Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Pretty good

Votes: 41 49.4%
  • AMAZING!!!!

Votes: 30 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My First (somewhat) Good Map
Since I've seen a lot of map threads, I figured I'd make my own. Imma post some of my better maps for now (because if I posted all of my bad ones, you'd be here all day). The maps range from ok to things I'm very proud of.

[this thread is a work in progress, I don't have time to upload all my stuff now]

Here's what I consider my first GOOD map, for my Korean TL The Tiger and the Magpie (which is currently dead/on indefinite hiatus):

Korean Manchuria - main - zoomed 2.jpg

A map of an alternate treaty of Verdun where state borders more closely match ethnolinguistic borders. There are some issues with plausibility, but I like the map so here it is:

south frankia with vassals.jpg

Last edited:
Another map for an AHC. I didn't make the whole map but I'm pretty proud of how cleanly I edited it:

Made for a challenge, had to make Napoleon partition Austria. I also partitioned Portugal.

napoleon partitions austria.jpg

Napoleonic France
napoleonic victory - france.jpg

France after a Napoleonic victory. Def one of my better maps (honestly just because of the title and the latitude and longitude lines). Sorry for the bad French. I haven't been learning French for like 2 years now and I was never very good, so yeah. It's really just in French because authenticity or whatever.

Last edited:
Alternate south America for a collaborative TL/worldbuilding project. The Borders are based off of ones suggested by @Entrerriano, @Fox-Fire (the project's Latin America experts) so I thought I'd give them credit. Not my best map, but definitely not my worst (I mean just look at like half of this thread).

South America v1.jpg

Isaac Beach

Banned
Alternate south America for a collaborative TL/worldbuilding project. The Borders are based off of ones suggested by @Entrerriano, @Fox-Fire (the project's Latin America experts) so I thought I'd give them credit. Not my best map, but definitely not my worst (I mean just look at like half of this thread).

I like the big Paraguay and Chile, and that you avoided lumping all of the Andean states together. I presume the river plate state is British? What's it called?

I like the big Paraguay and Chile, and that you avoided lumping all of the Andean states together. I presume the river plate state is British? What's it called?

Thanks.

Having a south American perspective has helped keep the project from falling into the many implausible AH tropes surrounding that region so far.

And yes, the River Plate area is British (well, a former colony by the time this map is supposed to represent, probably in the commonwealth or the equivalent).

The map is considerably ahead of the fully developed parts of the TL and was just a rough idea of how things might end up, so for now we dont really have a name beyond the Plate River Colony. We're gonna come up with that at a later point, since we obviously won't have a country called Plate.

Hashemite Arabia
Definitely one of my better maps. An alternate Arabia with the Hashemites as a major regional player. It's not part of a fleshed out TL, but there is a rough (probably not very plausible) idea behind it.

The British take Al Hassa from the Ottomans early on, establishing a puppet kingdom there, and getting more interested in Arabia as well as very annoyed at Nejd for their relentless attempts to seize their lands on the peninsula. The British curtail many Saudi attempts to expand. By the time WW1 rolls around, the British have a large chunk of southern Arabia and are not interested in taking on too many new colonies/mandates in the region, especially considering that it is mostly desert and Britain already holds many of the peninsula's richest regions. Rather, they ally with Hedjaz, and allow its newly installed Hashemite dynasty to control the north of the peninsula as something in between an ally and a full blown puppet (so a quite loosely controlled protectorate). Nejd is not strong enough to conquer Hedjaz, especially not with Britain protecting them.

I might do a later map for this scenario just for fun. I'd imagine a sort of *Oman and *Yemen forming out of Britain's southern possessions, along with Kuwait and Qatar retaining their independence, a sort of "mega Bahrain" in the form of Al Hassa and the Trucial states either being part of Oman or independent. The Hashemite holdings and dependencies would likely coalesce into one kingdom. Zagros (which would gain Turkey's weird panhandle) starts off as an unstable federation, with Pontus choosing to stay independent and Armenia and Kurdistan getting locked in a war at some point when the country dissolves (communism may serve to keep it intact for quite a while if they fall under its influence, but eventually they are guaranteed to break up, probably in a bloody conflict). Expect at least a slightly bigger Syria, the rest of the world probably stays the same.

E7ozoOd.jpg

Definitely one of my better maps. An alternate Arabia with the Hashemites as a major regional player. It's not part of a fleshed out TL, but there is a rough (probably not very plausible) idea behind it.

The British take Al Hassa from the Ottomans early on, establishing a puppet kingdom there, and getting more interested in Arabia as well as very annoyed at Nejd for their relentless attempts to seize their lands on the peninsula. The British curtail many Saudi attempts to expand. By the time WW1 rolls around, the British have a large chunk of southern Arabia and are not interested in taking on too many new colonies/mandates in the region, especially considering that it is mostly desert and Britain already holds many of the peninsula's richest regions. Rather, they ally with Hedjaz, and allow its newly installed Hashemite dynasty to control the north of the peninsula as something in between an ally and a full blown puppet (so a quite loosely controlled protectorate). Nejd is not strong enough to conquer Hedjaz, especially not with Britain protecting them.

I might do a later map for this scenario just for fun. I'd imagine a sort of *Oman and *Yemen forming out of Britain's southern possessions, along with Kuwait and Qatar retaining their independence, a sort of "mega Bahrain" in the form of Al Hassa and the Trucial states either being part of Oman or independent. The Hashemite holdings and dependencies would likely coalesce into one kingdom. Zagros (which would gain Turkey's weird panhandle) starts off as an unstable federation, with Pontus choosing to stay independent and Armenia and Kurdistan getting locked in a war at some point when the country dissolves (communism may serve to keep it intact for quite a while if they fall under its influence, but eventually they are guaranteed to break up, probably in a bloody conflict). Expect at least a slightly bigger Syria, the rest of the world probably stays the same.

E7ozoOd.jpg
Epic map. I really love the aesthetic.

Epic map. I really love the aesthetic.

Thanks. I'm really happy with the aesthetic too. I tried to go for a simple, modern, news paper or Nat Geo magazine kind of look. Like simple, but not the completely flat kind of simplicity you see so often on this forum (and in quite a few of my other maps). I think this was a nice balance between regular lines for borders and my insane obsession with the inner glow effect. I'm pretty sure there was some other map that inspired me to do this, but I started it a while back and don't remember.

There's one huge problem though. I didn't label a number of cities in Syria.

Last edited: