Turtledove has a tradition of doing blurbs in turtledove threads (you know, the one that you linked). You might want to do that.

Shells of Conspiracy
Kazan Qween Nur-Sultan   Нюр-Солтан  казанская ханбика (в русской терминологии - царевна).jpeg

Muharram 845 ( 1441)
Sarai, Golden horde

"......and so the Shehzade was able to rescue the Shehzadi from the clutches of the evil dragon and lived happily ever after." Samiu'n finished the story book and looked at his young grandson Albag.

"Dade, I wonder how the dragon was able to imitate the shehzadi and had the hero fooled for a while." Albag asked him intently.

"Ah, there are people who may appear as good on the outside but are evil and rotten on the inside. So we must be careful when choosing people as friends." Samiu'n replied.

"Assalam my dear grandson, enjoying Storytime with Grandfather?" Qizil hatun entered the room and cuddled Albag.

"Yes Aje [1], Dade here was telling me story about Shehzade and the dragon!" Albag exclaimed whilst squirming a bit under the elder woman's embrace.

"By Allah, one day you will be a great Shehzade. Now run along, I have important matters to discuss with your grandfather here." Qizil ruffled the boy's head one last time as the spirited youngster sprinted out of the room.

"So what is the matter, Qamkors(guardian) Qizil?" samiu'n asked as he prepared to drink from a glass.

"Nothing much, how are you gonna dress up for today's invitation at Khan's palace?"

Samiu'n nearly choked on his drink but was able to hold on the last moment.
"How come I don't know anything about it? I am the Beklar Beg. Who told you anyway?"

"Perhaps, my nephew didn't want you at his party, but I don't understand. Olej, his right hand is practically your best friend. So it is indeed starnge that his messenger told me and not you."
Qizil quipped.

"I think you shouldn't go to his party." the Rus man spoke. His inquisitive look turned into one of anticipation and....fear?

"Why? Isn't it dishonorable for a regent to decline her Khan's invitation? And let's not forget that I am his aunt too."

"Qizil, you are not going to the invitation."
Samiu'n spoke firmly as he placed his hand upon Qizil's shoulder.

"Is there something I don't know, dear?" Qizil spun around and practically grabbed Samiu'n by his arms.

Samiu'n knew that something was off, either this invitation was a ruse or Khan and his cohorts were doing something without consulting him. Worse, what if they excluded him from their plan? But one thing was sure, there was no turning back now, Qizil sure knew a thing or two about their 'plan' to end her influence in the Horde government.

"Umm, Khan Jalaluddin, your nephew was tired of you. He was infuriated with your constant meddling in state affairs. So he and some others conspitred together to end your regency." Samiu'n spoke as he averted his gaze downwards. He couldn't look her in the eyes.

"Eyes on the face, not on the chest! Although I suppose you are amongst this 'some other' conspirators, right?" Qizil was shaking her husband with gritted teeth.

"They uh, they wanted to exile you. I protested. Then my spy told me that they were planning your fate in my absence. I was out of their scheme totally and I understood that they were not telling me everything. Since then I didn't hear from him, probably he's captured or has been lying dormant."

"Hmm since you are so concerned about my life that you forbid me from going to Khan's invitation, I believe I should give you another chance. But since you were amongst the initial conspirators plotting my downfall as a regent, I shall punish you. You will no longer be Beklar beg. You are nothing but my husband, exiled prince sure. But nothing other than that. Now sit on the cushion."
Qizil spoke with venom in her voice as she went to the door.

Contrary to Samiu'n's expectation she locked it and returned to him. She sat on the cushion as well and wrapped her hands around him. Her powerful gaze never wavering as she spoke:
"I think I need to remind you of your place. as for your friends and my nephew, I have made up my mind but don't ask, you'll see for yourself. Now about you, though we are quite old, you looking at my chest stirred something in me which I haven't felt for a long time. Suit yourself, darling."

"But I wasn't looking-"
the old man was cut off and gasped as he felt Qizil kissing his neck.

When he was younger Samiu'n often imagined himself as those heroes rescuing shehzadis from the kid storybooks. But here he was the one needed rescuing, for his 'shehzadi' was actually no better than a dragon beast. Only this time, this is not a mere illusion.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Kaiser I Rum
by Tariq Fakhruddin
(Translation by Wilhelm Jager,
Weinberg publications 1411 AH)

A prince's first shot
Emir Sultan Hz leri, Sultan Çelebi Mehmet için Dua edişi ve kılıç kuşanma töreni.jpeg.jpg

5 Rabiul Awwal, 845,,(1 August, 1441)
Somewhere in Bursa

The forest was alive with sounds of various creatures as the morning sun gradually began its ascent to the highest point in sky. Squirrels, rabbits and deer all went about their businesses as birds drowned the forest with their cacophony of various tones. But even in all this noise, the animals remained vigilant. There can be no option to staying careful.

