Upcoming AH books

The second part, Progress Through Science: The Downfall is now also available.

Progress Through Science: Gray Tide

Progress Through Science: The Downfall
With respect, I don't quite follow the premise of the books based on the description that Amazon provides. The most I gather is that an overtly logically focused government comes to power in the US, presumably around the era of WWII?

With respect, I don't quite follow the premise of the books based on the description that Amazon provides. The most I gather is that an overtly logically focused government comes to power in the US, presumably around the era of WWII?
A scientific, skeptical, rational government comes to power and proceeds to enlighten and improve the population. Irrational mystics do not appreciate the uplift.

A scientific, skeptical, rational government comes to power and proceeds to enlighten and improve the population. Irrational mystics do not appreciate the uplift.

I really would recommend that you revise your book descriptions and back-cover descriptions. As the user above noted, I can't tell what the plot is about or why I would want want read it.

Try reading other books in the genre and their blurbs

I really would recommend that you revise your book descriptions and back-cover descriptions. As the user above noted, I can't tell what the plot is about or why I would want want read it.

Try reading other books in the genre and their blurbs
Agreed. Perhaps being a little more specific about the setting and what the actual story is centered on. Who are these “irrational mystics” or what is this government doing to antagonize anyone? A rational government sounds good so what exactly is the problem or how is this different from history?

I haven't liked a Stirling book since the "nuts and bolts of surviving an ISOT" bits of early ISOT, and his The Chosen (a collab with David Drake which is basically "David Drake gives a sci-fi excuse to cover Stirling's ego when the book is like 90% the Draka falling apart under the weight of their own cartoonish evil and stupidity").

Anything with a really early PoD. I'm writing one set in 2022, but with the PoD being 878. One where Guthrum the Conquerer manages to have a nice visit with Alfred the Last over Christmas. It is followed by a pious religious ceremony where Alfred and his son are sent to the next world.

Would love to see something similar.

Shadow007

Banned
Here are a few books I've read through Kindle:

Lonestar Reloaded series, 6 books, by Drew McGunn - An American Soldier in Iraq goes into a coma. He wakes up in 1836 in the body of one of the Alamo defenders.

Crossover Series, 2 books, by Walt Socha - Five people go back in time to 1054 North America. They help a Native American village against a local Indian warlord.

Arturo Sandus, 7 books, by Peter Rhodan - Man from the far-future ends up in 410 Roman Britannia. Time to restore the Republic and Modernize Ancient Humanity!

Sealion Drowning by Jon Zackon - What would actually happened had Operation Sea Lion occured with consenquences after.

Righteous Kill by Ted Lapkin - Modern Israeli soldiers go back in time to 1940 to kill Hitler and his patsies

Righteous Kill by Ted Lapkin - Modern Israeli soldiers go back in time to 1940 to kill Hitler and his patsies
This one's author showed up here a while back, people criticized his premise, what he said the ending would be, and his reasoning, and things got heated enough a mod got involved iirc. A lot of the criticism was "this is basically just killing Hitler and doing nothing that will practically prevent the Holocaust from happening".

This one's author showed up here a while back, people criticized his premise, what he said the ending would be, and his reasoning, and things got heated enough a mod got involved iirc. A lot of the criticism was "this is basically just killing Hitler and doing nothing that will practically prevent the Holocaust from happening".
The premise sounds like Inglorious Basterds but in 1940 and with time travelers instead of the Jewish Dirty Dozen.

The premise sounds like Inglorious Basterds but in 1940 and with time travelers instead of the Jewish Dirty Dozen.
It was kinda spoiled by the author loudly announcing that the book is written from a racist point of view and generally not responding well to criticism of his analysis of history.

IIRC what he said would happen is that with Hitler dead, the Wehrmacht would coup and peace out in the west before focusing on the Soviets and not doing pogroms or the Holocaust. People pointed out that by this point the Wehrmacht was run by cartoonishly vile, racist, Nazi-sympathetic scum, and Germany was riding high on war fever (and Hitler was at his most popular). He basically said, if I remember correctly, that he wanted there to still be OTL Israel after the time-travel, and the protagonists specifically select this time to kill Hitler because they think it'll ensure that.

Best thing to come out of the thread was a bunch of alternative ideas, like "kill Hitler before he becomes a thing" or "Palestinian paras go back with the Mossad guys, trying to prevent the Nakba by preventing the Holocaust, and causing tension between two groups who hate each other and want the same thing for different reasons".

I had a set-to with him. He had the British Army Intelligence Department sending an agent into France to find the Sayeret Matkal assassins. When I pointed out it would be the SIS [Secret Intelligence Service] he said that then they were only doing codebreaking. (GC&CS [Government Code & Cypher School] was doing codebreaking under the command of "C" (the Chief of the SIS, Stewart Graham Menzies) then but SIS also did other things, and the date was a little too soon for the mission to be done by the SOE [Special Operations Executive].)

Palestinian paras go back with the Mossad guys, trying to prevent the Nakba by preventing the Holocaust, and causing tension between two groups who hate each other and want the same thing for different reasons".
Ngl, I'd read a book with that as the premise just to see where it goes.

Last edited:
Nhl, I'd read a book with that as the premise just to see where it goes.
It does sounds pretty interesting too. Assuming they don't kill each other first the whole operation would be glorious, either by pulling it off or by how comedically terrible it would go.

Nhl, I'd read a book with that as the premise just to see where it goes.
It would definitely be interesting, in the "Chinese" sense.

They come to blows at least once which nearly gets both groups killed by the Nazis, both groups have one guy who's super racist and wants to help Hitler instead of killing him ("Enemy of my enemy, and if we help him finish the extermination they'll never invade us..." "He has the right idea, albeit the wrong master race, and really, my hero Avraham Stern tried to ally with him so let's do that and purify the fatherland of the Arab vermin..."), they capture someone inner-circle (Heydrich or Himmler maybe) and now have a Nazi but not the one they want captive, meanwhile the like two guys who remember a damn thing about 1930s Germany try to remember how to find that guy who tried to blow up Hitler and missed him by 13 minutes, and it turns into a clusterfuck showdown of these guys shoving a top-ranking Nazi into a river with concrete sneakers, blowing Hitler to bits, and the like. Maybe the lead Israeli and Palestinian have the most vicious rivalry, but then end up going down fighting a bunch of Nazis to give the others time to escape.

Just, intersperse political tensions, interpersonal conflict, general drama, and the like with gonzo action and car chases and a lot of Nazis being blown up and headshot.

Here are a few books I've read through Kindle:

Lonestar Reloaded series, 6 books, by Drew McGunn - An American Soldier in Iraq goes into a coma. He wakes up in 1836 in the body of one of the Alamo defenders.
That sounds interesting. How much does the fella change, and how -wank does it get?

Do not recall this, but yeah, that's just silly. There is nothing wrong with going back in time to kill Hitler, but you have to do a bit more to make it stand out and do something with it. As in, if your book is all about killing Hitler, then it's a bit silly. But if you bump him off in the first chapter and then lots of things happen different and some things stay the same, then okay, I'm there.