Union of American Realms: A World-Building Exercise

I'm currently making a Mosaic Earth and debating what to put in the USA. So far I've locked in California from A Golden Island to the West, Texas (only the Texas Commonwealth) from Lone Star Republic, and New England from Our Fair Country; I also want to take at least the Northeast and Pacific Northwest from A More Perfect Union. Currently my three main contenders for the region are TTL, the Affilated States of Boreoamerica TL, and Oh I Wish I Was in Dixie. I'd ideally like to take the most important, powerful and/or unique regions from TTL.

I'm currently making a Mosaic Earth and debating what to put in the USA. So far I've locked in California from A Golden Island to the West, Texas (only the Texas Commonwealth) from Lone Star Republic, and New England from Our Fair Country; I also want to take at least the Northeast and Pacific Northwest from A More Perfect Union. Currently my three main contenders for the region are TTL, the Affilated States of Boreoamerica TL, and Oh I Wish I Was in Dixie. I'd ideally like to take the most important, powerful and/or unique regions from TTL.

If you’re for economic/power you may want to go to the upper and mid atlantic realms (Virginia, Maryland, Delmar, Pennsylvania and NY from TTL); but if you’re going for unique, perhaps either the Native Confederacies (Haudenosaunee, Mayaimi, Muskogean and Northwest) or the Floridas: East Florida is majority Spanish-speaking, West Florida tri-lingual between English, French and Spanish and the Mayaimi Confederacy native realm, with a sizable non-native population on its east coast around OTL Miami.

If you’re for economic/power you may want to go to the upper and mid atlantic realms (Virginia, Maryland, Delmar, Pennsylvania and NY from TTL); but if you’re going for unique, perhaps either the Native Confederacies (Haudenosaunee, Mayaimi, Muskogean and Northwest) or the Floridas: East Florida is majority Spanish-speaking, West Florida tri-lingual between English, French and Spanish and the Mayaimi Confederacy native realm, with a sizable non-native population on its east coast around OTL Miami.
Right now I'm thinking of taking Transylvaina, Carolina, Palmetto, Georgia and the Floridas. I want to keep NY through DC from AMPU, though.

Right now I'm thinking of taking Transylvaina, Carolina, Palmetto, Georgia and the Floridas. I want to keep NY through DC from AMPU, though.

Okay!

• Transylvania has extensive (albeit, aging) infrastructure with a MASSIVE highway system;
  • Carolina & Palmetto are both aristocratic oligarchies, but Palmetto is significantly less racist in the present due to stronger slave rebellions in the 19th Century;
  • Georgia was essentially a one-party, racist authoritarian state until the election of Jimmy Carter in the 1970s to the lordship - its gotten better, but its still behind in infrastructure;
  • And like I said, West Florida is a trilingual state (English, French, and Spanish) while East Florida is majority Spanish!

Last edited:
Cultural: Percent of claimed ancestries in the UAR
A look at some of the major (claimed) ancestries in the U.A.R.'s various realms. Note, individuals oftentimes claim dual ancestry. Also note that this is not indicative of language spoken in the respective realms:

ddsk42t-4f2ac1cf-46fa-4eb4-88f3-5694b456a84a.png

ddsmcvt-c66770f9-d979-4e80-a512-ca5630cccdb5.png

Britanomericans refer to English, Welsh, and Scottish folk. More people claim Britanomerican ancestry ITTL, in part due to the influx of immigration from Britain following the European Collapse. There are also slightly more Dutch-Americans (Nederlandercans) than OTL. Moreover, more people in TTL also claim "American" ancestry than OTL. Although in general, large portions of the populace claim multiple ancestries.​

Last edited:
Cultural: Religious affiliations of residents of the UAR
Some more infographics:
ddsmdc2-1cb7e4f5-9cc7-4220-8daf-3ac297d5e00c.png

The UAR is generally more religious as opposed to irreligious than the OTL USA in 2020. Protestant branches dominate as a whole, with the most dominant branch being the endemic Church of Columbia.

Numbers:
The Church of Columbia is strongest in Transylvania where 52.4% of respondents identified as adherents.
The most non-CoC Protestants can be found in Newfoundland at 46.4%.
The Catholic Church is strongest in Canada at 69.8% (East Florida is not far behind with 66.8%).
The Twin Rivers reports the highest demographic choosing Other Christian at 21.1%.
Islam was reported as the faith of 8.9% of Superior residents.
Lastly, 51.6% of Haudenosaunee residents reported being Irreligious.
I have exact breakdowns of every realm in a spreadsheet, if people had questions.

Last edited:
Why do the Native realms have many Atheists in comparison to the other realms?

The irreligious category doesn’t necessarily mean atheist, although atheists are included. It also means individuals who report little to no organized religious activity/affiliation, agnostics, and individuals who may be spiritual to a degree, but do not adhere to any particular religious doctrine/belief in a particular God. My take is that the native confederacies have had high degrees of irreligious movements as a backlash to “growth reforms” that were typically conservative, and many times Christian influenced, during the late 19th and 20th centuries.

Is there any reason why Islam is so popular in the Great Lakes region? I definitely think that’s a cool idea!

A result of those regions opening up to immigration from Islamic countries in the mid-late 20th Century - something the UASR has covertly encouraged.

Misc: List of UAR realms and native confederacies by population
I reworked the population numbers and map, and made a larger wiki article for it. Here it is:

ddt31bb-77f9d0dd-7b4f-4b8f-b121-83b93f81a3d8.png

ddt31iq-fdbdff6e-3f09-4733-b489-6290f859304e.png

Last edited:
Cultural: Demographics of East Florida
A Look At The Demographics of East Florida
efpop.png

1. Distrito Capital de San Agustín, San Augustin, 1,786,298 (2020)
2. Provincia del Rio San Juan Exterior, Anastasia, 2,489,198 (2020)
3. Provincia de Santa Isabela, Puerto Carolina, 2,029,203 (2020)
4. Provincia de San Juan Interior, San Juan, 1,000,403 (2020)
5. Provincia de Santa Fe, Santa Fe, 737,283 (2020)
6. Provincia de Leon, Talasí, 734,329 (2020)
7. Provincia de Narvaez, Hernando, 703,200 (2020)
8. Provincia de la Bahía Espíritu Santo, Espíritu Santo, 2,028,006 (2020)
9. Provincia de Pascua, Ciudad Florida, 1,738,787 (2020)
10. Provincia de Naranja, Avíla, 689,328 (2020)
11. Provincia de la Costa Bella, Nuevo Léon, 3,338,209 (2020)
12. Provincia de Palmera, Bahía Palmas, 1,284,222 (2020)
13. Provincia de los Lagos, Los Arroyos, 598,010 (2020)
-- TOTAL POPULATION: 19,156,476 (2020)​

East Florida (Spanish: La Florida Oriental) was traditionally one of the less populated realms in the UAR, although its status as the only majority-Spanish speaking member of the confederation consistently saw its population grow as consistent waves of immigrants from the Caribbean and then South America moved there. It's population really exploded in the 20th Century, however, as modernization efforts, industrialization, and mass draining of southern swampland opened parts of the realm previously rendered inhospitable. The 20th Century also saw East Florida begin a mass campaign to attract other members from the confederation as it portrayed its coasts as the optimum tourist and retirement destination. In the 1900 census, East Florida reported a population of 612,327 - in the most recent census (2020), the realm reported a population of just over 19M, highlighting the rapid growth the realm experienced. In the 120 years from 1900 to 2020, East Florida's population grew by an astonishing 3028.47%.

Initially and in the early part of the realms history, it's population was centered in the north and especially around the San Juan River (Spanish: Rio San Juan). The population growth seen in the 20th Century centered on the coasts, however, particularly around La Costa Bella province which today is home to the largest concentration of East Floridians in the realm. Considerable population growth also occurred around the Bahía Espíritu Santo and Pascua provinces. Altogether, these three provinces hold 37% of the population. Of course, the capital of San Agustín and the surrounding Capital District are the most populated area per square mile, and the province which surrounds it (Rio San Juan Exterior) has seen its population grow exponentially as the San Agustín Urban Area grew outwards. That province in conjunction with the Capital District hold another 22% of the population. The center of the realm and the northwest remain the less populated regions of the realm, despite amounting to the larger land areas. Nonetheless, these areas, especially the central provinces, hold considerable agricultural value for the realm.

East Florida is just one of two realms in the confederation where a majority of the population speaks a language other than English (the other being Canada) with a vast majority of East Floridians speaking Spanish at home. More East Floridians speak English as a total, of course, due to English being taught in East Florida schools, but the language remains a second language for most citizens of the realm. This means that East Florida exhibits one of the highest bilingual populations in the UAR and the continent as a whole. Significant numbers of East Floridians also speak other languages, such as French, Italian and Portuguese. As far as the Spanish spoken in East Florida, it is considered a unique dialect known as Florideño, with considerable ties to Caribbean dialects of Cuba and Puerto Rico, although having its own norms and varying significantly from the Spanish spoken there or anywhere else. Florideño Spanish is also the dialect spoken by native Spanish speakers West Florida

East Florida is home to a considerable number afromericans due to its history of slavery, although the practice was enforced differently in the realm as opposed to its English sister realms. Colonial law in East Florida provided certain protections for enslaved individuals that were not afforded in places like Georgia, Palmetto and Carolina, resulting in a larger free-black population during the 19th century than in neighboring slaver realms. At the same time, East Florida had considerably less slaves than many of its neighbors. Escaped slaves would oftentimes head south to the Mayaimi Confederacy, where slavery was outlawed, and contention often grew in the 19th Century between free-blacks and enslaved blacks in the realm. When slavery was outlawed in the realm at the end of the 19th Century, tensions eased, and the afromerican population continued to grow from time to time with immigration from the Caribbean. In the present day, roughly 23.2% of East Floridians identify as afromerican, nearly a quarter of the population.

A super-majority of the population of East Florida is Catholic, making it one of two realms where a majority of citizens adhere to the faith (the other being Canada). East Florida holds one of the smallest Protestant populations, including adherents of the Church of Columbia. This, in conjunction with its large Spanish speaking population, has made East Florida the source of considerable racist attacks by politicians from across the confederation. East Florida has had a history of dealing with this, including multiple border crises with neighboring Georgia. In turn, East Florida is home to one of the largest independence movements in the realm and many parties in the realm advocate for greater autonomy.

Last edited:
This begs the question: Why isn't therea bridge across *Tampa Bay? I mean, a lot of people live in greater Espiritu Santo (more than OTL), and many of them will need to take the long way around.

This begs the question: Why isn't therea bridge across *Tampa Bay? I mean, a lot of people live in greater Espiritu Santo (more than OTL), and many of them will need to take the long way around.

There are two major bridges stretching from the OTL Pinellas peninsula towards Espiritu Santo, but do you mean from *Pinellas down toward TTL's Torna-area?

Hmm, yeah that might make sense. Talk about a long bridge!

I see that the old modern day world map is now gone. Any plans to release a world map? Still love this btw.

Yes! I have been making worldas in a more chronological order so as to create a more concrete world, and the original modern day map quickly became outdated. The most recent map shows the world in the mid-19th century, and hopefully I can push out some more soon!

I’m glad to hear you enjoy this!!

@erictom333 I have updated the major highways/roads in the Espiritu Santo Bay Area (and other areas), let me know what you think!

Also, I want to flesh out some more of the realms and get back to more realm focused updates for the time being. Is there any realm people are interested in atm?

Regarding the Patagonia map (New Albion), my Inkscape crashed and the work I had done on mapping the Patagonian coast went out the window. I'll get it redone eventually, but for the time being I am moving on.

Last edited: