Underused American Political PODs/Scenarios?

What are some forgotten American political scenarios?

I typically see very little about Harry Truman or the 50s, for example (unless it involves Nixon).

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
How about the deal where Truman seized steel mills during the Korean War?

His administration tried to broker a deal between the union and the companies. The agreement fell through, and citing risk to war production, he directed his Secretary of Commerce to take control of 87 major steel mills. After the companies sued, the Supreme Court said Truman could not do this. He respected the Court and went along with the decision.

So, maybe a pro-union wank where unions have a bigger influence today in 2014 than they even had in the 1950s.

Or alternatively, unions have even a rougher time than in OTL but . . . because of external factors, there end up being plenty of middle-class jobs and things economically work out really well. I mean, sometimes you just get lucky.

Riain

Banned
As a non American I'd humbly suggest that there are no unused American political pods, every sublte combination is pored over at length.

Laos could be of interest.
Depending on how worse it goes in the late 50s maybe its feasible we see a military intervention on the part of the US.

Just spitballing here:

-Humphrey Wins in 1968
-Gary Hart isn't caught Cheating
-Nixon elected California Governor in 1962
-Bush Assassinated in Georgia in 2005
-Reagan Assassinated 1981
-Nixon assassinated by Bremer in 1972
-Charles Evans Hughes elected 1916
-Leonard Wood elected in 1920
-Gonzalez Wins SF Mayoral election 2003
-Monica Lewinsky Never becomes a White House Intern
-No Chappaquidic Incident
-McCain as the GOP nominee in 2000
-Warren G. Harding lives
-Someone other than Reagan as the GOP nominee in 1980
-Henry Cabot Lodge as the GOP nominee in 1964
-Senator/Governor David Duke
-Governor Bill Bradley of California
-Bob Dole Beats Bush in the 1988 NH Primary (Something that I think would be really interesting)

Edit: One more: Dewey squeaks by in 1948. Truman returns for a rematch in 1952...

I think anything involving 1988 is severely underused. It's such an odd American election year because a Democrat could have won it, and it could have been a Democrat besides Dukakis, and you could even derail the Bush campaign and have another Republican get the nomination.

1988 is a forgotten area of the overlap of the Republican 80s and the Democratic 90s of the OTL. I think the only timeline that really used it was the Biden timeline. A lot of interesting stuff can be done with it. You can get Clinton 1988 or have Trump be a Republican running mate, have the head of the ticket get off'd and then you get President Trump, not to mention Dukakis becoming president.

Arguably, 1996. 1992 and 2000 especially both have been considered a ton but a Dole victory is just never contemplated with any interest. Also, people almost never have the initial POD be an election other than presidential.

I could be wrong but I don't think there are many political timelines or PODs about American politics during the Gilded Age (post-Civil War but pre-Progressive Age). I think there's a lot of unused potential there such as
-The Impeachment of Andrew Johnson
-No purchase of Alaska
-The Election of 1872
-The Compromise of 1877
-Winfield Scott Hancock being elected President in 1880
-Ulysses S. Grant seeking a third term in 1880
-The Garfield Assassination
-The Election of 1888
-Britain and American go to war over the Venezuela Boundary Crisis
-The Election of 1896
-Theodore Roosevelt not being selected for VP in 1900

Edit: Also some pre-Civil War age POD's
-There is no Missouri Compromise
-Andrew Jackson winning the Presidency in 1824
-John Quincy Adams winning a second term in 1828
-Andrew Jackson assassinated during his Presidency
-The Nullification Crisis gets out of hand
-William Henry Harrison wears a coat during his inauguration
-William Henry Harrison selects a different VP than John Tyler
-Texas loses the Texan Rebellion
-War over the 54'40 boundary
-No Mexican-American War

Last edited:
1788: The Philadelphia Convention adopts a "zero compromise"; instead of counting three-fifths of slaves for apportionment of taxation or representation, slaves are not counted at all for both. This affects apportionment of Congress and electoral votes.

1823: William Crawford dies of his stroke, and does not run in 1824. This throws his OTL support to Clay, Adams, or Jackson. Adams or Jackson might win an electoral majority, averting the controversial election by the House.

1824: Henry Clay finishes third in electoral votes, and is eligible for election by the House.

Democrats never adopt the 2/3 requirement for nomination.

Democrats repeal the 2/3 requirement for nomination before 1844 (when a deadlock led to the nomination of "dark horse" James Polk).

... before 1860 (when Southern holdouts barred the nomination of Steph Douglas).

... before 1912 (when Champ Clark had a majority on the 10th ballot, but Woodrow Wilson was nominated on the 46th ballot).

1841: William Henry Harrison survives and completes his term. (Four solid years of a genuine Whig in power, instead Democrat maverick John Tyler, who broke with the Whigs in 1842.)

1854: Abraham Lincoln is elected to the Senate. (He was a leading candidate, but withdrew in favor of Free-Soil Democrat Lyman Trumbull, who became a Republican.)

1858: Abraham Lincoln is elected to the Senate. (The Democrats held a narrow majority of legislative seats and re-elected Stephen Douglas.)

1929-1950: There is no Great Depression, and the Solid South breaks down a generation sooner. (Republicans made their first gains in the South since Reconstruction in the 1920s. But these gains were swept away in the Roosevelt landslides; the process restarted in the 1950s.)

1987: Reagan mounts an effective defense of Robert Bork, who is confirmed to the Supreme Court. Important knock-on for U.S. politics: Bork would have ruled the other way in U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, a 5-4 decision.

Very little is done with alternate running mates for Goldwater in 1964. The problem with taht from what I've seen is its such a wild card because no one seems to know what made Goldwater tick or why he chose Miller. William Miller didn't drive Johnson nuts because LBJ would have no idea who he was. And the problem is, no one wanted to run with Goldwater because they had ambitions of their own or Goldwater would taint them, or both. Hence why William Scranton wouldn't run with him. Not to mention the people Goldwater didn't want to run with him. Nelson Rockefeller was out, and Goldwater didn't think a woman was fit to be VP, so no Margaret Chase Smith.

Would like to see Monica Lewinsky Never becomes a White House Intern, Gary Hart isn't caught Cheating, and McCain as the GOP nominee in 2000.

* Joe Kennedy jr did not die in WW2

* George W Bush became baseball commissioner instead of running for Gov of Texas

*Jesse Jackson Jr decided to run for US Senate from Illinois in 2004 so Obama decides not to run

*Mario Cuomo decided to run for President in 1988

* Ike decided to run as a Democrat in 52 instead of as a Republican

*Hillary divorced Bill after Monica instead of staying with him ...or she divorced hi..I. 92 during the campaign over Gennifer Flowers

I keep thinking of doing a Bush Assassination 2005 TL, but then remember that my current TL is still on hold so... yeah.

One scenario I find fascinating is the Democrats becoming the party of the " right" and the Republicans the party of the " left." in US politics. At the turn of the 20th century there were progressive and conservative forces in both parties, and alignments could very well have been different. It would be tricky, but I think it's doable with the right changes.

Japhy

Banned
There are zero underused American Political Scenarios on this site. In the past decade everything has been done, twice.

Everyone who ran has won, everyone who could have run has run, everyone who could have died has died and everyone who could have lived has lived.