V for Vendetta Timeline

JSmith

Banned
So with the attendant removal of the US from the world stage what are the details of the concurrent and future events in the UK of the St Mary's Virus, Sutler/Norsefire's rise to power, and the "Reclamation" , war with France or some other European country(?), and the aftermath of the fall of Sutler/Norsefire ?

JSmith

Banned
So with the attendant removal of the US from the world stage what are the details of the concurrent and future events in the UK of the St Mary's Virus, Sutler/Norsefire's rise to power, and the "Reclamation" , war with France or some other European country(?), and the aftermath of the fall of Sutler/Norsefire ?
Anyone with a better knowledge of the UK than myself and who liked the film have any ideas here ?

The Fall

Before V for Vendetta:

Adam Sutler of the Conservative party, undersecretary of defense, authorizes development of biological weapons.

During this time the US is still involved in the Middle East. Prothero's military record mentiones service in "Syria before and after". Evie's parents are protesting US and British involvement in the "War on Terror". During this time the virus later to be known as St. Mary's and its cure are developed. Instead of being used abroad the virus is released by members of the security service disguised as muslim extremists. One target is a water treatment plant, another is a station on the London Underground and a third is St.Mary's school.

The virus will kill 80,000 and lead to a massive disruption of British society. Norsefire moves from a minor political party on the extreme right toward national prominence. Under a plan of law and order and nationalism it wins a large majority of the vote. The cure for St. Mary's is soon developed afterwards. Under the Reclamation the country is placed under an authoritarian surveillance state. Homosexuals, ethnic minorities and dissidents begin to disappear in the middle of the night. Parts of the country are placed under quarantine and the disappeared are shipped to camps in the countryside and never seen again. Records of the camps are erased. To have any sort of career in the police or government party membership is required.

Events of V for Vendetta occur.

The destruction of Parliament and the death of Sutler and Creedy leaves a power vacumn in the country. Local police and military troops refuse to shoot their own countrymen and instead attack the Fingermen (secret police). We now seen elements of Eastern Europe post 1989. The headquarters of the fingermen are overrun and all records released to the public. The surveillance state is dismantled and a caretaker government installed until free elections can be held. Investigation of records from the Finger and police along with many Norsefire members show corruption, favoritism along with other crimes.

The Monarchy is not mentioned in the movie. In the graphic novel there is mention of a Queen Zara in the beginning but nothing after that.

JSmith

Banned
Before V for Vendetta:

Adam Sutler of the Conservative party, undersecretary of defense, authorizes development of biological weapons.

During this time the US is still involved in the Middle East. Prothero's military record mentiones service in "Syria before and after". Evie's parents are protesting US and British involvement in the "War on Terror". During this time the virus later to be known as St. Mary's and its cure are developed. Instead of being used abroad the virus is released by members of the security service disguised as muslim extremists. One target is a water treatment plant, another is a station on the London Underground and a third is St.Mary's school.

The virus will kill 80,000 and lead to a massive disruption of British society. Norsefire moves from a minor political party on the extreme right toward national prominence. Under a plan of law and order and nationalism it wins a large majority of the vote. The cure for St. Mary's is soon developed afterwards. Under the Reclamation the country is placed under an authoritarian surveillance state. Homosexuals, ethnic minorities and dissidents begin to disappear in the middle of the night. Parts of the country are placed under quarantine and the disappeared are shipped to camps in the countryside and never seen again. Records of the camps are erased. To have any sort of career in the police or government party membership is required.
Thanks for posting. This all sounds about right. The US-China war and its after effects and the Thames River flood would have also further secured Norsefires hold on power. Would Norsefire UK have gotten into any tussles anywhere in Europe or the rest of the world? Also I wonder exactly when events occurred along the timeline. I imagine the Reclamation happened once the US was out of the picture.

Events of V for Vendetta occur.

The destruction of Parliament and the death of Sutler and Creedy leaves a power vacumn in the country. Local police and military troops refuse to shoot their own countrymen and instead attack the Fingermen (secret police). We now seen elements of Eastern Europe post 1989. The headquarters of the fingermen are overrun and all records released to the public. The surveillance state is dismantled and a caretaker government installed until free elections can be held. Investigation of records from the Finger and police along with many Norsefire members show corruption, favoritism along with other crimes.
A mostly happy ending. I wonder if the UK gets back on its feet if it will help the US find its way out of its Second Civil War?
The Monarchy is not mentioned in the movie. In the graphic novel there is mention of a Queen Zara in the beginning but nothing after that.
Another unanswered question. Queen Elizabeth is probably not around anymore but I wonder who all is?

Continuing

Thanks for posting. This all sounds about right. The US-China war and its after effects and the Thames River flood would have also further secured Norsefires hold on power. Would Norsefire UK have gotten into any tussles anywhere in Europe or the rest of the world? Also I wonder exactly when events occurred along the timeline. I imagine the Reclamation happened once the US was out of the picture.

A mostly happy ending. I wonder if the UK gets back on its feet if it will help the US find its way out of its Second Civil War?
Another unanswered question. Queen Elizabeth is probably not around anymore but I wonder who all is?

My thinking is the Norsefire is modeled on the far-right movements in Britain. If it is anything like the US verisons it may be simply trade and that is it. Trade with the world will be on a cash basis or goods with very limited credit. There may be intelligence gathering but the rest of the world can bash each other's heads in.

As for post-Norsefire Britain I can see humanitarian aid but that is about it. Remember most people will remember the War on Terror and what it brought. People will be focusing on problems at home.

As for the Monarchy the virus could have killed them or they may have been placed under house arrest by the Finger. Their fate remains unknown.

JSmith

Banned
My thinking is the Norsefire is modeled on the far-right movements in Britain. If it is anything like the US verisons it may be simply trade and that is it. Trade with the world will be on a cash basis or goods with very limited credit. There may be intelligence gathering but the rest of the world can bash each other's heads in.

As for post-Norsefire Britain I can see humanitarian aid but that is about it. Remember most people will remember the War on Terror and what it brought. People will be focusing on problems at home.

As for the Monarchy the virus could have killed them or they may have been placed under house arrest by the Finger. Their fate remains unknown.
I assume the rest of the world is in a pretty sorry shape in this timeline. Hopefully the fall of Norsefire will make it turn it a positive direction.

Here Comes Susan/Sutler

Since the last post on this thread three Conservative MPs have resigned the party and joined the UK Independence Party.

In real life I think that a Sutler/Susan figure is more likely to arise from a party like UKIP than the BNP/EDL - though Britain First (who initiated the violence in Glasgow after the Scottish Independence vote went No) are the first explicitly Christian right wing party to emerge from the disintegration of the BNP.

It's perhaps worth noting that neither the comic or movie version of V for Vendetta are AH works as both are set some 15 years after they were released - they were, if anything, warnings. And those who fail to learn from history...

JSmith

Banned
Since the last post on this thread three Conservative MPs have resigned the party and joined the UK Independence Party.

In real life I think that a Sutler/Susan figure is more likely to arise from a party like UKIP than the BNP/EDL - though Britain First (who initiated the violence in Glasgow after the Scottish Independence vote went No) are the first explicitly Christian right wing party to emerge from the disintegration of the BNP.

It's perhaps worth noting that neither the comic or movie version of V for Vendetta are AH works as both are set some 15 years after they were released - they were, if anything, warnings. And those who fail to learn from history...
Interesting. Any idea how the Norsefire takeover/rule pans out-in the movie version?

Interesting. Any idea how the Norsefire takeover/rule pans out-in the movie version?

Sutler was, as I remember, originally a Conservative minister. None of the MPs who have defected to UKIP have ever risen as high as minister, but what they have in common - and what a lot of minor Conservative MPs have in common with them - is a constituency that they could lose if UKIP and Conservative split the right wing vote at the next general election - allowing Labour in. So by defecting to UKIP they hope to capture their local vote when the Conservatives inevitably parachute in a replacement candidate that the electorate don't know.

Not every Conservative minister is sitting on a huge majority and it wouldn't be unlikely that a minor minister might cross over with the intent of taking over UKIP, which will be fun if it happens. I can't remember if Sutler founded Norsefire or took it over.

I always thought Norsefire was too extreme a name for a 21st century British party. The Nice and Reasonable Parties are the ones that appeal to the electorate here. And they are the danger.

JSmith

Banned
I always thought Norsefire was too extreme a name for a 21st century British party. The Nice and Reasonable Parties are the ones that appeal to the electorate here. And they are the danger.
Right but remember it was after the St Mary's virus and a limited nuclear war between the US and China. Much more strident forces were at play and might have hinted at what they were about-but I see what you mean. Perhaps Norsefire is a nickname of the party that eventually became its name ? What could the official name have been?

I don't think it's a co-incidence that Norse Fire (as two words) has the initials NF. The National Front, rather than the BNP, were the big fascist party in the UK when the graphic novel was first published.

JSmith

Banned
I don't think it's a co-incidence that Norse Fire (as two words) has the initials NF. The National Front, rather than the BNP, were the big fascist party in the UK when the graphic novel was first published.
So is that the one-with some pre war/virus tweaks and twists I would imagine?

V started in 1982 and was in the excellent Warrior magazine until it folded. As a result it co-incided with the Falklands War and the landslide Conservative victory that followed. This led to Thatcher more or less declaring war on the organised working class, declaring the coal miners "the enemy within" and then there was the police riot at Stonehenge. It was a depressing time to be in Britain.

To quote from the Wikipedia wntry on the differences between the movie and the original:

"Chiefly, the original graphic novel has the fascists elected legally and kept in power through the general apathy of the public whereas the film introduces the "St. Mary's virus," a biological weapon engineered and released by the Norsefire party as a means of clandestinely gaining control over their own country."

Tomorrow night will be the first real test of the ability of UKIP to win a Westminster seat under the first past the post system. The media focus on the decaying BNP has led to the fascist elements of UKIP being downplayed, except where one of their more idiotic candidates gets caught saying things like "the 2013 floods were God's revenge for same-sex marriages being legal"".

JSmith

Banned
V started in 1982 and was in the excellent Warrior magazine until it folded. As a result it co-incided with the Falklands War and the landslide Conservative victory that followed. This led to Thatcher more or less declaring war on the organised working class, declaring the coal miners "the enemy within" and then there was the police riot at Stonehenge. It was a depressing time to be in Britain.

To quote from the Wikipedia wntry on the differences between the movie and the original:

"Chiefly, the original graphic novel has the fascists elected legally and kept in power through the general apathy of the public whereas the film introduces the "St. Mary's virus," a biological weapon engineered and released by the Norsefire party as a means of clandestinely gaining control over their own country."

Tomorrow night will be the first real test of the ability of UKIP to win a Westminster seat under the first past the post system. The media focus on the decaying BNP has led to the fascist elements of UKIP being downplayed, except where one of their more idiotic candidates gets caught saying things like "the 2013 floods were God's revenge for same-sex marriages being legal"".
Wow so some are real Norse Fire types then-scary.

And the results are in. The ex-tory defector has become UKIP's first MP, taking 60% of the vote. In the other by-election Labour retained their seat (the sitting MP had died) but only by 600 votes. It's hard to extrapolate from these but I would bet that Labour will win the next general election, but with a "populist" opposition split between Tories and UKIP - and gradually there will be a slide towards UKIP.

Unlike the BNP thugs, UKIP look like what the Tories (Conservatives) used to. Fewer millionaires and more tweed jackets. But there is a nasty racist and homophobic heart beating beneath those jackets. I'm just waiting for the first of them to suggest quarantining anyone with an African name "just in case" because of Ebola.....