USA's Flag if CSA victory

I like the last one, so much that I will give it the rare honor of actualy saving it to my hard drive. I hope you don't mind if it or another version of it pops up sometime in the future.

The middle one is too CSA like for my tastes, though, and the first one I don't like at all.

Last edited:
One single star sounds like a good idea. That way they wouldn't either have to admit states were lost, or be in the situation of having "bogus" stars on the flag.

That's the Liberian flag. Had the US adopted it, Liberia would have chosen something else; or would there even have been a Liberia if the CSA won?

I think they would continue to use 32, 33 and 34 star flags until enough states were admitted to add more stars (KS and WV were admitted during the war). Had the CSA been awarded the territories of OK, NM and AZ, the US would have had 34 states and the CSA 14 states, prior to AK and HI.

Thande

Donor
That's the Liberian flag. Had the US adopted it, Liberia would have chosen something else; or would there even have been a Liberia if the CSA won?

Liberia was founded in 1822. It existed long before the US Civil War. The modern flag was adopted in 1847 (previously it had a cross instead of a star) but note it only has eleven stripes. Given that Liberia's a small and obscure country coupled with the different number of stripes, I think it's realistic that the USA could adopt a one-star version.

When Francis Scott Key wrote his poem (song) the flag had 15 stars and 15 stripes. The Union might go back to the standard of having one star and one stripe for each state.

Presenting the 23 stars and stripes:
23stripes23stars.png

IOTL they stopped using one stripe per state because it was becoming too much.

They might not want 13 stripes because 4 of those stripes would represent "traitor" states.

They might reduce the number of stripes to 9; the original number of colonies "loyal" to the United States.
Here is a nine strip, one star flag:

1stars9stripes.png

. . . and just for the fun of it, here is a nine stripe / 23 star flag, and a 23 stripe / 1 star flag.

23stars9stripes.png

23stripes1star.png

. . . I think 9 stripes might work.

23smallstars9stripeswavy.jpg

Last edited: