Union of American Realms: A World-Building Exercise

Yes, exactly!
As for the difference between the usage of K and G, I'm not entirely sure, but I think that it's the difference between a hard sound and a soft sound. So like, the G in "Gram" vs the G in "Gentlemen", and I think that the K is used for the former.
That's not the case, actually. The languages of the Iroquois don't make a distinction between the K and hard G sounds (nor between T and D), and so their official writing systems often don't either. When they do, they're reflecting a difference in pronunciation that is present but not distinctive, like how the P in "pit" is pronounced with a puff of air but the one in "spit" isn't, but English speakers still consider them to be the same sound.

Here are the Americas in 1777ish, on the eve of the American Independence War

Americas 1776.png

That being said, I'm working out Worldas detailing the world in various stages of TTLs history, starting with the mid-17th century. Initially, I was going to heavily waive butterflies, but I've had a change of heart. That being said, a lot of borders that have been shown in prior maps (including the "main map" threadmarked on page 5) are no longer canon! Although the maps depicting modern American nations remain canon as of now! There still is no solid POD, but I've determined the 17th century as a loose point for divergence. Butterfly nets, however, still exist when it comes to using OTL figures, which I plan to continue doing (I've also been using fictional figures where appropriate).

Last edited:
Visual History of the World (1650-1816)
Some prior history for ya, in the form of worldas:

1650.png

This depicts the world at the height of the Iberian Dissolution, where the Iberian Union came to an end when Portugal, Aragon, the Basque Country and Galicia revolted against the central government of the Iberian Union. In OTL, the revolts were lesser than ITTL, and Spain only lost Portugal. In TTL, the various other regions revolted in greater numbers.

1688.png

The Treaty of Lisbon saw Spain officially recognize the independence of Portugal, Aragon and the Netherlands. The Treaty also dealt with matters involving the connected, but distinct, Portuguese-Dutch conflict with the Netherlands annexing Amazonia. France conquered then cemented control over Hispaniola and East Florida with the signing of the Treaty of Valencia in 1702. The Hapsburgs were also forced from the throne of Spain; shortly thereafter, Spain would concede it's remaining Italian and Low Country holdings to Austria. England unifies the isles and forms Great Britain.

1715.png

France and Great Britain come to a pseudo-agreement on New World borders, known as the Florida Agreement, but this doesn't last. Dutch and Portuguese colonists in Brazil and Amazonia extend past Spain's claimed boundaries.

1745.png

The state of the world one year before the start of the Six Years War. The Florida Agreement collapsed relatively quickly and both Britain and France crossed claims once more. Rather than go to war with Portugal or the Netherlands, Spain signed a new treaty with both nations marking new boundaries in South America. The Six Years War would come to be known as the first global war by later historians. Aragon collapsed in 1703 and rejoined Spain in 1707.

1777.png

The world just prior to the American Independence War. The Six Years War (1748-1754) ended in an odd draw. Great Britain gained France's Nouvelle-France Florida colonies, along with the Netherland's cape colony. Portugal also gained, primarily in the form of colonial outposts in the East Indies. The continental part of the war went in France and the Netherland's favor, however, along with their allies Bavaria and Prussia. Both France and Great Britain, along with most of the rest of Europe, suffered severe economic downturns following the war. This downturn spurred greater taxes which in turn spurred discontent. This discontent is what led to the American Independence War.

1816.png

The above map is set 39 years after the last one. The American Independence War (1777-85) resulted in the independence of the entirety of Great Britain's North American colonies in the first successful example of a colony breaking from it's motherland. The initial government, known as the Articles of Union for its binding document, created a hyper-centralized government that infuriated the respective realms. The Articles of Union government fell out of favor by late 1787 and under the threat of complete dissolution, a convention was called in 1788. There, the writings of Isaac Fox were broken down and reworked into what was formally titled The Constitution of the Realms United, but which is more commonly referred to as the Union Constitution or the Confederal Constitution.

The First Great European War began in 1803, shortly after the Flight of the Republicans from France after Henry V's victory in the French Civil War (1793-95). It was sparked when Henry V invaded the Rhineland and Savoy, with dreams of creating a grand empire over Europe under his hegemony. The war ended up expanding until it had dragged nearly the entire continent into conflict. Louisiana, which had gained considerable autonomy and a rise in population as a result of the Flight of the Republicans, refused to meet France's draft requirements starting the Louisianan Independence War (1804-09) and the American-Louisianan War (1814-20). The war has left many of Europe's powers economically pained. The war also saw the collapse of the Holy Roman Empire and the growth of both Prussia and Austria. France was able to last until the end and, although faced with a number of economic penalties, was able to get out of the war mostly unscathed. Nonetheless, with the country gaining practically nothing in a war that cost it so much, anger against Henry V and the monarchy has reached a new high not seen since the French Civil War.

Spain's colonies have begun to rebel across the New World.​

Last edited:
List of New York Counties
nycounties.png

New York Counties by Date Formed
  1. Albany (1683): Named after James II of England who held the title of Duke of Albany. (Colonial)
  2. Bergen (1683): Named after Bergen, a settlement of the former Dutch colony of New Netherland. (Colonial)
  3. Essex (1683): Named after the county of Essex in England. (Colonial)
  4. Middlesex (1683): Named after the county of Middlesex in England. (Colonial)
  5. Monmouth (1683): Named after the county of Monmouth in Wales. (Colonial)
  6. Dutchess (1683): Named after Lady Anne Hyde, Duchess of New York. (Colonial)
  7. York (1683): Originally New York County. Renamed following the consolidation of New York City in 1907. Named after James II of England who held the title of Duke of York. (Colonial)
  8. Orange (1683): Named after William of Orange-Nassau, who became King of England. (Colonial)
  9. Richmond (1683): Named after Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond. (Colonial)
  10. Ulster (1683): Named after the Irish province of Ulster, then an earldom of James II. (Colonial)
  11. Westchester (1683): Named after the English city of Chester. (Colonial)
  12. Somerset (1688): Named after the county of Somerset in England. (Colonial)
  13. Hunterdon (1712): Named after Robert Hunter, colonial governor of New York at the time. (Colonial)
  14. Cosby (1736): Named after William Cosby, colonial governor of New York at the time. (Colonial)
  15. Sussex (1757): Named after the county of Sussex in England. (Colonial)
  16. Montgomery (1772): Originally Tryon County. Renamed after American Independence War general Richard Montgomery in 1784. (Colonial)
  17. Washington (1772): Originally Charlotte County. Renamed after American Independence War general George Washington in 1784. (Colonial)
  18. Van Buren (1786): Originally named Columbia County. Renamed after the Van Buren family of Kinderhook in 1832. (AoU govt.)
  19. Frelinghuysen (1786): Named after the Frelinghuysen family. (AoU govt.)
  20. Clinton (1788): Named after Lord-Governor George I, who was Governor of New York at the time. (AoU govt.)
  21. George (1791): Named after George Clinton, first Lord-Governor of New York. (George I)
  22. Cornelia (1791): Originally Otsego County. Renamed after Lady Cornelia Tappen Genet, née Clinton, daughter of Lord-Governor Clinton I and cousin of Lord-Governor DeWitt, in 1816 following the Erie Conflict with the Haudenosaunee Confederacy. (George I)
  23. Rensselaer (1791): Named after the Rensselaer family of New York. (George I)
  24. Charles (1791): Originally Saratoga County. Renamed after Sir Charles Alexander Clinton, son of Lord-Governor DeWitt, in 1816 following the Erie Conflict with the Haudenosaunee Confederacy. (George I)
  25. Tappen (1791): Originally Tioga County. Renamed after First Lady Sarah Clinton, née Tappen, wife of Lord-Governor George I, in 1816 following the Erie Conflict with the Haudenosaunee Confederacy. (George I)
  26. James (1795): Named after Sir James Clinton, brother of Lord-Governor George I and general in the American Independence War. (George I)
  27. Steuben (1797): Named for Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben, the Prussian general who assisted the Continental Army during the American Independence War.* (George I)
  28. Williams (1798): Originally Chenago County. Renamed after Sir George William Clinton, son of Lord-Governor DeWitt, in 1816 following the Erie Conflict with the Haudenosaunee Confederacy. (George I)
  29. Rockland (1798): Named from early settlers describing that region as "rocky land." (George I)
  30. Wayne (1798): Named after American Independence War general Anthony Wayne. (George I)
  31. Fox (1799): Named after famed American writer, philosopher and political theorist Isaac Fox. (George I)
  32. French (1799): Named after William French, the New York judge appointed over what is now the Green Mountain Republic who was killed in the Westminster Massacre. (George I)
  33. McDougall (1800): Named after American Independence War general Alexander McDougall. (George I)
  34. Lewis (1806): Named after Morgan Lewis, third Lieutenant-Governor to George I and the realm's second Prime Minister. (George I)
  35. Schuyler (1806): Named after American Independence War general Phillip Schuyler, who notably ran against George I in the first lordship election. (George I)
  36. Catherine (1808): Named after Lady Catherine Cortlandt, née Clinton, daughter of Lord-Governor George I. (George I)
  37. Franklin (1808): Named after Benjamin Franklin. (George I)
  38. Scott (1809): Named after American Independence War militia leader John Morris Scott. (George I)
  39. Tompkins (1810): Named after Daniel Tompkins, fourth and final Lieutenant-Governor to George I. (George I)
  40. Julia (1810): Originally named Susquehanna County. Renamed after Lady Julia Catherine Jacobs, née Clinton, daughter of Lord-Governor DeWitt, in 1816 following the Erie Conflict with the Haudenosaunee Confederacy. (George I)
  41. Alexander (1812): Named after American War of Independence hero and soldier William Alexander. (DeWitt)
  42. DeWitt (1813): Named after DeWitt Clinton, second Lord-Governor of New York.
  43. Maria (1816): Named after First Lady Maria Clinton, née Franklin, first wife of Lord-Governor DeWitt. (DeWitt)
  44. Pitcher (1814): Named after Sir Nathaniel Pitcher, first Lieutenant-Governor to DeWitt. (DeWitt)
  45. Tallmadge (1823): Named for Sir James Talmadge, second Lieutenant-Governor to DeWitt. (DeWitt)
  46. Graham (1824): Named for Sir James Graham Clinton, half-brother of DeWitt. (DeWitt)
  47. Maarten (1834): Named for Martin Van Buren, fourth Lord-Governor of New York. (Martin)
  48. Mitchill (1837): Named for Samuel Mitchill, third Lord-Governor of New York. (Martin)
  49. Mercer (1838): Named for Hugh Mercer, who died at the Battle of Princeton. (Martin)
  50. Hudson (1840): Named after the Hudson River. (Martin)
  51. Marcy (1842): Named after Sir William Marcy, first Lieutenant-Governor to Martin and Prime Minister. (Martin)
  52. Hoes (1850): Named after Hannah Van Buren, née Hoes, Lord-Governor Martin's late wife. (Martin)
  53. Abraham (1857): Named for Sir Abraham Van Buren, son of Martin. (Martin)
  54. Dumont (1878): Named for Mary Dumont, mother of Lord-Governor Frederick I. (Frederick I)
  55. Palisades (1907): Named after the palisades on the eastern shore of the Hudson River. (Frederick II)
  56. Bronx (1907): Named after early Dutch settler Jonas Bronck. (Frederick II)

Last edited:
I had the complete county-by-county results for the 2019 New York lordship election - this included the exact number of votes each candidate received in every single New York county, their margin of victory, etc.... And then I deleted the spreadsheet like the fool that I am. I still have the map done, so I know the general margin of victories for each county - but it will take me some time to redo all the exact results. Might get that done sometime this weekend, but if not expect the map at the very least and a write up. That being said:

BREAKING NEWS: EARL THOMAS KEAN JR. (YORKER) AND ASSEMBLYMAN SCOTT STRINGER (CHANGE!) MAKE LORDSHIP RUN-OFF​

Last edited:
2019 Michigan lordship election
2019michiganlordshipmap.png

Michigan elects it's lord-governor by way of an electoral college. The electoral college is composed of 200 members divided amongst eight electoral districts coinciding with the eight legislative districts of Michigan's Chamber of Delegates. The eight electoral districts are redrawn every 50 years, but their electoral vote total in any given year depends on the most recent census. The electoral map has had the above divisions since 1955 (the 2005 convention resulted in the same boundaries). On Election Day, the citizens of Michigan vote for their preferred candidate in a winner-take-all format ballot. The winner of the district, whether by plurality or outright majority, takes all of the district's electoral votes because delegates to the electoral college are bound to vote for the winner. Originally, voters were simply selecting the delegates to the electoral college, who then could vote freely - this was changed after the adopted of the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of Michigan. For a candidate to win the election outright, they must win 50%+1 of the electoral votes. There are 200 electoral votes, meaning a candidate must receive at least 101 electoral votes to win the election.

The Michigan legislature is a bicameral institution divided between the Chamber of Delegates, the popularly elected lower chamber, and the Chamber of Earls, the semi-popularly elected upper chamber. Michigan is subdivided into 68 earldoms (akin to an OTL county) and each popularly elects one earl for life. Each earl oversees both the municipalities within their respective earldom, and the legislative functions associated with the Chamber of Earls. When no candidate wins at least 101 electoral votes, the top two candidates based on electoral votes proceed to a second election conducted by the Chamber of Earls. A candidate must receive 60% of the vote in order win, and the Chamber has three ballots to ensure that a Lord-Governor-elect is selected. Although rather archaic and heavily criticized, the unique electoral is entrenched.

The Conservative-Reform Party nominated Speaker of the Chamber Jennifer Amash, known for her hard fiscally liberal platform; the Radical Peoples Party nominated CD Michael Morrison, a member of the party's hardline establishment; the Farmer-Labor Party nominated Joseph Mueller, 7th Earl of Ogemaw; lastly, the Social-Reform Party nominated Erika Meadows, President of the University of Michigan - Ravena. The Speaker had overseen a resurgence for the Conservative-Reform Party following the 2015 general elections, and was hoping that would translate into an outright victory on Election Day. Otherwise, she'd have to cut significant deals to get the Chamber of Earls to elect her. The Chamber of Earls retains significant membership from before the CFP resurgence, including a significant number of RPP earls from the 1990s.

Unfortunately for the Speaker, she did not win an electoral majority on election. Speaker Amash won three of the electoral districts and took 82 electoral votes to match a ~27% realm-wide showing. She would lead in both electoral and popular vote, but she remained 19 shy of an outright victory. In second place came Michael Morrison who won 63 electoral votes, despite having less than 100,000 more votes than fourth place finisher Erika Meadows. Meadows would receive only 24 electoral votes, despite receiving the third most votes realm wide, behind Earl Mueller's 32 electoral vote showing on just 15% of the vote.

Party leader Morrison and the Radical Peoples Party immediately sought an alliance with the Social-Reform Party and the Farmer-Labor Party. The Social-Reform Party agreed on the grounds that they'd get to select the Attorney General on a guaranteed term of at least 4 years. The FLP was not swayed, however, particularly considering Morrison's history for anti-religious remarks. The FLP did not formally endorse either of the second rounders, it's leadership encouraging party members to vote their conscience. However, the FLP was a major factor in the second round. The area encompassing the two districts the FLP candidate won sits atop nearly half of the earldoms, despite representing less than 20% of the Michigan's population. In fact, that fall of 2019, the Chamber of Earls was made up of 27 FLP Earls, 21 CRP Earls, 11 RPP, and 9 SRP Earls. That meant Speaker Amash had 21 votes locked in to Morrison's had 20. The vote of the FLP became critical as to which of two futures Michigan would follow: one that continues the reign of a Radical Peoples executive after the historic victory of the late Lord-Governor Charles (RPP - 1989-2019); or one that would usher back the Conservative-Reformists after a long absence from power.

Because the Chamber of Earls was a body that changed in composition very infrequently, the CRP had predicted a situation just like this years ago. For that reason the party had pushed into a molding a socially rightwing, liberal populist branch that would target the old industrial communities and other areas of western Michigan. This was a longstanding plan to build up support in traditional strongholds of the FLP and it worked to surprising degree. In fact, it was largely the reason for the resurgence the CRP rode to leadership in the 2015 general elections. Speaker Amash and the CRP certainly appealed to the largely Columbian-adherents of the FLP more-so than DC Morrison who has a history of scandalous remarks and hedonism. Of course, the FLP was also economically left wing and the late Lord-Governor Charles' victory in 1989 was the result of the FLP earls joining a wide-ranging leftwing alliance between the RPP, the FLP and the SRP.

On the first ballot, the vote was 34 Amash and 34 Morrison, a tie, a bad omen for the Morrison camp. On the second ballot a day later, the results came in 36 Amash and 32 Morrison, indicating little progress had been made by either camp to convince the swing Earls, or worse, that there were no swing Earls. The Michigan Constitution gave the Chamber of Earls three ballots to select a candidate with 60% of the Earls in favor. If the Chamber failed to do so, a new lordship election would have to be called altogether, leaving the executive branch of the realm in limbo for months to come. It had never happened in the realms past, and it wouldn't happen in 2019. In the early morning hours of the third day of balloting, reports began circulating that the Amash camp had reached an agreement with the SRP. #SRPTraitors, #LordGovernorElectAmash, and #SRPFlips were the three highest hashtags in Michigan on social networking platform Chirpnet just thirty minutes before the Earls voted one final time.

The third and final ballot was 44 Amash - 24 Morrison, the reports were proven true, and Speaker Amash became the first woman elected Lord-Governor in Michigan's history. Her election marks the first Conservative-Reformist administration since the mid-20th Century. It also marks the conclusion of the Radical Peoples Party's first ever control of the executive branch after 30 years in power.​

Last edited:
Realm Flags [EF, NY & SB]
Does anyone have any interest in anything in particular at this time? I know a Balkan's post had been requested a few weeks back, but I'm a little stuck on that region for now. I also have some current projects pending, including a large map of the Upperatlantic and neighboring realms which I am hoping to complete eventually!

In the meantime here are are some flags:

The Flag of the Governate of New York:

flagogny.png

Similar to the OTL flag of NY with some key differences. The OTL flag of New York has an entirely blue field, and the blue is darker than the one used in TTL. Additionally, the blue field is split by an orange band in TTL, meant to represent the origins of the realm as a Dutch colony and pay homage to that history. The coat of arms is also much smaller on TTL's flag than in the OTL flag. So: Blue bands represent the Hudson Seaway and the Atlantic Ocean, highlighting the importance of water and the trade moved through that water on NY's history; the orange band is an homage to the Dutch who established what would become New York; the two stars represent New York's bright past behind us (left star), and it's bright future yet to come (right star). The current flag has been in effect since 1907. The Coat of Arms is the same as the OTL one adopted during the Revolutionary War.
The Flag of the County of Saybrook:

flagogny.png

The Saybrook flag has three main influencers. Firstly, the flag draws clear influence from the flag of England, though it's cross sports thinner lines. The flag's other two influences are expressed in the seals that adorn the respective corners. In the flag's own upper left and lower right, you'll see the Seal of Saybrook (used in OTL as the seal of Old Saybrook, CT, and of Saybrook College), representing the capital and namesake of the realm and harkening to it's foundation. In the flag's own upper right and lower left is the coat of arms of the Cromwell family, the hereditary rulers of Saybrook since it's admission as a realm. The Cromwells were exiled to Saybrook and amassed something akin to a cult following in the then-colony. It should be noted that Saybrook County is not run the way the English Commonwealth of OTL was run -- while the Cromwell's became ingratiated in Saybrook society, any adherence to the actual political philosophy of Oliver is miniscule.
The Flag of the Governate of East Florida:

flagogef.png

The flag incorporates the OTL seal of Saint Augustine, Florida, which is essentially a seal representing Castile-Leon. The OTL seal has a crown over the seal, which I edited (along with making a custom recreation of the seal) that to make it look more like towers and less like a crown. The flag incorporates the Cross of Burgundy, which flew over TTL's San Agustin when it was a Spanish colony. The blue band in the middle represents the Rio San Juan (St. John's River).​

Last edited:
Official U.A.R. Census Regions
Here are the UAR Census Regions, as outlined by the Union Census Bureau under the scrutiny of the Confederal Assembly.

Last edited:
Flight of the Spanish Dominicans New

Footnotes
  • Floridian Spanish specifically refers to the type of Spanish that has developed in the Floridas, but particularly East Florida.
  • The island of Hispaniola is referred to as Haiti in TTL; after the Treaty of Valencia, the French decreed the island would no longer be referred to as Hispaniola (deemed as harkening to Spanish rule) as part of La politique de francisation d'Haïti. Instead, French authorities began referring to the island as Haïti, a name based on the native Taino word for the island. In the present day, the island is known universally as Haiti, however, it's inhabitants are known as Dominicans or dominicaines.
  • The Dominican Kingdom is a present day country encompassing the entirety of the OTL island of Hispaniola .
  • Franconisation is TTL's (American) English word for policies which seek to make an area decidedly more French.
  • Jean-Paul Gerard Rochette is a fictional figure who was Colonial Governor of France's Saint-Domingue Colony from 1711-43.
  • A general note is that both Spanish Florida and Spanish Hispaniola had more Spanish settlers in TTL's 1702 than in OTL.
  • Colorado refers to the country north of Mexico that separated after the fall of the First Mexican Empire.
  • As mentioned earlier, East Florida had a larger Spanish population ITTL's 1702 as opposed to in OTL - with it being considered far less valuable than Haiti, France determined East Florida would be the location where Spanish speakers in other parts of the empire (namely Haiti) would be sent to. The move bolstered the Spanish population of East Florida further, and East Florida under the French (1702-54) became largely autonomous.
  • Espiritu Santo is roughly OTL Tampa, while Espiritu Santo Bay (Bahia del Espiritu Santo) is OTL Tampa Bay.
  • Floridian-Dominicans are largely indistinguishable from other Spanish Floridians, but due pervasive tracking of ones descent, continue to be recognized as a separate group within East Florida.
  • The OTL city of Santo Domingo is the TTL capital of the Dominican Kingdom and is universally known as Saint-Domingue; in 2020 it is home to ~1,430,203 (commune)/~4,549,392 (metro) making it the largest city in the country, the second largest city of all the Antilles and the largest metropolitan area of all the Caribbean islands. The island of Haiti is the most populous island in the Caribbean at ~25M (about 5M more people than OTL) with nearly half of the entire population of the Antilles living on the island.

Last edited:
Upperatlantic Census Region New
U.A.R. Census Region of the Upper Atlantic

For official confederal purposes, the Upper Atlantic Census Regions consists of the realms of New York, Pennsylvania and Long Island. The map shows those three realms in details, along with the immediate neighbors (Maryland, Delmar, Erie, Haudenosaunee); while the farther neighbors are shown in the least detail (Virginia, New Haven, Vermont, Huron, Canada and Ohio). You can also see the Royal Domain, officially the territory of the House of Columbia, with the seat of the Monarch-President located at Mount Vernon, and the Confederal Assembly, Supreme Court of the Union and the Executive Council located in George's City, within the Royal Domain but across the water from Mount Vernon. The realms are grouped in different ways by different organizations, but the Union Census Bureau officially recognizes the Upper Atlantic Census Region of consisting of NY, PA & LI.​

Last edited:
List of Counts of Massachusetts Bay New
List of Counts of Massachusetts Bay
(House Adams holds hereditary rights over the Executive Branch of this Realm)

1. John | T: 1790-1816 (26) | abdicated at 80 | L: 1735-1826 (91) [1]
  2. John Quincy I | T: 1816-48 (32) | abdicated at 80 | L: 1767-1848 (81) [2]
  3. Charles I (Adams) | T: 1848-86 (38) | L: 1807-86 (79)
  4. John Quincy II (Adams) | T: 1886-94 (8) | L: 1833-94 (61)
  5. George (Adams) | T: 1894-1900 (6) | L: 1863-1900 (37) [3]
  6. Charles II (Adams) | T: 1900-43 (43) | abdicated at 80 | L: 1862-1954 (92) [4]
  7. Charles III (Adams) | T: 1943-81 (38) | abdicated at 80 | L: 1901-99 (88) [5]
  8. Charles IV (Adams) | T: 1981-2001 (20) | L: 1938-2001 (62) [6]
  9. Charles V (Adams) | T: 2001-incumbent (18) | L: 1970 (49)
[1] On Count John's 80th birthday on October 30, 1815, he gave a speech before the entirety of the Massachusetts legislature [i.e. the Executive Council of Assistants (Upper House) and the General Assembly (Lower House)] in which he looked back on his tenure as Count of Massachusetts - a tenure that, at that moment, had lasted a quarter century. "Far longer than any one person should, in their right mind, run a realm," John told those in attendance that evening, "but alas, such were the provisions of the Union Constitution and the Governing Charter of the Massachusetts Bay County." But at a certain age, the faculties of man fail us, the Count would continue, such that it would be a disservice to continue holding the position. As such, he concluded, on July 4, 1816, the 26th Anniversary of his inauguration, he would be abdicating the office of Count of Massachusetts Bay. This unofficial abdicate at 80 rule has been followed by every Count who has reached that age, and is known as John's Rule.

[2] John Quincy I, upon assuming the position of Count, passed up the official name of John II so that his father would remain the only Count of that name. In 1886, when John Quincy II assumed the position, he too chose the official name John Quincy as opposed to John out of respect for his great-grandfather. This unofficial rule is known as Quincy's Rule.

[3] Count George holds the unfortunate records of having the shortest tenure as count, and of being the youngest count to die while in office, dying at the age of 37 from the Wandering Flu.

[4] Because George left no living heirs, the office of Count passed to George's brother, Charles II. This marks the only sibling to sibling succession in the realm's history. Charles II holds the record for longest term in the realm's history at 47 years - nearly half a century. Charles II followed John's Rule and abdicated on the first anniversary of his inauguration following his 80th birthday.

[5] Charles III followed John's Rule and abdicated on the first anniversary of his inauguration following his 80th birthday.

[6] Charles IV's death from brain cancer in 2001 rocked Massachusetts.

[7] Youngest person to ascend to the office of Count of Massachusetts Bay (31 at the time).

Last edited:
List of Governor-Presidents of the UAR New
faj.png

¡ ¡ ¡ Union of American Realms ¡ ¡ ¡

Governor-President of the Executive Council
Part I

Last edited:
Didn't you already have a list of Governor-Presidents before? I assume you changed something from the old version. Loving it as always!
You may have seen this on the wikibox thread, I posted it there in December, but hadn't gotten around to posting it here! There's also a list of the current Executive Council on page four, so you may be remembering that!