Vassals in maps

In most maps on this side, vassals are shown in the colour of the nation that is vassalizing it, but with both a white and a black border. How do you guys do that?

Krall

Banned
It's easy when you have MS Paint (which you should have as well, unless you're using a mac).

I'm using Ubuntu but I have something similar. I tried to make the country white and then make a red country in it leaving just a tiny white stripe between the red and the black border, but it turned out all crappy.

Am I using the wrong method or am I just a failbot?

I used to do it by hand.
I've switched to another method of showing /vassalage/influence/satellitehood nowadays, though, but the principle is the same, just... reversed.

Susano

Banned
This actually depends on wether you use UCS, or "Susanoism", which despite being named after me on the board here is what most atlases (antlantes?) outside this forum use ;)

I outline the vassal in its suzerain's colour - Susanoism, a. k. a. "what everyone but AH.COM uses".

Thande

Donor
This actually depends on wether you use UCS, or "Susanoism", which despite being named after me on the board here is what most atlases (antlantes?) outside this forum use ;)

NO THEY DON'T!

"Most atlases" don't even show vassal states! :rolleyes:

Of my fairly large (12?) collection of historical atlases, which do show vassal states, exactly two of them use Susanoism. (Of course, one of them is German, so maybe most German historical atlases use it...)

By far the most common system is to show the vassal in a paler shade of the master country's colour. Outlining a la Susanoism is typically used to signify colonial claim lines or (in maps covering many years) "maximum extent of X empire".

Of course I admit the UCS system isn't used anywhere at all, but that just makes it more distinctive.

NO THEY DON'T!

"Most atlases" don't even show vassal states! :rolleyes:

Of my fairly large (12?) collection of historical atlases, which do show vassal states, exactly two of them use Susanoism. (Of course, one of them is German, so maybe most German historical atlases use it...)

By far the most common system is to show the vassal in a paler shade of the master country's colour. Outlining a la Susanoism is typically used to signify colonial claim lines or (in maps covering many years) "maximum extent of X empire".

Of course I admit the UCS system isn't used anywhere at all, but that just makes it more distinctive.
How many show vassals at all, and what do they use, if not Susanoism?

Deleted member 4898

How many show vassals at all, and what do they use, if not Susanoism?
Usually vassals are only be shown in specific regional maps, rather then a global map. At least in the historical atlases I own. As Thande says, they are in a pale shade of the master country's colour.

Usually vassals are only be shown in specific regional maps, rather then a global map. At least in the historical atlases I own. As Thande says, they are in a pale shade of the master country's colour.
Pale shade? Odd. Never seen that.

Thande

Donor
Pale shade? Odd. Never seen that.

What historical atlases have you read?

Let me summarise all the ones I can remember offhand:

Penguin Atlas of World History (German) - uses Susanoism

Times Atlas of World History - uses paler shades

DK Atlas of World History - uses paler shades

Most others use either paler shades or just adding a little symbol in the middle of each country.

In most maps on this side, vassals are shown in the colour of the nation that is vassalizing it, but with both a white and a black border. How do you guys do that?
The way I do it - using GIMP 2.0 - is to make sure you have a complete border around the area in question. Select the region that I want to colour, then shrink the selection size by 1, 2, or more pixels so you get a smaller version of the larger space, and filling with the new colour I want to use. This leaves a 'border' inside the original border the colour of the original background (probably white). You can do the reverse by colouring the whole region first, then select-shrink-fill with white or other colour...

Not sure how to do it in MS Paint, but GIMP is a free download...

Susano

Banned
Droysen and Putzger use Susanoism, thats good enough for me ;)
Oh, and Euratlas, too, everybdoys favourite centuries-spanning online reference atlas!

Also in a feudal context: While the typical despcition of the HRE in early mdoenr times (that is, when it already was worth nothinga nymore) is some states surrounded by grey (for states too small to show) surrounded by red line marking the HRE border... the HRE in medieval times is usually shown as one colour, with some importants tates giving an own colour - surrounded, of course, by the HRE colour (they ave to, being inside it). It would be very weird to despict that in UCS!