US demographic series 2.0

You know, this is rather impressive. I'm kinda surprised how stable North Carolina has been. For an East Coast state of substantial size, only it and Florida seem to be peaking on a total sum (with only a few counties not currently at their peak), although it certainly hasn't had quite the explosive growth Florida had.

And, on the county level map of 2000 to 2010, how well does the population decrease band in the Deep South correlate with the Black Belt?

It's been a while since anyone posted here, but I made some new US religion maps, so I'm going to revive my thread. Starting with a map of Mormons:

JVuI7Y8.png

Here's a map of the Southern Baptist Convention, which is more popular in some areas in less popular in others than I thought it would be.
sFgducy.png

I am. The data is from the 2010 US religion census and the basemap was created by @Chicxulub.
Cool! You gained a lot of upvotes :) Could you make a map for Eastern Orthodox too? The the key probably should be fixed for it (for example 1-5 5-10 10-20 ecc..) but it would be interesting :)

What about Islam and Buddhism?
Cool! You gained a lot of upvotes :) Could you make a map for Eastern Orthodox too? The the key probably should be fixed for it (for example 1-5 5-10 10-20 ecc..) but it would be interesting :)
These are all too small to make with the scale I'm using, and that proposed scale is still too big to show much outside of Alaska. I think I'll make a new series with a much smaller and more detailed scale later.

Here it is! The percentage shows percentage of Dravidian Caucasians in the world, with the lightest being 0% and the darkest being 100%. Data from 2010 census. I will start working backwards...

FDiBbqc.png

Here it is! The percentage shows percentage of Dravidian Caucasians in the world, with the lightest being 0% and the darkest being 100%. Data from 2010 census. I will start working backwards...

FDiBbqc.png

I don't understand. What are Dravidian Caucasians, why are they allegedly offered as a race on the 2010 US Census (I can't find any mention of this being on the form), why did only Guilford County, NC and Lewis County, ID have significant numbers of respondents, and how did a majority of the third most populous county in North Carolina, and no others, list themselves as being of this obscure ethnicity?

I don't understand. What are Dravidian Caucasians, why are they allegedly offered as a race on the 2010 US Census (I can't find any mention of this being on the form), why did only Guilford County, NC and Lewis County, ID have significant numbers of respondents, and how did a majority of the third most populous county in North Carolina, and no others, list themselves as being of this obscure ethnicity?

I think that's not quite right. If I am understanding this correctly, he means that the vast majority of the Dravidians in the United States are found within a single county, while there is another small population in Idaho.

It's not the majority of the entire population of a county (which would be wrong; that was my initial surprise), it's the majority of the entire racial group excluding every single other.

I think that's not quite right. If I am understanding this correctly, he means that the vast majority of the Dravidians in the United States are found within a single county, while there is another small population in Idaho.

It's not the majority of the entire population of a county (which would be wrong; that was my initial surprise), it's the majority of the entire racial group excluding every single other.

Ah, that's more sensible. I still don't know what dravidian caucasians are, though. Is it people who identify as both white and South Asian, maybe?

Ah, that's more sensible. I still don't know what dravidian caucasians are, though. Is it people who identify as both white and South Asian, maybe?

From my brief search, they seem to be a small not-completely-recognized ethnic group that has Caucasian origins that had ended in southern India. Kinda like the Cochin Jews, If I'm correct.

Dravidian Caucasian: Actually Luminous is wrong. My father's new wife is Dravidian, and he is Caucasian. They had three kids, making them Dravidian Caucasian. And they all live in Guilford County. Well, they did in 2010. The family now lives in Davidson. Also, I forgot to change Lewis County, Idaho. Will change.

Using @Chicxulub's township map and ancestry data from the ACS, I plan on making an ancestry map for the Northeast and Midwestern US. However, as pointed out here, keeping each individual category separate is misleading. For my map, I plan on grouping the following ancestries together:

German: German and German Russian
British: British, English, Scottish, Welsh, Scotch-Irish, and Celtic
Irish: Irish and Celtic
French: French, French Canadian and Cajun
Nordic: Scandinavian, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, and Icelandic
Russian: Russian, German Russian, and Soviet Union
Chinese: Chinese and Taiwanese
Czech: Czech and Czechoslovakian
Slovak: Slovak, Czechoslovakian, and Carpatho Rusyn
Spanish: Spaniard and Spanish-American
Amish: Pennsylvania German and Alsatian
Southern Slavic: Slovene, Croat, Yugoslavian, Serbian, Montenegrin, Macedonian, and Bulgarian

Additionally, all Arabic and West Indian origins are grouped together in the survey. All other categories would be counted individually. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
Using @Chicxulub's township map and ancestry data from the ACS, I plan on making an ancestry map for the Northeast and Midwestern US. However, as pointed out here, keeping each individual category separate is misleading. For my map, I plan on grouping the following ancestries together:

German: German and German Russian
British: British, English, Scottish, Welsh, Scotch-Irish, and Celtic
Irish: Irish and Celtic
French: French, French Canadian and Cajun
Nordic: Scandinavian, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, and Icelandic
Russian: Russian, German Russian, and Soviet Union
Chinese: Chinese and Taiwanese
Czech: Czech and Czechoslovakian
Slovak: Slovak, Czechoslovakian, and Carpatho Rusyn
Spanish: Spaniard and Spanish-American
Amish: Pennsylvania German and Alsatian
Southern Slavic: Slovene, Croat, Yugoslavian, Serbian, Montenegrin, Macedonian, and Bulgarian

Additionally, all Arabic and West Indian origins are grouped together in the survey. All other categories would be counted individually. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I have already made a map of percentage of italian ancestry in North East using 2011-2015 ACS data and adjusting data for non-respondent, if you need it.

Last edited: