Upon the Waters: The History of Borealamerica and Beyond

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Alexander Helios, Sep 29, 2019.

?

What Should I Cover First?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2019.
  1. The Domestication of Wild Rice

27 vote(s)
    48.2%
  2. The Proto-Algonquian Migration East

29 vote(s)
    51.8%
  1. Alexander Helios Pre-Columbian Satan

I should have the first official update up by this weekend, with next Wednesday at the very latest.

That's also a very interesting time period. Don't think we've seen too many TL's tackle that time period (there's the timeline about Donnacona and French exploration in North America, but I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head).

Mesoamerica is pretty cool too, and it holds a place in my heart, as I did a fair bit of research into the region before starting to focus on North America. The cultures of the region will definitely play a important role ITTL.

It'll be very soon, so stay tuned.

Don't worry, haven't overlooked the Finger Lakes. Keep your eyes out for an important Algonquian state or two propping up in the region.

2. klurgen New Member

This is will be interesting!

Alexander Helios likes this.
  3. UpontheHill Member

I find the Hopewell and their astronomy to be particularly interesting, but really I'm happy to take anything you've got. I had to migrate my own pdf folder to Amazon Drive because I ran out of space on Dropbox and I already have a Prime account, so don't think I am some spring chicken.

I will look for your recommendation.

4. IncongruousGoat Armchair Rocket Scientist

The Finger Lakes region is nice, to be sure. Unfortunately, the Adirondacks are likely to stay sparsely populated ITTL. Much as I may love them, they're still one of the coldest, snowiest, and overall roughest places east of the Mississippi.

Upstate NY is a heck of a place for somewhere that's so ignored.

5. altwere Well-Known Member

They are the only place in Eastern North America that are still rising.

DanMcCollum and Alexander Helios like this.
  6. Alexander Helios Pre-Columbian Satan

Thank you, hope you like it!

In that case, have you read An Archaeology of the Sacred: Adena-Hopewell Astronomy and Landscape Archaeology by William F Romain? I haven't been able to find the entire book online for free, but individual chapters of the book are easily found online (I downloaded a few from academia.edu), and I figure that if you look hard enough you could probably compile all of them.

In addition, I've found a few other scattered articles on Adena/Hopewell/Mississippian astronomy and religion over the months, though I'll have to do some digging to find them again.

You'd be right in that regard, there won't be much civilization in the Adirondacks. Though further down the line, we will see a certain group of people from the far north who will find the conditions perfect for their lifestyle. But spoilers.

Really? The Adirondacks truly are a geological anomaly.

7. Talus I of Dixie We need to wank Venice

HEY! My AH.com didn't notify me of the release! Time to see what surprises you have for me in this TL :winkytongue:, i haven't followed this for so long for nothing :p

EDIT:
    Screenshot_20191006-120940-1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    marcduarte and Alexander Helios like this.
  8. Some Bloke Well-Known Member

Any domesticable animals native to the Great Lakes?

9. IncongruousGoat Armchair Rocket Scientist

Turkey and wolves, but nothing else comes to mind.

Alexander Helios and Some Bloke like this.
  10. Glory2Cabinda Well-Known Member

In his planning thread he said the Algonquins would have domestic ducks and muskrats.

11. Some Bloke Well-Known Member

So it looks like arable farming, hunting, and fishing for the immediate future.

12. fernerdave on the boat now

My name is Yon Yonsin, I now live in Visconsin
    And dogs migrated to the region with the humans.

13. Glory2Cabinda Well-Known Member

No they would have muskrats mallard ducks turkeys and geese to tend to.

14. SenatorErnesto Well-Known Member

I recommend a look at the planning thread for all those interested in the possible domesticates. The community thought up a ton of them.

Or keep it a surprise and wait for updates!

15. DanMcCollum P-WI

Okay, this sounds super interesting! So I've always had this softspot for the idea of Woodland natives developing the wheel and then using domesticated dogs to pull carts and the like. I mean: vicious dog chariots! Not sure if this is really viable, but its stuck in my mind all the same :)

16. Alexander Helios Pre-Columbian Satan

Hey man! I was wondering when you'd get here. You'll definitely enjoy some of the things I have planned for South America (though it's gonna take me a bit before I cover it).

Yeah, people have mentioned some of the planned domesticates above (though there's plenty more in store). If you want more information about the topic, I'd second the suggestion of checking the planning thread, as we've discussed a lot in that regard.

Approximately, though I wouldn't place hunting so far up as a major part of the economy. Besides livestock, a daily diet that contains enough wild rice and groundnut will provide the daily protein requirements. Once societies make the shift to fully sedentary communities, hunting will become almost obsolete, except for sport.

And as for fishing (a little bit later on we'll see some major aquacultural innovations), it'll be more important in some areas than others.

Thanks! Dog are good draft animals, and things like dog sleds were utilized by some natives (mostly in the Arctic, but some sources I've read claim that various other tribes engaged in the practice). I've heard about dogs pulling wheeled carts as well, so it's not implausible. I'll see what I can do. ;)

By the way guys, I promised an update by today at the latest, but realistically I think I'll be able to post it by Friday. Thanks for the patience!

17. Talus I of Dixie We need to wank Venice

The delay of my arrival was a combination of a lack of AH.com notification, a difficult time at school and other minor things, but now i'm back in business :cool:

And about South America, let's see...surprise me :p

If Friday is a bad song, can Friday be a good update? x'D

18. lou3004 she/her

as both an aspiring member of the up-and-coming AH.com Pre-Columbian Cabal and an upstate NYer, i'm interested. (well, I've been very interested since the planning thread :p)

looking forward to see what this TL has in store.

19. Some Bloke Well-Known Member

Anyone got a link to the planning thread?

20. ramones1986 Grumpy and Lazy

Here you go