Upcoming AH books

Lusitania

Donor
Just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed Down Mexico Way. Two questions, Drew. When will book 5 be out in print? Also the only other time I saw an AH site that had Texas as an independent country that streached from the Gulf to the Pacific was an old Sliders episode. Did you ever recall seeing it?
I remember seeing were lawyers fought duels. Texas stayed independent of the US this no America-Mexico war. Then during ACW Texas expanded westward to California.

Jasper Fforde has a new AH novel out: Guardian review/plug below.
Fans of Jasper Fforde’s unique blend of comic dystopia and quirky British cosiness will not be disappointed with his first novel in six years, Early Riser (Hodder & Stoughton, £20). The setting is an alternative-reality Wales beset by terrible winters that force the population to hibernate in vast Dormitoriums. Charlie Worthing, a likable lad but something of a ninny, has landed himself a job as a novice Winter Consul, working to ensure the safety of the sleepers, who are prey to dangers such as ice-hermits, nightwalkers and flesh-eating slime. Charlie finds himself in Sector Twelve, where dreams are going viral and killing sleepers, and sleepers who take the drug Morphenox run the risk of waking up as zombies. Early Riser is a zany send-up of all things British and an often hilarious account of Charlie’s stumbling, hare-brained attempts to work out the secret of the authoritarian HiberTech company.
Longer review here.

Last edited:
Be afraid, be very afraid!! Charlene Harris, the author behind the Twilight series has decided to enter the game of alternate history genre books, with her latest series of novels:

The books are described as:

"Set in a fractured United States, in the southwestern country now known as Texoma. A world where magic is acknowledged but mistrusted, especially by a young gunslinger named Lizbeth Rose. Battered by a run across the border to Mexico Lizbeth Rose takes a job offer from a pair of Russian wizards to be their local guide and gunnie. For the wizards, Gunnie Rose has already acquired a fearsome reputation and they’re at a desperate crossroad, even if they won’t admit it. They’re searching through the small border towns near Mexico, trying to locate a low-level magic practitioner, Oleg Karkarov. The wizards believe Oleg is a direct descendant of Grigori Rasputin, and that Oleg’s blood can save the young tsar’s life.

As the trio journey through an altered America, shattered into several countries by the assassination of Franklin Roosevelt and the Great Depression, they’re set on by enemies. It’s clear that a powerful force does not want them to succeed in their mission. Lizbeth Rose is a gunnie who has never failed a client, but her oath will test all of her skills and resolve to get them all out alive...."

814YnO2QqYL.jpg

"Set in a fractured United States, in the southwestern country now known as Texoma. A world where magic is acknowledged but mistrusted, especially by a young gunslinger named Lizbeth Rose..."
That hurts to read. I mean, if someone enjoys this, bless them for it, but I can't handle it.

I totally agree. As someone who has read hundreds of AH stories i will avoid any that feature magic at it's core. That is too much fantasy for my taste.

Thomas27

Banned
Cycle 2 of "Au Bord de l'Abime" is not yet ready, bu here are some news:
  • "Une forme d'histoire alternative... la pseudo-histoire" is now availalble for Kobo (epub format).

As a Reminder:
  • "Une forme d'histoire alternative... la pseudo-histoire" was already available as Kindle on Amazon.
  • Both book are avaialble worldwide but are in French

About Cycle 1 of "Au Bord de l'Abime":
41aqKDgAQXL.jpg

The Second World War is certainly the most significant event of the last hundred years. In Japan as in Germany, men will try to save their country from the destruction towards which their dictators seem to lead. Political shenanigans, coups and apocalyptic battles across Europe. This other World War II, will not be less bloody and lay the foundations of a New World. Welcome to "On the Edge of the Abyss". (Contains a hundred illustrations in black and white)

About "Une forme d'histoire alternative... la pseudo-histoire":
413hM4dAH5L.jpg

What if antiquity was only an invention? What if the Crucifixion was part of a plot fomented by Jesus? What if the Trojan War was actually unfolded in England, this kind of idea that seems relieved from alternate hisory are in reality pseudo-history, a work of historian who does not respect the historical methodology and often goes in fanciful interpretations. The pseudo-history is a little known genre in France and this book offers to dive into the heart of some of these crazy stories that would - for some of them - make very good thrillers.

