United Islam

JSmith

Banned
So if there was no schism in Islam between Sunni and Shia how would history have played out in the Middle East, Europe and the wider world?
I'm asking about the broad strokes of course but a detailed timeline always helps :)

The problem is that there are major cleavages in Islam at this time. A lot of Ali's support came because people were unhappy about the Umayyad Dynasty's policies. If Ali does not serve as a focal point, eventually someone else will.

In the first century of Islam, there are extreme fanatics wanting a very austere form of Islam who were unhappy aboutt he corruption of the Umayyads. There are lots of new converts, particularly non-Arabs, facing discrimination and unhappy about. There are multiple rebellions in the Hedjaz and Iraq.

I think it is very hard to eliminate all of that discontent. If Shi'ism doesn't serve the role as a conduit for that discontent, it will probably be replaced by another form of Islam. I can easily see the Kharajites becoming the second form of Islam. Or someone else will develop another strain of Islam very similar to Shi'ism except that it does not use the bloodline of Ali.

So you either have one or more new versions of Islam than what will become Sunnism, or someone will fashion a hybrid Islam to quell the various discontents (which I think will be harder).