USA intervenes in the Iran-Iraq War

Inspired by Crisis in the Kremlin.
So, is it possible that in response to iranian attemps to close the Hormuz the USA could bomb the iranian mainland and deploy Marines to occupy Qeshm and Bandar Abbas? What would happen if they did?

I don't think Iran ever attempted to close the straits of Hormuz, just stop Iraqi oil exports. Even during the hostage crisis of 1979-80, the US didn't take action (save for an abortive rescue attempt) presumably because it would've meant driving Iran into the arms of the USSR, and bringing the Soviets into the vital area. I suppose that, considering the importance of gulf crude, the US would have no choice but to react militarily if Iran did close the strait, otherwise it would be geopolitically too risky.

I don't think Iran ever attempted to close the straits of Hormuz, just stop Iraqi oil exports. Even during the hostage crisis of 1979-80, the US didn't take action (save for an abortive rescue attempt) presumably because it would've meant driving Iran into the arms of the USSR, and bringing the Soviets into the vital area. I suppose that, considering the importance of gulf crude, the US would have no choice but to react militarily if Iran did close the strait, otherwise it would be geopolitically too risky.
Afaik, the US Navy bombed the Iranian navy and downed and Airbus full of civilians, couldn't those actions be taken further?