W/I Calvin Coolidge's son didn't die?

What if Calvin Cooldige's son Calvin Jr. Had not died from blood poisoning in 1924, what if when he played the game of tennis that caused the blister which led to his death. What if he wore socks?

What would be the outcome to history, would things be the same, or would Calvin Coolidge have run for another term? What would that world be like?

If Calvin Jr. dies, there's a chance Coolidge would run again(I doubt it, though- he seemed sick of being POTUS regardless by 1928 and his son's death didn't stop him from running in 1924.)

Assuming he did run in 1928, he'd probably want to dump Dawes as VP- he apparently couldn't stand him. Borah had been on his short list in '24, and maybe with things going so well, the GOP leaders would agree to him.

The stock market crashes and the Depression is underway. Coolidge gets most of the blame, his popularity sinks, and he dies in office(probably ahead of OTL considering the stresses of the job).

President Borah does a 180 on the Depression compared to Coolidge. I don't know if he'd be able to do enough or differentiate himself enough from the Democratic nominee in 1932, who would probably be running against Coolidge's record with a platform similar to OTL's New Deal.

Is it possible Calvin Coolidge, Jr. goes into politics?

Anything's possible, but I think it'd be unlikely. IMO, it's out of character for one of Coolidge's sons to go into politics on their father's name- John didn't, and I see no reason why Calvin Jr. would.

Also, it's not like Coolidge had a great record as POTUS in the eyes of many Americans or was part of a political dynasty- where he falls as President tends to depend on where the person judging falls politically. Ergo, I don't think 'being Calvin Coolidge's son' would be the makings of a national political career. As a state and local politician, sure.

Anything's possible, but I think it'd be unlikely. IMO, it's out of character for one of Coolidge's sons to go into politics on their father's name- John didn't, and I see no reason why Calvin Jr. would.

Also, it's not like Coolidge had a great record as POTUS in the eyes of many Americans or was part of a political dynasty- where he falls as President tends to depend on where the person judging falls politically. Ergo, I don't think 'being Calvin Coolidge's son' would be the makings of a national political career. As a state and local politician, sure.

The major point was Coolidge before the death of his son was active and happy, in his own way. But after the death of his son, he went into a deep deep depression. Even his more out gowing wife was hit hard.

The major point was Coolidge before the death of his son was active and happy, in his own way. But after the death of his son, he went into a deep deep depression. Even his more out gowing wife was hit hard.

Do you think the death of his son put the 'Silent Cal' in Coolidge?

Recycling an old soc.history.what-if post of mine (with one update in the URLs)

As for a timeline without young Calvin's tragic death, it is arguable
that this might change not only Coolidge's decision not to run but his
conduct as president from mid-1924 on. Robert E. Gilbert has written a
book (which I have not yet had the chance to read) entitled *The Tormented
President: Calvin Coolidge, Death, and Clinical Depression* the thesis of
which (judging from the publisher's description and from reviews) is that
Coolidge was a very effective president until his son's death: he "took
control of his party, dazzled the press, distanced himself from the
Harding scandals, and showed ability in domestic and foreign policy. His
son's death would destroy all of this. Gilbert documents Coolidge's
subsequent dysfunctional behavior, including sadistic tendencies, rudeness
and cruelty to family and aides, and odd interactions with the White House
staff."
http://www.amazon.com/Tormented-President-Coolidge-Depression-Contributions/dp/0275979318

According to the review at
http://www.calvin-coolidge.org/coolidge-the-victim.html the book's "thesis is that the tragic death of Calvin Coolidge, Junior, in
1924, caused by an infection he contracted while playing tennis on the
White House grounds, reawakened the memory of childhood traumas in a way
that threw his father into a deep depression and emotional paralysis. This
condition, which lasted until his death in 1933, effectively divided the
Coolidge presidency into two parts: a year of accomplishment and four
years that were unsuccessful, unhappy, and dysfunctional." While the
President coped with his psychological trauma, 'the nation lost its
president.' The failures of the Coolidge administration, consequently, can
be chalked up to sheer bad luck -- the combination of an unforeseeable
tragedy and a leader unequipped to control his inner reaction to it...."
As this same review notes, one problem is that this alleged decline in
presidential effectiveness does not seem to have been noticed by
Coolidge's contemporaries, even those who opposed his policies:

"The really startling feature of Gilbert's thesis is that it describes a
radical change in behavior by one of the most visible public figures of
the 1920s -- and that this supposed change escaped the notice of every
contemporary observer, friendly or hostile. Senator Hiram Johnson of
California, a political enemy of Coolidge who ran against him for the
nomination in 1924 and harbored deep suspicions of his policies, saw the
President periodically when invited to the White House and always
described him the same way, as a deeply partisan, scheming politician.
Harlan Stone, his Attorney General and Supreme Court appointee, did not
see him at the end of his term as an exhausted man, but expressed the hope
Coolidge would return to Washington as Senator from Massachusetts.
Gilbert, recognizing this inconvenient fact, argues that 'the concept of
clinical depression was less well understood in the 1920s' and that
Coolidge's depression was concealed by an already grim personality. (One
thinks of Dorothy Parker's line, 'How could they tell?')
"But this was a man with thousands of eyes on him -- reporters in need of
copy, politicians and lobbyists in need of advantage, and sharp-eyed
Washington gossips in general. At the time he left office, he was very
popular and considered highly successful. Although historians are adjured
not to trust negative evidence, the absence of comment makes one
uncomfortable..."

