Upcoming AH books

Got Mammoth Book of Alternate History in a fat paperback.Got A James Morrow story about WI Titanic's passengers got off the ship and survived?LOL!There is a Steven Baxter story at the end and a Ken MacCloud story called Sidewinders.THAT is pretty good.There is a Silverberg story called Tales from Venia Woods as well.Ordered this though Barnes and Noble.Check the content of this at uchronia.net.It is one of the main books shown on front page.:eek:BTW Zeppelin lovers like Eckener Fritz Leiber's Catch That Zeppelin is present.Interesting cover!

Any word on if Eric Flint's writing a sequel to the 1812/24 books?

I have heard nothing, but I am hoping for one as well. He seems to be one of the few AH writers who appreciates the butterfly effect and the general workings of chaos theory. As well as being a half way decent writer too. I remember reading in a foreword that he was spending a lot of time on the 1632 universe basically writing 3 series based on it or around it. I don't know if 1812/24 where a diversion or another attempt to spawn some fanfiction that he could then publish and make some money on... So who knows?

Got Mammoth Book of Alternate History in a fat paperback.Got A James Morrow story about WI Titanic's passengers got off the ship and survived?LOL!There is a Steven Baxter story at the end and a Ken MacCloud story called Sidewinders.THAT is pretty good.There is a Silverberg story called Tales from Venia Woods as well.Ordered this though Barnes and Noble.Check the content of this at uchronia.net.It is one of the main books shown on front page.:eek:BTW Zeppelin lovers like Eckener Fritz Leiber's Catch That Zeppelin is present.Interesting cover!

Hmm - a lot of the stories were already in the Benford "What Might Have Been" series - some 12 of them, in fact. And I've read 5 of the remaining: not that much original material. I think I'll wait till I can get a cheap used one.

Bruce

I have heard nothing, but I am hoping for one as well. He seems to be one of the few AH writers who appreciates the butterfly effect and the general workings of chaos theory. As well as being a half way decent writer too. I remember reading in a foreword that he was spending a lot of time on the 1632 universe basically writing 3 series based on it or around it. I don't know if 1812/24 where a diversion or another attempt to spawn some fanfiction that he could then publish and make some money on... So who knows?

Looking at Baen's schedule, there's 1635: Eastern Front scheduled for October. IIRC, that one deals with Poland, Saxony, Brandenburg, et al.

B.Munro-beg to differ with you a little bit.Several of the stories like the Titanic , Sidewinders , and possibly the Baxter story are new.Ive read only 9 of the stories and love the Leiber one.:)No offense, Bruce!BTW Amazon has new copies for slightly over 10 dollars.There may be cheaper used copies.

Last I knew, Eric's website had said that one of the series splintering off from 1632 had been canceled. It was the 1781 story with George Washington, Frederick the Great and their full armies ISOTed to Roman Empire times. I had been quite interested in that one. But if it was subjected to the same slipshod editing job that Time Spike got, it may not have been worth it.

In Exchange, random hunks of our world, sometimes city-sized get ISOTed into an alternate reality on a fairly regular basis. They stay in the alternate universe for a week or two, and then come back. We know where and when an Exchange is coming about three hours before it happens. In those three hours, authorities scramble to get as many people as possible out and supplies for the rest in.

As you can imagine, there are hundreds of complications involved in getting ready for an Exchange. Power lines are going to get cut, along with water, sewer, natural gas, cable, phone, etc. The Exchange may cut prisons, hospitals, houses, and highways in half.

To make matters worse: the alternate reality is empty of human level intelligence, but full of animals that are subtly "better" than ours--faster, smarter, quicker-breeding. One character refers to the alternate reality as "Ice Age North America on steroids".

It's a nice playground, and I worked hard to populate it with characters and a plot that do it justice.

I posted the first several chapters over in the writers' area:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/Discussion/showthread.php?t=146053

It's there for you to check out. The first taste is free.:D

Hey, I have humble suggestion ! Could we have this stickied and use it as an official "Upcoming AH titles" thread ? It would be far more elegant than starting a million separate threads on the same subject over the years, IMHO. :)

JSmith

Banned
Hey, I have humble suggestion ! Could we have this stickied and use it as an official "Upcoming AH titles" thread ? It would be far more elegant than starting a million separate threads on the same subject over the years, IMHO. :)

I'm all for it.

Dale-congratulations.I will take a closer gander at some of the things you put on this site elsewhere.BTW Enjoyed your site when it was up over at Uchronia.net.