Victoria II

Grey Wolf

Donor
Treacherously annexing some primitives, like Zulu or Madagascar, might be easier than invading Portugal...

LOL, I annexed Yemen and Oman in two wars back-to-back, then turned on Egypt when it had a revolution and stole one of its provinces

Zulu is one of my great allies that always sends me a force when I go into battle (Atjeh is another)

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I recently got the game; it's my first Paradox game.

I've heard that it's surprisingly easy to mod; anyone got a good tutorial to get me started? :D

Grey Wolf

Donor
I recently got the game; it's my first Paradox game.

I've heard that it's surprisingly easy to mod; anyone got a good tutorial to get me started? :D

Go back a couple of pages and Brian Roastbeef links to the mod guides at the Paradox forums. I've managed to mod in around 8 nations, some as releasable, some to start with, and also given Denmark back its missing Accra colony

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Well, this was probably the shortest ACW in alternate history, as the USA surrendered after a couple of months since its armies were having no effect - I went back, regrouped, launched an attack with 32k against 20k and still lost. With no reinforcements in prospect the only other alternative was bankruptcy and STILL LOSING, so I accepted the first CSA peace offer that came my way

In the 30 years since this, leading up to the early 1890s the USA has become an armed camp with potential enemies on all sides in Britain, the CSA and Mexico. I still own Texas (which includes the bit I nicked from Mexico right at the start) but it is sundered from the rest of the Union by Confederate territory. Most of the USA is covered in level 4 forts, with 50k armies stationed strategically arround the place, with fleets of monitors for coastal defence and fleets of ironclads for more power projection. I've built both great canals, and have started to colonise some islands in the Pacific, plus Somaliland (once my railway-obsessed capitalists finally let me build a naval base at Suez)

Foreign policy has largely been confined to making allies in S America, as my only ventures into war have been disastrous, both to try and bolster Egypt against Ottoman aggression, but in the first war I sent my army to land in what looked a safe area but by the time it got there it disembarked in the middle of 3 larger Ottoman armies which then chased it across Egypt and destroyed it before the pyramids! The second time my army was somehow attacked by over 100k Ottomans and wiped out. Both times I also lost the majority of ships sent to the Mediterranean as Suez had no naval base, this included 20 monitors which sank in the Adriatic!

I can't afford large expeditionary forces since if I denude one of my borders to send the troops overseas I'm pretty sure the relevant enemy will descend on me. Currently my 30k expeditionary army is in Colombia helping them put down a revolution, since they've had 2 before and I got fed up of rebuilding my influence, but reckoned any attempt to turn it around and attack Colombia for the rest of Panama province would get Britain declaring war on me.

4th in everything, but this adds up amusingly to 5th in the world. Not sure what to do now, colonisation looking to be the only way forward...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf
I've never had any trouble with the Civil War... I think maybe all of your troops were Dixie culture and they revolted and they went to the CSA? The larger numbers thing... well that's just bad dice rolls I guess...?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Congo Bug in 1.3

Shit, you're right about the Congo - that's a MAJOR bug! Look at this mid 1890s map, a decade before it there was a Congo Conference thing and they decided to do nothing, then somehow in the mid 1890s this happened. Its completely fucking stupid as I, as Britain, owned the Western 2 or 3 provinces of what now is another country, and they linked in logically to the pinky Angola bit I still own (only now I've lost all access to it). There was NO WARNING, no indication this was going to happen, and NO INFORMATION THAT IT HAD HAPPENED until I looked at the map. This is an insane bug and needs to be removed

v2-british-congo-1891.jpg

The Congo I did own

v2-congo1896.jpg

The Congo I no longer own

It became Swedish, so I had to fight a war with Sweden to free satellite and then sphere it in order to link my bits

Beset Rearguards
Grey Wolf

It's especially bugged in the fact that there's no reasoning behind who it awards the Congo to. I've seen such ridiculous things as Serbian Congo (who were landlocked). Eventually I just got around it by reloading and it delaying it over and over so I could keep my beautiful German Congo. Maybe you could tell Paradox and they could work on fixing it for the next patch?

LOL, I annexed Yemen and Oman in two wars back-to-back, then turned on Egypt when it had a revolution and stole one of its provinces

Zulu is one of my great allies that always sends me a force when I go into battle (Atjeh is another)

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

But the problem is that, for your purposes (increasing naval reach) Yemen+Oman+Egypt are basiclly two nations too many. You need a port in north Africa/Arabia -Yemen is a good one, and the Sinai in Egypt is perfect, because then you don't have to bother placing Egypt in your sphere (no matter what you do, the Ottomans will get there first and ifght your diplomats all the way) when the time to build suez arrives-

Then you need a second port in South Africa. Southern madagascar or Zulu, as they are uncivilized nations.