Do you think the death of his son put the 'Silent Cal' in Coolidge?

His taciturn persona was well-established before the death of his son. The 'Silent Cal' nickname was coined during his stint as Vice President.

His behavior certainly changed after the death of his son, but not in that way.

If Calvin Jr. dies, there's a chance Coolidge would run again(I doubt it, though- he seemed sick of being POTUS regardless by 1928 and his son's death didn't stop him from running in 1924.)

Assuming he did run in 1928, he'd probably want to dump Dawes as VP- he apparently couldn't stand him. Borah had been on his short list in '24, and maybe with things going so well, the GOP leaders would agree to him.

The stock market crashes and the Depression is underway. Coolidge gets most of the blame, his popularity sinks, and he dies in office(probably ahead of OTL considering the stresses of the job).

President Borah does a 180 on the Depression compared to Coolidge. I don't know if he'd be able to do enough or differentiate himself enough from the Democratic nominee in 1932, who would probably be running against Coolidge's record with a platform similar to OTL's New Deal.

I very much doubt Coolidge would choose Borah as his running mate. Maybe he considered it in 1924 to blunt La Follette's appeal in the West, but he did not like the man. "Borah was also perceived by many to have such a contrary nature the taciturn President Calvin Coolidge made a comment much quoted about the Idaho senator. Borah was an enthusiast of horseback riding and would regularly ride his horse through Washington’s Rock Creek Park. Coolidge, no admirer of Borah, wondered how Borah could bring himself to travel in the same direction as the horse."
http://www.knoxfocus.com/2013/01/william-e-borah-the-lion-of-idaho/

I think it's more likely that Coolidge (like Hoover) would choose Charles Curtis as his running mate. (Indeed, Coolidge was said to prefer Curtis as his successor for president; he did not care much for the "Wonder Boy" Hoover.) Incidentally, that means that if as in OTL Coolidge died before Inauguration Day in 1933--and I can hardly believe that being president during those terrible years would *lengthen* his life--Curtis would become the first Native American president of the US (as a boy he lived with his mother on the Kaw reservation).

I very much doubt Coolidge would choose Borah as his running mate. Maybe he considered it in 1924 to blunt La Follette's appeal in the West, but he did not like the man. "Borah was also perceived by many to have such a contrary nature the taciturn President Calvin Coolidge made a comment much quoted about the Idaho senator. Borah was an enthusiast of horseback riding and would regularly ride his horse through Washington’s Rock Creek Park. Coolidge, no admirer of Borah, wondered how Borah could bring himself to travel in the same direction as the horse."
http://www.knoxfocus.com/2013/01/william-e-borah-the-lion-of-idaho/

I think it's more likely that Coolidge (like Hoover) would choose Charles Curtis as his running mate. (Indeed, Coolidge was said to prefer Curtis as his successor for president; he did not care much for the "Wonder Boy" Hoover.) Incidentally, that means that if as in OTL Coolidge died before Inauguration Day in 1933--and I can hardly believe that being president during those terrible years would *lengthen* his life--Curtis would become the first Native American president of the US (as a boy he lived with his mother on the Kaw reservation).

Scholarship is pretty scarce on this(and it is rather difficult to find politicians that Coolidge actually liked), but that could be a fair characterization of Cooldige's rationale.

A President Curtis would be interesting. Onward, to Victory!

640px-Calvin_Coolidge%2C_Mrs._Coolidge_and_Senator_Curtis.jpg

Calvin Jr. was quite young, it's hard to say whether or not it fits his personality. I'm just suggesting if he grew up and decided to pursue politics, in the thirties and forties, Coolidge's name was a lot better one to have behind him than say, Hoover or Harding. It's not like he's guaranteeed a free ride, but it'd certainly help.

I have to say this thread has been interesting reading. I had a professors who dissmissed the idea that losing a son would have had a devastating effect on Cooldge. hHe thought people would have expected to lose a child.

I know my great grandfather, born in 1881, was devastated by the death of his 67 year old son, which happened when he was 89.

I have to say this thread has been interesting reading. I had a professors who dissmissed the idea that losing a son would have had a devastating effect on Cooldge. hHe thought people would have expected to lose a child.

Not by the 1920s and especially not for an otherwise healthy 16 year-old, most child deaths occurred when they were much younger than that. It's pretty hard to argue that the sudden death of an older favorite child can't have a devastating effect on a parent, especially one in a stressful job.

If I am to be an armchair psychologist, though, the death of Coolidge's son deepened a "closed-off-ness" that may have started with the death of Coolidge's mother when he was 12.