Le Cycle 1 est maintenant disponible sur Kobo ainsi que « Une forme d'histoire alternative... la pseudo-histoire » :
https://www.kobo.com/fr/fr/ebook/au...uP809rUOzoqh0OvAM-g7pYOEGd0nPHt_Z3UFbYSAlGoLk
https://www.kobo.com/fr/fr/ebook/un...ZsctCK9qoIS78Uo64xac1BLlp6oWhgXRSf22ADZYUgFbY
Ce dernier est aussi maintenant disponible en version papier via Amazon en plus de la version Kindle : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/172899456X

Pour rappel, voici les résumés des livres :
Au Bord de l'Abime: Cycle 1
La Seconde Guerre mondiale est certainement l'événement le plus marquant des cent dernières années. Au Japon comme en Allemagne, des hommes vont tenter de sauver leur pays de la destruction vers laquelle semblent les mener leurs dictateurs. Manigances politiques, coups d’État et batailles apocalyptiques à travers l’Europe. Cette autre Seconde guerre mondiale, n’en sera pas moins sanglante et posera les bases d’un Nouveau Monde. Bienvenue dans « Au Bord de l’Abîme ». (Contient une centaine d'illustrations en noir et blanc)

Une forme d'histoire alternative... la pseudo-histoire
Et si l’Antiquité n’était qu’une invention ? Et si la Crucifixion faisait partie d’un complot fomenté par Jésus ? Et si la Guerre de Troie c’était en fait déroulé en Angleterre ?Ce genre d’idée qui semble relevée de l’uchronie relève en réalité de la pseudo-histoire, un travail d’historien qui ne respecte pas la méthodologie historique et verse souvent dans les interprétations fantaisistes.La pseudo-histoire est un genre assez peu connu en France et ce livre vous propose de plonger au cœur de quelques-unes de ces histoires folles qui feraient — pour certaines d’entre elles — de très bons thrillers.

Back in the early 70's, I read a newspaper article about a set of German plans found in the basement of a church in Poland. The documents contained detailed plans by the Nazi Luftwaffe to bomb American cities as far west as Indy. I always hoped that an AH writer would tackle this topic. I just finished reading "Impossible Target" by Mark Wade. The AH novel presents the use of Amerika bombers by Germany to wreak havok on the east coast. The author is a pilot and knows his stuff. A great read with plenty of action. If you are a fan of WW2 AH, you will love this novel.

I hope this is the right place to put this, my first alternative history novel "Prison of Peoples" is now available on Amazon!

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prison-Peo...-Book-ebook/dp/B07HKGYYWF/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

It's an alternative 1930s, a Central Powers victory timeline following the struggles of a diverse cast of characters, an exiled Russian Grand Duke, an Austro-Hungarian Veteran, a Bulgarian woman and a British bureaucrat, it's an intrigue heavy book with lots of character drama as the cast attempt to live their lives in a world similar but different to our own. The action focuses on plots unfolding in Austrian occupied Venice and scheming in defeated London surrounding King Edward and Wallis Simpson. There's some twists and turns before the book is done, with lots of emotional moments for the characters.

I hope some of you enjoy it, feedback is always appreciated!

Cover:

zPxkwyy.jpg

I hope this is the right place to put this, my first alternative history novel "Prison of Peoples" is now available on Amazon!

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prison-Peo...-Book-ebook/dp/B07HKGYYWF/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

It's an alternative 1930s, a Central Powers victory timeline following the struggles of a diverse cast of characters, an exiled Russian Grand Duke, an Austro-Hungarian Veteran, a Bulgarian woman and a British bureaucrat, it's an intrigue heavy book with lots of character drama as the cast attempt to live their lives in a world similar but different to our own. The action focuses on plots unfolding in Austrian occupied Venice and scheming in defeated London surrounding King Edward and Wallis Simpson. There's some twists and turns before the book is done, with lots of emotional moments for the characters.

Congrats!

Came across these on Uchronia.net
Turtledove, Harry. Through Darkest Europe
What if: Europe never exited the Drak Ages but remained a backwater continent rife with religious fanaticism.
Published: Not yet published; expected from Tor in September 2018 (0765379988BUY).

Oh wait, there's more:

From the modern master of alternate history and New York Times bestselling author Harry Turtledove, Through Darkest Europe envisions a world dominated by a prosperous and democratic Middle East--and under threat from the world's worst trouble spot

Senior investigator Khalid al-Zarzisi is a modern man, a product of the unsurpassed educational systems of North Africa and the Middle East. Liberal, tolerant, and above all rich, the countries and cultures of North Africa and the Middle East have dominated the globe for centuries, from the Far East to the young nations of the Sunset Lands.

But one region has festered for decades: Europe, whose despots and monarchs can barely contain the simmering anger of their people. From Ireland to Scandinavia, Italy to Spain, European fundemantalists have carried out assassinations, hijackings, and bombings on their own soil and elsewhere. Extremist fundamentalist leaders have begun calling for a "crusade," an obscure term from the mists of European history.

Now Khalid has been sent to Rome, ground zero of backwater discontent. He and his partner Dawud have been tasked with figuring out how to protect the tinpot Grand Duke, the impoverished Pope, and the overall status quo, before European instability starts overflowing into the First World.

Oh dear. Oh. Dear.

Cover:

zPxkwyy.jpg

Genuinely sounds interesting - that's gone on my short-list to review on my blog, let me tell you.

51TSALT+0EL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Famous People Who Never Lived by K.Chess

For readers of Station Eleven and Exit West, Famous Men Who Never Lived explores the effects of displacement on our identities, the communities that come together through circumstance, and the power of art to save us.

Wherever Hel looks, New York City is both reassuringly familiar and terribly wrong. As one of the thousands who fled the outbreak of nuclear war in an alternate United States―an alternate timeline―she finds herself living as a refugee in our own not-so-parallel New York. The slang and technology are foreign to her, the politics and art unrecognizable. While others, like her partner Vikram, attempt to assimilate, Hel refuses to reclaim her former career or create a new life. Instead, she obsessively rereads Vikram’s copy of The Pyronauts―a science fiction masterwork in her world that now only exists as a single flimsy paperback―and becomes determined to create a museum dedicated to preserving the remaining artifacts and memories of her vanished culture.

But the refugees are unwelcome and Hel’s efforts are met with either indifference or hostility. And when the only copy of The Pyronauts goes missing, Hel must decide how far she is willing to go to recover it and finally face her own anger, guilt, and grief over what she has truly lost.

As noted on the Verge, "Chess doesn’t fall into a trap of documenting every little difference. Instead, she doles out the changes little by little: cars there are sort of automated pods, nuclear power is prevalent, and a history that didn’t include the Nazi party meant that the swastika was really something that symbolized luck. That world’s scientists also began to develop a gate technology to allow people to travel to alternate worlds. Then, disaster strikes, and more than 156,000 refugees walk on a one-way trip into an unknown dimension: our own world. The novel picks up three years after that influx, as the newcomers are figuring out how to live in our reality.

Hel is one of those individuals — UDPs, or Universally Displaced Persons — who has been having trouble adjusting to her new life. Like her fellow travelers, she faces bigotry while trying to move forward through grief at the loss of her entire world. Some of her fellow UDPs have made the best of their new situation: an infectious diseases doctor named Carlos Oliveira (who, incidentally, is missing both of his hands and has had his forearms reworked into pincers in an illustrative example of the differences between the two worlds) has become known worldwide and is widely seen as a face of the UDP population. On the other hand, a UDP named Joslan Micallef brutally killed a woman and ignited plenty of anti-UDP sentiment in our world...."