Upcoming AH books

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by JSmith, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Dan Greenhouse Member

Sounds like steampunk fantasy rather than AH.

2. Mr_ Bondoc Member

Actually its a world wherein various portions of history have been ISOT'd to c.2213. The problem being that various states, eras, and creatures are thrown together in the "time-mixed" setting. You have Roman Legionnaires and Mongols dominating the steppes with Diatryma flightless birds.

RiverDelta likes this.
  3. Grey Wolf Writer, Poet, Publisher, Cat-sitter

4. Greg Grant Well-Known Member

The fifth issue just dropped, bringing the saga to a close (they called it a six-parter because they counted Issue Zero that was released on free comic book day). And I still liked and want to see more stories set in this universe. There were a lot more hits than misses and the story was well structured, the dialogue rang true and the art was complimentary. This was written by TNG fans, and you can tell. Highly recommended.

Pickledtezcat, Xenophonte and rob2001 like this.
  5. Damien Rahming Banned

Came across these on Uchronia.net

Stirling, S.M. Black Chamber
    Divergence: 1912 CE
    What if: Teddy Roosevelt was elected president in 1912 after the death of William Howard Taft.
    Summary: Adventures of a spy of the Black Chamber.
    Published: Not yet published; expected from Ace in July 2018 (0399586237BUY).

Turtledove, Harry. Through Darkest Europe
    What if: Europe never exited the Drak Ages but remained a backwater continent rife with religious fanaticism.
    Published: Not yet published; expected from Tor in September 2018 (0765379988BUY).

Xenophonte and Mac Gregor like this.
  6. Fenrir_Angerboda Guitar Dad Dads you

That sounds interesting.

Xenophonte and pieman97405 like this.
  7. theg*ddam*hoi2fan Beware of the Leopard

Under a bridge, handing out business cards
    Ogrebear likes this.
  8. mudhead Little-Known Member

And lesbians.

wcv215 likes this.
  9. theg*ddam*hoi2fan Beware of the Leopard

He does have that piece of Author Appeal, alright.

I mean, I'm someone who loves racial, gender and orientation diversity in fiction, and stuff I write will usually have diversity in those areas...but Stirling's isn't about diversity, it's horribly clear it's Author Appeal.

And this book will probably include people who'd make even your man Grey from those awful books go 'Woah! Too far!'

Greg Grant likes this.
  10. Worffan101 Ain't done nothing if I ain't been called a Red

Yaaaayyy, a dystopian anti-TR timeline?

With evil bondage lesbians and cannibal Ruskies, most likely?

I'll pass. Stevieboy can't write a good solo book to save his life anymore.

theg*ddam*hoi2fan likes this.
  11. theg*ddam*hoi2fan Beware of the Leopard

Now Worf, I'm surprised at you. You know that Mr Stirling doesn't have evil bondage lesbians in his books, his lesbian characters are tough, heroic types...

...he has evil bondage bi women, instead :mad:

Very true...

Weirdly, you know what one good book he wrote was? Terminator 2: Infiltrator. I disapprove of sequels to Terminator 2 usually, but this one actually made sense as it had the arm that 'Uncle Bob' lost in the factory be the reason there could be a sequel...

12. Xenophonte Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat.

Hi, I want to comment on a Novel by Gregory Benford, well known science fiction author and of this genre in particular. It's about his 'recent' novel 'The Berlin Project':

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30753656-the-berlin-project

The points of divergence, crucial, in this alternative history novel are the events at the beginning of the Manhattan Project, when H. Urey's group at Columbia couldn't obtain funds for the development of the centrifuges.
    Bases his hypothesis that when the US was developing the atomic bomb was taken a 'bad decision', which cost more than 500 million dollars (of 1940) and as argued Benford was decisive, having as main consequence delaying the end of the war 'around' a year
    According to the author, if the centrifugal separation had continued for another six months,without a doubt that their engineering problems could have been solved. The 'bad decision' was, in 1942, that of General Leslie Groves, who directed the Manhattan Project, when he decided to use gaseous diffusion.

