Upcoming AH books

MaxGerke01

Banned
Coming June 2022-an alternate 1979 where the US and Soviet Union have permanent Moon bases,orbiting space stations and crewed spy satellites supported by frequent rocket launches,
alternate25.jpg
From the author of the well written Clashing Eagles alternate Roman Empire triology.

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
Currently out and set in an alternate 1953 where Great Britain capitulated to Nazi Germany and the British Resistance tries to interrupt the re coronation of King Edward VII and Queen Wallis to replace George VI and his family
alternate26.jpg
who were murdered. Described as The Handmaids Tale meets the Man in the High Castle.

Last edited:
Speaking of Baen... anybody see the cover for the next Ring of Fire spinoff?

View attachment 703160

I know 1632 has some detractors - frankly doing other ISOT scenarios with the Ring of Fire is long overdue, it's fresh - but fuck me if that's not one of the greatest book covers I've ever seen. You son of a bitch, I'm in.
Dude, that looks freaking awesome. It reminds me of the time-travelling Marine timeline in ASB.

That's just The Guns of the South with a crappier rifle!!!
Then you might find these novels described in my book A Man and a Plane (buy it, pretty please!) to be interesting:
"No, but it began there. During the recent debate on the weapons displayed in the late war, one of the honourable members opposite said, scornfully, that a certain development was so implausible that one might well imagine King Charles the First with a tommy gun. . . ."
Churchill had been writing the novel in his spare hours, as a relief from the duties of governing. The story invoved a band of time-travelers, like in Wells's novel, but time-travellers of a particularly nasty sect of the Nazi faith. "I styled them the 'National Democratic Republican Party'," he said, "though they were none of those things." The time-travelling NDRP had somehow found a place in England to work from, and were giving the Lee-Enfield rifle to the English Royalist armies.
By the time he reached that point in his description Churchill was quite enthusiastic about his story. "With this powerful new weapon, the Cavaliers proceed to win great victories against Cromwell's forces, having superior firepower at their disposal, and proceed to take London. When that is accomplished, my principal character, Sir Nathaniel, has an encounter with his sometime betrothed, Lady Mary Beane, who has seemingly deserted his affections for one of the strangers. She reveals to him how she has worked her way into their councils, and learned the truth of their dire scheme to wipe away Parliamentary government and establish a Naazi regime in England.

"With this splendid intelligence, the King and Prince Rupert — but I must not spoil the ending for you."
"Wonderful!" Manfred said. "What is this mighty literary epos called?"
"You must understand that I cannot yet release the book, not until I have retired from office. I have already been stigmatized as 'trivial' for having unleashed If Lee Had Not Won at Gettysburg upon the British public. My distinguished predecessor Disraeli could earn his living by the pen while occupying Number Ten, but these days such arrangements are frowned upon. However, I pray you will see The Guns of the King when it appears in print." And he smiled, proudly, as if an avuncular father proud of the accomplishments of his son. Even the real one could not seem to live up to that.
"Thank you. I was asking because in Germany now, the big seller is Goebbels's new book, Die Daressallamulanien. A giant comet strikes North America, right after the Franco-Prussian war, causing a new ice age. The Kaiser and his court, and the General Staff, have to relocate to German East Africa, where they are fighting an evil French conspiracy of satanists . . ."

Black chamber is probably the worst series I've personally read.
I just read the back of that book and would like to volunteer an official remark of "What?"
I'm trying to figure out if I trust my Italian reading skills* to the point of trying to read a novel.

*A term I use loosely since I essentially try to read Spanish and French with a bit of Italian Duolingo thrown on top.

Personally, I think the cover is worse then any summary.
Well the cover is pretty bad. (And worse because at least the first two had decent, if not great, covers.)

Could someone who read these books explain to me how the Germans have taken over Europe (beyond "with gas") ? Or why the US conquered Mexico? Do I even want to know?
"Thank you. I was asking because in Germany now, the big seller is Goebbels's new book, Die Daressallamulanien. A giant comet strikes North America, right after the Franco-Prussian war, causing a new ice age. The Kaiser and his court, and the General Staff, have to relocate to German East Africa, where they are fighting an evil French conspiracy of satanists . . ."
Is it bad that I'm actually somewhat interested in Die Daressalamulanien? Even though I don't think it would necessarily be good, I feel it would be oddly fascinating in its utter weirdness. The German General Staff vs French Satanists. I just think there's a wacky pulp novel in there somewhere. (I'll add Man in a Plane to my list of books to buy once the workload abates.)

I just read the back of that book and would like to volunteer an official remark of "What?"

I'm trying to figure out if I trust my Italian reading skills* to the point of trying to read a novel.

*A term I use loosely since I essentially try to read Spanish and French with a bit of Italian Duolingo thrown on top.
That can be an excellent excuse to improve your Italian.
Beware I myself did the last revision. That's still some little mistake here and there.

Attachments

• 51hvdDfRYNL._SY346_.jpg
    51hvdDfRYNL._SY346_.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 129
Sweet Jesus, I read the summaries of this Black Chamber. It doesn't even look like they go to So Bad It's Good territory. They just look plain bad. And he somehow.made 4 books?

Sweet Jesus, I read the summaries of this Black Chamber. It doesn't even look like they go to So Bad It's Good territory. They just look plain bad. And he somehow.made 4 books?
I literally just read it and finished it yesterday. I wasn't a huge fan. It just wasn't as engaging as other Stirling books are.

Being one of Baen's top sellers from back in the day is a nice gig, if you can get it. They'll publish anything you put out on the cheap as long as it's got action, something vaguely catchy wrt. sci-fi, politics, and/or history, and 'splosions.