As a Rabbit understood when an arrow flew past it and got stuck on a tree. It quickly broke into a sprint as with most animals in that part of the forest whilst birds sounded the call for alarm. The hunting dogs of Shehzade Muhammad gave chase, the game was on.

"Ah, just for a bit. I almost had it." groaned Batyr as his friend Muhammad chuckled.

"Don't worry Batyr, they say that every single failure as a hunter hones your skill further. And you missed the rabbit by a short margin. If it was a human I doubt it would have been that lucky." the prince replied.

"Well we are not hunting humans." Batyr replied.

"Not like that, hunting is a rehearsal for our battle where we will shoot bigger and tougher targets. Well even if the dogs return empty 'pawed', I doubt we can call our day bad." Muhammad now looked at the other prey that were being loaded upon horses by the men. Two deer and 3 rabbits, not a bad haul for one day.

The forest was back to being quiet. But it was soon broken by sound of hooves. The retinue of Muhammad were spooked but calmed down as they saw the horsemen carrying Sultan's banner.

A young man dismounted and slightly bowed,
"My shehzade, Zaganos bey at your service. Your father, our Sultan has called upon you and unfortunately we must be on our way. There can be no delay as the Sultan was strict in his orders."

"aww we can't haul back our kills. Ugh, let's just take a rabbit. So we are leaving right now?"
Batyr asked as an apprehensive Muhammad mounted his horse.

"Yes, Batyr effendi. Sultan was firm and specific in his orders. Iskandar pasha[2] has arranged our journey to be safe. And by Allah after the next day we shall be at the capital." Zaganos replied.

Soon the two group of horsemen separated as the new arrivals accompanied Shahzade Muhammad and Batyr Aslan.

"You know we have karavan sarais on the way right, Batyr?" Muhammad asked as he was curious why his friend brought the rabbit with him.

"Yes, Muhammad but I wasn't gonna let go of a perfect smoked rabbit. There's a certain appeal to this meal." Batyr replied as he kept his eyes on the road.

The road to Konstantinyye, which will change both his and his friend's life forever.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Jurchen-Korean Relation and Ming entry in Manchuria

After 3 decades of absence from Manchuria, the Ming again began undertaking efforts to secure their northern borders once and for all from the threat of Aqbars Khanate in 824 AH (1421). This ensured that at least part of the newly Islamized Manchu people were on the Chinese side. Hui lords who ruled the north often showered the Jurchen tribes with gifts and intermarried with them. The Ming administration was glad to have Hui Muslims on their side as it would be better if someone from the same faith can persuade the unruly tribes into siding with mandate of Heaven. Thus while Jurchens would raid Joseon territory, they would leave largely leave Chinese alone. But not all were so appreciative of Ming. Uriankhai Mongols resisted the Ming incursion and fought many battles with their Jurchen brethren for control of the region. Eventually the Uriankhai were defeated and most were pushed north by the Jianzhou Jurchens under Gerodo, a tribe leader who married into Jochid line. But some lingered on in Liaodong who were later supported by Muhammad Sultan's heir Saad Waqqas (popularly known as Abu Qaisar).
The Huns receiving tributes from the Han Chinese.jpeg

Image: Ming officials in a Jurchen chieftain's court(art circa 1200 AH)

As Hongxi emperor started his reforms and financial curbs in 828 (1425), many border officials were now unhappy as they missed on the trade revenue and flow in their areas. The north was particularly hit hard as Hui officials were unable to provide the Jurchens with gifts and and riches. the Jurchens now resorted to banditry again but now Hui warlords began to acquire Jurchen troops for their own personal gains. The rest of the Jurchens were unable to stay in Liaodong anymore as the previously cornered Uriankhai began reasserting their dominance in the region, cutting off the Jurchens into eastern and western branch. the western Jurchens were the standard bearers of their Hui employers. The eastern Jurchens, now facing hostilities from both their western brethren and Chinese retreated east and began raiding Joseon Korea again.
3e4c07e395883fa106bbaceb4c77d042.jpg

