Upcoming AH books

Thomas27

Banned
@Thomas27 I am thoroughly enjoying the book!
3jiq8q.jpg

So apparently George Galloway (yes, that George Galloway) has tweeted that he's written an alternate history "Sealion Succeeded" book.

Thande

Donor
Crossposting from the SLP thread:

Happy New Year 2020 everyone. This book is technically Sea Lion Press' last release of 2019, as it came out yesterday! It is also a foray into an unexplored realm for the alternate history genre - alternate cuisine!

Read the announcement here

Today, Sea Lion Press moves into the culinary arena with our first recipe book. This brilliant and innovative spin on alternate history by Andrew Brooks and Ekaterina Odnostorontseva charts the cross-dimensional travels of two foodies looking to explore England's capital city in multiple timelines – and try whatever the local cuisine is in the world they find themselves in.

AltTastesLondon.jpg

Complete with the recipes necessary to recreate the meals experienced, the book provides insights into twelve Londons, in worlds where Rome survived, or the Viking kings remained on the throne, or Lord Halifax came to an accord with Hitler, or a London that became distinctly Scottish after Victoria married the Duke of Argyll. The settings are imaginative, and the recipes delicious. We're proud to be publishing it as our last release of 2019 – make it the first book you read in 2020 by heading over to its entry in Our Books.

(That entry follows below)

Buy on Amazon

London. One of the great cities of the world. Regardless of the history, it’s one of the great cities.

Twelve different histories, and the current London from each. What are they like to visit? What is needed is a tour guide, something that covers everything that a visitor might want to know for a holiday here.

Sport, culture, shopping, dining, it’s all here. There is even a selection of recipes from each London, tested and ready for you to try out and use, to get your very own taste of London.

Whichever London you’re thinking of visiting, Andrew and Ekaterina will give you a pre-visit tour guide. Be it Norse, Caledonian, Roman, or something else, there will be something for every taste.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Genres are tricky, but I would like to recommend this book which I much enjoyed publishing (even enjoyed the numerous editing sessions!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Farraway-Steve-McAuliffe/dp/1910718998

Nicholas Farraway is dead. It had taken him a while to come to terms with this basic and yet jarring fact, but finally, in time he had learnt to accept it.

As far as Farraway is concerned, his first year and a bit of death has been a distinct disappointment; as is Heaven itself. He has so many questions: such as why are angels so arrogant; Why are there no children; and why does he work in surveillance if G-d is supposedly all-seeing?

Then one day, he sees something so shocking it shatters all his previous perceptions and leads him on an inevitable path towards ….

farraway500x700.png

There is a Kindle version which for some reason is not showing as linked, yet
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Farraway-Steve-McAuliffe-ebook/dp/B083C3Q2DY

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I have a new book.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083FKVSL8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+Motherland+Knows&qid=1578052631&sr=8-1

They thought he could help.
The First Man in Space was under pressure. He had to regain his flight status. A friend had died for him. And from all over the Soviet Union, workers and other proletarians wrote him begging for help. Sometimes he could help
And now, he was beginning to think, the Soviet Union was going the wrong way, a very wrong way.
They might decide to solve some matters. A dead hero can't disagree with the authorities.
So he reached out, to someone he had met, someone who was known, someone he thought he could trust.
Then, on a cold and clear Christmas night, he took the most daring step -- and the world changed.

In a tale of space flight, spying, and politics, people who thought they would never get into that sort of thing now found themselves propelled into it. A turbulent and tumultuous world is shaken into a different path, as leaders react to embarrassment with a desire for prestige, where the wish of a pilot is brought closer to coming through, and famous men are brought together, to find that enemies are more like them than they had imagined.

Russian scientist Kirill Eskov, known for The Last Ringbearer, an alternative take on The Lord of the Rings, has written a what-if take on Russian America.

What if Russia, instead of selling Alaska, had expanded its overseas possessions south, and discovered Californian gold? What if, left to their own devices far away from their government, the Russian colonists established the kind of free society others could only begin to dream of?

America could have been quite different if that game could have been reloaded.

Free download at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/991362

William Gibson's forthcoming novel Agency is set in a world where Hillary Clinton won the presidential election.
Book is now appearing. Somewhat unenthusiastic Guardian review:

The Washington Post is more favourable.

Thande

Donor
I will post this here rather than in the SLP thread as it is not exclusively SLP: Call for stories for King Arthur themed collection

This message is passed on on behalf of David Flin on Sea Lion Press (SLP) who is also setting up his own publisher focusing on children's fiction, as described below. For any queries or submissions, please use the contact email david.flin@outlook.com as I cannot help you with these.

From David Flin on SLP.

I've spoken with Meadow, and he considers that there is potential in a King Arthur Collection for SLP. As some of you may also be aware, I'm starting up Sergeant Frosty Publications (SFP) in October. SFP will be covering Historical Fiction for Children and Young Adults. There's also potential in a King Arthur Collection for SFP. The one would be looking at the legend/myth/AH from an adult view-point, the other from a view point suitable for SFP.

You're way ahead of me.

I'm collecting possible stories about King Arthur (or associated elements of the legend) with a view to creating a collection for SLP, and a collection of stories for SFP.

For SLP, the brief is to look at the legend, possibly shining a new light on certain aspects. It doesn't need to be about Arthur. There are a whole bunch of others in the mythology: Gawaine and Lancelot and Morgan and Morgawse and Merlin and Mordred and so on. I'm trying to avoid Return of King Arthur stories here. For one thing, that's already been done by SLP. Whether it's set in Dark Ages Britain, retaining historicity (as best one can within the legends) or whether it is looking at the myths involved, that's up to you.

As per usual, I'll be looking for around 10 stories. Length can be variable, but I'm looking for an average of 4K-8K. If yours is significantly over or under that, that probably won't be a problem, but might need some juggling on my part. That's what editors are for.

Deadline is rather open at the moment. I would like to get it together for around May, so ideally submissions before the end of April. However, it's not booked into the SLP schedule, so if it happens earlier or (more likely) later, that's not an issue.

For SFP, the brief is to entertain, and in a manner suitable for children and young adults. A story may be humour, adventure, mystery, whatever, but it needs to be age-appropriate. Again, it doesn't need to be about Arthur, and again, I'm trying to avoid Return of King Arthur stories.

I'm looking for around 6 stories, of around 5-10K each. Over- or under-length isn't a major problem.

I'm aiming for publication in December. That means proofing and cover will be taking place during September and October (with November free for emergencies), which means finished manuscripts to be with me by the end of August. As you can see, I'm leaving plenty of time in the schedule, but I'm well aware that this time can rapidly disappear.

Submissions:
It's probably best to send me a brief synopsis/outline first. I can comment, and say whether I think it (a) viable and (b) more appropriate for SLP or SFP. I've no objection to receiving a full manuscript at the start of the process, but submission doesn't automatically mean acceptance, and it could be a lot of effort expended for limited reward.

Drop me a line if you have an idea.

All submissions and queries to david.flin@outlook.com

My novella is out through sealion press as of today.
Yangon is the growing financial heart of the world’s newest great power, the Empire of Konbuang. Amidst its streets, all manner of crime can be found. Investigator Linn Thawda of the 56th police precinct has walked these streets for the last 20 years, and the city, for all its madness, is his home. In his long career watching the streets of the growing city, the Investigator has seen just about everything. But a morning encounter with a building fire reveals a crime that could strike at the very heart of the Empire, and the Empress that he has sworn to serve until death.
Give it a whirl if you all have a mind to. First thing I wrote.

Here is one work by Harry Turtledove that will either be a fun ride or be a headache to slightly through during the pandemic, titled "And the Last Trump Shall Sound":

From New York Times bestselling author, Harry Turtledove, critically-acclaimed novelist, James Morrow, and Nebula Award finalist, Cat Rambo, comes a masterful anthology of three sensational novellas depicting a dark fictional future of the United States.

And the Last Trump Shall Sound is a prophetic warning about where we, as a nation, may be headed. Mike Pence is President of the United States after years of divisive, dogmatic control by Donald Trump. The country is in turmoil as the Republicans have strengthened their stronghold on Congress, increasing their dominance. And with the support of the Supreme Court, more conservative than ever, State governments become more marginalized by the authoritarian rule of the Federal government.

There are those who cannot abide by what they view as a betrayal of the nation’s founding principles. Once united communities break down and the unthinkable suddenly becomes the only possible solution: the end of the Union.

The authors’ depiction of a country that is both unfamiliar and yet unnervingly all too realistic, make you realize the frightening possible consequences of our increased polarization—a dire warning to all of us of where we may be headed unless we can learn to come together again.

MaxGerke01

Banned
Here is one work by Harry Turtledove that will either be a fun ride or be a headache to slightly through during the pandemic, titled "And the Last Trump Shall Sound":

From New York Times bestselling author, Harry Turtledove, critically-acclaimed novelist, James Morrow, and Nebula Award finalist, Cat Rambo, comes a masterful anthology of three sensational novellas depicting a dark fictional future of the United States.

And the Last Trump Shall Sound is a prophetic warning about where we, as a nation, may be headed. Mike Pence is President of the United States after years of divisive, dogmatic control by Donald Trump. The country is in turmoil as the Republicans have strengthened their stronghold on Congress, increasing their dominance. And with the support of the Supreme Court, more conservative than ever, State governments become more marginalized by the authoritarian rule of the Federal government.

There are those who cannot abide by what they view as a betrayal of the nation’s founding principles. Once united communities break down and the unthinkable suddenly becomes the only possible solution: the end of the Union.

The authors’ depiction of a country that is both unfamiliar and yet unnervingly all too realistic, make you realize the frightening possible consequences of our increased polarization—a dire warning to all of us of where we may be headed unless we can learn to come together again.
I was beginning to wonder when the annual Turtledove was coming' Not a full novel but still most welcomed.

Last edited:
Well technically this is a future history but what is the other one ?

Well technically this is a future history but what is the other one ?
Maybe not exactly relevant, but he also wrote a short story about Trump losing the 2016 election to JFK's son who did not die in a plane crash.

Election Day (short story) - Wikipedia