Yes, something to ensure the already hard-pressed Soviet defenses unravel completely. The location and the exact timing are yet to be determined, however.

The comparison does highlight the difficulties inherent in such undertakings, which are worth keeping in mind.
I think such an airborne operation could be very successful as long as the Germans don't overreach, which was a bad problem in OTL but things are different here.

Or,

"Letters from South Caucasus" - "The Guns of Baku" - "Sands of Baku"

It just gets worse from there....

Perhaps some of these will become TTL postwar movie titles.

I think such an airborne operation could be very successful as long as the Germans don't overreach, which was a bad problem in OTL but things are different here.

Oh, I agree, it won't fail as long as the goals are reasonable and the planning is thorough, they just need to be careful.

One of the key issues (see WW1) was the lack of rail / roads to run an effective offensive into Russia

Agreed, in TTL though the Axis have a lot more trucks and horse-drawn carts to deal with the conditions and will adopt a more step-by-step approach.

Why am I reminded of Marching Through Georgia here with all these title puns?

I can see the comparison now that you mention it.

Perhaps some of these will become TTL postwar movie titles.

Well, so long as Wagner's regime remain recognizably Nazis, it might be considered bad taste to make puns about their triumph.

Oh, right, mustn't forget Springtime for Wagner, if that hasn't been done yet.

"Back in the USSR?" While the Paratrooper idea is good, I would focus on logistics and logistics again. The best troops and equipment mean nothing without fuel, food and ammunition.

"Back in the USSR?" While the Paratrooper idea is good, I would focus on logistics and logistics again. The best troops and equipment mean nothing without fuel, food and ammunition.
Agree. Paratroopers are a nice addition, and could have their use in some specific areas, but the USSR is not Western Europe, logistics is far more important.

Paratrooper missions could provide some valuable experience for postwar German doctrines, but they are unlikely to have a huge impact on Barbarossa.

Did Germany have organizations/versions of anything like what the Seabee's were for the US in the Pacific?

I've often thought that was one of Germany's major flaws in Barbarossa. They knew how bad the transportation logistics were prior to the invasion. They should have had "divisions" of construction people following the advances creating logistics infrastructure.

Did Germany have organizations/versions of anything like what the Seabee's were for the US in the Pacific?

I've often thought that was one of Germany's major flaws in Barbarossa. They knew how bad the transportation logistics were prior to the invasion. They should have had "divisions" of construction people following the advances creating logistics infrastructure.
I read somewhere once ("Inside the Third Reich" maybe) that Albert Speer tried to put together such an organization at the start of the war but Hitler told him to stick to architecture, that the war would be over soon and he had more important things for him (Speer) to do.
Another one of Hitler's brilliant decisions.

I read somewhere once ("Inside the Third Reich" maybe) that Albert Speer tried to put together such an organization at the start of the war but Hitler told him to stick to architecture, that the war would be over soon and he had more important things for him (Speer) to do.

I thought Speer was another of those people we overrate when they actually took credit for other people's accomplishments. Of course, Nazi Germany being what it was, no doubt they had a lot of those.

I thought Speer was another of those people we overrate when they actually took credit for other people's accomplishments. Of course, Nazi Germany being what it was, no doubt they had a lot of those.
I agree but Speer isn't trying to take credit for someone else's accomplishment since no such organization was was put together but he could be taking advantage of hindsight here.
I suppose there might be some truth to his statement, he would've known what people to use since the Tod't Organization did this kind of work but IRRC only inside of Germany and he was an assistant to Todt.

Well, so long as Wagner's regime remain recognizably Nazis, it might be considered bad taste to make puns about their triumph.

Oh, right, mustn't forget Springtime for Wagner, if that hasn't been done yet.

I was thinking that in the TTL context they wouldn't be seen as puns.

Obviously, though, the last one won't be happening.

"Marching Through Caucasia" does have a nice ring to it, suitable as a chapter title.

It does bring up an evocative image.

Agree. Paratroopers are a nice addition, and could have their use in some specific areas, but the USSR is not Western Europe, logistics is far more important.

Paratrooper missions could provide some valuable experience for postwar German doctrines, but they are unlikely to have a huge impact on Barbarossa.

I completely agree here, the paratroopers are in the end a supplement. They can be more significant to an extent in this circumstance because there is a very specific and localized objective located relatively close to the Axis forces.

My understanding is that they didn't place as much weight to such knowledge as the extent of Soviet reserves was underestimated significantly, and as a result, it was thought that the serious fighting was going to take place relatively close to the border, where the bulk of the Red Army would be destroyed, allowing for a relatively unopposed advance farther east.

I agree but Speer isn't trying to take credit for someone else's accomplishment since no such organization was was put together but he could be taking advantage of hindsight here.
I suppose there might be some truth to his statement, he would've known what people to use since the Tod't Organization did this kind of work but IRRC only inside of Germany and he was an assistant to Todt.

From what I have read of him, the consensus seems to be that Speer tended to take credit for the results of accomplishments of his predecessors but that he also did have some genuine ones of his own.

trajen777

Banned
I think Speer was an excellent organizer and process person. I think the 3rd Reich had plenty of ideas they need a rationalize to sift through them and organize them. He did an excellent job of this as performance --

My understanding is that they didn't place as much weight to such knowledge as the extent of Soviet reserves was underestimated significantly, and as a result, it was thought that the serious fighting was going to take place relatively close to the border, where the bulk of the Red Army would be destroyed, allowing for a relatively unopposed advance farther east.

This seems incredibly short sighted, almost hard to believe. Knowing that they needed to travel some 700 miles from the front lines to Moscow you still have to run supplies behind your army. I find it hard to imagine an organization run as efficiently as the Wehrmacht would have a blind spot this large. Wow!

This seems incredibly short sighted, almost hard to believe. Knowing that they needed to travel some 700 miles from the front lines to Moscow you still have to run supplies behind your army. I find it hard to imagine an organization run as efficiently as the Wehrmacht would have a blind spot this large. Wow!
How else would you imagine the operation going ahead as OTL?

From what I understand, German logistics for Barbarossa were woefully inadequate and short sighted.
The OTL Whermact was not as efficient in some areas as it was in some others.

The OTL Wehrmacht was not as efficient in some areas as it was in some others.

Actually none of the belligerents during WW2 where any good at logistics.
  • Wallies could barely supply their forces in France less then 500 km from port, across a good road and rail network.
  • Red Army had to take a months long break after Bargation.
  • Japan and British were stuck in Burma because neither side could get supplies or numbers to the front.
  • Japan failed to get deeper in China mostly because of logistics, and much the same could be said for Chinese counter offensives.
This leads me to the fact that at the time of WW2, besides the general lack of understanding of Logistics, that the infrastructure was simply insufficiently developed to sustain million man army's on the move.

Also please note that during the 1st Golf War the US forces took months to build up a supply base in Saudi Arabia, for an advance that was planned to go no further than 400km. And that was while they were unopposed. So even today with full understanding of logistics, it still requires massive effort and investments in infrastructure to supply a million man army even if for only a short time.