A third port somewere in Indochina, and you have a good chunk of the wolrd covered. The problem areas are North/South America and Europe, as you will have to fight civilized nations all the way, but your original nation will have at least one of the three covered... but remember than, for the caribbean, in the early decades Haiti will be there all alone with no allies, and in later decades you can get a free province in Panama; for Europe, you will have a good chance to steal a port from Morocco before Spain and France eat then.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Started a new game as Britain and declared war on France at once, for St Pierre and Miquelon since it seemed to me that comparative strength was most in favour at the start of the game, since one is not actually going to INVADE France to beat them. Laid down loads of frigates (quickest) and called up armies, and it went a bit peculiar since I had under-estimated the Med Fleet, which is really quite crap at the start and had to deal with marauding French ships from that direction that were hard to bottle up. They also managed to invade Newfoundland, but eventually my frigates came to the rescue, I blockaded Newfoundland and sent an army from home, whilst re-establishing the Northern blockade, and steadily building up the partial blockade in the Med, and getting one of the Indian armies to West Africa to begin to invade French colonies there. At that point the French threw in "le towel" and St Pierre and Miquelon were mine!

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Faeelin

Banned
I realized why I don't like this game that much. Military combat is so... dull. You don't really do much; you just hope you can mobilize a larger pop than your neighbors.

I cheat too much, I rarely use military. It's way too much fun to mess with events and other countries. I often switch which country I play to mold the endgame I want. Also, balkanizing Great Powers makes things more interesting... Especially with the user-made New Nations Mod.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Naw, it's all about encirclement.

I tend to have a naval view of war - you get control of the seas, you can move your armies around, take others' colonies, blockade their coasts and win a war without even having to bother invading their mainland. Of course, I do sometimes invade - its fun to invade the Ottoman Empire for instance, or landings in the Netherlands, which have the tendency to go the way of the Anglo-Russian campaign in the 1790s

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

But the AI just regenerates. I wipe out several hundred thousand frenchmen and 10 years later the French are fielding just as large of an army. Err, what?

That's true, but hopefully your war isn't lasting you 10 years after you wipe out several hundred thousand frenchmen. And certainly their economy is going to be greatly hurting for it. :)

So I knwo that if Reactionary Rebels overthrow a Presidential Dictatorship then it turns into a Monarchy. What happens if they overthrow a Bourgesie Dictatorship (one created by Anarcho-Liberal Rebels)?

So I knwo that if Reactionary Rebels overthrow a Presidential Dictatorship then it turns into a Monarchy. What happens if they overthrow a Bourgesie Dictatorship (one created by Anarcho-Liberal Rebels)?
In the file ...Victoria 2/common/rebel_types.txt:

Code:
reactionary_rebels = {
    icon = 1

area = nation                     # Stays within the nation
    break_alliance_on_win = yes

# <this is the governement in the country> = <this is what the rebels want>
    government = {
        proletarian_dictatorship = presidential_dictatorship
        presidential_dictatorship = absolute_monarchy
        bourgeois_dictatorship = presidential_dictatorship
        fascist_dictatorship = presidential_dictatorship
        absolute_monarchy = presidential_dictatorship
        prussian_constitutionalism = absolute_monarchy
        hms_government = absolute_monarchy
        democracy = presidential_dictatorship
    }

In the file ...Victoria 2/common/rebel_types.txt:

Code:
reactionary_rebels = {
    icon = 1

area = nation                     # Stays within the nation
    break_alliance_on_win = yes

# <this is the governement in the country> = <this is what the rebels want>
    government = {
        proletarian_dictatorship = presidential_dictatorship
        presidential_dictatorship = absolute_monarchy
        bourgeois_dictatorship = presidential_dictatorship
        fascist_dictatorship = presidential_dictatorship
        absolute_monarchy = presidential_dictatorship
        prussian_constitutionalism = absolute_monarchy
        hms_government = absolute_monarchy
        democracy = presidential_dictatorship
    }

Oh, too bad. Thanks for the explanation.

Ok, I knowI probably should've asked it on official forums, but...

Is it worth it and what can I do? First, whatever copy protection it's using and my DVD drive HATE each other (half the time it's DVD drive just making fart-like noises and refusing to read it at all, another half is even more frustrating, - disk is there, it is legit, files can be read from it just fine, but the game still doesn't recognize it and refuses to launch.) And, when I managed to launch it (don't ask, won't tell how) game crashes whenever I try to open the budget screen...

Is it just me and my laptop or is the game really that unstable, and would the 1.3 patch do anything about the stability or is it just new features? ('m on a metered internet connection and won't download it unless it can really solvwe these issues.) I'd still like to playit, what little I did see of the actual game looked awesome...