Victoria II

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Tellus, Jul 8, 2010.

1. phrynolatry Well-Known Member

2. frustrated progressive Insert Witticism Here Monthly Donor

Traffic,Heat,Crime,Poverty, Still Paradise (LA)
  3. The Undead Martyr GOP Delenda Est

I really hope Victoria 3 is basically just Victoria 2 but with massive improvements to the au, economy and diplomacy, rather than getting dumbed down. Diplomacy (and AI) especially has always been paradoxs weak point and Vixtoria 2 especially suffers for an inflexible, short sighted and stupid ai.

That and the UI really sucks. Among other things it's an utter pain to keep track of all my armies (really wish I could make a standard template or a theater or whatnot( especially after they take casualties, and that plus better mechanics for say trench warfare and the evolution of technology (airplanes etc) would be neat.

Also I want to build the Hindenburg.

4. Jim Smitty Lost in my mind

Wait when did Paradox make official they are doing a Victoria 3?

5. The Undead Martyr GOP Delenda Est

They didn't unfortunately, just musing.
    Also I've been playing the shit out of HFM these past few days.

6. HanEmpire Delicious

What are your highest industrial scores? What nation did you use, and how did you get it?

Mine's 9788 using the Russian Empire in the HFM mod. I plugged along as the 3rd Great Power with a piddling ~10 industrial score until the 1880s or so, pushing Liberal votes and Capitalists in my most populous provinces. When I finally liberated the Serfs and got Landed voting the Liberally minded aristocrats and capitalists immediately voted the Kadets into power, and then turbo-charged the economy by building factories everywhere. By the end of the game my best factory was a lvl.51 Lumbermill in Moscow, producing ~1.2k pounds profit.

I like to imagine that the 510,000 workers were out planting entire forests.

7. The Undead Martyr GOP Delenda Est

With Russia I always like to ally Prussia and do a quick war against Austria to liberate and sphere hungary then do the same to the Ottomans before the 19th century is done. But yeah once Russia gets going they're unstoppable, basically the only resource you lack is rubber, everything else you need is human capital.

MuricanTauri1776 likes this.
  8. Rarayn Well-Known Member

I don't know about HFM, but in HPM it's possible to get rid of Russian serfdom within a year by cheesing the system. Just lose about 3 wars to Central Asian minors or whatever, and your militancy will be high enough that you can use the decision. You can use the same technique to abolish slavery (thus avoiding the civil war) in the US within a year in vanilla, though that's a bit more RNG dependent since the first event in the chain can fire just about anytime during the first year, and you can't abolish slavery pre-Civil War once it happens. Either way, it's kind of a funny way to get rid of a headache and get an earlier start off sorts.

9. Zurirach Adankar Well-Known Member

Which is better? HFM or HPM?

10. GaBeRock Well-Known Member

HPM with the recent update. Unless for some reason you really like colonial railroading.

11. Worffan101 Ain't done nothing if I ain't been called a Red

How do I get the HPM installed?

12. Gwrtheyrn Annwn A Welshman at Heart

13. The Grudge Keeper The Keeper of Grudges

In HPM, how the fuck do you even keep your clay as Mexico? Even if you beat Texas and prevent all those revolts from firing, it railroads you to sell your northern territories to the USA and if you refuse, they declare war on you.

14. herkles Well-Known Member

what did the most recent update for HPM add? :)

15. GaBeRock Well-Known Member

Whether or not you beat texas doesn't prevent the US from declaring manifest destiny. Speaking as someone that typically plays US, your best bet is hoping to get sphered/allied by britain, have them help out during the war over the west US (as player US I have trouble with AI britain, so AI US will do even worse), full occupying the US to lower industry and cause bankruptcy, intervening during the US civil war to keep the confederacy around, or at least taking territory from them, and of course the usual bevy of tricks a player nation can pull off that the AI isn't smart enough to, like literacy spam, encouraging militancy to get reforms to encourage immigration, baiting armies into unfavorable terrain, etcetera.

16. AvatarOfKhaine Eldar God of War

This is why I don't play HPM, it's way too railroady.

LordInsane likes this.
  17. Limabot Well-Known Member

What's the difference between HPM and HFM? I know a lot of people debate on which is better, but what are the features of each mod compared to each other?

18. The Undead Martyr GOP Delenda Est

It would be better if the US just got cores Imho. Playing mexico should be a challenge if you intend to keep the North but not so railroaded.

19. not_an_original_name Dems gunna take away ur obamacare

Wonder if it's possible to survive as a West African minor in HPM/PDM.

20. Gian Wizard of Watkins Mill

Well, if you guys want to know what I've been doing for the past month, I've been making a new alternate-history mod that takes some cues from Divergences while managing to create a rather unique product.

Here's the progress so far (mostly in the Americas)
    V2_MAP_CLM_1836.1.1_1.png

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]