Image: Jurchen raid in a Korean village

Sejong the great, one of the best emperors in Korean history wanted to solve this problem by military means. In 834 (1431), He sent Kim Jongseo against Motuyo of the 'wild' Jurchens. Kim defeated Jurchen and allied Uriankhai tribes and was able to reach Songhua river. but the pyrrhic nature of his victory forced him to negotiate with the nomads and ensured their loyalty against other nomads in exchange for money and land. The Jurchens, having no other options agreed. Soon Jurchens would find their way into the main Joseon army for their excellent horsemanship and also because the Koreans were lacking in strong land armies. This however created problems as the Muslim Jurchens, despite being almost half pagan and avid drinkers still insisted on praying congregations in the army outposts where they were stationed. After 830 (1427), Muslim practices were banned in Korea but Islam was reinvigorated after Jurchen introduction in the army.
26c01421-7181-415d-a604-0abff2291ab2.jpeg

Image: Jurchen Hand gunners and their Joseon commander (art circa 1300 AH)

Wary of upsetting a considerable part of their military, Sejong finally gave in and allowed Islamic practices to be carried out in isolated places outside main cities and forbade local mixing with Jurchen troops. However, easier as that sounds, Jurchens were gradually assimilating easier into Korean societies in south of the peninsula as the Northern population still resented them for their raids. though missionary activity was strictly forbidden and Jurchen soldiers themselves were no shining examples of believers, many second generation Jurchen Muslims abandoned their ancestral military posts and started taking up other jobs in south of peninsula, establishing small communities on the coast, avoiding cities for fear of imperial decree. Despite all this, Islam would remain a foreign religion in Korea, albeit transformed from a hostile alien culture into one of peaking curiosity in the subsequent years. But it would be the Xipangese pirates whose subsequent arrival in 10th century AH (16th century) that would take the small Korean Islam into becoming a full fledged regional brand reaching far way places around the north Lonshe[3] ocean.

(From 'Tarikh Ul Fars Wal Mashreq' by Ali Adnani)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Grandmother in Tatar language, derived from Kazakh (though grandfather is still Dade, a version of Turkish Dede)

[2] Skanderbeg, he stays loyal

[3]Pacific ocean's Chinese name (meaning blue) which is established ITTL

and so another update in the midst of exam, My written part finished yesterday so some respite.

For Qzil and Samiu'n, my gynaecology lessons showed that during menopause, testosterone is the last sex hormone to remain in a female, hence we have Qizil the horny Grandma. Samiu'n though will have less vigour than his younger days but as a privileged individual of that period, he should be healthy enough to endure (and enjoy:openedeyewink:). Also it is more about powerplay than sex as just before her act Qizil dismissed Samiu'n from his post, effectively reducing him to nothing more than a glorified male consort to the female Chingissid and proceeded to get frisky with him to get her point across. What do you think will happen to Qizil's enemies?

And my in universe novel, Kaiser I Rum begins finally! Idea and Title from @सार्थक (Sārthākā) who also made Skanderbeg loyal to Ottomans. Hope ya don't mind me using your idea for my TL!

And Islam reaches Korea, again fizzles out until someone from across the ocean introduces themselves. But no big developments on far east now. Poor Jurchens, kicked around by everyone..

Last edited:
I saw this TL from the Turtledove poll, and I've been hooked. I've only had time to read to the end of page 7 so far, but this is really cool! It's great to see a TL written by someone who seems to know a lot about the central asian steppes, which are so often relegated to a sideshow in TLs. And it's interesting seeing the Golden Horde and its fellow descendants of Genghis Khan start forming a modern infantry army- and that will only grow more important as technology advances and traditional nomadic horsemen decline in relative military effectiveness. I imagine there will be some power struggles over the latter losing their influence though.

One thing I love is that this is the first TL I've seen that explores in-depth what a Timurid invasion of China would look like had he lived just a little longer. The final battle against the Yongle emperor was epic, but it's also nice to see the realistic limitations of logistics that mean in the end Timur couldn't conquer much of China proper. Winning that battle is great for his legacy, but was it really worth it? Sure he gained Mongolia but how valuable is that land really?

And the saga of Lithuanian prince Vytautas becoming ruler of Novgorod is one unique story! Shame the poor lad's realm doesn't seem to be doing so well. In general, all the political and diplomatic intrigue between the Rus states and their relation with the Golden Horde is cool.

one question though:
Vytautas lost all of his Lithuanian territory upto Rohaczew in the north and Krzemienczew in the East.
What cities are these exactly? Google only gets me Rahachow in modern Belarus for the first which doesn't seem that northern, and I get no results at all for Krzemienczew.

Sure he gained Mongolia but how valuable is that land really?
He was obsessed with Mongol empire and Chingissid legacy hence his entry in Mongolia and his revival of Mongol empire plus some more( india)
What cities are these exactly? Google only gets me Rahachow in modern Belarus for the first which doesn't seem that northern,
North for extent of Vytautas's realm. Not as a geographical north north (if ya know what I mean)
and I get no results at all for Krzemienczew.
It is Krzemienczuk, near Poltava. I was using an encyclopedia map for most locations and perhaps it was written that way.

And thank you for appreciating my TL, it was good to see a noob like me garnering so much attention for his first try at a TL. I think my TL is also the first one centering around Golden horde, so I was doing a risky maneuver by heading in uncharted territories. Oh well, someone's gotta be the pioneer.

Last edited:
The Hussite-Tartar alliance is an interesting thing- but I worry if it will blow up in both sides's faces in the end....

The Mongols terrorized Europe in a way they haven't since the 13th century- and like the 13th century, they are turned back after their Khan died. This seems it could be a long-term strategic defeat for the Golden Horde. They pillaged Hungary hard enough to remind Europe they could be a threat, but they failed to conquer the country or otherwise deal it a crippling blow- so now they've got Europe on guard for little gain. As for the Hussites, I'm curious what the consequences of more radical factions gaining influence there will be but if word gets out of their unholy alliance their reputation could be VERY tarred.

And I've noticed the Golden Horde army seemed to be moving relatively slowly to wait for supplies and artillery to catch up. Seems the horde has lost some of its famous mobility, wouldn't want to lost that advantage entirely!

Qizil Hatun is one fascinating character- she's basically running the country. I imagine she'll be a powerful icon for womens rights leader in the future- assuming her reputation is not tarred by future Khans.

Perhaps it's just my stereotypes, but the Golden Horde, a heir to the infamous nomad hordes, instituting a taxation system that requires forcibly settling their subjects seems really surreal. At least the Bashkir revolt didn't cause too much trouble, but I worry about the long-term consequences of ending so much of the realm's nomadic ways- is there a risk of it depriving the Golden Horde of horse archers and other good light cavalry?

And the Korean-Manchuria interactions are interesting- I wonder if we'll get sustained Korean influence in Manchuria TTL?

Mongols terrorized Europe in a way they haven't since the 13th century- and like the 13th century, they are turned back after their Khan died. This seems it could be a long-term strategic defeat for the Golden Horde. They pillaged Hungary hard enough to remind Europe they could be a threat, but they failed to conquer the country or otherwise deal it a crippling blow- so now they've got Europe on guard for little gain
Yes and it might turn out worse for them. Hungary was pillaged to see if Horde could stretch into balkans( As Yassin wished) like before but now that chance is gone. Rest assured, this is not the end of interaction between Mongols and central Europe. But my original intention was to use GH to cripple Hungary enough so that they don’t make the Ottomans stuck in Balkans. The main focus doesn’t always have to win all the time.
As for the Hussites, I'm curious what the consequences of more radical factions gaining influence there will be but if word gets out of their unholy alliance their reputation could be VERY tarred.
Their reputation is already tarred as it is and the only thing they are doing is catch at a straw. Economic disaster will be the end of Hussite revolt and like OTL, Poland will have a role to play. Taborite situation was really helpless as you saw everyone turn them down.
And I've noticed the Golden Horde army seemed to be moving relatively slowly to wait for supplies and artillery to catch up. Seems the horde has lost some of its famous mobility, wouldn't want to lost that advantage entirely!
They are still adapting and it was on the Khan’s part that they must remain cautious when traversing unknown territory. The polish experience actually traumatised Yassin😁
Qizil Hatun is one fascinating character- she's basically running the country. I imagine she'll be a powerful icon for womens rights leader in the future- assuming her reputation is not tarred by future Khans.
Ahem....last line. The future khans will not be able to accuse Qizil so blatantly due to her cultural legacy( centralisation). And for women's rights.....feminism and everything related will be really different due to massive butterfly effects. OTL victorian era puritanism was more or less the push for feminist movement garnering up.
Perhaps it's just my stereotypes, but the Golden Horde, a heir to the infamous nomad hordes, instituting a taxation system that requires forcibly settling their subjects seems really surreal. At least the Bashkir revolt didn't cause too much trouble, but I worry about the long-term consequences of ending so much of the realm's nomadic ways- is there a risk of it depriving the Golden Horde of horse archers and other good light cavalry?
Ah, my fault. I should have made clear that Crimea was not included in new taxation system due to them being the vanguard of any Mongol expedition to the west. Actually the large influx of Rus refugees to otherwise core horde territories after Timurid invasion of Russia and the subsequent internal strife caused a great imbalance in terms of settled population. As you can see Kazan is already becoming Rus majority and that might be problematic. Hence the fast track to settlement. Also Khan (or Khatun) focused more on the permanent settlement of economically important Sanjaks such as Kazan( European trade), Sarai and Aral ( silk route) than ones like Astrakhan.

