Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

Putting these guerillas on trial would be a good way to earn some trust from the white southerners. And it would remove a rival armed force from amidst the official US Army and USCT forces left behind.

The Republican Party managed to accomplish alot for equity. Then Woodrow Wilson was elected and it all got washed down the toilet. Decades of progress destroyed in just a few years.
I maintain the belief that he is one of the worst presidents in history and that he should be grateful he is on the spot for “to be shot if we invent timetravel”

Shades of Josey Wales/Seraphim Falls, whoa. That actually was like the OTL Jones County uprising, unrestrained brutality that left the young boys/men back home either dead or scarred like that kid Andrew. Great side chapter, ty for it Red.

Putting these guerillas on trial would be a good way to earn some trust from the white southerners. And it would remove a rival armed force from amidst the official US Army and USCT forces left behind.
To rescue a post I wrote much earlier in the thread:
I hope at least a few Unionist guerrillas/war criminals are put on trial. The way this thing looks, it looks like a fair amount of Confederates will face at least life in prison.

A (blatant) double standard would generate a lot of bitterness, and it just wouldn't be fair for southern civilians who had nothing to do with this horrible war.

SuperZtar64

Banned
Personally, I actually consider Jackson to be an above-average president at the minimum. He's the guy that set the US on the path to being a true democracy.

He's also the guy who (reportedly, at least) responded to the first threat of secession with "John Calhoun, if South Carolina secedes from the Union, I will secede your head from your neck."

Kick
The Republican Party managed to accomplish alot for equity. Then Woodrow Wilson was elected and it all got washed down the toilet. Decades of progress destroyed in just a few years.
I maintain the belief that he is one of the worst presidents in history and that he should be grateful he is on the spot for “to be shot if we invent timetravel”

Like Trump, he ignored evidence of a horrible pandemic.

Like Trump, he ended up getting infected with that very disease, and it damaged his brain.

Like Nixon, he called himself a defender of freedom.

Like Nixon, he nastily cracked down on civil liberties, while calling his opponents freedom-hating traitors.

People online say something like this: "we don't kill Hitler. We send him to art school and kill Wilson."

Really, few people than him are worse. One of them is Andrew Jackson
At least Andrew Jackson expanded the right to vote
Not just the right to vote-before Jackson, the US government was very oligarchic. Jackson proved that someone with no familial or other connections could rise to power. But yeah, he was still a racist shithead.
Personally, I actually consider Jackson to be an above-average president at the minimum. He's the guy that set the US on the path to being a true democracy.

I think Jackson represented the best and the worst of American society.

He stood up against a cruel British solider, opposed corrupt elites, pushed economic policies that accelerated America's industrialization, expanded franchise, obliterated monopolies, And he was badass enough to beat his own assassin.

But yes, he was practically Ratko Mladic if you were a slave or a Native American. But tragically, that was the norm of American society at the time.

We should take him off the 20 dollar bill, but we need to look at him with nuance.

tikitiki

Banned
Did they? Did they really?

If the answer to this question is "yes, actually" and the proof is the comments of this thread, Im sorry but I only read the updates

Like Trump, he ended up getting infected with that very disease, and it damaged his brain.

Like Nixon, he nastily cracked down on civil liberties, while calling his opponents freedom-hating traitors.

People online say something like this: "we don't kill Hitler. We send him to art school and kill Wilson."

He stood up against a cruel British solider, opposed corrupt elites, pushed economic policies that accelerated America's industrialization, expanded franchise, obliterated monopolies, And he was badass enough to beat his own assassin.

But yes, he was practically Ratko Mladic if you were a slave or a Native American. But tragically, that was the norm of American society at the time.

We should take him off the 20 dollar bill, but we need to look at him with nuance.
Not to mention the Trail of Tears for the Native Americans. Good one, Jackson

Damn, that side story really captures the powerlessness of non-combatants in a warzone as well as the very murky nature of guerilla warfare, a lot of which I learned from my grandparents and their friends' experiences in my country's war of independence. I suspect that these guerillas would be romanticized by their respective sides (at least for the near future); the Unionist Jawhawks for staying true to the old flag and Confederate guerillas for defending their homelands against "Yankee" marauders. In truth and as shown here, plenty of guerilla bands were formed just to take advantage of the vacuum of power, acting like bandits and gangsters or fighting to merely settle old scores or finally dish out their frustrations against the old social order.

The great irony I see in this story is that Andrew actually shares some of the motivations the Unionist Jayhawkers had. Andrew is notably resentful against the rich big planters and is forced to hide his family's food supply from Confederate soldiers, their supposed protectors, which could have fueled resentment against the Confederate cause. However, the older men who Andrew looked up to were quite pro-Confederate and their sacrifices as well as news (real and false) about the Federal occupation of the South pretty much ended any Unionist sympathies. The ending, Andrew's descent to darkness, really illustrates how difficult reconciliation during Reconstruction will be. Like many Southerners by the war's end, he is bitter, vengeful and has absolutely nothing to lose.

In regards to other side stories, a look into the transition from the Union's conciliatory approach to hard-war policy and the enactment of Reconstruction measures would be an interesting look, especially from a Union soldier or Southern civilian's perspective. For example, there's the initial restraint by Northern soldiers to Southern civilians in hopes of preventing guerilla warfare, and then the defiance of Southerners leads Federal soldiers to resent them and the conciliatory policy. As the years progress, harsher and more heavy handed Union occupation policies were used such as expulsion, holding Southern sympathizers hostage and destructive retaliatory raids on enemy ground. There's also the interactions of liberated slaves and the Southern whites to consider especially as Reconstruction acts are passed.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

NO current politics outside of Chat.

You already have a Formal warning for this. You literally just came back from a kick two days ago for political BS in FH. Guess you found it restful.

Take another seven and really take the time to take stock.

If you can't keep from dragging current politics/politicians into anything related to anything vaguely related to politics it might be a good idea to simply follow those sorts of T/L without active participation.

Kicked for a week.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Did they? Did they really?

If the answer to this question is "yes, actually" and the proof is the comments of this thread, Im sorry but I only read the updates
The proof is in actual history. Wilson reinstated bans on African Americans working in even the the most ordinary Federal jobs including working at the Post Office.

Remarkably bigoted individual, especially when you consider the way he viewed thing internationally as illustrated in his 14 Points. Self determination across Europe, but a Black American couldn't sort packages at the Post Office

The proof is in actual history. Wilson reinstated bans on African Americans working in even the the most ordinary Federal jobs including working at the Post Office.

Remarkably bigoted individual, especially when you consider the way he viewed thing internationally as illustrated in his 14 Points. Self determination across Europe, but a Black American couldn't sort packages at the Post Office
Also, funny thing about the 14 points--every little European country had to be free, but the Vietnamese showed up with a declaration of independence modeled straight off of the US's own and Wilson laughed them out of the room.

Screw Wilson.

Also, funny thing about the 14 points--every little European country had to be free, but the Vietnamese showed up with a declaration of independence modeled straight off of the US's own and Wilson laughed them out of the room.

Screw Wilson.
Same with the Egyptians...

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

Screw Wilson.
Ya, on balance he was tried and found wanting.

Wilson is one of those people I keep meaning to read about - mostly to see the man behind the meme he's become on this website - but, like all readers... I have too many books to read.