Union of American Realms: A World-Building Exercise

Misc: Methods of Selection of Chief Executive by Realm
Aside from being divided into five distinct government structures, the realms also differ in how their chief executives are selected. The most common method is by a direct vote by the people, which is the selection method employed by 14 of the realms (almost all of these being Governates). 12 realms have hereditary chief executives, these being the four Grand Duchies and eight of the twelve Counties. 9 realms select their chief executive by way of their legislature, including the four native realms who select their 'High Chief' typically by way of their legislative bodies composed of lower-ranked chiefs. The least common form of selection is by way of an electoral college of some kind, and this method is employed by three realms.
ddvkcak-0eaf22ca-d7a5-4720-a3af-fec4626d5977.png

Last edited:
Cultural: Confederal Barreball Association (CBA)
The 36 teams of the Confederal Barrelball Association, one of the UAR's professional leagues. Barrelball is roughly TTL's version of OTL basketball. There was a previous entry concerning the CBA, specifically a post on the 2018-19 season, which is no longer accurate following this map.

The Confederal Barrelball Association is one of the premier professional sport leagues in the Union of American Realms and is the second most watched league by viewership numbers behind the Major League Townsball. The CBA is comprised of 36 teams divided equally into two conferences: the Northern Conference, which is further divided into the Central, Coastal and Western Divisions; and the Southern Conference, which is further divided into the Eastern, Interior, and Peninsular Divisions. Each division is composed of an equal amount of teams (6). The 36 teams of the CBA are spread out across 24 realms, 2 native confederacies and the Mount Vernon Royal District. 9 realms and 2 native confederacies lack teams in the CBA. East Florida (also known as Oriental Florida) holds the most teams of any realm at 3 teams: the Espiritu Santo Pirates, the Nuevo Leon Rockets and the San Agustin Sol. Teams compete in a 92 game season, with each team playing against intradivision teams four times, intraconference teams three times, and interconfertnce teams two time per season. The top eight teams from each conference make it onto the playoffs, with the winner of each division being awarded a top seed regardless of overall record. The playoffs are divided by conference such that eight teams from the Northern Conference compete against each other and vice-versa, with the respective conference champions facing each other in the CBA Finals. The playoffs involve best-of-five series in the first and second rounds, and best-of-seven series in the conference and overall finals. The CBA regular season runs from mid-September through mid-April, while the playoffs usually run from mid-April through early June, depending on length of series that year. The most recent CBA Champions are the York Towers who won back-to-back championships in 2017-18 and 2018-19. The 2018-19 league MVP was Blake Morton III of the Green Bay Bobcats and the 2018-19 Rookie of the Year was Luka Doncic of the New Haven Celtics. The CBA is currently in its 75th season (2019-20).
36teamsofthecba.png

Last edited:
Cultural: York Towers Team Bio (CBA)
yorktowers-png.494692

York Towers

The York Towers are an American professional mens barrelball team based in the city of York, Huron. The Towers compete in the Confederal Barrelball Association (CBA), as a member of the league's Northern Conference Central Division. Founded in 1946 in New York City, the Towers moved to York in 1954 and began playing at the Meyers Center until 2011, when the team moved to the newly constructed Augur Arena in downtown York.

The Towers won their first championship in 1956 in their second season in York led by Hall of Fame duo Tom Gold and Neil Johnson, but would not win another title for 19 years until their upset victory in 1975 being led by Jamaal Wilkes and Rick Barry. The Towers would struggle throughout the next forty years, making the playoffs just 11 times between their 1975 championship and the 2010 postseason. Despite this, the Towers have been one of the most successful teams in the CBA since 2010 following the teams change of ownership after being bought out by former CEO of Microtech Bob Lavitz.

In 2009, the York Towers selected Wardell Curry II with the seventh pick in the 2009 CBA Draft, a move considered by many to be questionable considering Curry's size and strength. In 2011, with Curry already starting to prove his potential to be an offensive machine, the Towers picked up Tristan Thompson with the sixth pick in the 2011 CBA Draft, before cementing their modern trio in the 2012 CBA Draft with the selection of Bradley Beal and the trade of then starter Monta Ellis. The young trio of Curry-Thompson-Beal showed tremendous upside in their first season together in 2013 by making the CBA Playoffs with rookie Beal scoring ~14 ppg, sophomore Thompson averaging 12 ppg and 10 rpg, while Curry would make a seismic leap in scoring averaging 23 ppg (his first season averaging more than 20 points) and winning the Most Improved Player award. Despite these progressions, the Towers were bounced in the First Round of the 2013 Playoffs as the Eighth Seed in the North. In the 2013 CBA Draft, the Towers had the New River Gators (that year's Champions led by LeBron James) 27th pick and ended up selecting frenchman Rudy Gobert, which is now considered one of the biggest robberies of the 2013 Draft. Gobert has since become the defensive anchor of the team.

The Towers have made the playoffs every year since 2013. Wardell Curry II and Bradley Beal have been considered the best guard combo in the NBA since the mid-2010s, while Rudy Gobert and Tristan Thompson combine for the most rebounds by any two teammates in the last three seasons. In 2015-16, the Towers shocked everyone when they finished first in Northern Conference behind 30.7 ppg from Curry, who won that season's Most Valuable Player award. The Towers made it to the CBA Finals, defeating the defending champion New River Gators. Led by Curry, the Towers have made the CBA Finals again in 2016-17, 2017-18, and 2018-19, winning two more championships in the process, making them the most successful team of the last half decade. Curry, Beal, and the Towers are credited with fundamentally changing the play of the game with a shift to shooting the three-pointer. The Towers 2018-19 season broke the CBA record for most wins in a season after the team finished with 78-14, this is also the league record for winning % in a single season (.848). During the regular season, Curry won his second MVP after averaging a career-high 31.2 ppg, while backcourt teammate Beal would average his career high at 25.7 ppg. Rudy Gobert won Defensive Player of the Year for 2018-19 as well.

Championships
2019​

Last edited:
Misc: St. John's Day/Midsommar

St. John's Day/Midsommar
Observed on June 20th and 21st
midsommarorstjohnsday.png

St. John's Day/Eve, also known as Midsommar ('s Eve) in some of the realms across the UAR, is an official confederal holiday observed in every realm in the confederation. The holiday is celebrated in two parts, with major celebrations happening during the evening of June 20th, and minor celebrations occurring during the day of June 21st. The holiday celebrates the Christian martyr St. John the Baptist, along with commemorating the summer solstice that occurs on June 21st. The day came to be observed across the confederation by various means before exploding in popularity at the turn of the 19th century and its official, confederation-wide declaration as an official holiday in the 20th century by King John Augustine II, the sixth Monarch-President of the Union.

The tradition was observed in the realm of Canada historically and was later made proponent across the confederation when the Church of Columbia made the celebration a kay part of its calendar. With the Church of Columbia's support, the holiday began active celebration across many parts of the Eastern seaboard in the 19th century, primarily on June 21st itself when families and congregations would get together for a large midday feast (Feast of St. John). The influence of Nordic migrants in the midwest towards the middle and latter portions of the 19th century also saw the rise of celebrations across that region, inspired more heavily by these Nordic immigrants and other Northern European customs. In the midwest, the celebration came to be largely known as Midsommar's Day and Midsommar's Eve, and a heightened emphasis here fell on large, community wide celebrations the evening prior to the summer solstice or thereabouts, with smaller, more intimate family gatherings occurring the following day (St. John's Day).

Overtime, the celebrations continued to grow in popularity and occurrence, becoming a staple of the culture of the confederation as a whole. While the confederal holiday is officially known as St. John's Day and Eve, the holiday is known as Midsommar locally in the midwest. King John Augustine II's proclamation declaring St. John's Day a confederal holiday officially set the evening of June 20th and the day of June 21st as the official dates of observance confederation wide, leading to the standardization of the dates throughout the realms. While modern celebrations differ somewhat realm by realm, universally a large, communal gathering tends to occur the night before the summer solstice, while smaller, family-oriented feasts occur the following day. Celebrations throughout the realm, including in the Eastern seaboard, were heavily influence by Nordic traditions. Large bonfires are common throughout the confederation, and in many places a wood effigy of a witch or multiple witches are burned in a central bonfire during the evening celebrations. Like in the Nordic Union, maypole dancing and mock weddings of adults and children are common the evening prior. Similarly, like in the Nordic Union, the tradition of girls picking seven flowers in silence and placing them under their pillow under the belief that they will dream of their future spouse is also common. Adult women also collect flowers as well and tend to make ornaments to be hung from doors, while leaving some outside in water which is then used to wash the face the following morning (a Spanish tradition that spread to many parts of the confederation by way of East Florida).

Typical feast items include turkey, pies, and other foods common in the early summer months across the confederation.

Oh this is an interesting one but sorry im late on this but what happened to the east indies (indonesia,malaysia,singapore,brunei and philipines) for indonesia do the mataram regained power? Since i saw java was split by three colours

Oh this is an interesting one but sorry im late on this but what happened to the east indies (indonesia,malaysia,singapore,brunei and philipines) for indonesia do the mataram regained power? Since i saw java was split by three colours

Thanks for the comment!

I'm not yet certain what modern Indonesia looks like in this world as I've been trying to work out the world history in chronological order by way of occasional WORLDA map updates. The most recent one is the one on page 11, which shows the world in 1872 - I take it this is the map you are looking at and drawing your questions from.

Like OTL, the Dutch East India Company has come to control much of Java. However, unlike OTL, Portugal was able to rebound its colonial efforts in the East Indies ITTL such that it secured control over Madura Island during TTL's version of First Javanese War of Succession, along with allying/controlling Banten. The Dutch control the rest of Java, including a semi-autonomous Mataram Kingdom that is a Dutch vassal. That's the state of Java as of 1872!

Thanks for the comment!

I'm not yet certain what modern Indonesia looks like in this world as I've been trying to work out the world history in chronological order by way of occasional WORLDA map updates. The most recent one is the one on page 11, which shows the world in 1872 - I take it this is the map you are looking at and drawing your questions from.

Like OTL, the Dutch East India Company has come to control much of Java. However, unlike OTL, Portugal was able to rebound its colonial efforts in the East Indies ITTL such that it secured control over Madura Island during TTL's version of First Javanese War of Succession, along with allying/controlling Banten. The Dutch control the rest of Java, including a semi-autonomous Mataram Kingdom that is a Dutch vassal. That's the state of Java as of 1872!
I think ittl making indonesia with the exception of aceh perhaps giving aceh the rest of sumatra and giving java and the rest of dutch controlled east indies to the mataram would be interesting since those two has a history of conflict with the acehnese wanting to create a more stronger islamic state (perhaps ittl they allied themself with the commie ottoman since the ottoman and the acehnese have a long history thus also making aceh a commie world) while the indonesian want a more secular and tolerant state (maybe giving indonesia or at the very least java to a higlhy reformed mataram who has a lot dutch influence in it) and oh about the republic of gran colorado why is some state has a different colour do they undergo a civil war? (1872 map)

Looking back at the world map, I have some questions. Is that a wanked Sikh empire in the northwestern corner of India (i'm mostly assuming based on color and location)?

I think ittl making indonesia with the exception of aceh perhaps giving aceh the rest of sumatra and giving java and the rest of dutch controlled east indies to the mataram would be interesting since those two has a history of conflict with the acehnese wanting to create a more stronger islamic state (perhaps ittl they allied themself with the commie ottoman since the ottoman and the acehnese have a long history thus also making aceh a commie world) while the indonesian want a more secular and tolerant state (maybe giving indonesia or at the very least java to a higlhy reformed mataram who has a lot dutch influence in it) and oh about the republic of gran colorado why is some state has a different colour do they undergo a civil war? (1872 map)

Those are interesting ideas! We’ll have to see how the world history continues to progress before I commit to anything too far ahead atm

The darker shades indicate areas that are still territories.

Looking back at the world map, I have some questions. Is that a wanked Sikh empire in the northwestern corner of India (i'm mostly assuming based on color and location)?

If you are referring to the most recent world map, that is TTL’s Mughal Empire as of 1872!

Last edited:
Those are interesting ideas! We’ll have to see how the world history continues to progress before I commit to anything too far ahead atm

The darker shades indicate areas rhat

If you are referring to the most recent world map, that is TTL’s Mughal Empire as of 1872!
Indicate what?

whoops! Meant to write “indicate areas that are still territories in 1872.”
Oh i thought yoy are going to say that the area undergo a civil war. do some people in the uar wanted to annex both gran colorado amd lousiana? (Manifest destiny and stuff)

Mughals? Very nice. More plausible to IMO. Is this some sort of Sepoy Rebellion analogue or something else? Is there a post about this that I missed?

Oh this is an interesting thread do america still undergo its civil war? And for the indies question i think puttinh mataram in control of java is a good idea (with mataram having a more western leaning policy and aceh having a commie leaning policy)

Oh i thought yoy are going to say that the area undergo a civil war. do some people in the uar wanted to annex both gran colorado amd lousiana? (Manifest destiny and stuff)

At one point in the 19th Century, particularly after the Louisianan War, the idea of expanding the UAR grew in popularity, but in the modern day most member-realms of the UAR are opposed to the idea. Neither Louisiana or Colorado want annexation either, both viewing the UAR as rather outdated and foreign. Colorado in particular is also a much more centralized nation than the UAR with considerable resources, strength, and population - the idea of it being annexed by the UAR would cause laughter to most Coloradans.

Because of the quasi-autonomy of each realm, a form of nationalism exists in nearly each somewhat akin to Texan nationalism IOTL. That means that in the individual realms you're more likely to find separatists than you would be to find expansionists.

Mughals? Very nice. More plausible to IMO. Is this some sort of Sepoy Rebellion analogue or something else? Is there a post about this that I missed?

Not so much a Sepoy Rebellion, rather just that Great Britain was blocked from achieving total authority over India and the heightened competition between European states in the subcontinent allowed the Mughals to play all sides enough that they never fell. I haven't written anything in depth on this, but in the worlda series throughout the thread you can see the general trajectory the subcontinent has taken since the rather ambiguous POD date in the 17th century.