As for nomads, they are still there. Sibir is teeming with them and more and more will follow to escape central authority in horde proper . As I mentioned Crimean situation perhaps that assuages your concern about Cavalry. Nevertheless, you pointed out some important facts and I will try to integrate them into my TL without changing plots, the nomad question must be solved.
And the Korean-Manchuria interactions are interesting- I wonder if we'll get sustained Korean influence in Manchuria TTL?
Manchuria is now divided between spheres of 3 neighbouring powers and unfortunately Koreans are not amongst the heavy-weights. Apart from influencing some troops of Jianzhou, Korean influence is mediocre at best amongst nonmilitary population, also regarding religion and self isolation of next generation in south of peninsula. But whatever influence there is, will evaporate when Japanese start their maritime expeditions( or raids). Korean society isn’t so kind to foreign people and Islamic practice such as masjid and halal slaughter is still banned and only relaxed in places where Jurchens are numerous. As for mainland Manchuria, Koreans are trying to integrate Jurchens into their culture but religion will remain a factor here. Expect some degree of syncretism between local Buddhism and islam,at least until something comes out of the rubble of Aqbars khanate.

So glad to see another entry !

If it's possible, could you provide a rundown of who the characters are and where they are? For some reason I'm having a lot of trouble keeping the characters straight in my head. But don't bother if it's too much trouble.

So glad to see another entry !

If it's possible, could you provide a rundown of who the characters are and where they are? For some reason I'm having a lot of trouble keeping the characters straight in my head. But don't bother if it's too much trouble.
The new ones? These will be recurring characters and some others related to them will appear eventually.

Golden horde
Khan Jalaludin( Khan of Golden horde, Yassin's son and his aunt Qizil's enemy)

Qizil Hatun

Samiu'n ( Qizil's husband, son of Dmitry)

Olej Muxammat ( Sandjak beg of Qimir, enemy of Qizil)

Toktay ( Sandjakbeg of kazan, Qizil supporter)

Gregory ( muslim, Beg of Ryazan, son in law of Toktay, allegiance yet unknown)

Ottoman empire
Muhammad II ( no need of introduction)

Aslan Batyr ( Son of Kuban, grandson of Yassin, refugee)

Iskandar Pasha( Skanderbeg)

Zaganos bey( Iskander's right hand)

Others
Khaydar Makmut( son of Atrak, cousin of Yassin, mercenary so no stable location, currently in Aqbars Khanate)

Last edited:
Seeds of Chaos
Polish Lithuanian invasion of Muscovy and Novgorod

Mikhail's misadventure

In 847 (1443), the situation in Rus principalities was tense. With Tatars not clearly in favour of any faction controlling Novgorod it boiled down to bitter negotiations between Vasily II and Dmitry. The former was finally satisfied after an agreement concluding an exchange of Novgorod revenues for 4 years each with descendants of Vasily promised preference as the future grand prince of Novgorod. Wladislaw II, king of Poland wanted to drive a wedge in this agreement as he wanted Novgorod for himself. He was further emboldened by the new holy Roman emperor Albert one eye's support for his brother Casimir's position as duke of Transylvania. This was the price the Hapsburg King had to pay for supporting his claim to Hungarian throne whilst he also had to pledge support to Burgundian monarch Phillip's plan for an anti-Ottoman crusade under Pope's influence to preserve his position as holy Roman emperor. This meant in a hostile Hungary, Albert had no real ally except Wladislaw II, resulting in an increasing influence of the Polish nobility in Hungary.

Meanwhile things were not satisfying in Lithuania. After death of Sigismund Kestutaitis, his son Mikhail Zygimantaitis assumed the role of Grand duke and wanted to steer Lithuania away from Poland, much like his ill fated relative Svitrigaila. But the the Lithuanian state was not ready for an all out war with any of its neighbors, let alone Poland. So to placate the growing desire of the nobility, Mikhail chose a softer target, Novgorod. But be it intelligence failure or his own assumption, the recent developments concerning the rival Rus principalities over the status of Novgorod were totally missed by the grand duke. He attempted an invasion of 'a divided realm', in his own words. Nevertheless, the preparations he took and the forces arrayed for the invasion were impressive. Lithuanian regular army, moderate faction of Hussites, Teutonic order 'mercenaries' and some Polish irregulars and a small Rus contingent from Kiev, a total of 27,000. In Shawwal 846 (February 1443), the Lithuanian army of 'many banners' started their eastward push. But once in Ryzhev, the invading forces were surprised to find a well defended garrison with Muscovite navy guarding the Volga river. Mikhail was not dented in his quest and invigorated troops about 'crushing the treacherous vassals of Mongols' and liberating the good Christians from their yoke.
trffff.jpeg

Image: Muscovite 'navy' during the battle of Ryzhev.

The siege lingered for a week with the allied army making little in way of progress. Now the dangers of leading a multi-polity army became clear to Mikhail Zygimantaitis. Poor coordination between assaults and defenders bade low for morale. The early spring rains also made the supply situation desperate with disease running rampant in besieger's camp. But Mikhail was adamant and devised a final plan to break the siege. But everyone in his camp knew Mikhail was not trying to conquer new territories, rather he was trying to save his face. So he divided his troops into a larger and a smaller half. The larger half would continue the siege from their positions whilst the smaller half would wait near a drawbridge in hiding for a Muscovite sortie to extend. In 13 Shawwal, 846 (22 February 1443), one such opportunity arose for the beleaguered Lithuanian troops and they successfully stormed the Ryzhev castle for the first time. The defenders were also on their last leg and it seemed that Ryzhev would fall anytime now. However it was not to be.
Russians.jpeg

Image: Rus soldiers in Lithuanian army.

As sounds of hooves thundered near Ryzhev, Mikhail knew he had to retreat for reinforcements have arrived. He just didn't expect the reinforcements to be light Tatar cavalry. Now realizing his danger the Grand duke quickly ordered a retreat. His rearguard was massacred by Tatars whilst the rest of his troops fled in disarray. For all the pomp and grandeur of this campaign, the mountain of Mikhail Zygimantaitis gave way to a molehill. But unlike previous times, this force was not a reinforcement but a fugitive one, escaping the purge by Qizil Hatun who appointed her son Temur Khwaja as the new Khan replacing Jalaluddin. Supporters of the previous Khan who were involved in a plot against her increasing meddling in the affairs of the horde were being hunted down, Beg of Qimir Olej Muxammat being one of them. Though giving shelter to his overlord's prisoner would be suicide at such a time, Vasily agreed to let them pass through his territory to safety, wisely choosing not to support them directly. Meanwhile news of the failed assault of Mikhail reached Vilnius as Wladislaw II began preparations for a long campaign into Novgorod and Rus proper much like his father before him. As the spies spoke of unrest in Golden horde over succession, he knew the Tatars won't be able to distract him from his goals now. He was soon in contact with the runaway Tatars of Olej , who in spite of their initial reluctance agreed to serve in his army as they knew no other option was open for them. Soon lands of Rus would be rocked by another war of conquest.

(piece from 'From Vikings to Tsars: Early Russian history' by Vasily Simkus)

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Smokes from afar
mehmed fatih court.jpg

Shawwal 846 (February 1443)
Konstantiniyye

The court of the sultan was awfully less noisy for time near Zuhr prayer. The realisation left a pit the size of Kara sea in Aslan's stomach as he realised all the courtiers were waiting for something or someone. It could be anything, a messenger from a hostile kingdom. The Nazarenes have been eyeing Dar Al Islam hungrily since Muhammad's ascension to the throne. Who knows when they go and declare war upon the faithful? And knowing those Franks and Magyars, they would also bring death and destruction to their Nazarene brothers under Ottoman protection.

Everyone quit their murmuring as the young Sultan straightened himself a bit and looked over the hallway. Aslan followed his friend's gaze and saw Zaganos Pasha with a man in Mercantile republic attire.

"Andrea Florenton Martini, Genoese condottieri of Kefe, state your business." Candarli Halil Pasha's voice boomed over the now quiet gathering.

After a bow of courtesy, the Italian began to speak:

"My sultan, it is with a heavy heart that I have arrived on the doorsteps of your grandiose empire. These rags you see my wearing are the only available clothes I have left from kefe. The law and order in Crimea has broken down as Qizil Hatun, may God spite that crazy woman has finally sealed the deal and took the prestigious throne of Sarai for her family by replacing and executing Khan Jalaluddin."

At this sudden revelation, the atmosphere within the courtroom grew ever more tense as not even a whisper was heard, nor any birds made song from balcony. It was deathly calm, something which deeply unsettled Aslan as he looked back and forth between Muhammad and the Italian man.

"In this situation, I request the sultan to give us some subsidiary in all his exceptional humility so that we may relocate our business from Kefe to somewhere more safe in his great empire." he added to the intrigue of the courtiers.

"Grand vizier, see to that the Genoese in Tatary have a trading hub in Candarli elayet, you discuss the suitable location....with Kuban Pasha."

Whether it was his eyes or not but Aslan thought he saw a glint of annoyance in Grand vizier's eye when the Sultan mention his father's name. It was well known how his family has alienated the influential Candarli family after his father was made it's Pasha. Oh well, it's not like anyone can refuse the Sultan's decree.

"A last advice as a friend and a well wisher of your empire. Strengthen your navy. The situation in Kara sea would be volatile as the last semblance of law and order fade away in face of chaos and instability. Pirates would run rampant. whilst those Mongols were never good at seas, their presence at least kept the Pirates from decking ships near ports. But now all would be fair game. I shall take my leave now. May you have long and fruitful reign, Sultan of Ottomans."

Muhammad simply nodded as the envoy left and soon the courtroom returned to life. It seemed to Aslan if an unholy aura came with the Italian which left upon his departure. His chain of thoughts were interrupted as the court was dismissed for Salah.

-------------------------------------

Aslan walked into Hagia Sophia Cami, his mind running laps around not any particular thing. This was really bad as the Jochid needed peace of mind or lese his prayer would not suffice. He was surprised to see sultan Muhammad in the yard of the Masjid. He was further perplexed as Muhammad called him. Hurrying on his feet the flustered man speed walked to his liege.

"Never expected you to be so quick, anyways here's a letter for your father Kuban Pasha. You promise me not to look at it unless he opens it." the Sultan spoke softly.

"Yes, my Sultan." Aslan replied looking at the floor.

"No, I want further confirmation."

"Sure, Muhammad. If you say so."
Aslan looked at his friend and saw an uncharacteristic happy smile on his lips.

"Anyways, the Prophet warned us for good. It seems that if woman want to take the reigns of ruling, things break down quickly. Who can give me credible information about this Qizil? Your father?"

"Yes, and my foster mother Ana. both of them escaped here during Sufi Sultan Murad's rule."

"Nice, absolutely perfect. and to think all that chaos because she placed her candidate on the throne. Just imagine if she took the throne herself..."
Muhammad mused.

"May Allah prevent such a stain upon the house of Jochi, a prestigious line. May such calamity never befall upon my lineage." Aslan spoke as he shuddered. He failed to note that Muhammad had a wider smile upon hearing his last sentence. But the Sultan's face soon returned to normalcy as Aslan diverted his gaze upon him.

"Ameen." he replied as they waited for the prayer call to commence.

(From 'Kaiser I Rum' by Tariq Fakhruddin, translated by Wilhelm Jager)

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
7595692_920.jpg

23 Ramadan 847 (22 January 1444)
Samrqand, Aqbars Khanate

A chilly wind blew from a corner as Suleiman gritted his teeth. His successful transport of warm food and tea for his master Khaydar tucked away in solitude in Bibi Khanum Masjid bade some relief from him. The last days of the Ramadan were important but no one, not even his wives were sure why the ragtag mercenary would suddenly turn into a pious saint and spend the last 10 days in I'tikaf.

As he made his way towards home, he was welcomed by Gulnaz, Kahydar's elder wife and mother of Alfiya, a little girl of 6 years whom he can call sister.

"There's my white kitten, hope you're not frozen or something because you can easily get lost in this heavy snow, what's worse is that no one can see you!" the woman in early thirties spoke jovially as she fussed with his silver hair.

"Quit scaring him like that Gul, his skin tone and hair is unique and when he matures, he'll be an exotic specimen for girls." spoke Dilara, the younger wife of his master and also mother to a daughter named Gulhan.

At this mention Suleiman's albino skin began flushing different shades of pink and red. Gulnaz jabbed at her counterpart now:

"Look what you did to the poor thing now he will die of heat from embarrassment!"

"Better, good to see his blood isn't all frozen in this weather."
Dilara muttered a reply and left the room.

"Is there anything I should take care of Khatun?" Suleiman asked meekly.

"Yes, how many fasts have you completed?"

"Um, 15?"
the Albino boy was unsure why she was asking this,

"And that includes today?"

"Uhh, no."

"Then you will not fast anymore until last Ramadan. Make that two because chances are not a soul will be able to see the moon of Shawwal if this weather continues."

"But-"

"No buts Suleiman, the weather is very cold and you need your energy. Or don't tell me you have been infected with the same zeal of your master? Now go to that room and sit with Alfiya. Kasi will appear with some porridge and this time, I want the bowls licked clean."

Suleiman, overwhelmed at such display of authority could only nod and scurried away to his destined room.

Gulnaz sighed as she looked at the retreating boy. Brought from a slave market in Isfahan, this Georgian boy became the apple of her eyes when she had her miscarriage. Taking it to be a sign from Allah, the couple raised him like their son. And the fact that Khaydar was still unable sire a son endeared him to the family more.

This was what Prophet said, to treat slaves and servants like one's own kin. She was confident that even if she had a son now she would still love Suleiman nonetheless. For that she didn't need to listen to preaching of some weird guys blabbering about insaf.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salam guys, after a long time. Apologies for my hiatus due to final examination. My exam is finished and I'm home. So hopefully I can start my usual weekly updates from now.

Things are all over the place for everyone, union of PL, the Rus principalities and the Golden horde with Qizil cracking down on the conspirators. The only one to conspire against the Hatun and live to tell the tale will be....Samiu'n. Now let's see how things fare for the Rus are they are between a hammer and an anvil. ottomans are starting to take interest in affairs across the kara sea whilst a shrewd Genoese suggested the Sultan to improve his naval capabilities, to get back at someone? And a glance at the family life of Khaydar. Keep your eyes on Suleiman, he's gonna be an important character in the coming days.

So thoughts and comments?

Last edited:

Maudoldu00

Banned
YAHOOO. Finally you have return to update the story. I was anxious and thought you have abandoned it. Wow must be a coincidence when i just wish this timeline a uear anniversary. Congratulation on your examination arctodus. Next month after eid it is my turn to suffer for my early year examination

. He failed to note that Muhammad had a wider smile upon hearing his last sentence.
Seem kinda sus to me. Hope you live up to your name muhammad ii. Hope we can see the mamluk and granada more in the next update.
And the fact that Khaydar was still unable sire a son endeared him to the family more
Well this could be bad for aqbars khanate if Khaydar biological son to dispute the thrones with suleiman then . But Suleiman can marry Khaydar daughter and gain legitimacy as his issue have Jochid blood.
Nice update as always.

Russia just can't catch a break in this TL lol.

Hmm, I wonder where the Sultan increasing the Ottoman naval capabilities will lead... maybe more success for them in the Mediterranean?

Have you been working on the writeup for the map you posted in the site's map section? (Sorry if it feels like I'm rushing you; I don't mean to)

YAHOOO. Finally you have return to update the story. I was anxious and thought you have abandoned it. Wow must be a coincidence when i just wish this timeline a uear anniversary. Congratulation on your examination arctodus. Next month after eid it is my turn to suffer for my early year examination
I wanted to update after exam was finished last week but my departure plan was rushed. If you have to cook your sahoor and iftar whilst studying and feeding 5 dogs , you have little free time. As for you I wish you success in your exams. But exams in Ramadan are hectic and give thanks to Allah for your luck😅
Hope you live up to your name muhammad ii. Hope we can see the mamluk and granada more in the next update.
You have no idea 😉. And the Sultan smiles because his friend is unknowingly accelerating his plans. And my next update plan is on Maghreb insha Allah.
Well this could be bad for aqbars khanate if Khaydar biological son to dispute the thrones with suleiman then . But Suleiman can marry Khaydar daughter and gain legitimacy as his issue have Jochid blood.
Nice update as always.
Khaydar atm is just a moderately rich mercenary living in Aqbars khanate, he's not anyone too much influential. As for his sudden itikaf, he got the wind of a big campaign by the Khan Abu Qaisar in near future, so he's making use of his last Ramadan( probably)
Russia just can't catch a break in this TL lol.
Yep, as with all poland wank TLs. Poland will be wanked here but not too much. We are near the time when Russians will be throwing off Tatar yoke, notwithstanding how much benefit that will carry when Poles are after them. At the end of 15th century Tatars will look towards east so Russians will be largely left alone, thus consider that end of mongol yoke in this TL.
Sultan increasing the Ottoman naval capabilities will lead... maybe more
The envoy was Genoese, so it should be clear who he wants the Sultan to butt heads with. And increased naval capabilities will be tried and tested throughout Muhammad's reign due to location and nature of his campaigns.
Have you been working on the writeup for the map you posted in the site's map section? (Sorry if it feels like I'm rushing you; I don't mean
I have finished my draft but I only have to put it on the image now, somewhat hard considering I use microsoft paint. And that map is not a spoiler to this TL despite striking similarity as you will see. Many aspects will be same but many significant things will be different at the same time particularly for christian Europe and new world.

Last edited:
Great chapter, and I hop you are good in this month of Ramadan. Also will the Russian take Siberia or the Tatar?

Last edited: