Upcoming AH books

I just released All Union, an alternate history novel that I've been delighted to write.

Get it here: https://www.amazon.com/All-Union-Novel-Love-Mystery-ebook/dp/B0BW51JVX2/

The USSR survives in a modified and reformed (to what degree depends on where you are and who you ask) form called the Union of Soviet Sovereign Republics. So did the Ceausescu regime in Romania, and the two met in a war in 1998. In it, Nicolae Ceausescu simply disappeared without a trace. But then a clue to his fate turned up in the most unusual place.

First half is a sort of "pop epic"/broad-scale character fiction while the second half is a lot more technothrillery.
I'm about halfway through and I'm loving it. It's really reminding me that I need to spend more time on Character, because I've really gotten caught up in the plot. Great Job Colin!

-HC

Earth's Eulogy is book one in the series "Earth's New Timeline". Two men are sent back to the first century after the earth is destroyed in an asteroid apocolypse. They only survive because they happened to be working in a seed vault when it happens. An alien arrives and sends them back in time with the hope that if they make enough changes earth will have the technology to overcome the astroid apocolypse. One goes to africa, the other to Texas. Book 7 in the series is about to release. First couple of books focuses on the area immediately surrounding them, but by book six they are dealing with most of the empires in the world.

I just released All Union, an alternate history novel that I've been delighted to write.

Get it here: https://www.amazon.com/All-Union-Novel-Love-Mystery-ebook/dp/B0BW51JVX2/

The USSR survives in a modified and reformed (to what degree depends on where you are and who you ask) form called the Union of Soviet Sovereign Republics. So did the Ceausescu regime in Romania, and the two met in a war in 1998. In it, Nicolae Ceausescu simply disappeared without a trace. But then a clue to his fate turned up in the most unusual place.

First half is a sort of "pop epic"/broad-scale character fiction while the second half is a lot more technothrillery.
As an update on Coiler's book, here's the Review I posted on Amazon:
5.0 out of 5 stars All Union gives us a fantastic look into a USSR that almost was!
Reviewed in the United States on February 25, 2023
Verified Purchase

When writing Alternate History, authors are often challenged between world building and character building. It is difficult to do both well. Colin Salt’s novel approach (and I don’t know if that pun was intended or not TBH) pays off well, where he clearly divides his book into a deep character dive, with a sprinkling of world building, followed by a riveting war thriller.

I was a bit dubious of the sub title, but this book really is about love, mystery and war, and each aspect is well told. In my experience that combination is very rare. Most author’s who can write a badass battle scene tend to embarrass themselves when they try to incorporate a true love story. But Colin easily slides between the two. The Mystery was fun, and I 100% didn’t see it coming, though the payoff in the epilog was a bit of a let down to this reader.

It's almost an intangible, but there's something about Colin's diction. There were several times in the book where I laughed out loud at a turn of phrase, and then stopped, thinking "I feel like I'm the only person in the world who finds that funnny" Almost like I'm sharing an inside joke with a stranger. Read the book, and tell me if that makes any sense.

If you are a fan of history, and what might have been, this is a great read. Colin doesn’t get bogged down in the minutia of Governing the Soviet Sovereign Republics, but provides an interesting overview of how some of this could have come to be.

Finally, this is a complete story. It has a beginning, a Middle and an end. It doesn’t end on a cliffhanger, but it leaves the door open for another installment that I hope the author pursues, and I’ll read if and when it comes out.

Hello all, I've finally self-published the extended version of 'The Death of Russia' on Amazon. I wish I could give something more wholesome to the world on Easter, but this will have to do.

1681050805246.png

Barring a couple of changes to the exact colour shades, this will probably be my book's final cover (my name's been covered up for the time being - still pondering whether to go by an alias but I guess there's no harm in my real name eventually). I'l be honest - having made it myself, I'm pretty proud of it. Reminds me of those old pulp-y covers.

If you'd like a pitch, it's a line-by-line retelling of the original text with the setting altered to modern-day Cornwall, and when I say line-by-line I really mean it. Everything that happens in the original book happens, in its own way, in this, down to some of the tiniest details, while being adapted for a modern setting and toyed with and often subverted or inverted, and being expanded upon and explored further and incorporated into a narrative which takes on the same horror, political satire, and slice of life observation as the original. Its word count is, I think, 3 times that of the original HG Wells book. To tell you the truth, I'm quite proud of it. Is it perfect? Probably not. But I think I did quite well.

Folks who've known me on this site for a while must have stopped reading a while back, unable to deal with the astonishment that I, Star Eater, began a needlessly ambitious project and then actually finished it ;)

View attachment 760239

I can hardly believe it either but it's indeed true - after almost a year, this is just days away from release on Kindle and paperback! A project which began in September 2021 now reaches its finale.

Another new series that has come out is The Kings Ohio Rifles by Jason Lambright. It's set in a world where the American Colonies are still under British rule during world war I.

Just got an email saying this is coming at long last. John Birmingham says its free if you have Kindle Unlimited for the next 2 weeks and will be released in Print by Christmas.
denver3374.jpg

Last edited:
Francis Spufford has written an AH novel, Cahokia Jazz, set in a world where the POD was that the smallpox variant that arrived in America was variola minor, rather than major.

Alex Preston's review in The Guardian notes the painstaking world building (there's an invented language, Anopa), but also a lot of exposition. Still, sounds interesting.

Last edited:
MdgU1Hd.jpg

Greetings All.

Long time lurker first time poster, mainly because I have been working on the above novel. The Two Major PODs are Stonewall Jackson, surviving Chancellorsville, and John Reynolds, accepting command of the AoP on June 3, 1863. However, there are many other smaller ones that will kick over dominoes. I hope you'll give it a shot. It's available on Kindle Vella right now. I'll include the written trailer below and how Kindle Vella works.

TRAILER

An action-packed and painstakingly researched masterwork, MALICE TOWARDS SOME VOLUME 1 is an alternate history novel depicting the events from May 1, 1863, to the morning of July 1, 1863, right up to the first shot of the Battle of Gettysburg.

The year is 1863. The third year of the American Civil War. General “Fighting Joe” Hooker, commander of the Army of the Potomac has executed a brilliant flanking maneuver, crossed the Rappahannock River, and caught Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia, napping, setting the stage for the bloody Battle of Chancellorsville.

On the left wing of the Army of the Potomac, Major General John Fulton Reynolds, the solid, dependable, and aggressive commander of I Corps, is forced into sending the elite Iron Brigade on an unheard-of daylight river crossing to seize the far shore. With a show of personal courage and sheer force of will, Reynolds accomplishes this task only to be halted in his goal of taking Fredericksburg by his superior and the commander of the Army’s left wing: the kind and benevolent but overly-cautious Major General “Uncle John” Sedgwick.

Meanwhile, the Right-Wing II and VI Corps, under the command of Major Generals Darius Couch and George Meade, fight a bloody battle at Tabernacle and Zoan Hill as the Confederates attempt to bottle up the Federals in The Wilderness.

With the Federals on both his flanks. Robert E. Lee must either attack or flee in ignominious retreat. When his bold, dashing, and brilliant cavalry Chief, Major General Jeb Stuart, brings him a way around the Union right flank, Lee conceives one of the most desperate and daring military gambles ever.

As Stonewall Jackson initiates his flank attack, John Reynolds hurries I Corps to safeguard the targeted flank. The two armies are set to clash in the Battle of U.S. Ford. The battle will prove to be a pivotal moment in history for both men and set off a series of events that will forever alter the course of the nation.

Malice Towards Some is the first book of a story depicting how history could have unfolded. It is a tale of heroism and treachery, of heroes and villains, tyrants and freedom fighters. History and fiction blend seamlessly in a story set in America's most trying hour.

KINDLE VELLA: HOW IT WORKS
1. Click on the link PROVIDED or on the Amazon homepage and then search: Kindle Vella Malice Toward Some.
2. In the top right corner, you will see 200 tokens. Those are free. Click on them and get them.
3. The first 3 Chapters cost ZERO tokens. I've made those chapters longer so you get more story.
4. Starting with chapter 4, you must spend tokens to continue reading. Chapters 4-7 amount to 81 tokens ( They're shorter, about half the length of 1-3), so you still are not paying a penny to read.
5. Please please, if you enjoy a chapter, hit the thumbs-up button, rate it( hopefully high), and leave a positive and/or encouraging comment. Ratings and good comments are the lifeblood of self-published authors and will assist me in my greatest challenge: getting people to give it a read.
6. Two new chapters will be released every Wednesday. So it is like waiting for your favorite show to drop new episodes.
7. Please share this post. Much thanks to all who read, enjoy, and help promote. God Bless.

MdgU1Hd.jpg

Greetings All.

Long time lurker first time poster, mainly because I have been working on the above novel. The Two Major PODs are Stonewall Jackson, surviving Chancellorsville, and John Reynolds, accepting command of the AoP on June 3, 1863. However, there are many other smaller ones that will kick over dominoes. I hope you'll give it a shot. It's available on Kindle Vella right now. I'll include the written trailer below and how Kindle Vella works.

TRAILER

An action-packed and painstakingly researched masterwork, MALICE TOWARDS SOME VOLUME 1 is an alternate history novel depicting the events from May 1, 1863, to the morning of July 1, 1863, right up to the first shot of the Battle of Gettysburg.

The year is 1863. The third year of the American Civil War. General “Fighting Joe” Hooker, commander of the Army of the Potomac has executed a brilliant flanking maneuver, crossed the Rappahannock River, and caught Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia, napping, setting the stage for the bloody Battle of Chancellorsville.

On the left wing of the Army of the Potomac, Major General John Fulton Reynolds, the solid, dependable, and aggressive commander of I Corps, is forced into sending the elite Iron Brigade on an unheard-of daylight river crossing to seize the far shore. With a show of personal courage and sheer force of will, Reynolds accomplishes this task only to be halted in his goal of taking Fredericksburg by his superior and the commander of the Army’s left wing: the kind and benevolent but overly-cautious Major General “Uncle John” Sedgwick.

Meanwhile, the Right-Wing II and VI Corps, under the command of Major Generals Darius Couch and George Meade, fight a bloody battle at Tabernacle and Zoan Hill as the Confederates attempt to bottle up the Federals in The Wilderness.

With the Federals on both his flanks. Robert E. Lee must either attack or flee in ignominious retreat. When his bold, dashing, and brilliant cavalry Chief, Major General Jeb Stuart, brings him a way around the Union right flank, Lee conceives one of the most desperate and daring military gambles ever.

As Stonewall Jackson initiates his flank attack, John Reynolds hurries I Corps to safeguard the targeted flank. The two armies are set to clash in the Battle of U.S. Ford. The battle will prove to be a pivotal moment in history for both men and set off a series of events that will forever alter the course of the nation.

Malice Towards Some is the first book of a story depicting how history could have unfolded. It is a tale of heroism and treachery, of heroes and villains, tyrants and freedom fighters. History and fiction blend seamlessly in a story set in America's most trying hour.

1. Click on the link PROVIDED or on the Amazon homepage and then search: Kindle Vella Malice Toward Some.
2. In the top right corner, you will see 200 tokens. Those are free. Click on them and get them.
3. The first 3 Chapters cost ZERO tokens. I've made those chapters longer so you get more story.
4. Starting with chapter 4, you must spend tokens to continue reading. Chapters 4-7 amount to 81 tokens ( They're shorter, about half the length of 1-3), so you still are not paying a penny to read.
5. Please please, if you enjoy a chapter, hit the thumbs-up button, rate it( hopefully high), and leave a positive and/or encouraging comment. Ratings and good comments are the lifeblood of self-published authors and will assist me in my greatest challenge: getting people to give it a read.
6. Two new chapters will be released every Wednesday. So it is like waiting for your favorite show to drop new episodes.
7. Please share this post. Much thanks to all who read, enjoy, and help promote. God Bless.
What happens once we run out of tokens and there's more chapters to read?

MdgU1Hd.jpg

Greetings All.

TRAILER

What happens once we run out of tokens and there's more chapters to read
What happens once we run out of tokens and there's more chapters to read?
Screenshot_20231016-175440_Samsung Internet.jpg

How do UK people read it?

Not exactly new, but since I just discovered this thread, I thought I should post my novel, Caesar's Command. POD is Sertorius having a half-Iberian son who rises in Hispania when Caesar is governor, extending his governorship there...and changing the face of Roman politics forever.

Caesar Fights for the Republic. History Changes Forever.

Caesar is the praetorian governor of Further Spain when war breaks out against a rebel with a familiar name: Quintus Sertorius. The late Roman rebel left a half-Iberian son behind, and now he's determined to win freedom for his people. But there's one problem: Gaius Julius Caesar is in his way.

Now Caesar finds himself on the side of the Republic, with Pompey the Great as the threat looming in the shadows. But without the political influence he'll gain later in life - or the great fortune gained from a conquest of Gaul that may now never happen - Caesar is in need of political allies. Can he swallow his pride and ally with the conservatives who dominate the Roman Senate, or must he fight enemies on all fronts? Was Caesar by nature a rebel, destined to rule Rome? Or will history change when Caesar fights for the Republic, with Pompey as the enemy at the gates?

91dj0Nkt7KL._SL1500_.jpg

Available in ebook, paperback, and hardcover. Also free for members of Kindle Unlimited.

Mark1878

Donor
You have to purchase more. That's how they make their money and unfortunately Vella is only available in the US for now.
It's an issue for use writers. Amazon is not promoting Vella much and only in the United States obviously cuts out the global market. Thanks though for giving it a look.
Not fully - traditional publishers usually give two contracts one for USA/Canada and another for UK/Commonwealth and you can't sell a book released in one group in the other. SO you need the two contracts.
Amazon I think is still based that way so you or the publisher have to talk to Amazon.uk - the author can have (and for paper books often has) different publisher in the US and UK because one publisher only deals in say the US.