Victory of the USSR in the Cold War - The fate of role-playing games.

With the second there is a problem - in the east role-playing games appeared only in 1989. The only role-playing game of Soviet origin - "Enchanted Country", and this is the simplified first prediction of Dungeons and Dragons.

One of the participants becomes the presenter.
He is the storyteller and the manager of the game. The number of players from two to six. The situation of the players and their opponents in the game is determined by the number of life points or so-called. risk points (RR). In the course of fights, when the player or his enemy is defeated, these glasses are taken away from them. Having lost all EOs is eliminated from the game.
Combat occurs with the help of cubes. Two cubes rush: three-digit and six-digit. The number of points scored on a three-digit basis is: 1 - 0 points, 2 - 6 points, 3 - 12 points. To this value, the points that fell on the six-figure are added (for example: "2" in the three-digit and "5" in the six-digit mean 6 + 5 = 11 points).
The number of points required to hit the opponent's players is determined by his CLASS OF ADVANCES (CD).
Similarly, the number of points needed to hit a player is determined.
For the destruction of each danger, the player is given a certain number of GAME POINTS (cost of danger). If the risk score determines the life of the participants in the game, the game points (AI) characterize the success of the players' adventures.
When you select the required number of GamePoints, the participant rises to the LEVEL. Beginners are at zero level. Up on the level can receive a spell and the right to increase their OR from 1 to 6 points (i.e., throw one six-figure cube). Killing a cube to determine the risk points is called the throw of the LIFE CUBE (for dangers). Points of Risk in the game are not given, given the number of their life cubes.
Qualities - characteristics of the player
There are five characters: a warrior, elf, mage, cron (ranger), gnome (dwarf - in Russia such creatures do not distinguish).

1024px-Набор_для_игры_Заколдованная_страна.jpg

6jNyZ0LlNMg.jpg

I have informed the topicstarter in private message, now writing it here and in English:

If the PoD for Soviet Cold War victory is successful technocratic USSR, then the "historic"/"fantasy" roleplay would move more to LARP niche. However, there may emerge a creature non-existent/nearly non-existent in OTL: sci-fi based "edutainment" tabletop games. Soviet pioneers being the main audience, and plot being based on some cult classic novels.
I can see the classes in the game being engineer, biologist, geologist/physicist, medic, and the gameplay being based on "exploring some distant planet in far future", encounters with sentient alien races optional.

USSR tended to look on fantasy genre as "kiddy" stuff, one step removed from fairy tales. Now, sci-fi based gaming may appeal to older segment, as old as first-second year students probably.

I also think that fantasy stuff coming from West would be adopted to kids niche.

I have informed the topicstarter in private message, now writing it here and in English:

If the PoD for Soviet Cold War victory is successful technocratic USSR, then the "historic"/"fantasy" roleplay would move more to LARP niche. However, there may emerge a creature non-existent/nearly non-existent in OTL: sci-fi based "edutainment" tabletop games. Soviet pioneers being the main audience, and plot being based on some cult classic novels.
I can see the classes in the game being engineer, biologist, geologist/physicist, medic, and the gameplay being based on "exploring some distant planet in far future", encounters with sentient alien races optional.

USSR tended to look on fantasy genre as "kiddy" stuff, one step removed from fairy tales. Now, sci-fi based gaming may appeal to older segment, as old as first-second year students probably.

I also think that fantasy stuff coming from West would be adopted to kids niche.

even the soviets liked escape though.. be it in novels of fantasy, or cinema or just a dacha- garden - and bottle of samgioun or Georgian wine ;) everyone likes to escape life to a free place that even the party or kgb or ones neighbors cant invade.

so while fantasy is the realm of the youth, those ideas carry over into adulthood. My father loved science fiction as a kid, he passed that on to me, I pass it onto my kids. Soviet fiction was often rather arduous or very childish at times, but there was serious science fiction as well. My wifes father loves soviet fiction and her mother loves soviet fantasy tales

I only thought that Efremov was the Russian Tolkien placeholder, and as a girl being born and raised by parents from Soviet STEM nerdy culture, I have certain stereotypes. y exposure to Soviet lifestyle was very brief, I was born in 1986, after all.

There was a cross between "fantasy"/sci-fi, but I tended to look to RPG from students' POV, as those would be the greatest strata of potential roleplayers. Also, where is the PoD? I think that in worlds like "Galloping Tortoise" (USSR successfuly stalemates in space race, Brezhnev is assassinated in mid-1970ies, and technocratic government rules from then on) sci-fi would be held in much higher esteem by potential gamers than princesses, swords and dragons. Not to say they don't have a niche.

However, I can see the settings that take the best of both worlds, like the RPG (loose) adaptation of "Hard to be God" by Strugatsky brothers (PCs are the "progressors" on some medieval planet, with "weird magic" explained away as alien technology misunderstood by locals).

even the soviets liked escape though.. be it in novels of fantasy, or cinema or just a dacha- garden - and bottle of samgioun or Georgian wine ;) everyone likes to escape life to a free place that even the party or kgb or ones neighbors cant invade.

so while fantasy is the realm of the youth, those ideas carry over into adulthood. My father loved science fiction as a kid, he passed that on to me, I pass it onto my kids. Soviet fiction was often rather arduous or very childish at times, but there was serious science fiction as well. My wifes father loves soviet fiction and her mother loves soviet fantasy tales
The fact is - some people wanted to adapt the RPGs for education - "Physics students from MGPI named after Lenin, who joined the commune in" Watch "(M.Kozharinov, V.Sokolova, I.Kolerov), politicized, put forward the idea of creating a system of communal organizations that transform society, for Lishin it was too much.

As a result, the "Dozor" disintegrated, but its fragments formed a new social structure, initially including the club at the place of residence "Dawn" and the pedagogic "Wind". Later, a detachment was created for schoolchildren "Strela", and the structure acquired integrity under the name of the Revolutionary Military Council.

In search of new forms of work RVSovtsy combined communal social modeling and romance inherent in such groups as the Sverdlovsk children's club "Caravel", which was headed by the famous children's writer V. Krapivin. He "rested" on a fabulous entourage, fencing, marches, maritime affairs. Using this experience, one of the ideologists of the Revolutionary Military Council, M. Kozharinov, developed the method of a large role-playing game (BRIG): "The author of the idea reasoned quite logically that to understand certain processes - social, historical, economic - is best for children in the game, and in such a game, which no one has ever heard. So the first BRIG appeared. Terminology: BRIG - Great Role Playing Game. This refers to a game with a number of participants of at least 50 people and with a visit to the locality "[1074].

In 1986-1987 years. in the mouth of the Nerl and in Moscow were "feudal brigs", who modeled the medieval society [1075]. According to the plan of the Communards, it would be possible to model the communist society in the future. However, the fate of the emerging role-playing movement has developed differently. After the collapse of the USSR, it became a commercial basis, and in the predominant part it became an instrument for the onset of fantasy on rational culture. Games - "rolevki" and remained mostly "feudal" or based on the plots of militants. Role-playing games, the technology of which was also developed by innovator educators, continues to be used as a teaching tool. "

marathag

Banned

Ah, Marc Miller's Traveller for the Win. Vector movement, courtesy of Triplanetary or Mayday! It's Kerbal Space Program, on paper, in a Future Imperium that Earth is a minor part of.

Ah, Marc Miller's Traveller for the Win. Vector movement, courtesy of Triplanetary or Mayday! It's Kerbal Space Program, on paper, in a Future Imperium that Earth is a minor part of.
In the Soviet Union, the idea of "galactic empires" ... at least was not widespread.

There would be more politically correct "Federations", of course.
As far as I know, in Soviet science fiction there are very few examples of an interstellar political order. The most commonly described is a social organization within a single planetary system.

Last edited:
"Men as Gods" by Sergei Snegov? Though TBH it's single Solar system + a colony (Ora) + a number of protectorates populated by non-spacefaring races (as of first book of trilogy, gets murkier with alliance of three races).
Bulychev's Aliceverse may also count as federation, though PoV of a schoolgirl from high middle class is not indicative of political situation in the wide Galactic, and there are a few things we know - such as gold is no longer considered precious metal, there is no such term as "battle robot" though there ARE highly trained deep space exploration robots (which may easily be used as robotic space marine stand ins in any aggressive conflict), and space piracy is a thing.

"Men as Gods" by Sergei Snegov? Though TBH it's single Solar system + a colony (Ora) + a number of protectorates populated by non-spacefaring races (as of first book of trilogy, gets murkier with alliance of three races).
Bulychev's Aliceverse may also count as federation, though PoV of a schoolgirl from high middle class is not indicative of political situation in the wide Galactic, and there are a few things we know - such as gold is no longer considered precious metal, there is no such term as "battle robot" though there ARE highly trained deep space exploration robots (which may easily be used as robotic space marine stand ins in any aggressive conflict), and space piracy is a thing.
The work of Snegov is an exception (and in many ways is parodic in nature). Books about Alice - first of all literature for children.