Victoria; An Empire Under the Sun

Highlander

Banned
I will - don't have the money for it yet, anyway.

How is that Hearts of Iron (I believe that is the name) game?

Highlander said:
I prefer micromanagement, so that's perfect.

What I'm doing is waiting a bit, and saving up for an External Harddrive. Considering I am getting a bunch of games, I can just put them all on it.

The cool thing about this game is that you don't need to have a CD in to play it - I have it both on my desktop, and on my laptop computers. Pretty convenient - but it seems to be the case with most Paradox games as well. Definitely makes it easier to have the games both on my home PC, and on the go with my laptop.

Highlander said:
I will - don't have the money for it yet, anyway.

How is that Hearts of Iron (I believe that is the name) game?
Hearts of Iron 2 is an excellent game, the original not so much.

HueyLong

Banned
And Doomsday, a stand alone expansion, is cheap too. I've had plenty of fun games on that.

Soviet Winter War? In Manchuria?! 1937! No Great Purge?!
Greco-Italian War, with victory for the Metaxists (actually managed it, GC, unmodded)
Iraq in the Axis?
Asia First US?
Etcetera

For the Victoria players, I'd STRONGLY suggest running the Victoria Improvement Pack. It makes the game a lot more fun to play. It's designed to create a more historical (as well as allowing better ahistorical) play. Once you get through the labyrinthine patch proceedure, you're ready to go. I'm also looking forward to Revolutions, but from everything I've heard, it isn't coming until next year. It will address some of the issues with the economy that you mentioned, Faeelin as well as expanding the game and connecting it with HOI2.

Oh, and can someone link to the EUII/Vicky converter?

HueyLong

Banned
I would suggest backing up your original version. VIP provides less player freedom, in my experience, and pushes you on a rail. It has some interesting updates, and I've modded some into my Vicky version, but as a whole, its way too limiting.

Amerigo Vespucci said:
For the Victoria players, I'd STRONGLY suggest running the Victoria Improvement Pack. It makes the game a lot more fun to play. It's designed to create a more historical (as well as allowing better ahistorical) play. Once you get through the labyrinthine patch proceedure, you're ready to go. I'm also looking forward to Revolutions, but from everything I've heard, it isn't coming until next year. It will address some of the issues with the economy that you mentioned, Faeelin as well as expanding the game and connecting it with HOI2.

Here is the link to the forum at Paradox with the converter discussion, as well as download link. Basically, everything you'll ever need for that.

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269

Amerigo Vespucci said:

Yeah its not coming out till August 30, 2006 according to one Game Magazine

Two years before it's great Civil War, America bestrides the continent like a colossus, with rails running from sea to shining sea.

usa1858el5.png

usa1858railsfe3.png

HueyLong

Banned
Yes, although you can avoid the Civil War if those Republicans aren't in power.......

But you appear to have... oh well.

HueyLong said:
Yes, although you can avoid the Civil War if those Republicans aren't in power.......

But you appear to have... oh well.
I want the Republicans in power to get rid of slavery. To bad I'll have to sit on my hands for 3 years because I'm so strong, I'd crush them in a year. Maybe I'll have the Mexicans ally with them to make it more interesting.

HueyLong

Banned
There is an emancipation event in the 1870s, I believe, and it converts about a third of the slaves into craftsmen and clerks, and some into capitalists.....

Victoria...Alright but not what it shoudl have been. Its too much Virtua Accountaint then a cool 19th century world managing game. And Imperialism did that side of things better.

Meanwhile, a different German Empire has realized its own version of Manifest Destiny.

(I changed a couple of events - Popular Unification fired instead of the wacked up Frankfurt Assembly event, added some events to pacify the minorities in Germany which made them state cultures; then took Poland from Russia in the Crimean War, and the other land when they periodically attacked me later - they've been relatively peaceful since then). The BB of over 30 gets in the way, though.

Thanks to, hm, unusual colonies, people are even now debating if it should really be called a "German" empire.

That's the current USA. Since I am playing with VIP, it looks a bit different. But don't worry - those pesky Indians satellite countries will all be gone soon enough.