Enjoying the timeline so far?

• Yes

Votes: 229 85.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 4.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 26 9.7%

• Total voters
The thing is if Franco will think that prestige is worth getting into trouble with Goering, Mussolini and Stalin.

Unless the Allies just hand over the place as a gift with no strings attached in exchange for continued neutrality

Ok, so I haven’t been as productive as I’d wished this weekend due to a sudden illness. After vomiting up the contents of my stomach several times yesterday, I’ve had to rest. Next chapters are still in the pipeline though.

Ok, so I haven’t been as productive as I’d wished this weekend due to a sudden illness. After vomiting up the contents of my stomach several times yesterday, I’ve had to rest. Next chapters are still in the pipeline though.
Your real life health is ALWAYS more important than what you post on an Internet forum.
Get well, BLC, and here’s hoping for your swift recovery.

Chapter 25 – The Eagle Soars
These kind of updates, one which follow almost the same path as OTL, are the hardest to write because I want to provide as much detail as possible without plagiarising other works on the subject (hence why I use footnotes and provide my sources). This shouldn't go on for too long though as the butterflies start to kick in.

Chapter 25 – The Eagle Soars
Battle of Britain (Part 2)
August 1940

Adlertag began on the morning of the 13th of August with the Dornier Do 17s of Kampfgeschwader 2 (KG 2) attacking their targets. Due to the errors of the Observer Corps and the WAAF [1] and the inaccuracy of the radar, their targets (RAF Hornchurch, RAF Eastchurch, RAF Manston [2]) were attacked. At Eastchurch, despite the airfield being hit and severe damage putting the airfield out of action until 4 o’clock in the afternoon, Fighter Command lost no aircraft [3]. During KG 2’s raid, 5 Do 17s bombers were lost to three fighter opposing squadrons: No. 74 (led by Adolph Malan), No. 111 & No. 151 Squadron.

1657572014281.png

Adolph Malan, commander of No. 74 Squadron RAF

Other morning attacks included the attack on RAF Kenley by KG 76 and other Essex and Kent airfields. Funnily enough, the go-ahead for morning attacks had been postponed by Göring due to poor weather. However, several units of Luftflotte 2 (commanded by Generalfeldmarschall Albert Kesselring) and the entirety of Luftflotte 3 (commanded by Generalfeldmarschall Hugo Sperrle) hadn’t received word of the delay. Indeed, Sperrle had ordered morning attacks to go ahead [4].

1657572074173.png

Albert Kesselring, commander of Luftflotte 2

1657572085451.png

Hugo Sperrle, commander of Luftflotte 3

At 05:00, 20 bombers were launched to bomb “RAF Farnborough” (home to the Royal Aircraft Establishment), 18 bombers from II./KG 54 headed for RAF Odiham at 05:05. These raids and others launched that morning were intercepted by British fighters from RAF Middle Wallop, RAF Northolt and RAF Tangmere, shooting down a Bf 109 fighters that had been guiding the bombers as well as 4 Ju 88 bombers.

Shortly after 11:00, ahead of the bombers of KG 54, multiple Bf 110 fighters had taken off in order to bring out the RAF fighters into battle, putting them out of position when the bombers arrived [5]. At least, that had been the plan. The bombers had been called off and the fighters had met the Hurricanes of No. 601 Squadron, losing 6 Bf 110s and 3 damaged to just 1 Hurricane downed and 1 other damaged.

Attacks renewed with the go-ahead given at 14:00 that afternoon. 90 minutes later, between 60-80 Ju 88s accompanied by 30 Bf 110s took off with their targets, RAF Boscombe Down and RAF Worthy Down, in mind. They and other groups of German aircraft were met by the entirety of No. 10 Group RAF. 6 out of 9 Ju 87s were shot down. Multiple German groups abandoned their original targets and headed for Portland with some heading to Southampton instead, destroying several warehouses [6].
Other targets struck by the Luftwaffe on the 13th included Southend-on-Sea, Canterbury, and RAF Detling (which wasn’t a Fighter Command base).
Then there were the night raids. During that night the cities of Aberdeen, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Sheffield, Swansea, Liverpool and Norwich all saw air raids [7].

With the days end, it was clear the Luftwaffe’s efforts to destroy the Royal Air Force had failed. German claims of 70 RAF fighters and 18 bombers, both Hurricane and Spitfire, was an exaggeration of 300% [8]. Actual losses for the RAF were 13 fighters and 11 bombers. It wasn’t just the Germans who overclaimed. Whilst Fighter Command claimed 78 German planes downed, the actual number was around 47-48 [9].
What mattered though, was that the RAF was still very much in the fight, and with it, Britain.

