Underestimated countries

Superdude

Banned
I say Canada, but for a different reason than most.

Who else has beat the s*** out of the US on the open fields of battle twice, and has never been defeated by the US later?

Not victory through politics (guerilla warfare). Not victory through economics (strategic resources). Victory through plain military might.

That's why I support US-Canadian unification. Once we combine, Canada can teach us how to fight so together we'll be invincible!

That, and they can no longer threaten to invade us with their awsome military prowess. It makes me nervous, how they just... lurk up there.

Sarcasm, hopefully.

Edit: Nevermind, definitely. My mistake.

-Siam. It would be interesting to see it be way more advanced. Perhaps even a reconquista of French Indo-China once WW1 starts! (Well, they were always friends with Germany, and definetly didn't like the French.) With them, who knows? A Germany wins WW1 scenario?
-Whats with Russia losing all the time?
-We need Mexico! And more of LA in general.

Hapsburg

Banned
Empire of Mali.
That state had a lot of potential, especially in the way of its gold reserves. If it survived into the renaissance and beyond, there's the possibility of them making large imports of gunpowder weapons and still having large amounts of gold in their coffers to supply and fund a large enough army to be a player in the world sphere. Especially if they dominate west Africa's coasts and build a large enough navy.

Empire of Mali.
That state had a lot of potential, especially in the way of its gold reserves. If it survived into the renaissance and beyond, there's the possibility of them making large imports of gunpowder weapons and still having large amounts of gold in their coffers to supply and fund a large enough army to be a player in the world sphere. Especially if they dominate west Africa's coasts and build a large enough navy.
I could kiss you right now.

Ireland...

This is likely no surprise for those who have read my posts, but I'd like to see Ireland as something other than a spot labled "British Empire" or a footnote about a revolt. I've tried to find a way to make it a great power, and not found a good one--but please--as a significant nation--more often!

I could kiss you right now.

You could kiss anybody at any time.

This is likely no surprise for those who have read my posts, but I'd like to see Ireland as something other than a spot labled "British Empire" or a footnote about a revolt. I've tried to find a way to make it a great power, and not found a good one--but please--as a significant nation--more often!

I started to do such a thing. Kinda. In a way.

Perhaps a surviving Kingdom of Dublin that takes over the island, and eventualy leaves a strong naval tradition on the Island, perhaps even some kind of Hiberno-Norse surviving unified nation that can hold off English advances?

Grey Wolf

Donor
I WANNA SEE A TIMELINE WHERE PAREGUAY WINS THE WAR OF THE TRIPLE-ALLIANCE AND BECOMES A WORLD SUPERPOWER, A MORE HUMANE DRAKA OF SOUTH AMERICA OF SORTS

I believe you will find Paraguay doing that in 'A Plethora of Princes'. They also do, albeit with help from the Kingdom of Peru, in the San Martin timeline that is the background for Peru in ME:TESB in the Shared World's forum.

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

This might seem obvious from me, but... the Dutch! An economic power house long before London became anything - why else would the Spanish leapfrog over France to get there? - the low countries usually only show up as tiny specks of orange in Europe and Indonesia in AH maps, until the Germans roll over them in WWi &/or WWII.

I have an AH weakness for three nations nowadays: the Netherlands, Poland, and Czechia. Can't really explain it, but I enjoy seeing them do well.
And now I have an idea for a wank thread about a Dutch-Polish-Czech alliance.

Canada. If they had more people, and weren't weak and lily-livered, they could be a power. Also, the Inca.

I take exception to the weak and lily-livered comments, especially on the 90th anniversary of Vimy ridge, which none of the other "strong, brave" Allies managed to take...

Pacific N.West Amerind cultures... culturally richer and more diverse than even Europe, abundant natural resources, lots of islands to encourage a naval tradition.

are their chances in hell or someplace at all?

a lot of the posts here wants to see obscure people like (the last 2 posts, no offence I'd love to read TL about them, but they would be far far fetched) who as I see has between slim and none chances of making it up to the big league (btw Slim went home) cause of their natural resources or lack of them, or cause they have an rather unruly population or their neighbours are pretty savage or just cause they are to far from the center of civilization to make an impact on the world as a hole and I belive we can all agree on TL's with a rather limited geograpical impact can be boring. (Exepct the giant City-State of Plovdiv as seen on page 1, that would have been someting else)

And as for India, I believe that in ATL's there is a lot of people think it up Indian empires under other names, but none of them are looking remotely like the one we know. Because if it hadn't been for the redcoats they would still divided into sultanates, theocracies and duchies or whatever.

Persia is under rated, if it hadn't been for the muslims, there would still have been a mighty Persia no matter what the rest of the world would have been up to.

Armenia could also have done well for themselves under the right circumstances.

Paraguay could have been a major player on the southern continent if they hadn’t been slaughtered by the triple alliance.

Poland..... there is an old German saying, if two people argue about nothing and irrelevant minor details "They are fighting over the polish crown"

someone said the Dutch . I’ll have to agree on that, they could have made a mighty merchant empire spanning the world if it wasn’t for the old English foreign policy of always being against who ever is the mightiest on the continent.

Turkestan, would have been fun, they would probably have ended up as slaughtering usurpers like the ottomans.

The Khmer, anyone know why the left the stage? (Same as the Mayans maybe)

Zanzibar, they should have just cooperated with the portugese and who knows where that would have taken them (forget I said "just")

Saxony and Bavaria why don’t they get their place in the sun?
Prussia came form the outside being volksdeutchers and snatching the German empire in front of their noses. the decadent multicultural Habsburg empire had to fall sometime anyway.

Novgorod, they could have beaten Muscowy in the quest for the Russian crown had they just dropped being a republic. Republics are notoriously corrupt. A Novgorodian rus king would have whooped all other Russian throne predents.

Milan they should have seized the chance after the black plague and claimed the Italian throne. They survived rather unscathed IIRC

Please don't agree with me...

Last edited:

Leo Caesius

Banned
And as for India, I believe that in ATL's there is a lot of people think it up Indian empires under other names, but none of them are looking remotely like the one we know. Because if it hadn't been for the redcoats they would still divided into sultanates, theocracies and duchies or whatever.

Persia is under rated, if it hadn't been for the muslims, there would still have been a mighty Persia no matter what the rest of the world would have been up to.

Turkestan, would have been fun, they would probably have ended up as slaughtering usurpers like the ottomans.

Prussia came form the outside being volksdeutchers and snatching the German empire in front of their noses. the decadent multicultural Habsburg empire had to fall sometime anyway.

Please don't agree with me...
Welcome to the forum. I can tell that you're going to make a big splash here.

The thing I don't understand about South America and AH is that people seem to feel that the only two options for the continent are "INCAN" or "SPANISH", with a Portuguese Brazil always sitting there. Why don't people approach South America simply as a southern North America? Meaning, of course, that multiple colonial powers give it a shot and have success. South America would be far more exciting if Dutch Brazil and Portuguese Brazil allied to fight the British Venezuela-Spanish Argentina-Danish Guiana alliance, with German Patagonia acting as a neutral mediator. Cultural diversity is the only thing it lacks.

Thailand, Indonesia, and most of SE Asia seem to be severely underrepresented except as colonial pains or China/Japan-wank lands.

Arabia, too, seems to always end up as part of the Ottoman Empire, "The Caliphate", or a colonial European power. Nobody does much else besides that with the Middle East.

Underused countries? Italy and most African States have a lot of potential, only Italy is always used as a bit part player in some other tl and the African states are only ever mentioned in relation to European Empires.