Union of American Realms: A World-Building Exercise

Realm Politics: GA lordship election of 1909
ga1909lordship.png

The Executor Party would run a ruthless and violent campaign in 1909 to regain control of the Lord-Governor's office. Due to extreme voter suppression and mass hysteria sparked by the Executor Party, the Yeoman Party lost dozens of counties Lord-Governor William I carried in 1889. The murder of hundreds of afrogeorgians occurred as racial violence by Executor militias sought to undermine the suffrage gains granted to them under William I's reign. The election of William Brantley (stylized Lord-Governor William II) would lead to the near universal reversal of civil rights gains made under William I, along with a reversion to near total control of the realm by the Old Elite. A member of the Executor Party would hold the lordship following this election until Lord-Governor Harold's abdication and the subsequent election of Lord-Governor James in 1971.​

@erictom333 I have updated the major highways/roads in the Espiritu Santo Bay Area (and other areas), let me know what you think!

Also, I want to flesh out some more of the realms and get back to more realm focused updates for the time being. Is there any realm people are interested in atm?

Regarding the Patagonia map (New Albion), my Inkscape crashed and the work I had done on mapping the Patagonian coast went out the window. I'll get it redone eventually, but for the time being I am moving on.
West Florida and Mayaimi, as they are the two other realms I'm taking to my Mosaic Earth.

West Florida and Mayaimi, as they are the two other realms I'm taking to my Mosaic Earth.

Both of these are very unique places that I've been itching to flesh out! I may start with WF because it'd probably be easier, but either way expect something on either or both by the end of the weekend!

Misc: Map of the Mayaimi Confederacy
The Mayaimi Confederacy
ddtkcmk-e49d180f-dd44-4ac6-a0e8-c3ee1149f41b.png

More than half of the Mayaimi Confederacy's population lives in the New River Metropolitan area, and the non-native population of the Confederacy accounts for more than half of its modern population, making it a minority-native Confederacy. Non-native settlement outside of the New River Metropolitan area is strictly limited and regulated by the Mayaimi Confederacy's Constitution and Government.

Last edited:
The Mayaimi Confederacy

More than half of the Mayaimi Confederacy's population lives in the New River Metropolitan area, and the non-native population of the Confederacy accounts for more than half of its modern population, making it a minority-native Confederacy. Non-native settlement outside of the New River Metropolitan area is strictly limited and regulated by the Mayaimi Confederacy's Constitution and Government.
How many people live in Mayaimi City?

Realm Politics: EF general election of 2017
The 2017 East Florida General Election was the first to occur under the reign of Lord-GovernorJuan Carlos. The Liberal-Centralist Party gained 7 seats in the elections, bolstering it's plurality in the legislature. The Green Party gained 3 seats bringing it to a total of 9 seats in the General Assembly, a record high for that Party. The Lord-Governors' Liberal-Centralist Party remained in power following the election, maintaining it's 2014 coalition with the Green Party and the Christian Democrat Party. This election continued the slide of the Farmer-Labor Party, who lost 5 seats bringing it to just 26. The Farmer-Labor Party used to dominate East Florida politics, but it has failed to gain traction in the 21st Century as the Green Party and the Liberator Party continue to take support to its left, while the Gran Florida Party continues to take support from the right.

ef2017leg.png

Speaker of the Great Assembly: Luis Omar Oteño (LCP/GP/CDP Coalition)
  • Liberal-Centralist Party: 41 seats
  • Green Party: 9 seats
  • Christian Democrat Party: 7 seats
Opposition:
  • Farmer-Labor Party: 26 seats
  • Gran Florida Party: 14 seats
  • Liberator Party: 3 seats
The next general election will be held in the fall of 2020.

(This is a remake of an old post.)

Realm History: List of Lord-Governors of East Florida
List of Lord-Governors of East Florida (Florida Oriental)
As a governate, East Florida elects its executive-for-life after the death of whoever holds the lordship.

1. Juan I (Palacios y Valenzuela) | RP: Independent | CA: Realmists | T: 1802-1811 (9) | L: 1749-1826 (62) [1]
  2. Juan José (de Estrada) | RP: Floridian Party | CA: Realmists | T: 1812-1833 (21) | L: 1766-1833 (67) [2]
  3. Juan II (Jacobs) | RP: Unionist Party | CA: Centralists | T: 1833-1835 (2) | L: 1781-1835 (53) [3]
  4. Pedro I (Palacios y Valenzuela) | RP: Floridian Party | CA: Realmists/later also Royalist | T: 1836-1867 (31) | L: 1801-1867 (66) [4]
  5. Juan III (Quesada) | RP: Agrarian Peoples Party | CA: Realmists/later Agrarian Confederal Coalition | T: 1867-1892 (25) | L: 1825-1892 (67) [5]
  6. Pedro II (Santana) | RP: Agrarian Peoples Part/later Farmer-Labor Party | CA: United Workers Front | T: 1893-1939 (46) | L: 1858-1939 (80) [6]
  7. Felipe (González) | RP: Holy Democratic Party | CA: Pan-Realm Confederalist Movement | T: 1939-1952 (12) | L: 1879-1952 (73) [7]
  8. José Luis (Santana) | RP: Farmer-Labor Party | CA: United Workers Front | T: 1952-1967 (15) | L: 1885-1967 (81)
  9. Augusto (Orellana) | RP: Farmer-Labor Party | CA: United Workers Front | T: 1967-1988 (11) | L: 1927-1988 (61)
  10. Ricardo (Tapanes) | RP: Farmer-Labor Party | CA: United Workers Front | T: 1988-2014 (26) | L: 1930-2014 (84) [8]
  11. Juan Carlos (Alvarado)| RP: Liberal-Centralist Party| CA: Liberal Alliance for Prosperity | T: Incumbent (6) | L: 1967 (53) [9]
[1] Juan I oversaw the Spanish Rebellion (1774) against British rule over East Florida and then merged his movement into the greater American Revolution with promises of autonomy and a distaste for rejoining Spain [East Florida hadn't been under Spain's control since the Treaty of Valencia in 1702, despite maintaining a large Spanish population under French rule (1702-1754)]. Juan led the way during the negotiating period with the confederal government and was emphatically selected as the first Lord-Governor when East Florida was admitted into the confederation in 1802. He died midway during the War of Georgian Aggression (known as the Expansion War in Georgia), but his efforts ensured a successful outcome for the realm.

[2] Juan José gained power in the latter half of the War of Georgian Aggression amidst a wave of realmist support in East Florida. This dispute that crafted his party and his campaign was over less than a year later, however, and Juan José would go on to rule largely peacefully until the Greater Native War (known confederation wide as the Floridian First Peoples War) which would ultimately end with the establishment of the Mayaimi Confederacy and the near-forcible removal of natives in East Florida south. In modern times, Juan José has come under considerable scrutiny for his treatment of First Peoples in East Florida, with many dubbing the Greater Native War as a form of coeticide.

[3] Juan II is the only entirely non-Spanish lord-governor in East Florida's history, having been elected after the controversial 1833 election. His reign was tumultuous, and despite historians believing his victory was legitimate, public support for Juan II diminished rapidly. The Floridian Revolt of 1834-35 resulted in Juan II being captured and hung on claims of aiming to have the Spanish population (vast majority) forcibly removed. Juan II is the only East Floridian lord-governor to be assassinated and his death caused considerable outcry across the Union of American Realms and soured the view of East Florida amongst many other members of the confederation. Juan II holds the record for shortest tenure lord-governor.

[4] The first person elected to the office to have been related to a prior lord-governor. Pedro I's election was nearly as controversial as Juan II's, however the realm largely coalesced under his rule. Despite being ardently on the realmist side of Executive Council members and being a member of East Florida's realmist Floridian Party, Pedro I spent the vast majority of his tenure rebuilding relations with the rest of the confederation. In the early years, this meant being royalist, which allowed East Florida to make a number of friends. When the anti-royalist movement peaked in the mid 19th century due to John Augustine I's reign, this royalist attitude helped him remain loyal back home to his Floridian Party roots, as the anti-royalist movement took a turn for centralism.

[5] Juan III's was the first victory by someone not born a member of the East Florida elite. Under his tenure, slavery was abolished in East Florida, and a strong coalition of agrarian, poor, mestizo and afrofloridian factions emerged. Quasadianism has significantly shaped East Floridian political discourse and was adopted and then adapted by his successor. Juan III's victory and tenure completely changed East Florida politics, and ushered in an era of left-wing populism that has governed the realm for 135 of the last 151 years.

[6] Pedro II is the most famous East Floridian lord-governor confederation wide without question, having been elected Governor-President of the Union twice. He is the only Governor-President in confederation history to have been re-called, and he was the first Governor-President to regain the title after having lost it. Pedro II holds the record for longest tenure as lord-governor in East Florida at 46 years. Hand in hand, he holds the record for youngest person elected lord-governor in realm history, having been just 35 at the time he assumed the position. Pedro was also the first lord-governor of the Farmer-Labor Party, orchestrating the Agrarian Peoples Party's merger with the growing Workingmans Party in 1911. Adapting his predecessors leftist, populist ideology, Pedro developed his own ideology known as Santanismo, which blended attitudes of realmism with confederationalism, and left-wing populism. To date, he is the only Governor-President in confederation history to have learned a language other than English first.

[7] Felipe is the only lord-governor elected from the Holy Democratic Party (which later became the modern Christian Democratic Party) and his tenure saw consistent conflict between himself and the East Florida legislature, which was staunchly Farmer-Labor throughout most of his time in power.

[8] Ricardo Tapanes is the oldest person to hold the office of lord-governor in East Florida, passing away at the age of 84. His tenure in office is the second-longest behind Pedro II's and marked 62 consecutive years of Farmer-Labor control of the East Florida executive office. The population growth that has occurred in East Florida throughout the 20th century peaked during his tenure as a result of his moderate migration policies and support for immigration into the realm, and stark contrast from his predecessors. This would ultimately hurt his party, however, as the Farmer-Labor Party began losing popularity as the 21st century rolled around.

[9] Juan Carlos became the first non-Farmer-Labor member to be elected to the office since Lord-Governor Felipe, and the first Liberal-Centralist elected in that party's history. Juan Carlos's victory came alongside an astonishing first place showing by his party in the concurrent 2014 East Florida general election and the crafting of a coalition that removed the Farmer-Labor Party from control of the realm's legislature. Juan Carlos's tenure has so far been popular, and his coalition made gains in the 2017 East Florida general election.

Last edited:
Realm Politics: EF general election of 2014
The 2015 East Florida General Election occurred concurrent to that year's lordship election, giving it heightened importance and increasing turnout. Like the lordship election, the results were fairly close, with Farmer-Labor winning a plurality of seats, but losing five seats overall. The Liberal-Centralist Party, buoyed by their lordship nominee at the top of the ticket, reached 34 seats and just one short of the plurality. Following the declaration of Juan Carlos's victory in the lordship election, the LCP announced a coalition with the Green Party and the Christian Democrat Party that usurped Farmer-Labor. Just the third time the LCP would lead the legislature, the 2015 elections also marked the first time the LCP would come to lead both the legislative and executive branches of the realm's government and is considered a pivotal moment in East Florida political history. Luis Omar Oteño was selected to serve as Speaker.
efleg2015.png

Speaker of the Great Assembly: Luis Omar Oteño (LCP/GP/CDP Coalition)
  • Liberal-Centralist Party: 34 seats
  • Green Party: 6 seats
  • Christian Democrat Party: 11 seats
Opposition:
  • Farmer-Labor Party: 35 seats
  • Gran Florida Party: 11 seats
  • Liberator Party: 3 seats
The next general election was held in the late summer of 2017.

World History: 1872 World Map and Summary
The Revolutions of 1846 radically changed Europe in terms of spreading revolutionary fervor and setting the stage for things that would occur decades later. Two of the most drastic events that the 1846 revolutionary movements set in motion would be the: creation of the Republic of Iberian Peoples (Republican Spain) in 1853, the reorganization of Austria into the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867), the unification of northern Italy into the Kingdom of Italy (1865), and the Nordic unification, which occurred in 1872 following the Finnish War that saw the overthrowing of the Swedish monarchy. The map below shows the world as of 1872, the year of Nordic unification. You'll notice the Luso Revolts in Colorado and the UAR, where French-speakers in both nations rose up semi-organized rebellion in hopes of rejoining Louisiana. By 1872, every modern realm had been admitted to the UAR except for Hudsonia.
1872.png

Realm Politics: EF lordship election of 1988
Okay this will probably be my last post for East Florida for a while, as I feel like I have been focusing a bit much on it!

ddu7is2-b1ea13e7-b32a-42fc-baf0-e607b434aee0.png

Last edited:
Personally I'd love to learn more about what was going on in the world prior to the American Revolution. Such as how Florida was given to France and how Denmark ended up in Canada. Stuff like that. Just my personal preference.

I am going to rework the Confederal Assembly map based on the updated population figures for the various realms.

Confederal Politics: Districts of the Confederal Assembly (2021-31)
And here is the updated Confederal Assembly district map - many realms had the same amount of districts after I revised the population numbers, but many others changed. As an example, New York lost four districts, Mayaimi gained 1, etc.

ddj6mja-ffc4845e-4d30-4f66-87d2-05af1d754c25.png

Last edited:
I am curious, how do you decided on number of votes for parties in election and the population of each realm?

Population figures are determined based on a mixture of OTL figures, TTL specific reasoning and my own discretion! Some places have more people than OTL, some have less. In general, I have gone for most realms having similar to slight-higher population figures as a result to an OTL Canada-esque view on immigration, but this is not true for all the realms, especially the realms with confederalist/realmist (read: state rights meets quasi-nationalist/anti-immigrant) governments.

In terms of parties and votes, first let me explain the assembly itself. It is divided into 500 seats, with each district being made up of around 500-550K residents. The Native Confederacies are guaranteed three districts at a minimum, and are capped at ten districts at a maximum. Voting occurs at the realm level, although is not entirely uniform. Most states follow FPTP rules for their districts, though some allow for other forms of assemblyman selection. Assembly members are elected for six year terms, but are divided into two classes meaning that elections happen every three years.

There are no actual parties at the confederal level except maybe Democracy Now!. Instead, each realm boasts semi-unique party systems, owing to the greater autonomy of the realms as opposed to OTL states. Instead, there are broad political coalitions at the confederal level that act as political agents. There is a now outdated map of the various assembly alliances and which controls the legislature at the moment on page 8, but that needs to be updated. To determine which alliance controls the legislature I have been using discretion and a general political history/timeline in my head. In the present, I have been running on the LAP (Liberal Alliance for Prosperity) being the plurality and leader at the confederal level, with like-minded parties controlling a number of realm governments. The LAP largely tends the center on many issues, but is pro-trade, moderate to liberal on social issues, supports cooperation and international engagement, and is generally liberal as we'd understand it in OTL.

I'll either post the 2022-25 Assembly or do a little election series detailing the 2021 elections, haven't decided yet.

Confederal Politics: New England Delegates to the Confederal Assembly
Current Affiliations of Delegates to the Confederal Assembly
From the New England Census Region

masscadelegation.png

The New England Census Region (NECR) is home to over 24M people divided between seven realms. The realms that make up the NECR have played an important economic and political role throughout the history of the Union. Six of the regions realms are organized as 'Counties', while one, Vermont, is organized as a Governate. As of the 2015 Census, the seven realms of the NECR contain 43 seats in the Confederal Assembly divided unevenly amongst the realms based on their respective populations. Massachusetts Bay is the largest with 14 seats, followed by New Haven with 8, New Brunswick with 6, New Hampshire and Saybrook which have 5 a piece, New Scotland with 3, and Vermont with 2. The most recent confederal assembly elections were held in the Fall of 2018 for Class B seats.

Currently, the Liberal Alliance for Prosperity holds more than half of the seats within from the NECR with 27 delegates from the region being members of the inter-realm political association. With many of the realms in the region having a history of liberal realm governments, the LAP has been the dominant political group at the confederal level for the region for years. That being said, they actually lost seats in the 2018 elections in both New Brunswick and New Haven. 8 delegates are members of the Coalition for the Advancement of Liberty, 6 are members of the Confederalist Coalition, while the Pan-Green Alliance and Social Popular Front have 1 member each.​

Last edited: