Union of American Realms: A World-Building Exercise

Yeah, I'm not sure either. "The Keys" is probably fine, just a bit unusual. Also, is the Twin Rivers a religious state?

Haven’t thought through too many of the details for either the Twins Rivers or Missouri. The Enlightened in their names comes from neighboring Riviera, which I’ve thought through a bit. The idea is that Riviera is established by TTLs Aaron Burr, who makes it his own little country. The republic is the first to ensure the right to vote to women, etc. Burr makes the realm have a needlessly descriptive name by sticking ‘Enlightened’ in there. I imagined Twin Rivers and Missouri being colonized in part by Rivierans, adopting similar names.

I love the idea of Twin Rivers being a religious state

Misc: Boonesboro, Transylvania
uarny_by_ozzysmapcorner_dd5697l-fullview.png

Anyone with expertise making flags that would like to lend a hand, feel free! Is there anything anyone would like to see covered going forward?

Last edited:
Executives: Lord-Governor George I of Georgia
[[MOSTLY CANON, NEEDS EDITING]]

George I (Mathews) of Georgia was the controversial first Lord-Governor of Georgia. Much like his compatriot, George I (Clinton) of New York, Mathews reign came to be known for his outspoken expansionism. It would ultimately cost him his life.

I will admit that most of this (essentially the Early Life and Revolution sections) were taken straight from his wiki. Kept it on to keep the aesthetic alongside the infobox.

Last edited:
Hey, just so you know, you have Upper and Lower Canada swapped. Like Upper and Lower Egypt with the Nile, they're named based on the direction of flow of the St. Lawrence, so Upper Canada is in fact OTL [southern] Ontario and Lower Canada is [southern] Quebec.

Edit: Whoops, somebody already brought that up.

Last edited:
Hey, just so you know, you have Upper and Lower Canada swapped. Like Upper and Lower Egypt with the Nile, they're named based on the direction of flow of the St. Lawrence, so Upper Canada is in fact OTL [southern] Ontario and Lower Canada is [southern] Quebec.

Edit: Whoops, somebody already brought that up.

D'Oh!!! Thought I had fixed that already! I've updated the main map on the first page and will update above concurrently.

Love this.

I'd be interested in hearing more about Connecticut--I think northward-expanding Connecticut is a bit underrated.

Slight correction to the timeline: the first Transylvanian lordship election states 1798, however it should be read as 1796.

Currently working on the 1812 New York lordship election following George Clinton's death, a map of Transylvania's present day counties and major roads (the Lord-Governor's Passing). Will try and get something on Connecticut done. I've found that content is generally easy to work on, but I also have finals coming up so we'll see how things shape out.

Realm Politics: GA lordship election of 1971
A map showing the 1971 lordship election results in Georgia by earldom:

2001 lordship election.png

Looking back, the 1971 lordship election was arguably the most consequential political event in Georgian history. Since the reign of Georgia's first Lord-Governor, George I, Georgia had been run by a closed group of political elite under the guise of the Executor Party. George I founded the Executor Party, it orchestrated the rise of his successor, John, then of John's successor, and so on, and so on. Georgians had lived under the rule of 10 Lord-Governors when they went to the polls in 1971, and all but one had been members of the Executor Party. The party and its leaders had a history of stamping down dissent and authoritarianism that went hand in hand with their history of 180 years of uninterrupted power.

But 1971 changed all of that. Georgia and the Executor Party were in crisis. Georgia in 1971 was a place of chaos following the abdication of Lord-Governor Harold amidst confederal pressure and public scrutiny surrounding the Civil Rights Riots. With opinion polls plummeting for the Executor Party, it's segregationist wing which had dominated for decades was faltering. Interim Executive Michael Belford, wanting to calm things down and tired of Georgia's reputation as a pariah, agreed to having confederal officials monitor the election process and promised to uphold a fair process. Doom for the segregationist wing was finally coming, right - but the party would endure, party leaders foolishly thought, because the opposition parties (what few there were) were too small, and too splintered, and too...

In the midst of all this turmoil was a charismatic peanut farmer, who ran an independent campaign focused on getting the backing of all the minor parties. Yes, that's right, all of them. With folksy charm, measured words, strong faith and an ability to engage with nearly anyone, James Carter succeeded in binding together a coalition of disaffected voters the realm over. The campaign became about corruption, racism, authoritarianism, cronyism, nepotism - all the filth associated with Georgian government for decades. All the filth of the Executor Party.

His message resonated and James Carter did the seemingly impossible. Carter's victory would spell a new dawn for Georgia. Although his electoral coalition, the New Georgia Movement, did not represent a clear political entity, it would go on to morph into one. Moreover, James would prove incredibly long live, still holding office today, making him the longest served Lord-Governor in the realm's history. Since taking office, Georgia has gone through a number of fundamental reforms from healthcare to education to racial relations. On that last part, a dark and long history still stains the realm, but criminal reform efforts and other measures taken during the Carter Era have helped end Georgia's reputation for being home to "Slavery, With A Wink."

Elected Lord-Governor: James (Carter) Liberal Party [New Georgia Movement]

Last edited:
Who is Carter's opponent and what are the party ideologies?

Carter won the election by unexpectedly uniting most of the opposition parties into a coalition. This stunned the Executor Party. Carter himself is a member of the Liberal Party. The New Georgia Coalition calls for modernizing the state by implementing a major infrastructure program, along with electoral reform to ease the disenfranchisement of afrogeorgians throughout the realm.

He beat Herman Talmadge, who secured the nomination of the Executor Party. The Executor Party has typically held government, occasionally with supply from a minor party in the legislature. However, they did not expect Carter's New Georgia Coalition in the face of the Harold I resignation and scandals.

Last edited:
Maps: Modern Georgia
As you can see from the map below, Georgia's roads are not up to par with Transylvania's. Lord-Governor James I and the New Georgia Coalition have done their best to up the infrastructure spending, but the coalition has struggled to control the legislature consistently during James reign. Highways are being built at a significant pace, and relations with the Creek & Cherokee Confederacy and East Florida has reached all time highs, meaning movement between them and Georgia has grown.

gacount.png

Misc: List of Lord-Governors of Georgia
[[NEEDS EDITING, BUT CANON]]

List of Lord-Governors of Georgia

Georgia hasn't had the best history..

EDIT: D'Oh! I wrote "abdicate the throne" smh lol should say the office or lordship. Also the wiki box and initial paragraph should say June XX 1971!

Last edited:
I'm thinking that aside from a few wars in the 19th Century, the UAR spends the 20th century largely more and more like the modern EU in certain respects. In contrast, Europe descends into madness wars throughout much of the 20th century. By 2019, Europe has stabilized, but the 20th century see's mass migration from Europe to the various countries in the Americas. I'm using this to justify larger populations across certain realms.

Another concept I'm toying with is each realm being able to decide whether to take larger number of immigrants, etc.

Oh and I'm working on a map of Saybrook. Do y'all have any requests?

I'm thinking that aside from a few wars in the 19th Century, the UAR spends the 20th century largely more and more like the modern EU in certain respects. In contrast, Europe descends into madness wars throughout much of the 20th century. By 2019, Europe has stabilized, but the 20th century see's mass migration from Europe to the various countries in the Americas. I'm using this to justify larger populations across certain realms.

Another concept I'm toying with is each realm being able to decide whether to take larger number of immigrants, etc.

Oh and I'm working on a map of Saybrook. Do y'all have any requests?
The UAR has always come off like a slightly more centralized democratic HRE to me. It acts like one nation at times, but also has a lot of internal differences.

As for Europe, I like the idea of it falling into chaos, I just have to wonder why it falls into chaos and what American nations Europeans migrate to, or for that matter what other American nations look like ITTL.

Also, can I just say that this TL is awesome? The graphics are great, the scenario is completely unique, and the bizarre differences from OTL are really cool. You really amped up elective monarchism and created a very original alternate US as a consequence, and I love how this TL isn't just a Hamilton Plan scenario, and almost goes the opposite route by making the UAR very decentralized and politically diverse.

The UAR has always come off like a slightly more centralized democratic HRE to me. It acts like one nation at times, but also has a lot of internal differences.

That's roughly how I picture it as well. A hyper-AoC sort of, in every sense. (A slightly more powerful central government than the AoC one, but one whose power is extremely specific; ergo, the Union Tax, etc.).

As for Europe, I like the idea of it falling into chaos, I just have to wonder why it falls into chaos and what American nations Europeans migrate to, or for that matter what other American nations look like ITTL.

Wars itself into self-peril? I was thinking a possible bioweapon goes haywire sometime in the 1940s? This is all very loose.

I've been thinking about the rest of the Americas a little bit. I have this in mind: a rump French-speaking Louisiana; a large Tejas covering most of OTL TX, NM, AZ and the northern Mexican states; a Californio-dominant SoCal; Russian Alaska (independent)

I haven't decided about the Oregon Valley area yet..

Also, can I just say that this TL is awesome? The graphics are great, the scenario is completely unique, and the bizarre differences from OTL are really cool. You really amped up elective monarchism and created a very original alternate US as a consequence, and I love how this TL isn't just a Hamilton Plan scenario, and almost goes the opposite route by making the UAR very decentralized and politically diverse.

Haha, thanks! I've had the concept for a few years now, it's cool to put it down into actual content