Victoria 3!!!

I'm not sure what to feel with people talking about DLC features when the base game hasn't been released yet. Shouldn't we be hoping for these in the base game before wishing for things as DLC? And then shouldn't we wish for them in free patches?

On the subject of fixing Vic2's political failings; can there actually be protectionists in this game? I have no clue why they made it so every pop on the planet is in favour of free trade, in a time period when most governments' primary source of income was tariff dues.

IG leaders being randomly generated seems interesting. I wonder if it will be possible to install new leaders or favour one candidate over another in a contest?

Yep. Knew it. Mana system.
Throughput rather than pool mana is still a design choice and IMO superior, since it requires you to pay more attention to it and make choices about upkeep rather than just fire and forget. It's the difference between a one time cost for a building upgrade and an upkeep cost for maintaining infrastructure.

If there's one thing I'm hoping is that the game has viable reasons for free trade. Whenever I plaid a Great or Secondary Power, I would always get rich through tarriffs which were completely broken. I could tarriffs at 100% and I would still get thousands of dollars per day, only seeing it dropped when I was a participant in a Great War. Despite the fact that tariffs allowed me to fund my massive military, colonize, and build factories, every time I played a democracy and the Liberals got into power they would lock the Tariffs at 25% and my economy would start to go into the red. Subsidizing was also seriously broken in that they ensured constant 0 unemployment and hundreds of dollars in revenue and when the Liberals got into power they would close down all the factories due to lack of subsidization and I would start to go into debt with massive unrest. The only thing Victoria II taught me was that 19th century Liberalism always ruins a state.

If there's one thing I'm hoping is that the game has viable reasons for free trade. Whenever I plaid a Great or Secondary Power, I would always get rich through tarriffs which were completely broken. I could tarriffs at 100% and I would still get thousands of dollars per day, only seeing it dropped when I was a participant in a Great War. Despite the fact that tariffs allowed me to fund my massive military, colonize, and build factories, every time I played a democracy and the Liberals got into power they would lock the Tariffs at 25% and my economy would start to go into the red. Subsidizing was also seriously broken in that they ensured constant 0 unemployment and hundreds of dollars in revenue and when the Liberals got into power they would close down all the factories due to lack of subsidization and I would start to go into debt with massive unrest. The only thing Victoria II taught me was that 19th century Liberalism always ruins a state.
I remember having someone in a youtube comments section claiming that Vic2 shows how 'Liberals' always ruin the economy (referring to the US Democrat party).

No amount of trying to explain that Liberalism in Vic2 is the opposite of Big Government would convince him.

I remember having someone in a youtube comments section claiming that Vic2 shows how 'Liberals' always ruin the economy (referring to the US Democrat party).

No amount of trying to explain that Liberalism in Vic2 is the opposite of Big Government would convince him.
Guess they only paid attention to the name then shut their brain off to the fact that lack of government control ruined the economy.

I agree that Vic II really pushed players to State Capitalism to actually have a functioning economy. I had a US game where I didn’t push for control and got so frustrated that years went by with nothing being built that I just restarted.

Also the Dems are the Conservative Party in Vic2.

SkyBlue300

Banned
On the subject of fixing Vic2's political failings; can there actually be protectionists in this game? I have no clue why they made it so every pop on the planet is in favour of free trade, in a time period when most governments' primary source of income was tariff dues.
Especially in US. I really want a realistic US with an accurate simulation of the Reconstruction, Gilded Age, and Progressive Age. Heck, I will pay for a Americentric DLC.

this week's dev diary is on national markets. What do people think? There are a lot of dev responses in this one btw.
There has been concern on Reddit regarding the state borders having the ability to create weird situations due to states being somewhat large. It might hurt games where the player goes for borders that aren't as obvious/historical. For example, I reckon splitting Slesvig on linguistic lines will be impossible due to the area making up one state.

Last edited: