Uneasy Lies the Head that Wears a Crown: A Timeline of the Owain Glyndwr Uprising and its Consequences

Uneasy Lies the Head that Wears a Crown:
A Timeline of the Owain Glyndwr Uprising and its Consequences

portrait-of-owain-glyndr-from-his-great-seal-illustration-id1027335598

"Canst thou, O partial sleep, give thy repose
To the wet sea-boy in an hour so rude,
And in the calmest and most stillest night,
With all appliances and means to boot,
Deny it to a king? Then happy low, lie down!
Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown."
- Shakespeare, Henry IV Part 2

Prologue: The Red Hand
AD MCCCLXXVIII

Owain ap Thomas ap Rhodri lay dying and he was painfully aware of that fact. One hand, desperately, futilely, attempted to staunch the flow of blood that gushed freely through his gambeson from multiple dagger wounds and the other, desperately, futilely, tried to pull his failing body up on the map table.

“Why John?” He gasped, blood spittling the the plain rug on the tent floor as he coughed with the effort. “How did he come to this?”

The man named John looked down at his former master. Traces of pity and regret passed across his face as he considered the dying man in front of him and the bloody dagger in his hand but he did not answer. Instead, he turned away, looking behind through the tent flap and out into the dark camp beyond. Beyond the traitor, the gloom remained oblivious to the events going on in its midst and the flickering torchlight revealed little more than the dark cut outs of tents and passing soldiers.

“I’m sorry.” Was all the Scotsman said as he let the dagger fall to the rug with a disturbing silence. Owain’s blood coating the blade added itself to the growing stain. Welsh wool this rug was supposed to be, bought for Owain by Charles V himself to remind the soldier of his ancestral home but that mattered little to a son of Scotland in the pay of the King of England. Wool was wool as far as the Scotsman was concerned and all of it equally good at soaking up the blood of a dying man. Crouching down, the Scotsman wiped his hands on the still untainted edged of the rug, leaving a scarlet trail behind, and made a sign of the cross over the dying man before he turned and left the tent.

The dying man saw none of this. No longer able to muster the strength to speak or attempt to pull himself up, Owain had finally slumped forwards into the blood-soaked wool. His eyes blinked once, twice, trying and failing to focus on his glistening red right hand as the last Prince of Wales died alone in a field in Poitou.
---​

“For God, for France and Lawgoch!” Went up the cry from his men, the words still sounding strange in Welsh mouths that had last called the war cries of England and English Kings. As the echoes died, they charged forwards against the advancing foe and their cries were replaced by the familiar sounds of battle. Clanging steel, the grisly thuds of weapons meeting flesh and the shouts and screams of the living and the dying. Surrounded by an endless sea of infantry, his men a pool of Welsh blood between the English tide and the French shore, Owain strangely felt his spirits lift. On this muddy field in the south of France he was a freer man that he had ever been as a lord of the manor in England.

An English man-at-arms broke through the ranks in front of him and Owain smiled, thrusting his sword and impaling the unfortunate soldier with a single blow, feeling it pierce through leather and sin in the process. The stranger, just another dead man among many today, slumped forwards as Owain pulled back his blade and Owain stepped forwards once more into the fray. To his left and right, Welshmen armed with a ragtag assortment of swords, spears and axes struggled with cross marked Englishmen whilst the French lines disintegrated around them. Another soldier stepped forwards towards Owain, smarter than his predecessor, with a shield raised warily against him. Owain smiled again, he had always enjoyed a challenge, and lunged forwards.

His sword crunched into the English shield, splintering the wood but no more. He raised his own shield to block the swinging blade of the Englishman and felt his position slip sideways in the churned mud of the battlefield. Steadying himself, Owain counterattacked and attempted to drive his sword through the chest of his foe. He was swiftly disabused of that gambit as the Englishman knocked his sword aside with his shield and aimed his own blow at Owain’s head. Ducking swiftly before jumping back out of the Englishman’s reach, Owain once again had to steady himself before he struck again. This time attack struck true, almost. The Englishman had raised his shield again, but where he had manged to deflect Owain’s blade last time, he could only divert it into his shoulder.

Grunting in pain, the Englishman reeled backwards but held his shield well, blocking Owain’s follow up strike that crunched harmlessly into it. Despite this failure, Owain had now all but won. The Englishman’s sword arm was hanging feebly from the wound to the shoulder. Owain prepared himself to strike the killing blow but he had let complacency creep in too soon and the Englishman, clearly with considerable effort, had raised his sword for a final attack, flailing it wildly to slash across Owain’s cheek. Blood poured down Owain’s face to join the red of his surcoat but the Englishman had missed his chance.

Owain let the blood flow and instead attacked, breaking the Englishman’s shield were a decisive blow from his sword before thrusting it straight through the Englishman’s neck as the four lions of his surcoat flapped in the wind of Poitiers.
---​

Owain gazed out at the rolling sea. He had been told it was a calm day by people who knew better but to him the sea always looked like it resented his presence on it. White horses of foam charged past the side of his vessel and crashed against the side of its companions as the flotilla sailed towards Guernsey. It was a decent flotilla as war fleets go, it numbered 21 ships, a mix of cogs and hulks as had been supplied at Harfleur, that carried some 800 men between them, a fleet worthy of an expedition to reclaim his birth right as Prince of Wales. First though, they would test their strength against the English in the Channel Islands. It would not be the sternest of tests, Guernsey was guarded by castles but his French contacts reported that they were frequently undermanned and the population at large lacked both the desire and wherewithal to actively resist, but it would be a worthy one.

“Still brooding?” A shout from behind him and a hand clapping him on the shoulder interrupted Owain’s thoughts. He turned to meet the man he need would be standing there, Ieuan Wyn, his steward.

“I’m not brooding. I’m planning.” Owain said with mock seriousness before grinning and embracing his closest friend, their armour providing a loud accompaniment as metal met metal.

“Hah!” Ieuan cried with a smile as he pulled back. “We both know this will be an easy fight!”

Owain’s brow furrowed and Ieuan flashed him another smile, teasing this time, and held up his hands placatingly.

“Fine, fine. I know you take this very seriously.” He patted the hilt of his sword with a flourish before adding. “How about we take your mind of it with a quick duel?”

Owain could tell Ieuan was studying his face for that first flicker of a smile but Owain was determined that he would not see one today. He loved his steward but he was incapable of taking anything seriously.

“Awww.” Ieuan sighed eventually. “Always so serious before we fight. How ever will we get you to lighten up a little?”

“When we win brother, when we have won.” Owain replied. “Speaking of, shouldn’t you be preparing the soldiers instead of bothering me?”

“Hrmmm, I suppose you’re right there.” Ieuan said, but made no motion to leave. Instead he stood drumming his fingers against the hilt of his sword distractedly as he stared over Owain’s shoulder. “I think we have our target.”

Owain turned back out to the sea and there it was. A smudge on the horizon that foretold the imminent appearance of land amidst the blue.

“You’re welcome.” Ieuan said behind him in a smile evident in his voice. Owain looked back at Ieuan but he was already dramatically turning on his heel, a little unsteadily in all his armour, and marched off.

That smudge on the horizon steadily grew closer as the wind propelled Owain’s flotilla towards it and cliffs and beaches coalesced out of the blur. They were, in turn, quickly followed by small houses whose chimneys gently puffed trails of smoke and the bobbing masts of fishing boats. It was a pastoral scene as one might hope for, only broken by the stone-built bulk of Castle Cornet that guarded the harbour. In soon became apparent too that their arrival had evidently not gone unnoticed in town or castle. People ran this way and that between the houses, most of them soon vanishing from sight but a handful who gleamed brightly in the sun were hurrying down to the waterfront.

It was the castle that would be the only stumbling block in the occupation of the island. Where the island in general seldom mustered any resistance at all, Castle Cornet and Castle Vale had defied French invasion before and Owain was not foolhardy enough to try to take it on from sea. Instead, Owain and his army were heading for a beach further along the coast where they could make a safe landing. In the mean time, the fleet just had to stay far enough away from…

An almighty splash shattered the focus in the air as a plume of spray erupted within a hundred yards of Owain’s vessel. Two more quickly followed, both falling into the sea well short, to complete the warning catapult from the castle. Owain couldn’t help but smile at this beginning, war had not yet lost its thrill. He drew his sword and turned away from the edge of the deck.

“I think that’s our cue to make some noise!” He cried, raising his sword skywards. The rows of Welshmen and Frenchmen on the deck in front of him clashed their weapons and shields together producing rolling peals of thunder as they did so. This continued for minutes as they sailed past the castle, just out of range and drew closer, guided in by their helmsmen, to the landing beach. Only then did it stop as his men readied to disembark.

And so they made landfall with little difficulty in the end, Castle Cornet offering no more than warning shots to block their progress. The beach that they had chosen was roughly a mile from Castle Cornet and utterly devoid of Englishmen as Owain and his warband waded ashore through the surf. All that stood between them and the fields of Guernsey was a row of fishing boats, pulled up hours ago by night-fisherman before Owain’s ships were even a blot on the clear sky. Indeed, had their owners known of the impending arrival of an invading army, they might well have reconsidered their boats’ safe harbour to prevent them being used as they were being now, as improvised defences. The first of Owain’s soldiers who had crunched their way up the sand dunes now fanned out behind the fishing boats, archers sticking their arrows into the sand ready and men-at-arms polishing their French bought weapons for something to do. Behind them, Owain and Ieuan directed the rest of the disembarking men and before long the golden sands of the beach were obscured by the silver of cold iron, the brown of damp wood and the bright colours of banners and pennants. Soldiers mingled with sailors, both temporarily pressed into service as labourers as they carried supplies slowly, but surely, ashore.

“Is there such a thing as too easy?” Ieuan called over passing heads to Owain, his jovial tone undercut with just a hint of anxiety. “I know we said this would be easy but…” He trailed off lamely.

“Calm yourself brother!” Owain called back “Maybe if you weren’t so cocky before, you’d have some confidence left now!”

Ieuan chuckled sportingly but Owain knew he wouldn’t appreciated being reminded of his mid-action nerves, it was a sore point for his otherwise irrepressible steward.

“And to that I say, remember how serious you were.” Ieuan pulled a mock severe expression before cracking into a grin. Owain rolled his eyes and went back to instructing his men.

It took them a good hour to finally fully disembark, an hour in which nothing threatened to hinder their progress. When at last the final barrel of salted pork had been dumped unceremoniously on the sand by a now exhausted sailor, Owain was deep into planning with his officers.

“Its simple really, I will take the main force and the fleet back to Saint Peters Port and Castle Cornet and besiege them.” He began, pointing at the marker on the map of Guernsey that had been laid across the top of a barrel under a makeshift planning tent. “Ieuan, take a second force and besiege Castle Vale.” Owain continued, pointing a second marker further round the coast. “And the rest of you, split the remaining men between you and make sure the rest of the island is under our control.” He concluded, looking at his other officers. They promptly saluted and went to do his bidding. Ieuan lingered for a moment longer, looked Owain and the eyes and nodded once, a nod conveying both understanding and a message of good luck.

The march from beach to the quay opposite Castle Cornet was not a long one but the journey by sea was even shorter and the by the time Owain and his force had reached Saint Peter’s Port, his flotilla was anchored off shore, just out of range of the castle. Owain and his men, though, had no such luxury. Saint Peter’s Port was easily taken, the civilian population too used to French occupation to bother lifting a finger against them. The castle, though, that would be different story. Hardly a challenge, having been taken several times by French soldiers over the past decades, but the garrison at least had the guts than to surrender immediately. No, it would take three days.

Undermanned and cut off by land and sea, Castle Cornet did not put up any fight at all. Aside from a handful of catapult bombardments by either side and a volley of arrows if any Welshmen got too close, Castle Cornet went quietly into the good night. Its constable surrendered on the third day of Owain’s siege and its garrison marched out unmolested. By that time Castle Vale had already surrendered and the rest of island had been occupied the day that the Welsh had landed, leaving Guernsey now entirely in the control of Owain Lawgoch. That night, the hearth in Castle Cornet’s great hall was lit and a feast, of sorts, was had by all. Wine was poured, salted beef and pork were served as fancily as possible on pewter trays and a good time was had by all for a bloodless victory was rare indeed. The stage was set for Owain to reclaim his throne.

Through the dusk rode a lone man on his horse. Fresh off a boat from France, he wore a fleur de lis surcoat and was wrapped up in both hat and cloak against the sea chill. He reached Saint Peters’ Port, his horse’s hoovers clattering across the cobbles and down to the quay. He leapt down from his horse and tossed a coin at the nearest fisherman. “For your troubles.”

The fisherman caught the coin, nearly fumbling it into the sea, but was clearly at a loss.

“My troubles sir?”

The royal messenger, for that is what he was, pointed at Castle Cornet on his island. “To take me there my good man.”

Without waiting for a reply, the messenger hopped down into the fisherman’s boat and sat down whilst the fisherman just stood there and scratched his head.

“Right you are sir.” He finally said, confusion still evident in his tone. “To the big castle it is.”

The journey took a matter of minutes but on arrival the fisherman and his passenger were immediately accosted by 2 guards, some of the few not at the feast and distinctly unhappy about it.

“What the hell are you doing!” One guard, dressed in a simple leather jerkin, helmet and plain trousers and carrying a spear shouted at the fisherman. “You English were told to stay away from here.” The words were harsh in his Welsh accent and the fisherman, only ever a reluctant participant, quailed. The other guard, similarly dressed an also carrying a spear, looked like he was about to add further invectives to his fellow’s words but before he had the chance, the messenger leapt to his feet. The boat rocked wildly as he did so but he did not seem to notice as the fisherman tried to steady the ship.

“I am a messenger from Charles VI, By Grace of God, King of France, carrying royal commandments to your master Yvain de Galles.”
---​

“That was the end of that expedition and all other dreams besides. I have served the King all my days and this is how I die, the last son of my fathers.”
---​

No-one heard these final thoughts of Owain Lawgoch, Prince of Wales, as he died alone in France but many in Wales mourned his passing as the last hope of Welsh freedom seemed lost to an assassin's blade.
--------------------------------
Author's Note:
Some of you, even many of you, reading this may remember that for roughly 2 years I wrote on this board a TL called The Golden Dragon of Wales about this very topic, Owain Glyndwr winning his uprising. What some of you may also remember is that about 2 years of that time, the TL was mostly just stumbling along and it was eventually locked by Calbear. The idea of the TL and the implications of not just an independent Wales but also of no England and a divided British Isles has not left me though. And so, after some planning, some encouragement, and what I hope is 3, nearly 4, years of writing improvements, I'm here again to give it another go. We start, I think appropriately, we something a bit different and, as I used to say, I hope you all enjoy.​

Last edited:
Well, this is certainly exciting news to receive on Christmas Eve. I quite enjoyed your initial effort so I'll be sure to keep an eye on this one.

For a moment i thought this was to be a companion TL to Ddarig Aur but seems is a reboot, you should have keep the old name, good luck with this one

It is here!!!!
This is all your doing! :p
Well, this is certainly exciting news to receive on Christmas Eve. I quite enjoyed your initial effort so I'll be sure to keep an eye on this one.
Good to see you back, hopefully I don't disappoint!
For a moment i thought this was to be a companion TL to Ddarig Aur but seems is a reboot, you should have keep the old name, good luck with this one
I did consider keeping the old name but found it a little unwieldy and obscure. Maybe a Shakespeare quote is too but it seemed appropriate.
I so far liked and watched with interest.
Thank you!
That seems an awful lot of troops for such a small number of transports.

Well I certainly did.
Enjoy it, that is.
Looking forward to more.
That is a good point. I admit medieval transport capacity is not my forte and my attempt at some research on it yielded some frustrating vaguely answers. I'll make an edit soon, hopefully today.

Thank you!

I admit medieval transport capacity is not my forte and my attempt at some research on it yielded some frustrating vaguely answers.
Not my thing either.
'Frustratingly vague answers' is a polite way of summing up my attempts to find more accurate numbers on men and ships for you.
The 'best' - ie an example closest in time and intent - I could find was John of Gaunt's 1386 expedition to Castille which was around 5000 men in eighty-six ships. Although Harfleur to Guernsey is a shorter distance and you could probably get away with cramming more men into fewer ships, a force of 8000 suggests an invasion fleet of well over one hundred ships.

Not my thing either.
'Frustratingly vague answers' is a polite way of summing up my attempts to find more accurate numbers on men and ships for you.
The 'best' - ie an example closest in time and intent - I could find was John of Gaunt's 1386 expedition to Castille which was around 5000 men in eighty-six ships. Although Harfleur to Guernsey is a shorter distance and you could probably get away with cramming more men into fewer ships, a force of 8000 suggests an invasion fleet of well over one hundred ships.
5000 men in 86 ships? How big were the ships?

5000 men in 86 ships? How big were the ships?
Good question. The short answer, I don't know.
A slightly longer answer: The information I gave came from two sources. The number of men came from the Wikipedia article on Gaunt. The ship number came from a 2013 book England's Medieval Navy 1066-1509 by Susan Rose. The 86 ships were supplemented by a "number" of Portuguese vessels. One of the cogs in England's navy c.1340's was 280 tuns (displacement?) and apparently that was a "mighty" vessel. A hulk used by Henry IV was of 200 tuns... They also used the barge-like balingers, and indeed barges. So ship size varied a lot. I have no idea how many men you could cram into a cog of 240 tuns.

A slightly longer answer: The information I gave came from two sources. The number of men came from the Wikipedia article on Gaunt. The ship number came from a 2013 book England's Medieval Navy 1066-1509 by Susan Rose. The 86 ships were supplemented by a "number" of Portuguese vessels. One of the cogs in England's navy c.1340's was 280 tuns (displacement?) and apparently that was a "mighty" vessel. A hulk used by Henry IV was of 200 tuns... They also used the barge-like balingers, and indeed barges. So ship size varied a lot. I have no idea how many men you could cram into a cog of 240 tuns.
Oh interesting, that is...well I can't see how that works out in my head

My experience trying to find out in nutshell. I've seen some claim as many as a 1000 men per ship while others far less, it honestly seems like no-one actually knows.

My experience trying to find out in nutshell. I've seen some claim as many as a 1000 men per ship while others far less, it honestly seems like no-one actually knows.
1000 per ship is pure EU4 logic. Medieval Military Transport Cogs could accommodate 45 - 70 travellers depending on the quality of wood.

Perhaps I should have asked this earlier: What is your source for Lawgoch having 8000 men in the Guernsey attack?
A good question to which there is a simple answer, I don't have really have one. Sources for Lawgoch and I used Walker's Medieval Wales which lacks anything in the way of numbers. Consider it an overenthusiastic chronicle writer (or I've edited it now). XD

Consider it an overenthusiastic chronicle writer
Whilst the annalists/chroniclers/historians are often our best (and only) source of information, they can be a bit 'wibbly-wobbly'.
I almost suggested something similar a couple of days ago ie your post could have stood if it was lifted from a 'history' but you wrote from Lawgoch's perspective and he should know how many men and ships he had.
Moot now because you have edited it... 21 ships and 800 men seems more reasonable.

Looking forward to more.

Chapter 1: Student at Law - Owain in London
Chapter 1: Student at Law - Owain in London

498px-Jean_Froissart%2C_Chroniques%2C_154v%2C_12148_btv1b8438605hf336%2C_crop.jpg

"Thou hast most traitorously corrupted the youth of the realm in erecting a grammar school."
- Shakespeare, Henry VI, Part 2

AD MCCCLXXVIII

It was not only in Wales that the news of Owain Lawgoch’s death was mourned. The end of independent Welsh princedoms after the final Edwardian defeat of Llywellyn the Last and conquest of Gwynedd had led to significant increase of both long-term and temporary immigrants into England. Some moved there to live and work, taking English names and doing their best to blend in against the heavy anti-Welsh discrimination, both legal and illegal. The conquest had also proved to have unexpected benefits for the nobility and gentry of Wales, scant benefits against the upheaval in their lives but benefits nonetheless. Newly brought into the power networks of the English nobility, they sent their sons, often under the protection or as proteges of English marcher lords, into England to study and learn the skills that their positions required at the great universities of Oxford and Cambridge or at the Inns of Court in London.

It is not surprising then that those three cities, despite being in the heartlands of the conqueror, were played hosts to informal wakes by the conquered. As the news arrived, filtered out from court by rumour and no doubt after some bribes changed hands, small gatherings of Welsh students met in together to mourn their last Prince. Few indeed would have known Lawgoch personally and none could have remembered an independent Welsh realm, but still they mourned the dream that he had represented. Many may well have gone onto achievements both terrible and great but their names are not recorded by history. All except for one, a 19-year-old Owain ap Gruffydd.

Born to Gruffydd Fychan II, Tywysog of Powys Fadog, Owain was the heir to two of the most noble lineages in Wales and one of its most noble princedoms. Powys Fadog was a successor to the Kingdom of Powys, one of the traditional three kingdoms of Wales, and in Owain ran the blood of the Princes of Deheubarth, Gywnedd and Powys. By the time of Owain’s birth, both his blood and his father’s title had passed beyond great relevance, their lustre lost except in ballads. Now, it was only their lands that carried value. Despite his young age, Owain, as well as being Prince of Powys Fadog (a purely honorary title), was the master of two estates at Glyndyfrdwy and Sycharth. These were not wealthy nor even particularly large but they still opened doors. Richard FitzAlan, 3rd Earl of Arundel and one of the greatest magnates in the land, possessed many estates in the Welsh Marches and, unlike many of his contemporaries took a keen interest in them. This was how Owain had first encountered the Earl as an ally of his father. That had turned into a wardship at Arundel’s seat at Arundel Castle and that, after the Earl’s death in 1376, into an apprenticeship at the Inns of Court as the protégé of Sir David Hanmer, a future Justice of the King’s Bench.

So here he was, a Welshman with impeccable connections, studying the law like any other son of the gentry. The White Hart was a common haunt for Owain and his compatriots at the Inns of Court, they were drawn by its Welsh landlord and its status a frequent watering hole for visiting Welshmen to the city. This brought them news from home and a taste of their homeland all rolled into one. That evening, though, Owain and his fellow students were gathered there for a particular reason.

“To Lawgoch!” One student, Owain thought he was called Rhys, called from the end of the table as he raised his tankard. His companions quickly followed suit and tankards, not to mention flying spittles of ale, filled the air. “To Lawgoch!” They answered, mostly in unison, before taking long swigs on their drinks. Owain looked around as he set his tankard down with a thud, the other patrons of the White Hart seemed to be ignoring their corner, either blissfully unaware who the students were remembering or wilfully so.

“To Lawgoch!” Went up the cry again, from a different student, Llywellyn, and once more the gathering raised their tankards in near unison. Owain mechanically joined in with the rest of them but looked around again at the rest of the tavern. It was a humble place, popular with the Welsh students at the Inns for exactly that reason, and only one entrance and exit on the other side of bar from where he was sat. The landlord was a fellow Welshman, another reason they came here, and kept them regularly supplied with fresh tankards of ale, as long as the coins were equally regular in the other direction. Unfortunately for Owain, that evening the coin was supplied by someone else.

“Not trying to leave already are you?” Owain’s neighbour, a boy from Cerdigion called Maredudd who was studying at Middle Temple, piped up.

“What? No, no, of course not.” Owain replied, then looked around himself again.

“Then what’s with the nerves? You keep looking around like a hunted rabbit.” Llywellyn teased, taking another swig from his tankard.

Owain swallowed, he wasn’t as subtle as he thought. Plastering a smile on his face, he looked at Llywellyn. “It just doesn’t seem like a good idea, tempting fate even.”

Llywellyn laughed. “Ha! Divine judgement?” He crossed himself zealously. “For drinking?” He added as he raised his tankard again.

“More like honouring a traitor under the nose of the king.” Owain snapped. “Hardly safe.”

“Ever the Earl’s lapdog aren’t you?” Llywellyn taunted and Owain sighed but did not answer. Instead, he stared into his drink, gently swirling his tankard as he did so. Being the protégé of the Earl of Arundel had its benefits, like being here in the first place, but his compatriots, all 6 of them, wouldn’t let him live it down.

“As long as you don’t blame me when we get caught.” Owain said at last, settling back on the bench they were sharing. “I’ll have one more.”

Predictably, one more quickly turned out to be several more and the warming of the ale banished, for the moment at least, Owain’s worries. Many more cries of ‘Lawgoch’ were heard in the White Hart before that night was out. Eventually they were turned out by landlord, long after the other patrons had deserted the tavern, and made their way home.
---

AD MCCCLXXXI

Owain was leaning heavily on his desk. Stuffed in the corner of the room used by an elderly lawyer, it was his to use as an apprentice in the Inner Temple but at that moment Owain was doing nothing more than trying not to fall asleep. It had been a late night pouring over precedents and the warmth of the day combined with a gentle breeze through a crack in the window left him struggling to stay awake. His master, sat at a larger, clearer and more easily accessible desk in the middle of the room, was having no such problems and sat scribbling away furiously with his quill.

“Tch, tch, stop leaning there like a half-dead ship.” He snapped without looking up from his scrawls. His black robes shifted as he spoke, giving the unsettling impression that it was they speaking instead of their wearer. Owain hastily pulled himself up and fumbled for his own quill and parchment, nearly knocking them both off his desk in the process.

“You’re all the same you are, fickle! One minute you want to work, the next you’re not even awake.” His master’s robes’ continued. Owain was pretty sure it was a hallucination but the illusion deepened when an arm thrust out of the robes wielding a sheaf of papers.

“Copy these up before you change your mind again.”

Owain sighed, but took the sheaf and took them down on his table. This took a little effort as he pushed rejected contracts and old notes out the way, sending them drifting off the desk to join their fellows on the floor. The new addition was no more interesting than the fallen comrades, the proceedings of an old customs that this master had worked on last week, easy money for his master, more work for Owain. He dipped his quill in his inkwell and started to write.

That particular sheaf of papers took at least an hour, as best as Owain could make out by the sun, and the by the time he had finished he was nearly asleep at his desk as his hand mechanically copied out the last of few lines. Finally done, he set down his quill and sat back, shaking out his writing hand against cramp, before the robes spoke again.

“Took you long enough boy.” Said his master’s voice and Owain gritted his teeth a little. “Some more papers for you, do them faster this time.” Once again an arm appeared out of the robes, waving a new sheaf of papers at Owain whilst the other hand kept on writing and his master stared down at his work. Owain twisted round, struggling to squeeze himself back out of his desk, but just as he reached out to take this second sheaf, he paused. From somewhere in the distance he could hear shouts, screams and the beat of marching feet.

“Can you hear that?” He asked his master, without thinking.

“Eh, what’s that boy? Not trying to make excuses I hope?” Said the robes that he was sure contained his master.

“No, sir, no.” Owain stammered quickly, regretting his words already. “But, er, listen sir.” Owain held up a finger and let the faint, but growing, sounds fill the room. “If I didn’t know better sir, I’d say there was a mob heading this way.”

“Ha.” The robes snorted, still without looking up. “As if you would know boy. All these years and you haven’t even mastered common law.”

Owain gritted his teeth again, he couldn’t deny his underperformance in the law but he was sure what he had heard. “With respect sir, surely you can hear it?” It would be just like his master to be deaf, he thought ruefully as the shouts, screams and tramping feet got louder and were joined by the bitter edge of smoke. “Or smell.”

The robes shifted. The quill stopped scratching. For the first time that day, his master looked up. Great white eyebrows dominated the wrinkled face, overshadowing his master’s eyes from their perch on the top of his bulbous nose. His master sniffed, one, twice, three times, then shook his head dismissively.

“Probably just some…”

He railed off lamely and waved the papers at Owain again, more insistently this time. Owain ignored them, instead climbing out from behind his desk and standing up. His master’s eyes widened a little and he dropped his quill.

“Sorry, sir.” Owain said quietly and span on his heel to leave. The dramatic gesture would be swiftly undercut, though, as he stumbled over a book on his way out the door.

Outside Owain saw that others shared his fears. Talk of an armed throng of peasants approaching, for what purpose no-one knew, had gripped London for days and now the gossip had been realised. If half of what Owain had heard was true then the hordes of Hell itself were heading for them. He pushed his way through huddles of students and lawyers whispering quietly in doorways and found himself in the courtyard. The warm sunshine that had been lulling him to sleep indoors was now contending with thick clouds of smoke that were only growing bigger. Outdoors the crowd of lawyers and students had spilled out across the courtyard but they remained in their nervous huddles, they might be experts in the common law of Edward I but they were not men of action. Owain looked around, panic creeping in a little as he scanned the crowd for any of his compatriots. He reflected briefly that they blended in well before he spotted Rhys and Llywellyn emerging from a doorway. He waved at them through the crowd and Rhys gave a wave back.

The three Welshmen huddled together amidst the rest of the crowd.

“Do you know what’s happening?” Llywellyn asked and gestured vaguely behind him. “They seem to think some man called Tyler is on the war path with a gang of brigands.” Llywellyn ended with a forced chuckle that did nothing to hide the nerves.

“What, come to aggressively retile the roofs?” Responded Rhys, a more genuine grin on his face.

Llywellyn elbowed him in the ribs in response and glared at him. “Take this seriously idiot. I don’t know what they want but it can’t be good.”

Owain nodded along but, thinking hard, offered nothing by way of a response.

“Fine, serious.” Rhys replied, forcing the grin off his face. “What can we do about it?”

Llywellyn looked at Owain who shrugged. “We could leave?”

“Er, I think we might not have a choice in that.” Rhys was staring behind Owain.

There was a crash against the gates of the courtyard and Owain and Llywellyn looked behind them. The crowd had gone quiet, staring in shock at the gates as it shuddered on its hinges and started to splinter.

“Let us in! Let us in rich boys!” A hoarse cry came from the other side of the door, accompanied by raucous laughter. The gates shook again. And again. And again. The courtyard resounded to the noise of axes meeting wood. The crowd thinned, there was nowhere to go but still went where they could, back through the doors and up stairs, looking for somewhere to hide. Again the gates shook, again, again. Suddenly the Inns of Court had become a castle under siege. Someone called out to ask where the town guard were but was met only with the repeating crashes.

Owain, Llywellyn and Rhys backed up until they met the wall. “What do we do now?” Rhys hissed. “Pray.” Owain hissed back. “Or run.” Added Llywellyn. “Run where?” Rhys replied.

The gates were splintering now, the planks, not designed for a sustained act, giving way under the barrage of axe blows.

“Upstairs?” Owain whispered. “Smoke remember.” Llywellyn responded. “They’re burning buildings idiot.”

Only the lock, sturdy even as the wood around them broke, was holding the gates together now. Arms wielding axes, pitchforks, harpoons, came through the gaps, waving their weapons at anyone who had been foolish enough to stay close to the gate.

“Or we fight?” Rhys’ voice had a surprising steel to it.

The gate finally gave way completely and the mob poured in.​

The worried murmurings and huddles gave way to shouts and chaos. Lawyers and apprentices were rapidly lost beneath a tide of armed peasants. Owain from his position pressed against the far wall of the courtyard, waited for screams and the iron scent of blood to join the shouts and smoke but it did not come. The peasants were violent and almost certainly drunk but seemed to have no interest in killing the inhabitants of the Inns of Court. Instead, they barged their way through the crowd, pushing down some of the more elderly lawyers but otherwise leaving them unharmed. Reaching the doors into the building, they pushed their way into the still-crowded corridors and headed inside.

“I said we had to fight didn’t I?” Rhys hissed, stumbling backwards towards Owain. He turned to look at his friend and Owain could see shock in his face.

“Watch out!” Owain cried as one of the mob separate himself from the mass and headed towards them wielding a pitchfork. Rhys span round, his student robes giving the movement all the drama of a passion play, and held his hands up in front of him.

“Stay calm.” He said, fear and forced composure battling in his voice. “You don’t need to do this.”

The advancing peasant sneered back. It was a strange expression on the dirt smeared and pockmarked face and only served to show his rotting teeth to the world. “Do what posh boy? You think we’re going to kill you?” He laughed, a short and harsh laugh that gave way to coughing. Wiping his mouth, the peasant looked back at Rhys. “Hand over the money, I know you rich boys always carry your purses.” He finished the performance with a jab of pitchfork, forcing Rhys to jump back.

“Easy now.” Rhys responded and reached inside his robes. As he did so, Owain, from his position behind Rhys, looked around the courtyard. The man with the pitchfork was right, across the courtyard many of his fellows were handing over their money pouches and from the building behind him the sounds of rooms being ransacked and furniture being smashed. Owain breathed out, it might cost them but they were going to be fine.

“Aaaargh!”

Rhys snapped back into focus, screaming. His body crumpled forwards, collapsing to the floor. Blood leaked out around his fallen body, staining the cobbles. Owain stood frozen against the wall, staring at the pitchfork. It shook in the man’s hands like a branch in the wind as blood dripped down from it like the gentle fall of rain. The sounds of the courtyard were gone as Owain focussed on nothing but the twin spikes in front of him.

“I didn’t…” The peasant stuttered, all bravado gone. “I didn’t mean to.”

The noise. The sounds, the smells, it all came rushing back. Shouts, screams, smoke and blood.

“You bastard!” Owain lunged forwards, sidestepping Rhys’ body and the pitchfork before seizing its shaft. The peasant man stood frozen in place as Owain yanked downwards, wrenching the pitchfork from his grasp. “You damn bastard!”

Owain raised the pitchfork, blunt-end first, and smashed it into the man’s face. He fell backwards, sprawling across the cobblestones.

“He was too slow!” The peasant cried, pleading. “I didn’t mean to!”

Owain grimaced and raised the pitchfork for another strike. “That doesn’t help now does it?” He tried to bring his weapon down but he couldn’t, the pitchfork meeting a hand in the air.

“Don’t.” Owain had forgotten that Llywellyn was standing next to him. He had stuck out his arm, grasping the end of the pitchfork. “Look around you.”

Owain did so. The courtyard had become a battlefield. Lawyers and students wrestled with the mob, but it was never a fair fight. They were either too old, too young or too bookish to really fight back. That hadn’t stopped them trying of course but that didn’t improve their odds.

“See? We need to get out of here.” Owain paused, tried to pull the pitchfork out of Llywellyn’s grip once, twice but Llywelyn held firm. “You can’t help him either Owain.”

Owain didn’t remember what happened next. Llywellyn’s arm around his shoulders. The smoke. Llywellyn hauling him through the courtyard. The screams. Hurrying through the gateway. The blood. Stumbling down the street, leaning on Llywellyn. The flames flickering in the window as they looked back.

--------------------------------
Author's Note:
Took longer to produce the second chapter than I thought, work got in the way. Hopefully its worth the wait though now that our main character has entered the stage. Don't worry either, I won't be going through Owain's entire life scene by scene, we'll fast forward to the beginning of it all with the deposition of Richard II next time out. So, as I always say, I hope you enjoy!

Last edited: