Upcoming AH books

Barring a couple of changes to the exact colour shades, this will probably be my book's final cover (my name's been covered up for the time being - still pondering whether to go by an alias but I guess there's no harm in my real name eventually). I'l be honest - having made it myself, I'm pretty proud of it. Reminds me of those old pulp-y covers.

If you'd like a pitch, it's a line-by-line retelling of the original text with the setting altered to modern-day Cornwall, and when I say line-by-line I really mean it. Everything that happens in the original book happens, in its own way, in this, down to some of the tiniest details, while being adapted for a modern setting and toyed with and often subverted or inverted, and being expanded upon and explored further and incorporated into a narrative which takes on the same horror, political satire, and slice of life observation as the original. Its word count is, I think, 3 times that of the original HG Wells book. To tell you the truth, I'm quite proud of it. Is it perfect? Probably not. But I think I did quite well.

Folks who've known me on this site for a while must have stopped reading a while back, unable to deal with the astonishment that I, Star Eater, began a needlessly ambitious project and then actually finished it ;)

SWEET OBLIVION2.jpg

Last edited:
This is still seriously tentative, but we are hoping to do a multi-author anthology set in my Snapshot Universe. I just wanted to give writers here a heads-up so you can start thinking about potential stories if you are interested. Several of the slots for the anthology will be by invitation, but we also hope to have slots to be filled by open submissions. This will be funded by a kickstarter. I will be co-editor, with the other editor someone pretty well known in the Alternate History field and with experience in projects like this.

So what is this Snapshot Universe? It is sort of a cross between Phillip Jose Farmer’s Riverworld and his World of the Tiers Universe, with its own twists. Snapshots are essentially alternate realities you can fly between. Since dinosaur times or earlier, aliens with Godlike powers have been creating living replicas of Earth continents in snow globe shaped artificial universes. Life in those universes quickly diverges from the real world, creating continent-sized alternate realities. These Snapshots are connected like a pearl necklace by widely separated gates high over their oceans, usually just two gates per Snapshot.

The ”necklace” of Snapshots is effectively infinite and can put Snapshots from any era next to each other, giving authors a huge playground for stories that contrast cultures, while sharing a universe without interfering with one another. I've defined around two-dozen Snapshots and written five published novels two novellas and a short story in the universe so far.

So at this point, I just want to let you know what is hopefully coming. I would love to see people here submit stories, back the kickstarter when it happens, and spread the word once we get things going.

If you are interested, I can also post through the kickstarter, giving lessons learned and that sort of thing.

A new short novella launching a potential series. An alternate world where the American Civil War ground to a stalemate due to concerns about losses on both sides, resulting in slavery remaining legal into the 21st century.
A spicy romance about a Thai/Indian hybrid pleasure slave shipped from modern-day colonial Singapore to Las Vegas, leading to events that will change the world.

IMG_20220927_154925_178-01.jpeg

A new short novella launching a potential series. An alternate world where the American Civil War ground to a stalemate due to concerns about losses on both sides, resulting in slavery remaining legal into the 21st century.
A spicy romance about a Thai/Indian hybrid pleasure slave shipped from modern-day colonial Singapore to Las Vegas, leading to events that will change the world.
This sound like it’s a case of an author prioritizing allegory before good story or world-building.

This sound like it’s a case of an author prioritizing allegory before good story or world-building.
The use of the word "spicy" implies to me it's more a case of an author prioritising their own unpleasant sexual fetishes before allegory or good story or world building.

@AceOfSpades and @Star Eater you reminded of something that happens OFTEN to me when I go on Amazon or goodreads... I search alternatehistory, military fiction, science fiction and I get recommendations like that one. I am not against the type of literature per se but it gets boring to see what could interested in when I get bombarded by those websites with these types of book despite I am pretty sure I never stumbled upon one. And it gets irritating when 99% of them use those tags but the genres are just like a window dressing.

This is still seriously tentative, but we are hoping to do a multi-author anthology set in my Snapshot Universe. I just wanted to give writers here a heads-up so you can start thinking about potential stories if you are interested. Several of the slots for the anthology will be by invitation, but we also hope to have slots to be filled by open submissions. This will be funded by a kickstarter. I will be co-editor, with the other editor someone pretty well known in the Alternate History field and with experience in projects like this.

So what is this Snapshot Universe? It is sort of a cross between Phillip Jose Farmer’s Riverworld and his World of the Tiers Universe, with its own twists. Snapshots are essentially alternate realities you can fly between. Since dinosaur times or earlier, aliens with Godlike powers have been creating living replicas of Earth continents in snow globe shaped artificial universes. Life in those universes quickly diverges from the real world, creating continent-sized alternate realities. These Snapshots are connected like a pearl necklace by widely separated gates high over their oceans, usually just two gates per Snapshot.

The ”necklace” of Snapshots is effectively infinite and can put Snapshots from any era next to each other, giving authors a huge playground for stories that contrast cultures, while sharing a universe without interfering with one another. I've defined around two-dozen Snapshots and written five published novels two novellas and a short story in the universe so far.

So at this point, I just want to let you know what is hopefully coming. I would love to see people here submit stories, back the kickstarter when it happens, and spread the word once we get things going.

If you are interested, I can also post through the kickstarter, giving lessons learned and that sort of thing.
Dude, as a young writer, I'd be so down, let me know when the Kickstarter comes up!

If anyone is interested, the author D.A. Brock has a new series called the Republic of Texas Navy book. He just came out with book two this month. Personally, I thought they were both good books.

I'd like promote another AH book I wrote and published on the Amazon Kindle store, which is about ancient Carthaginians from North Africa discovering the Americas in 200 BC:
Carthage-Atlantica-Book-Cover.jpg

Carthage Atlantica
It is 200 BC, and the North African civilization of Carthage is recovering from a brutal war against the Roman Republic. Searching for new lands to colonize so they can rebuild their wealth, the Carthaginians send a fleet across the Atlantic Ocean that lands on the shore of North America, which they call “Atlantis”. As they struggle to adapt to this new world, the Carthaginian settlers find themselves drawn into a conflict between Native American nations, a conflict the colonists’ own leadership is willing to aggravate in the name of their personal ambitions. Can the colony of Carthage Atlantica survive in this account of alternate history?

I'd like promote another AH book I wrote and published on the Amazon Kindle store, which is about ancient Carthaginians from North Africa discovering the Americas in 200 BC:
Carthage-Atlantica-Book-Cover.jpg

Carthage Atlantica
Based on the cover alone you have my interest. Not my usual type of ATL, but I might take a punt on it as it's that rarest of things a truly original ATL to my knowledge.

I am giving thanks to my loyal readers with a Black Weekend free download of my newest Kindle eBook.

Dynasty in the East is an Alternate History Saga that begins in 1405, when a late departing element of the First Chinese Treasure Fleet is driven far to the north by a major typhoon. They sail due east in an attempt to catch up with the rest of the fleet, and make landfall in the Americas. After trading for a hoard of Inca gold, they sail north and establish a colony in Northern California.​

Meriwether Lewis buys a Girandoni repeating air rifle with his own money at the Brown’s Ferry Arsenal, while purchasing guns and supplies for the Corps of Discovery Expedition.

That rifle has a profound effect on the Expedition to the West Coast, the Empire, the Alamo, and in the Civil War.

Historical figures, including William Clark, Davy Crockett, Quincy Adams, Daniel Webster, Andy Jackson, Robert E. Lee, Abraham Lincoln and others will play roles in this saga which continues into the 1880s.

Find it at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BN4QJRBM

I am giving thanks to my loyal readers with a Black Weekend free download of my newest Kindle eBook.

Dynasty in the East is an Alternate History Saga that begins in 1405, when a late departing element of the First Chinese Treasure Fleet is driven far to the north by a major typhoon. They sail due east in an attempt to catch up with the rest of the fleet, and make landfall in the Americas. After trading for a hoard of Inca gold, they sail north and establish a colony in Northern California.​

Meriwether Lewis buys a Girandoni repeating air rifle with his own money at the Brown’s Ferry Arsenal, while purchasing guns and supplies for the Corps of Discovery Expedition.

That rifle has a profound effect on the Expedition to the West Coast, the Empire, the Alamo, and in the Civil War.

Historical figures, including William Clark, Davy Crockett, Quincy Adams, Daniel Webster, Andy Jackson, Robert E. Lee, Abraham Lincoln and others will play roles in this saga which continues into the 1880s.

Find it at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BN4QJRBM
Hmm, the premise seems interesting.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I have published my 1890s Byzantines vs Britain story 'A Dream of Empire' in the Little Books series under the Scimitar Edge imprint

The final version has all 25 chapters in it, including one that seems never to have been published here, a zoomed-in map showing the Roman Empire and British India (thanks to @B_Munro ) and some pages of military and civilian terminology, akin to a glossary

The updated version is just making its way through Amazon's systems so give it a few days

Cover image by Robin Stacey

9781915692047.jpg

I thought I might as well drop this here:

The third book should be out in June! And I wasn't super specific on the PoD, so if that really annoys you, consider yourself warned :)
If anyone can't, or doesn't want to figure it out, we can walk through it on the board.

Thanks!
-HC

I just released All Union, an alternate history novel that I've been delighted to write.

Get it here: https://www.amazon.com/All-Union-Novel-Love-Mystery-ebook/dp/B0BW51JVX2/

The USSR survives in a modified and reformed (to what degree depends on where you are and who you ask) form called the Union of Soviet Sovereign Republics. So did the Ceausescu regime in Romania, and the two met in a war in 1998. In it, Nicolae Ceausescu simply disappeared without a trace. But then a clue to his fate turned up in the most unusual place.

First half is a sort of "pop epic"/broad-scale character fiction while the second half is a lot more technothrillery.

That sounds like creepy theme-exploitation and badly-written erotic fiction, with extra steps.