Victoria 3

I have to go against the prevailing grain here. Vicky 3 feels like a good game which I can have fun with. Now is it a GREAT game? Definitely not yet. Flawed? Yes. As flawed as Victoria 2 was on launch in vanilla? Well being just as old enough to remember that, I gotta say: "no, actually". That said, it's definitely gonna need some polish and expansion before it truly shines but even before then, I do anticipate plugging quite a bit of hours away at this guy.

Gotta hand it to Paradox, the Roadmap shows that they are listening to feedback. Their plans for the first major patches go into the right direction and would adress at least some, possibly many of the issues I have with the Release Version.
I really hope they suceed in making Victoria long term viable. As I said, I see a lot of potential in the game and really wanted a worthy successor to Vic2. Unfortunately the steam user score right now is in the region of I:R and they already lost some 40% of players in the last 10 days. Then again, probably I am pessimistic atm due to my disappointment with the release version.

Oh, when I had bought Vic2, Heart of Darkness had already been out for years. By how much had the game already been improved by then?
By a ton really, same for the DLC to Vic1 atually, albeit both not as massive changes and needed add-ons as nowadays.

Especialy culture, society and warfare need a big, BIG overhaul in my opinion as the core of Victoria 1 and 2 was the social and political changes alongside societal ones in a age of industrialisation and imperialism that came with a early globalizing world, I just sadly feal most, if not all of this core elements are either missing, or implemented so barely they might just as well be missing. Back in the day me and my friends played and modded especially Vic1 to a extent it was a blast for nearly two decades to play, Vic2 later evolved into something similar, so it remaisn to be seen if 3 can be changed to do so as well, as I alone know dozends of old fans of the series (me included) not satisfied with what was delivered in Vic3 and I am also sick of releasing half-backed games to then trow dozends if not more DLC onto it later on. If that was how I would do my job, money, not customer orientated, people would actually got hurt if not worse because of the way we support and supply them in tiems of medical or other need, which is why we have to handle chases with care withotu getting to atatched at the same time. Sad that is only true for so few customer orientated industries todays. Lately especially the gaming industry in general has become rather detached with much of the core base customers/ fans that has been around since at last I was a young lad 30 to 40 years ago now and who despite all this either had remaiend loyal customers themselves till this day until recent years, or their children, or childrens children had (sometimes as a excuse for themselves to buy some more modern games no matter what their wifes said, but eh...). These people are not always coming back if a company manages to irritate them enough, that much I can tell you. I'm not even sure if heart, compassion or soemthing else is missing in many of this modern projects, I just feels like a lot missing in general.

I love it, but I didn't at first, actually tried to return it, but once everything becomes second-nature, which took me 10+ hours, it was incredibly fun. I somehow managed to make Hawaii a great power! Now I'm playing Texas.

The thing that bugs me the most is that you can't rename stuff or form your incorporated territory into a new dejure country. I want Texas, Rio Grande, Senora and a few other Mexican states I captured become a kingdom but right now it's still a principality. I essentially took over most of Oceana and half of Indonesia on my Hawaii run and couldn't form any new countries there either.

Now I'm playing Texas.
I've only had a few hours to play, but I need to ask, how did you survive the initial war?

A Texas playthrough that goes to the West Coast has always been a goal of mine, I think I managed it once in Vic2 with the pop demand mod, and loads of sucking up to the UK to keep land hungry Yankees off my back.

Last edited:
I've only had a few hours to play, but I need to ask, how did you survive the initial war?

A Texas playthrough that goes to the West Coast has always been a goal of mine, I think I managed it once in Vic2 with the pop demand mod, and loads of sucking up to the UK to keep land hungry Yankees off my back.
I captured Santa Anna and got a white peace, eventually got Mexican Texas back after I became a dominion of the US.

I don't know if this is controversial, but in my honest opinion, Victoria 3 is kind of underwhelming IMO. Does anyone else feel the same way.

I don't know if this is controversial, but in my honest opinion, Victoria 3 is kind of underwhelming IMO. Does anyone else feel the same way.

It isn't controversial at all - it plays like a game that could be excellent... with quite a few DLCs.

And, looking at Paradox's current business model, that's probably the point. As I said above, they should take a few cues from what one of their development teams did with Stellaris, while focusing their efforts on just a few franchises at a time rather than all of them: right now, Victoria 3 is worth sailing the seven seas for, if you know what I mean, but not worth buying - it's decent, but not an experience worth the full price of 50 euros.

Shame on you, people who do that are scum.
People who pirate tend to do it because either they’re from a country where that media is prohibitively expensive or because they lack access to it in some way. I wouldn’t call either of those people “scum”.

Absolutely! And with the amazing mods coming and many that are already out, it will get even better, even without the DLC.

I feel like if your game needs mods to have any sort of value, it’s not a good game. Like, Minecraft I would say wasn’t a good or “complete” game until 1.10 at least even though it has an extensive modding community that, before that, could let you play whatever game you wanted.

This is speaking as someone who is interested in modding Victoria 3. I just don’t want devs to think that they can release half-finished games with the expectation that modders will pick up slack.

People who pirate tend to do it because either they’re from a country where that media is prohibitively expensive or because they lack access to it in some way. I wouldn’t call either of those people “scum”.
People who do that aren't just stealing from the video game company or Steam, but from all of us. So yeah, they're scum in my book.
I feel like if your game needs mods to have any sort of value, it’s not a good game. Like, Minecraft I would say wasn’t a good or “complete” game until 1.10 at least even though it has an extensive modding community that, before that, could let you play whatever game you wanted.
The game is still loads of fun even without the mods, I think the devs did a great job, the mods are the icing on the cake.

It isn't controversial at all - it plays like a game that could be excellent... with quite a few DLCs.

And, looking at Paradox's current business model, that's probably the point. As I said above, they should take a few cues from what one of their development teams did with Stellaris, while focusing their efforts on just a few franchises at a time rather than all of them: right now, Victoria 3 is worth sailing the seven seas for, if you know what I mean, but not worth buying - it's decent, but not an experience worth the full price of 50 euros.
Come on, dude. This is a site for creators that takes intellectual property rights seriously. Don’t endorse piracy on this site even in a cute wink and nudge way.

Shame on you, people who do that are scum.

Absolutely! And with the amazing mods coming and many that are already out, it will get even better, even without the DLC.
I shouldn’t have to tell you not to call other users “scum” not matter how righteously indignant you are.

So is it worth buying at the current price?
Maybe. I'd probably keep an eye on the first few rounds patches.

Presently there's a whacky situation where it's way too easy to be super progressive super early, a friend of mine solved slavery and discrimination in America by 1839 without a war, heartwarming, but probably pointing to a flaw how interest groups are balanced at the moment.

Also, Russian and American AIs are really keen on colonizing Borneo and Patagonia (respectively) in the 1840s causing eye-trauma.

I think the other biggie is France starts with tariff free access to the British market because Pondicherry is considered a "treaty port", this is leading to France snowballing hard most games.

A lot of this seems readily fixable and has been already mentioned by the devs. Presently, a lot of countries are light on flavor (partly a result of Paradox aiming more at a sandbox than the somewhat more "scripted" nature of Vic2) probably going to be part of their DLC strategy.

I see solid bones here, though also get the impression it was kinda rushed out the door.

A lot of it's value will lie in how much $50 is worth to you, I hadn't bought a video game in nearly a year and Vic2 had huge sentimental value to me, so I've gambled they'll sort it out, other than Imperator, they do have a decent history of sorting it out imo.