Footnotes
- [1] Women’s Auxiliary Air Force.
- [2] OTL targets for KG 2.
- [3] All as OTL.
- [4] This happened in OTL as well.
- [5] This happened in OTL as well, and went wrong in the same ways too.
- [6] Also in OTL, this update’s not that imaginative yet.
- [7] Also as in OTL.
- [8] Also OTL.
- [9] Also OTL.

Sources
Adlertag - Wikipedia
Luftwaffe order of battle August 1940 - Wikipedia

Comments?

great chapter as always

seems like the UK is holding up well
well for now

curious to see what happens in the middle east

LOOK INTO THE FUTURE (2)
Just a last quick update before I head off for a few days, so more detailed updates will be out soon. I'll try not to give too much away with this future update.

Look into the Future (2)
5 September 2022

Huntingdon, United Kingdom

Peter walked into the dry cleaners, trousers in hand. It was near closing time, a bit late for his trousers to be ironed for work by tomorrow morning. But that wasn't why Peter was here at this time in the evening. The front door was open and the only customer there was on old man, catching a cheeky 40 winks whilst he waited for his wash to finish.

The woman behind the counter turned to see Peter and nodded. He followed the woman into the back of the dry cleaners. and up a flight of stairs to a small flat. She opened a door into the bedroom. In there stood a tall gentleman in his late-40s, with dark brown hair, dressed in a red jumper and a pair of blue jeans. Also present was a shorter, younger man, sitting by a notebook with a sinister look on his face. After Peter walked in, the woman shut the door and headed off downstairs.

"Could you turn up the radio, please?" asked the tall man to the shorter one. The radio was switched up. One it was judged to be loud enough, the tall man leant over to Peter.

"So, Peter, have you got what I want?"

"Yes Andrew," Peter replied slightly timidly. "I believe these are what you're looking for."

"Andrew" (as he was known) began to sift through the papers in his lap. Peter's chest went tight with nerves. If his boss at the estate agent's found out the papers were missing, he'd be sacked in an instant, most likely arrested too. The papers in "Andrew's" hand weren't the actual documents, those were in his desk draw at home, but photocopies he'd taken using his own printer.

"God, I hope he's pleased," Peter thought internally to himself. "If not, he'll kill me. What about my wife, she doesn't know any of this? What about the kids? Wha..." His train of thought was interrupted by intermittent satisfactory noises from "Andrew" which served to calm Peter's nerves.

"Uh hm. Uh huh. Ooh. Looks good my friend," he remarked intermittently, in his accent that had a hint of South African, but Peter knew that "Andrew" was definitely not South African. "Looks like HQ will be pleased."

Peter breathed a subtle sigh of relief that "Andrew" did not see.

Comments?

Last edited:
INTERMISSION: Per Albin Hansson’s speech regarding war with Britain and France
Per Albin Hansson’s speech regarding war with Britain and France
10 March 1940

Swedes, good evening. It is with great sorrow that I address you tonight in a time of national emergency. Early this morning, military forces of Great Britain and France staged an attack upon our northern border from Norwegian territory, having previously attacked that nation at half past 9 o’clock yesterday, the 9th of March 1940. This attack of military aggression represents the more severe provocation towards Sweden since the days of Napoleon Bonaparte, and a clear violation of our previously stated principle of neutrality in the European war between Britain and France on the one hand and Germany on the other, triggered by the German invasion of Poland of the 1st September 1939.

At half past 9 o’clock, on the evening of 9th of March 1940, British and French forces launched their unprovoked military attack upon the neutral state of Norway, ultimately forcing that nation to capitulate at midnight this morning. At 8 o’clock, we received word from Björkliden that military forces were attempting to occupy the town and the railway, believed to heading for our Iron deposits in Kiruna in Norrbotten County. These forces were stopped outside Björkliden and identified as British and French. The Swedish government has summoned the representatives of Britain and France to explain the actions of their government taking unprovoked action, contrary to the laws of neutrality and international law, against Sweden, despite Sweden on her part strictly adhering to the rules of international law in her relations with Britain and France. They offered us no satisfactory reply.

The governments of Britain and France have thereby created a virtual state of war against us, our soldiers are continuing to resist ground attacks launched against them in Björkliden.

I feel it is essential to make it clear that any and all attacks against Swedish territory will be resisted to the utmost. Our independence, our borders and the rights of our people will never be violated without extreme cost to those who would dare try. I have ordered that the whole of the armed forces, including the army, navy and air force, to be fully mobilised and prepared to withstand any further assault upon our territorial integrity.

The Swedish government, consequently, recognises the taking of certain other steps as necessary to ensure the safety of the people. These will be broadcasted onc message to you has ceased.

We had no intention of engaging in hostilities, but we will never accept this flagrant violation of our neutrality and our territory. All areas of our country will be defended with fierce resistance. We will continue until our country is liberated. We will take whatever steps we feel to be necessary to ensure the protection of Sweden and its people. I hope that this present emergency can be resolved without unnecessary bloodshed, and that the forces of justice and the rule of law may triumph. But whatever comes, we will defend our nation and our home. I thank you and good night
.”

Comments?

Last edited:
I understand the principle of the Swedish government. However considering the world of this TL it is a very strange move. Defending your neutrality is a good thing, but moving your country in the direction of the side were even Communist Russia is make it a bit unlikely.
At least it seams that the Swedish politicians make an odd decision not favoring the short and long term interest of Sweden and the Swedish population, even disregarding OTL hindsight knowledge.

Defending your neutrality is a good thing, but moving your country in the direction of the side were even Communist Russia is make it a bit unlikely
What can you do otherwise? If they hate the Soviets that much they would have just turned around to the British and said "we'll help you and declare war on the Axis." But they didn't, they are resisting the Allies.

What can you do otherwise? If they hate the Soviets that much they would have just turned around to the British and said "we'll help you and declare war on the Axis." But they didn't, they are resisting the Allies.
Given the sense of that time, the fear and aversion against Communist was very large in Europe, and even possible greater in a country close to the Sovjet Union. Only several months ago Sweden (passively)supported Finland against the Sovjet Union. Not to mention the numerous Swedish volunteers during the Finish-Sovjet war.
To me it seams a bit hard to sell to the Swedish population.
It seams to me more sensible to side with he nation who owns the largest fleet on earth and the nation who owns one of the largest armies of Europe ( in the view of 1939) and are both democratic , or at least not totalitarian like the other two.
I just want to say;
That France and the UK are violating your neutrality is a big thing but after contemplating your options I find it hard to understand the Swedish move.
But who knows let see what the story brings us.....

Last edited:
I think that regarless who wins and how this war ends, Swedish invasion remains always/very long pretty conroversial.

I can understand both sides. Brits needed better strategic position and avoid iron of Swedish Lappland going to Germany but I can too see Swedish POV since they just wanted to be alone and remain neutral nation which it has been already since days of Napoleon. And answer whether invasion fas justificated or not depends are you asking from Brit or Swede.

I think that regarless who wins and how this war ends, Swedish invasion remains always/very long pretty conroversial.

I can understand both sides. Brits needed better strategic position and avoid iron of Swedish Lappland going to Germany but I can too see Swedish POV since they just wanted to be alone and remain neutral nation which it has been already since days of Napoleon. And answer whether invasion fas justificated or not depends are you asking from Brit or Swede.
Understandable the position to defend your nation
neutrality, how ever, his is more an emotion based disision rather than a real politic motivated one....but the story will learn us more

Understandable the position to defend your nation
neutrality, how ever, his is more an emotion based disision rather than a real politic motivated one....but the story will learn us more
Sweden's position in kinda complex. They started out by resisting British invasion in the north., and it ended up spiralling out of control.

British bombing of Kiruna caused Stockholm to overestimate British capabilities and so accepted Germany's offer of assistance given that Sweden's air force in early 1940 wasn't great, the German presence caused German intelligence to be able to infiltrate Swedish society, leading to the exposure of the Anglo-Swedish negotiations of June 1940 and the Westman Affair.

Imagine a snowball effect. The first roll of the snowball was the British invasion and despite Sweden's best attempts to catch it, it just ended up running away from them. They don't like the situation they're in at all, but they've lost control of events and now have no choice but to accept German co-belligerence at the minimum.

EDIT: Plus, not fighting if your country is attacked is a certain way to discredit your country's honour and invite others to do the same. If Sweden wouldn't resist British forces, what would their be to stop German or Soviet ones pouring in? But still, good points raised.

Last edited:
Could Sweden assume the Danes status of Model protectorate? Could this lead to a Finland style refuse for Jewish refugees.

Could Sweden assume the Danes status of Model protectorate? Could this lead to a Finland style refuse for Jewish refugees.
Despite the Westman Affair, the Swedes are still more independent than Denmark both in OTL and ITTL. Think more like Austria-Hungary after the Sixtus Affair (except without the whole "on the verge of collapse" thing), still independent but de facto subordinate to a greater power (in both cases, Germany).

The Swedes will still try to maximise their independence from Germany, however, despite being forced to cooperate on military matters.