Oh this is an interesting thread do america still undergo its civil war? And for the indies question i think puttinh mataram in control of java is a good idea (with mataram having a more western leaning policy and aceh having a commie leaning policy)

Because of the most autonomous nature of the UAR as opposed to the USA + the fact there'd be less slave realms as opposed to slave states in OTL, I'm not sure that a Civil War akin to our own erupts. Slavery does become a major and contentious issue in the mid-to-late 19th century, however, threatening to split the UAR. At some point in the late 19th century, the remaining slave states sign an "accord" to end slavery by the end of the century, but in most places this ended up being a farce, unfortunately. For this reason, many of the northern realms view the southern realms as backwards, tyrannical places.

Misc: Modern Map of East Florida
I have once again updated the East Florida map and I do think this will be the final version!

de0vnap-c1509349-d5cf-4f64-888e-bacb92261135.png

La Gobernación de la Florida Oriental, or the Governate of East Florida, is a semi-autonomous member of the Union of American Realms (UAR). East Florida is one of only three members of the UAR where a majority speak a language other than English[1], with most East Floridians speaking Florideño Spanish at home, though English is taught at all levels of education within the realm alongside Spanish. As a constituent realm within the UAR, East Florida is organized as a governate, where-in the chief executive is elected to a life long tenure and holds substantial authority[2] over the realms government. Chief executives in governates across the UAR typically carry the title of 'Lord-Governor of the Realm,' and this is true in part for East Florida. The East Florida Constitution recognizes the official title of its chief executive as 'Lord-Governor' when being addressed in English, but as 'Alto Gobernador(a)' if being addressed in Spanish; though the direct translation of the Spanish legal title would be High-Governor, this is not recognized by the realm's constitution. In addition, Florida is one of only two realms that selects its executive, in part, by way of an electoral college.[3]

East Florida's origins lay in the colonial era, when Spain colonized the peninsula. The area was home to a number of indigenous people at the time of Spanish exploration and colonization, though subjugation by the Europeans and disease devastated their numbers. Nonetheless, the region was not as populated initially as Spain's other holdings, such as those in the Caribbean, and indigenous groups were able to maintain their presence throughout the territory. Spain's official control over the territory lasted until 1702, when the signing of the Treaty of Valencia saw the region transferred to France.

Though the French adopted aggressive franconisation policies on the island of Haiti[4], also acquired in the treaty, it chose to leave Florida largely autonomous and incentivized the Spanish population of the area to stay. The area's Spanish population was bolstered during the French period as a result of La politique de francisation d'Haïti, the brutal and dramatic policy instated by colonial governor Jean-Paul Gerard Rochette[5] to remove nearly all Spanish from the island of Haiti. Florida was chosen as the destination of thousands of Spanish Dominicans forcibly relocated by the French colonial government in the first half fo the 18th century. The ordeal, known today as Flight of the Spanish Dominicans, has been officially recognized as an act of tribucide[6] by many modern nations, including the Union of American Realms, the Republic of Colombia[7], the Republic of Colorado[8], and even the Dominican Kingdom[9]. The events bolstered the Spanish population of East Florida significantly in the early 18th century.

East Florida eventually came under British domination in the 1760s following the Six Years War[10], but the British attempts to exert their authority over the colony was rejected by its Spanish-speaking residents. The British period was marked by instability and violence, and a revolt against British rule began a few years prior to the greater revolts that occurred across the British colonies a decade later. When Britain's other colonies revolted as well, East Florida's leaders joined them under the agreement that they'd seek to create a unified, autonomous confederation. This is how East Florida ended up joining the UAR, it's only Spanish-majority realm. Hostilities with the other realm's persisted, however, particularly with Georgia, and East Florida was the subject of considerable ire as an "outsider" realm within the Confederation. Throughout the 19th century, proposals to have East Florida removed from the confederation occasionally gained traction both from East Florida itself and from its neighbors - none came to fruition. East Florida lost about half of its territory in the early-19th century, albeit willingly, when it agreed to the creation of the Mayami Confederacy[11] in order to end the realm's hostilities with indigenous people in the area.

Though historically an agricultural society with a low population, East Florida experienced a population boom in the 20th century that has not ceased. It became a top destination for Spanish immigrants from war-torn parts of the Americas and from Spain throughout the 20th century and also attracted growing numbers of immigrants from other realms as it billed itself as the confederation's premier tourist destination. The confederations main movie industry is centered around Nuevo Léon, and its many beachside communities attract large numbers of immigrants and tourists yearly. Today, East Florida is the second most populous realm in the entire confederation, second only to New York, with a highly diversified economy.

[1] - The others are the Grand Duchy of Canada, where the overwhelming majority speak Canadian French at home, and the Commonwealth of Riviera, where a slight majority speak Rivieran French at home
[2] - The UAR is made up of 37 constituent member states, each led by an executive-for-life and organized in one of five particular government forms:
(a) - Governates: 13 of the 37 constituent realms of the UAR are organized as governates, like East Florida, making it the plurality form of government found across the UAR. Governates tend to have both strong executives and strong legislatures, though which is stronger varies.
(b) - Counties: 12 of the realms are organized as counties, a form of organization that originated in the New England region and spread to the Midwest by way of New Englanders who settled in the midwest. Counties tend to be somewhere between Governates and Grand Duchies - they typically (but not always) have hereditary executives who hold considerable power, alongside legislatures that include powerful, popularly elected bodies. Peers in counties typically have no legislative function, but do oversee considerable local authorities over their respective earldoms.
(c) - Grand Duchies: The most aristocratic of the realms, there are four Grand Duchies (Canada, Carolina, Maryland and Palmetto). They typically have strong executives and legislatives heavily influenced by their respective peerages. The Grand Duchies have historically been the most realmist of the realms, i.e., they've typically advocated for a less-centralist confederal system.
(d) - Commonwealths: 4 of the 37 realms are organized as commonwealths. Executives in Commonwealths are the weakest of all, with largely ceremonial roles within their realms. Legislatures tend to have most of the authority in these realms, or executive functions are placed in executive councils. Peerages are typically weak in the four commonwealths, though Virginia and Riviera's peers hold some semblance of power by way of their slight legislative authority. Executives are selected by either the legislature, the populace, or a mixture, in Commonwealths.
(e) - Native Confederacies: The 4 native confederacies are the most autonomous type of realm and were all created in attempts to settle disputes with varying indigenous groups across the confederation in the 19th century. The first was the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, and it is also the only one of the four to have existed prior to the UAR itself. Though they were intended to be native majority realms, many have opened up to non-native emigration.
[3] - The Governate of Michigan is the other realm that employs an electoral college in its selection of an executive.
[4] - In TTL, the island of Hispaniola was renamed Haïti by the French after they got control of it in its entirety in 1702; while the island is called Haiti, its people are known as Dominicans (dominicaines).
[5] - A figure endemic to TTL.
[6] - A TTL term for genocide.
[7] - Essentially a surviving Gran Colombia, which in OTL was known simply as Colombia, being referred as Gran Colombia only later to differentiate it from the modern state of Colombia.
[8] - A Spanish-speaking nation that dominates the OTL US southwest.
[9] - The nation that controls the island of Haiti in the present day of this TL.
[10] - A large war that occurred between varying European powers in the middle of the 18th century akin to the OTL Seven Years War.
[11] - A native confederacy spanning what is OTL South Florida, named for the historic Mayami people and the large lake located within the realm, Lake Mayami, which itself is known as Lake Okeechobee in OTL.

Last edited:
Misc: CVD-19 Cases by County & Earldom (Transylvania)
de23f1m-f84d9748-8d05-46c9-82c7-63958cf046c3.png

The Governate of Transylvania has been seeing a concerning spike as CVD-19 cases nearly doubled over the last month, going from 83,568 confirmed cases on June 26 to 166,711 as of July 26 (+99.49%). A lot of the increase has occurred in Transylvania's Boone County, where Daniel Morgan III has resisted calls for a mask mandate. Though the realm's executive, Lord-Governor Stephen Beshear, has enacted an indefinite stay-at-home order since April of this year, a phased reopening had begun late May. With cases surging again, however, the Lord-Governor has once again tightened restrictions. Bars, gyms, and recreational businesses and activities which require extremely close proximity and tend to amass more than 20 people at a single time have once again been forced to close entirely. Restaurants, which had begun letting customers back in at 50% capacity, must cut that back down to 25%.

The Lord-Governors biggest move, however, has been his issuance of a controversial mask mandate. Though wearing a mask has been consistently touted by the health and scientific community as the number one way to control the spread of the virus, the realm has yet to adopt a mandate requiring all to wear one. This isn't because the Lord-Governor has been opposed to the idea - he's been aggressively telling citizens to wear them for months. The issue is a provision in the Transylvania Constitution which prohibits the realm government from issuing decrees mandating citizens of the realm wear (or not wear) articles of clothing, instead granting that power to the county level and even then limiting such mandates to clothing that either: a) is outrageous or obscene; b) explicitly supports domestic terror; or c) can be expected to more likely than not lead to harm to another. Because only county level governments can issue any mandate concerning articles of clothing, Lord-Governor Beshear has hoped that Lord-Counts would do so on their own with significant prodding from the realm. As of July 15, less than half of the Lord-Counts had issued mask mandates within their boundaries, and some, most notably Daniel Morgan III of Boone, have openly voiced opposition to any such measure.