Because it did not have the necessary semipermeable membranes and it would still take two more years - until 1944 - to be able to be developed.
    Based on the above...having made the 'correct decision' would allow to the USA to dispose of nuclear weapons a year before ready to be used against Nazi Germany, the enemy for which it motivated its development and against which first it was thought about using it.

According to the author, the events will lead, assuming, of course, that nuclear detonations could force German surrender... to an anticipated end of the war, saving millions of lives.

mudhead and Ogrebear like this.
  13. Dan Greenhouse Member

I also read the Berlin Project and look forward to watching the new movie about Moe Berg, The Catcher Was a Spy. which features many of the same people in the novel.

Xenophonte likes this.
  14. Nerdman3000 On the hunt for Great Caesar’s Ghost!

So just finished the recently released and last book in Michael Grant's excellent Alternate History trilogy, Purple Hearts, which is a sequel to his previous books in his trilogy, Frontlines and Silver Stars. The premise, if you are not unaware, is that through a unique outcome of a Supreme Court case made in early 1940, a year before the attack on Pearl Harbor, results in women getting eligible to drafted into the army under the same positions as men, meaning that following the outbreak of WW2, there are female GI's fighting in the war alongside men. While much of the story of the three novels focuses primarily on the perspectives and POV of the three female soldiers fighting in the war, there are still quite a few timeline changes which occur because of the POD, but most of them are quite subtle, with things such as women being often categorized in the same category as African American soldiers despite serving alongside men, and the implications in the last book that there will be a much larger and vastly different Women Rights Movement within the 50's and 60's.

Overall a quite excellent book and trilogy. Definitely all three rank among my favorite alternate history reads of the past few years and I would highly recommend giving all three books a read to anyone.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  15. Mr_ Bondoc Member

Here is one graphic novel that is coming out in July 2018, that should grab the attention of people, called Rome West (Dark Horse Comics):

From best-selling writers Brian Wood (Aliens: Defiance, The Massive, Briggs Land) and Justin Giampaoli (DMZ, Starship Down, The Mercy Killing) and artist Andrea Mutti (Rebels, Prometheus: Life and Death) comes an exploration of an alternative history of the Americas.

When a lost armada of Roman soldiers arrives a thousand years before Columbus, they don't seek to conquer and exterminate, but instead set up a cooperative society with the indigenous peoples that radically alters the timeline of the Americas… and the rest of the world.

Fans of history, alt-history, and politically-relevant stories will be fascinated at the depth of detail and classic 'what-if' narrative.

Originally published by Stela, Dark Horse is thrilled to bring this exciting new project to print for the first time.

See: https://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2648/brian-wood-and-justin-giampaoli-tell-alternative-h

Nerdman3000 and Ogrebear like this.
  16. Nerdman3000 On the hunt for Great Caesar’s Ghost!

So here's an interesting and recently released book, called One Nation, Under Jupiter. It basically based on the premise of Emperor Maxentius beating Constantine at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge, leading to Roman pantheon and religion remaining dominant, and Christianity never becoming a major religion. Most of the book takes place in the alternate modern world of 2766 AUC (equivalent to 2012 AD), and centers on Nova Roma (located on where half of the United States in OTL currently exists), and it's tensions with Imperial China.

Over all, it's a pretty interesting read. Here's a link to it's Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/Nation-Under-Jupiter-Anthony-Mahan-ebook/dp/B07BWCZ24B

terranova210486 and Ogrebear like this.
  17. Grey Wolf Writer, Poet, Publisher, Cat-sitter

Ogrebear likes this.
  18. Greg Grant Well-Known Member

This is now an ongoing mini-series called "Star Trek: The Next Generation: Through the Mirror." Two issues were released and they're good, though the artist has changed. The upshot is that there is a crossover between this Mirror Universe and OTL Trek Universe, I recommend it.

rob2001 likes this.
  19. Mr_ Bondoc Member

terranova210486 likes this.
  20. creighton The garbage will do

Xenophonte likes this.