Votes: 13 4.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 26 9.7%

• Total voters
INTERMISSION: Wood War Cabinet, August 1940
Wood War Cabinet
August 1940

1653742507103.png

Edward F. L. Wood (formerly Viscount Halifax)
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
Minister of Defence

1653742590619.png

Clement Attlee
Lord Privy Seal

1653742620558.png

Sir John Anderson
Lord President of the Council

1653742639356.png

Anthony Eden
Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs

1653742706857.png

David Lloyd George
Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries

1653742694058.png

Arthur Greenwood
Minister without portfolio

Comments?

Last edited:
Lloyd George's Ministry obviously doesn't matter as it's just a sinecure so he can be in the War Cabinet, but wouldn't he be given something more prestigious than Agriculture and Fisheries?

Lloyd George's Ministry obviously doesn't matter as it's just a sinecure so he can be in the War Cabinet, but wouldn't he be given something more prestigious than Agriculture and Fisheries?

Lloyd George developed pretty deep sympathy towards Germany in 1930's. I doubt that there was enough of trust towards him to give any other cabinet position. At least they probably thinks him being pretty harmless.

Churchill offered the Agriculture ministry to Lloyd George in OTL. Here, Wood (i.e. Halifax) offers him the same job, but here Lloyd George is willing to accept it without serving alongside Chamberlain.

I’m never going to get used to saying “Wood” instead of “Halifax” but hey, needs must.

Lloyd George developed pretty deep sympathy towards Germany in 1930's. I doubt that there was enough of trust towards him to give any other cabinet position. At least they probably thinks him being pretty harmless.
I have plans for Lloyd George later on in the story, just a matter of time.

INTERMISSION: Edward F. L. Wood’s first radio broadcast as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, 15 July 1940
Next chapter will be out soon, but here's another speech I thought you'd all like:

Edward F. L. Wood’s first radio broadcast as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom [1]
15 July 1940

I am addressing you tonight, for the first time directly over wireless, as Prime Minister, in what is a solemn hour for our country, our empire, our allies, and of the cause of freedom and justice itself. Just under a month ago, our ally of France was forced to surrender to the forces of Nazism and Bolshevism following an extraordinary breakthrough involving heavily armoured, fast-moving tanks and intense aerial bombardments. Indeed, it was a colossal military catastrophe, one which very nearly turned for us into what could have been the worst military disaster in our long history had our expeditionary forces in Europe not been successfully evacuated from the beaches of Dunkirk by the Royal Navy and donated civilian ships, covered in the skies by the airmen of the Royal Air Force.

Now Göring his band of criminals are sure to turn their guns, their planes, and their ships on us, as is his ally in the east, Stalin. And I know that many of you will be wondering if the Prussian and Russian jackboots that have stormed their way across Poland, Finland, the Low Countries and France will find their way into our island home, into our streets, our fields, our towns and villages, our rolling hills, or our industrial cities? And whether we too will be forced to accept the total domination of Britain to the tyrannical hegemony that befalls Europe? I suspect that Herr Göring is wondering that himself, and Marshal Stalin queries with his cabal on similar matters.

Well, both my head and my heart join to tell you with all the conviction that I can muster, that the answer to that is a confident and unwavering no! Such an invasion will never succeed in subduing us in our struggle and our duty. Such a menace of tyranny may have subdued much of the European continent, but they shall never extinguish the light of liberty, justice and freedom for all men and all nations; they shall never extinguish that flame from our isles.

Every day we our growing stronger. We have under arms a million and a half men in the British Army. And every day, their strength, their resolve and their striking power grow ever deadlier. Furthermore, in addition to the Regular Army, we have more than a million men in the Local Defence Volunteers ready to meet and attack any airborne invader
[2].

We will not prostrate ourselves before the invader, should he come to Britain. Whilst it would be no pleasure to any one of us to watch our towns and our cities fought over street by street, it is a sacrifice we are willing to make to devour and destroy any invading army upon our shores. Even if the great city of London were to lie in ashen ruin, it would be of great reassurance to know that there would be nowhere for the Swastika or the Sickle to be hoisted by the enemy.

It has been a good week for the Royal Air Force, with Fighter Command reporting that German aircraft attacking our convoys in the Channel or molesting our coastlines have been shot down at a rate of 5 to 1 compared to our own losses. We should be most pleased with our fighter pilots, who are fighting in the skies with ever-growing skill and courage, alert to any enemy planes intruding from over the Channel. Nevertheless, it is likely that the next few weeks will see the aerial battles intensify and move further inland, possibly with the addition of Soviet aircraft to accompany the menace of the Luftwaffe.

Patrolling the seas with over 1,000 armed ships is the Royal Navy, ready and able to come to the aid of any part of the British Empire or any of our allies that may be under threat, in addition to maintaining our connections to any part of the world from which aid to us is being delivered. Our food reserves lie in more than sufficient quantities, despite 10 months of raids conducted against our shipping.

I sit at the head of an all-party government, representing all factions and all creeds, appointed by His Majesty King George. We are supported in our work by a freely elected Parliament and watched over by a free press. However, despite the many factors and opinions which may divide us, one strand stands as that which unites us all whether we be in government, in the fighting services, or working in the factories or the fields. Namely, that there is no extremity which we would ever shy away from in the defence of our nation, our Empire, our Allies, and the cause of freedom itself. We are not fighting this war merely to defend ourselves, although we certainly are fighting to defend ourselves, we are fighting for the free spirit of humanity, and for the ability of all men to live in the light of freedom. A spirit which, with the help of almighty God, Göring’s or Stalin’s bombs, ships, or planes will never eradicate. I wish you all well, and pray that this evil thrust upon the world be resolutely and completely defeated and destroyed. Thank you.

Footnotes
- [1] E. F. L. Wood is of course known in OTL as Lord Halifax, just without his peerage which he renounced in Chapter 21.
- [2] Better known as the "Home Guard" or "Dad's Army". Formed during the tail end of Chamberlain's premiership, Chapter 20 has been amended to mention it.

Sources
YouTube:

Comments?

Last edited:
great speech

the soviet air force and navy fron what I understand we're at best Medicore

So I am curious how they can contribute to the current axis strategic situation

great speech

By the end of the war, the Soviet Air Force was one of the best in the world, although by this point it was terrible. The Soviet Navy was never really all that strong during the war, and was small and mostly composed of obsolete ships.

Solid speech, but a few notes for the proto-teleprompter:
if Prussian and Russian jackboots that has stormed
The Prussian, have stormed
whether we too would be forced to accept
Will be
freedom for all men and all nations, they shall never extinguish that flame
Semicolon.
with Fighter Command reporting that over 5 to 1 of all German aircraft attacking our convoys
I assume 1 in 5?

Really liked the actual content, didn't downplay the seriousness while giving solid reasons for hope, and spitting defiance throughout.

great speech

There's also the question of how much Stalin would actually be willing to provide.

great speech

It was just a reminder that Britain ITTL is at war with the Soviet Union as well as Germany. Realistically, any military aid from the Soviet Union would at most be at most a handful of aircraft as of summer 1940. But in the Middle East though…
I assume 1 in 5?

TBH, I found the 5 to 1 bit in this Churchill speech from around the same time and thought it sounded good:

I think it means that there were 5 German losses for every British one but I don’t know.
The link has now been added as a source in the update. The other grammar errors will also be corrected.

EDIT: I changed the 5 to 1 but round to make more sense. I just hope those that it was it means and I’m not making a bigger mistake!!

Last edited:
Was Subas Bose as excited about an alliance with Russia, as with Japan and the Reich? India is a powder keg at this moment.

kham_coc

Banned
Speaking of whom, what is Tokyo up to right now? Will they join with the Allies against the Soviets or stay neutral or join the Axis? And how are the Italians handling the current state of affairs?
Tokyo should be mostly happy, the strike north faction wasn't really strong, and consequently Tokyo shouldn't have much issue tolerating the USSR in the Axis (China is an issue though).
Italy really do not like the USSR, and of course regards their inclusion into the Axis as a problem as it renders Italy a spare tire. On the other hand, it is the only country who's war is going badly, and consequently they aren't in a position to complain - So even if the USSR in the Axis weakens Italy in the Balkans, the Italians should have no options beyond being quiet and politely asking for some more help in Africa.

Speaking of whom, what is Tokyo up to right now? Will they join with the Allies against the Soviets or stay neutral or join the Axis? And how are the Italians handling the current state of affairs?
I’m still slightly unsure with Japan. It really boils down to whether Japan chooses to expand its influence into Indochina like they did in OTL and how the Americans and the European-Soviet axis react (remember that Göring called Japan a “Far East Italy” in OTL and Khalkhin Gol wasn’t that long ago for the USSR). But Japan could still go either way at this point.

As for Italy, they jumped in just as France was falling just as they did in OTL. Whilst Mussolini’s fascist regime is still obviously anti-communist, he’s more than willing to play ball with Moscow to benefit his own interests. Maybe using Stalin as a counterweight to German influence in the Balkans perhaps?

and Khalkhin Gol wasn’t that long ago for the USSR
And that also means that Japan would be stupid to try to extract concessions out of the Axis when they know they are not prepared or willing to fight in the Far East and Manchuria. Yes, it exposed Soviet deficiencies in both the Far East and the military too, but that can be fixed easier than building 10,000 tanks and training a million more men to fight the world's largest and third most populous country.

Tokyo should be mostly happy, the strike north faction wasn't really strong, and consequently Tokyo shouldn't have much issue tolerating the USSR in the Axis (China is an issue though).
Italy really do not like the USSR, and of course regards their inclusion into the Axis as a problem as it renders Italy a spare tire. On the other hand, it is the only country who's war is going badly, and consequently they aren't in a position to complain - So even if the USSR in the Axis weakens Italy in the Balkans, the Italians should have no options beyond being quiet and politely asking for some more help in Africa.
I'm not sure that things with regards to Italy will be as bad as in OTL. Britain would have to station more troops in the Middle East and in India in the case that the Soviets cross the Iranian border: Operation Compass would be either delayed and/or weaker. The Italians could realistically stop the British at Bardia if they deploy correctly (maybe Balbo doesn't die in his plane crash).
The same thing with Greece; in OTL Bulgaria was prevented from joining the invasion of Greece by a Turkish ultimatum. Now, with the USSR in the Axis, I don't think that ITTL Turkey will be soo keen on sending their ultimatum. With Bulgaria in the war, Greece won't be able to shift troops to the Albanian front and will be forced on the defensive. Even if slowly the Italians and the Bulgarians will advance and likely conquer Ioannina and Alexandroupoli. The invasion would likely have stalled not long after and required a german intervention to sort out the situation like in OTL. Things could change, however, with regards to Yugoslavia if the 1941 coup is prevented and the Axis promise Thessaloniki to Belgrade.