With cases growing at a fast pace and deaths starting to rise as well, the Lord-Governor issued Executive Order 20-0718 on Friday afternoon. Citing the Lord-Governor's constitutional authority to "take emergency measures when danger to public safety or likelihood of irreparable harm" is extremely high, the new executive order officially implements a mask mandate realmwide. Beshear's legal team is prepping an argument along the lines that the mask mandate does not violate the Transylvanian Constitution's provision against realm-wide clothing orders because the mandate is not meant in any way to control public expression, say, by banning shirts with alcohol or of the opposition. The Lord-Governor intends to argue that the provision's three listed exceptions which Lord-Counts can cite to in order to pass such mandates inherently show that what is being protected is the right to express beliefs, statements, support, etc., by way of clothings, and that a mask mandate does not hinder anyone's ability to express themselves through their clothing. The argument, however well intentioned, is unlikely to survive the court challenge to come, but until a realm court issues a restraining order on the new mandate it is legally enforceable.

There are other measures the Lord-Governor can take, such as banning travel out of heavily affected counties altogether, a move he has threatened to use against Boone County. Such a drastic measure, however, sours public opinion and the Lord-Governor has been hesitant on enflaming an already delicate situation. Daniel Morgan III appeared at a press conference the morning of Saturday, July 25, promising to demand court action as soon as Monday morning while going as far as calling Beshear a tyrant.

Last edited:
Misc: CVD-19 Infections in the UAR on August 1, 2020
de2bwvt-d7dbf690-c5c5-4457-b817-144bd6bf2454.png

The Union of American Realms (UAR) is a political and economic confederation of 37 member states that are located in North-Eastern North America. Its members, which are known within the UAR as realms (33) or native confederacies (4), cover a combined land area of 6,797,483 km2 and an estimated total population of about 278 million. All 37 members of the UAR recognize the Monarch-President of the Union as their respective sovereign, though the monarchy has no actual function within any of the member states of the confederation. The UAR members are governed by a unified system of laws regarding an internal single market; foreign policy; the movement of people, goods, services and capital within the confederation; inter-realm judicial and home affairs; and other policies on trade, agriculture, fisheries and regional development. That being said, each member state retains significant autonomy over matter within their borders outside of the basic policies which govern the confederation as a whole, and inter-realm policy is not wholly dictated by the confederal government.

As a result of the set up of the confederation, the handling of the CVD-19 pandemic has varied significantly depending on the particular member of the UAR in question. The UAR's confederal government is limited in its ability to set a unified approach to dealing with the pandemic and its involvement in this regard has mostly come in the form of authorizing emergency funds to individual members through legislation in the Confederal Assembly, along with the temporary suspension of certain parts of the Inter-Realm Travel Compact by the Executive Council. Queen Eleanor and the Royal Family have used their public platforms and private wealth to advocate for the containment of the virus within the confederation, but the monarchy's powers to act within any singular realm are largely non-existent.

The varied nature of the response to the pandemic, the large size of the confederation and the large but varying populations across member states, have made the UAR one of the most afflicted polities on the planet by the CVD-19 pandemic. As of August 1, 2020, the UAR's Confederal Centers for Disease Management & Oversight (CDMO) has reported a total of 3,230,118 confirmed cases of CVD-19 across all 37 member states, the second highest total of any nation. The most afflicted realm by total cases is the Governate of New York, which has had 479,534 confirmed cases of the virus as of August 1, 2020. The least afflicted realm by total cases is the Governate of Hudsonia, which has reported just 69 cases since the start of the pandemic, of which none remain active at this time. New York and Hudsonia represent the most and least populous realms in the confederation respectively, so their places at the top and bottom of total cases is somewhat expected. In terms of cases per capita (i.e., per 100k residents), the Commonwealth of Aegyptania (2,071 cases per 100k) and the Mayaimi Confederacy (2,070 cases per 100k) have been the hardest hit members of the UAR.

Regionally, the New England region has overall had the most success in controlling the spread of the virus with five of the eight realms in that region reporting less than 700 cases per 100k residents, with the region accounting for just 3.53% (114,090) of the confederations total cases despite being home to 8.43% of the UAR's population. And of New England's 114,090 cases, over 82% have been entirely within either Massachusetts Bay County (61,529 cases) and New Haven County (32,126 cases). The Lower Atlantic is the worst struck region in terms of case spread, with all three of the realms that comprise it (the Governate of Georgia and the Grand Duchies of Carolina and Palmetto) each reporting over 1,700 cases per 100k residents. But with New York's large case count, the Upper Atlantic remains the region with the most total cases at 776,017, roughly one in four of all confederation cases being in that region.

Total Cases by Confederal Census Region

- Upper Atlantic: 776,017 (24.03%)
- South West: 543,395 (16.82%)
- Lower Atlantic: 463, 998 (14.37%)
- The Floridas: 399,022 (12.35%)
- West Lakes: 258, 829 (8.01%)
- East Lakes: 227,476 (7.04%)
- Mid Atlantic: 198,900 (6.16%)
- Labrador: 198,182 (6.14%)
- New England: 114,090 (3.53%)
- First Peoples: 50,209 (1.55%)
- TOTAL: 3,320,118 (100%)

1. Governate of New York
    • 479,534 total cases
  2. Commonwealth of Riviera
    • 296,118 total cases
  3. Governate of East Florida
    • 243,913 total cases
  4. Grand Duchy of Carolina
    • 204,145 total cases
  5. Grand Duchy of Canada
    • 197,397 total cases
  6. Governate of Transylvania
    • 180,167 total cases
  7. Long Island County
    • 164,632 total cases
  8. Governate of Georgia
    • 158,265 total cases
  9. Governate of West Florida
    • 155,109 total cases
  10. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    • 131,851 total cases
  11. Chicagou County
    • 122,155 total cases
  12. Grand Duchy of Palmetto
    • 101,588 total cases
  13. Commonwealth of Virginia
    • 98,817 total cases
  14. Grand Duchy of Maryland
    • 86,677 total cases
  15. Commonwealth of Aegyptania
    • 67,110 total cases
  16. Governate of Michigan
    • 64,287 total cases
  17. Massachusetts Bay County
    • 61,529 total cases
  18. Governate of the Twin Rivers
    • 61,392 total cases
  19. Governate of Erie
    • 57,465 total cases
  20. Governate of Ohio
    • 54,016 total cases
  21. Huron County
    • 51,708 total cases
  22. Governate of Manitoba
    • 40,144 total cases
  23. Governate of Wisconsin
    • 32,421 total cases
  24. New Haven County
    • 32,126 total cases
  25. Mayaimi Confederacy
    • 27,423 total cases*
  26. Delmar County
    • 13,406 total cases
  27. Northwest Confederacy
    • 9,204 total cases
  28. Muscogean Confederacy
    • 7,773 total cases
  29. Saybrook County
    • 7,412 total cases
  30. Haudenosaunee Confederation
    • 5,809 total cases
  31. New Hampshire County
    • 5,654 total cases
  32. New Brunswick County
    • 5,470 total cases
  33. Superior County
    • 2,717 total cases
  34. New Scotland County
    • 994 total cases
  35. Governate of Vermont
    • 905 total cases
  36. Newfoundland County
    • 716 total cases
  37. Governate of Hudsonia
    • 69 total cases
* Nearly 80% of confirmed cases in the Mayaimi Confederacy are related to outbreaks in New River City (14,771) and Tequesta (7,088).
  1. Commonwealth of Aegyptania
    • 2,721 cases per 100k
  2. Mayami Confederacy
    • 2,720 cases per 100k
  3. Grand Duchy of Canada
    • 2,202 cases per 100k
  4. Governate of West Florida
    • 2,023 cases per 100k
  5. Governate of New York
    • 1,915 cases per 100k
  6. Long Island County
    • 1,908 cases per 100k
  7. Grand Duchy of Palmetto
    • 1,787 cases per 100k
  8. Governate of Georgia
    • 1,773 cases per 100k
  9. Grand Duchy of Carolina
    • 1,721 cases per 100k
  10. Commonwealth of Riviera
    • 1,611 cases per 100k
  11. Governate of Transylvania
    • 1,337 cases per 100k
  12. Grand Duchy of Maryland
    • 1,305 cases per 100k
  13. Governate of East Florida
    • 1,273 cases per 100k
  14. Chicagou County
    • 961 cases per 100k
  15. Delmar County
    • 914 cases per 100k
  16. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    • 802 cases per 100k
  17. Massachusetts Bay County
    • 802 cases per 100k
  18. Governate of the Twin Rivers
    • 758 cases per 100k
  19. Commonwealth of Virginia
    • 745 cases per 100k
  20. New Haven County
    • 719 cases per 100k
  21. Governate of Erie
    • 685 cases per 100k
  22. Governate of Manitoba
    • 679 cases per 100k
  23. Governate of Michigan
    • 601 cases per 100k
  24. Northwest Confederacy
    • 570 cases per 100k
  25. Governate of Ohio
    • 517 cases per 100k
  26. Governate of Wisconsin
    • 506 cases per 100k
  27. Haudenosaunee Confederacy
    • 414 cases per 100k
  28. Huron County
    • 361 cases per 100k
  29. Muscogean Confederacy
    • 350 cases per 100k
  30. Saybrook County
    • 291 cases per 100k
  31. New Hampshire County
    • 198 cases per 100k
  32. Superior County
    • 194 cases per 100k
  33. New Brunswick County
    • 168 cases per 100k
  34. Newfoundland County
    • 105 cases per 100k
  35. Governate of Vermont
    • 80 cases per 100k
  36. New Scotland County
    • 70 cases per 100k
  37. Governate of Hudsonia
    • 14 cases per 100k

Last edited:
Misc: Municipal Divisions of East Florida
Municipal Divisions of the Governate of East Florida

efmunicipaldistricts.png

The government of the Governate of East Florida (Spanish: La Gobernación de la Florida Oriental) is divided into three-tiers: the realm-wide government; the provincial governments; and the local governments. The realm-wide government represents the highest tier of authority in East Florida and is led by the Lord-Governor of the realm with jurisdiction over the entirety of the realm's territory. In addition, the Capital District of San Agustín (coterminous with San Agustín, the city) is also part of the realm-wide government. The realm judiciary, executive and legislative branches are all located within the Capital District (C.D.). The next level of government found in East Florida are the twelve provinces: Bahía del Espíritu Santo; Costa Bella; Costa de Palmas; Gran Léon; Los Lagos; Naranja; Narvaez; Pascua; San Juan Exterior; San Juan Interior; Santa Fe; and Santa Isabela. East Florida's provinces are equivalent to first-level subdivisions found in other governates within the confederation, like the counties of Transylvania. Each province is led by a Provincial-Governor who maintains nominal authority within the boundaries of the province from a designated provincial capital. The provincial governments also over see the provincial judiciary systems and maintain Provincial Assemblies of varying sizes which work with the Provincial-Governors. The provisional governments have the most authority in the capital cities and across the non-incorporated regions of their respective provinces, deemed Provincially Managed Zones (PMZs) - PMZs lack local governments. The third tier of governance in East Florida are the local governments that represent the varying levels of incorporated municipalities found within the realm.

There are three forms of incorporated local governance found across East Florida, which are the Provincial Capitals, Cities (principal and secondary), Towns (principal or secondary), and Incorporated Villages. In addition, there are a number of areas designated as Unincorporated Units, which lack incorporation but which remain outside of the direct domain of the provincial governments. The twelve Provincial Capitals (PCs) are home to the respective provincial governments, while also hosting their own government structure - in addition to hosting the Provincial-Governor and Provincial Assembly, each PC also elects an Executive Management Council (EMC) to oversee the affairs of the city itself. The EMC shares its authority over the PCs with the provincial government and the PCs, like the Incorporated Villages, lack mayors. The other levels of incorporation depend largely on population, history, and overall governance structure. A municipality is recognized as a city in East Florida if its population exceeds 75,000 individuals, with cities with populations greater than 120,000 considered principal cities and those with less considered secondary cities. Cities (Spanish: Ciudades), both principal and secondary, have the most autonomy from the provisional governments, each led by a mayor and a representative assembly. The autonomy of cities, especially principal cities, from their provisional governments varies but is typically high and most only become subject to provisional authority under emergency situations. Towns (Spanish: Pueblos), like cities are separated into primary and secondary-levels based on population. A community is recognized as a town if it has a population of at least 10,000, with East Florida designating primary towns as those with populations greater than 40,000. Towns are also led by mayors, but do not have robust "assemblies" like the cities - instead, they have smaller, municipal councils, none larger than 12 members. Like cities, towns are also relatively autonomous from direct action from the provincial governments in most cases. Villages (Spanish: Aldeas) are the least autonomous form of incorporation found in East Florida, and are typically low in population (but not strictly held to precise population numbers). Unlike cities and towns, villages lack mayors, however they do have municipal councils. Most villages are subordinate in some respect to a neighboring town, city, or the provincial government itself. Most villages have small populations, particularly those disconnected from a higher-tiered municipal division, however villages within or connected to towns or cities may have populations exceeding 10,000. In these instances, the usual reason said village exists is due to a successful plea for incorporation by distinct, homogenous neighborhoods of a larger municipality (see Village of Mariposa, which separated from the city of Nuevo Léon in the mid-20th century).

Unincorporated Units (UUs) are the newest recognized municipal division within the realm. These are areas that are not directly run by the provincial government, but lack a centralized local government structure. They have no mayors, and though most have local associations that may resemble municipal councils, they lack actual municipal councils with jurisdictional authority. UUs, however, can form their own policing and fire/disaster response services, and can make an array of decisions by popular mandates - these are typically organized by the aforementioned local associations that form in UUs. As previously mentioned, any territory within a province that is neither incorporated nor recognized as a UU, is organized as a PMZ directly managed by the provincial governments. The vast majority of East Florida's territory falls within a PMZ.

There are 223 incorporated municipalities in East Florida - San Agustín (city); the 12 provincial capitals; 42 cities (13 primary/29 secondary); 111 towns (61 primary/50 secondary) and 57 villages. In addition, there are 55 recognized unincorporated units.