University College Liverpool

Not really a proper timeline, just an idea I had while in town today - it's my first thread, don't be too harsh[/newbie]

Traditionally on the founding of an English University, the founding college is named the University College - this happens with the multi-college universities (Oxford, Cambridge, London) as well as the more 'modern' ones such as Liverpool (the university buildings still bear a tablet proclaiming them to belong to 'University College Liverpool', although it's the only college in the University as it exists today).

What if, instead of remaining as a single college after its founding, the university develops along Oxbridge lines, with many colleges spread out across the city under the 'umbrella' of Liverpool University? Will it become a renowned university town like the southern cities (although not particularly resembling them - it is, after all, a working port and major commerce centre)? How will this affect its status as a commercial centre, or its mostly working-class, immigrant and immigrant-descended populace? (Liverpool was, at the time, the second city of the Empire, in just about every respect - good and bad).

Will the city still be the centre of the Battle of the Atlantic, assuming that it happens in this timeline? How will it change the Beatles, if they happen at all? (In Liverpool, that is. They may well arise elsewhere) Will there still be the civil unrest and political intrigue of the 1980s? And, perhaps most importantly, will Liverpool FC still win five European Cups? :p

For the sake of argument, let's say the first 'additional' college, after the University College was established in 1882, was established in 1901 (POD), with two or three more following before the granting of the Charter and the forming of the University of Liverpool in 1907 (in OTL, the University College became UoL proper in 1903).

Thande

Donor
Welcome to the board, and random ideas are always welcome in discussion ;)

The trouble is that Liverpool was one of the wave of universities founded in the 19th century to be specifically and avowedly unlike Oxford and Cambridge. Oxbridge at that point was sleepy, obsessed with classics and divinity, and unwilling to spend money on any of the interesting new sciences and mathematics showing up in the 19th century. People who did want to teach and study those, therefore, went off to found their own universities, and Liverpool was one such. Given that, it doesn't make much sense for Liverpool to do anything that smacks of Oxbridge-ness.

How about Glasgow, founded in 1541 when Glasgow wasn't much of place. Then this big industrial city grows around it. You could have ended up with a Oxbridge type structure in a large industrial city.

Welcome to the board, and random ideas are always welcome in discussion ;)

The trouble is that Liverpool was one of the wave of universities founded in the 19th century to be specifically and avowedly unlike Oxford and Cambridge. Oxbridge at that point was sleepy, obsessed with classics and divinity, and unwilling to spend money on any of the interesting new sciences and mathematics showing up in the 19th century. People who did want to teach and study those, therefore, went off to found their own universities, and Liverpool was one such. Given that, it doesn't make much sense for Liverpool to do anything that smacks of Oxbridge-ness.

Hmm... good point. Darn, I can't do POD's...

Everyone says that at first :D

Anyway, we like more local things like this, it makes a change from giant epic changes.

Well, that's a comfort. Most of the things I come up with are locally-centred (at least at first) - it's that much easier to work with what you know, you know?

67th Tigers

Banned
I've been to Liverpool, LJM (it's a poly ;-), 3 of the major London colleges and worked at Oxford, and I think it's doable. At Imperial today we have constituent colleges (I'm in the Royal College of Science), but they're different to London.

Liverpool started out as a constituent college of Victoria University (the others being ISTR Manchester, Leeds, York and possibly Sheffield etc.?). Perhaps if Victoria had held together longer individual depts could start forming colleges in their own rights?