Vocational education question

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by La Rouge Beret, Feb 24, 2019.

1. La Rouge Beret Well-Known Member

Hello all, I'm conducting research for a timeline and was looking for someone to talk (PM) with about creating a strong vocational education sector in a developing country.

2. Nik Speaker To Cats

Hi ! Although I can't help you with EDU stuff, could you be a bit more specific about what type(s) of vocational training you mean ?
    As phrased, it's rather broad...

3. La Rouge Beret Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about trades in this case: electrician, carpenters, boilermakers, diesel fitters, & draftsmen etc.

For me I've been reading about the German apprenticeship system as an example.

Has that helped?

4. Nik Speaker To Cats

What baseline are you growing from ?

A big city's college(s) could easily set up, support and grow affiliated out-stations, but security must be a concern.
    Do you have to deal with local 'criminal elements' ranging from neighbourhood 'protection' gangs all the way to tribal / regional 'warlords' ?

Not to mention religious / political fanatics of a dozen 'orrible varieties.

Bootstrapping a 'failed state' is the stuff of nightmare. Probably safer to ship local candidates across several borders, train them there...

5. La Rouge Beret Well-Known Member

This is in 1960's Cambodia, so candidates would be sourced from secondary schools.

While there are only two universities IIRC, so the preference I think would be perhaps adopting the German model of academic streaming (i.e. university / trade & there is a third one).

6. Vuu Resident Serb expert

Mass vocational education... Hmmm...

Well, technically, here there are gymnasiums and expert schools - the gymnasiums are very wide in their spectrum of education, but unless you want to go to college, it's useless. The expert schools - often translated as "vocational schools" - these are a little more specialized - economy, law, electronics, machinery, art... The "worse" schools are pretty vocational in the meaning you're looking for really. Note: these are all secondary schools, after elementary, so after the age of 15 basically.

Anyways, the lowest tier is zanat - or trade (not as in merchants and shit, but as a specific skill). This isn't even formally defined as far as I know, it basically consists of the kid simply being sent to help/be an apprentice to a worker - mechanic, tire fitter, electrician, locksmith etc etc, though this is being greatly replaced by the schools mostly.

But maybe you're looking for something like this?

7. La Rouge Beret Well-Known Member

Yeah possibly I think the zanat seems like the right strategy and encouraging greater number of apprenticeships. My question was how to replicate the positive view of tradesmen held in Germany as well?

8. Lautréamont Moresnet will rise again

I'm getting the impression here that the Serbian system is a pure apprenticeship one, which would not quite be comparable with the German one if true. Germany has a mixed apprenticeship system where the kids spend 2/3 or something of their time as an apprentice getting hands-on experience of their chosen trade, and the third third in school learning theoretical aspects of said trade plus some general education.

Not sure if the German view is that positive - we're not exactly an utopia free of classist prejudice. Actually right now tradesmen are complaining of being overworked and unable to recruit apprentices, which kinda runs counter to what we've been told about the changing economical landscape.