Under Center: The NFL In The New Millennium

Wow, an AFC west that's kinda good.

The AFC is most likely going to be one of the premier NFL divisions going forward. It's a rather competitive field at this point. I would like to ask if I can also pretend like this TL is in the same universe as your timelines, not for any particular reason except the fact that I really enjoy them.

The AFC is most likely going to be one of the premier NFL divisions going forward. It's a rather competitive field at this point. I would like to ask if I can also pretend like this TL is in the same universe as your timelines, not for any particular reason except the fact that I really enjoy them.
Yes. I already pretend my TL's exist in other ones that I like!

Now that we're approaching the end of the 2000s, I'd like to address a few things in this timeline that have bugged me:

1. The Cleveland Browns have not won a title due to their constant competition with the Ravens, which has made it so that they have a routinely low seeding. Also bogging down the franchise is the fact they are sticking with Marty Schottenheimer who, despite a great regular season track record, had a sub-par at best level of playoff success.

2. The Chicago Bears never undergo the same resurgence they did with Brian Urlacher during this period, and instead, fall into the constant cycle of coaches, firings, and draft busts. The only bright spot, for much of this period, is the Carson Palmer, who shows great development on the team for the first years of his career, until he develops chronic migraines aggravated by hits to the head, and then his abilities gradually deteriorated due to memory issues and CTE. The Bears defense, while known for their dirty, rugged play, underwent constant turnover due to free agency. Many players did not want to play against Brett Favre, Jay Cutler, or the Vikings running game led by the talented Tiki Barber.

3. Ryan Leaf changes his attitude after being labeled as a "bust" and works his way back up through the Arena Football League, winning an Arena Bowl in 2002 with the San Joe SaberCats, securing the SaberCats a perfect season and gaining AFL Offensive Player of the Year honors, after passing for 34 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. He then went to the CFL in 2003, playing for the BC Lions, helping them to the division finals, only to lose to the eventual champions, the Montreal Alouettes, gaining "Most Outstanding Rookie" honors, after passing for 30 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. He would then sign with the Miami Dolphins as a backup, only to defeat incumbent quarterback Damon Huard, who himself had been picked up again with the Dolphins a year ago, in training camp. Leaf's leadership in the locker room and hard playing attitude led to a Super Bowl appearance and a season that produced 31 touchdowns and 17 interceptions, along with NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors.

4. The USC Dynasty defeats Texas, and the win emboldens Matt Leinart, who begins to believe that he is a megastar and should be treated as such. This results in a sense of entitlement that bogs him down in the NFL, and leads to an even larger feeling of inadequacy when he fails to produce at the same level he is accustomed to, which begins the usage of steroids and adderall, along with the partying to feed the ever-growing ego. This results in the Leinart you see.

5. To me, the biggest missed opportunity was Jim Druckenmiller, supposed to be Steve Young's successor as 49ers starting quarterback, he became a spectacular bust. He would have fit perfectly into this timeline as I could have made him an average quarterback, and most likely pass up the entire possibility of Aaron Rodgers and the 49ers. Instead, I gave you Jason Campbell's combine. I'm sorry.

6. Speaking of the 2005 NFL Draft, Alex Smith ends up as a mediocre starter for the Redskins (who, spoiler alert, I plan to change the name of), held back by strong play in the division and the ownership's lack of competence. Smith is not considered a draft bust per se, but more along the lines of a draft disappointment.

7. Yes, I will have more player v. player rivalries. Rodgers v. Roethlisberger is the beginning of a trend I've been wanting to try out.

Now that we're approaching the end of the 2000s, I'd like to address a few things in this timeline that have bugged me:

1. The Cleveland Browns have not won a title due to their constant competition with the Ravens, which has made it so that they have a routinely low seeding. Also bogging down the franchise is the fact they are sticking with Marty Schottenheimer who, despite a great regular season track record, had a sub-par at best level of playoff success.

2. The Chicago Bears never undergo the same resurgence they did with Brian Urlacher during this period, and instead, fall into the constant cycle of coaches, firings, and draft busts. The only bright spot, for much of this period, is the Carson Palmer, who shows great development on the team for the first years of his career, until he develops chronic migraines aggravated by hits to the head, and then his abilities gradually deteriorated due to memory issues and CTE. The Bears defense, while known for their dirty, rugged play, underwent constant turnover due to free agency. Many players did not want to play against Brett Favre, Jay Cutler, or the Vikings running game led by the talented Tiki Barber.

3. Ryan Leaf changes his attitude after being labeled as a "bust" and works his way back up through the Arena Football League, winning an Arena Bowl in 2002 with the San Joe SaberCats, securing the SaberCats a perfect season and gaining AFL Offensive Player of the Year honors, after passing for 34 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. He then went to the CFL in 2003, playing for the BC Lions, helping them to the division finals, only to lose to the eventual champions, the Montreal Alouettes, gaining "Most Outstanding Rookie" honors, after passing for 30 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. He would then sign with the Miami Dolphins as a backup, only to defeat incumbent quarterback Damon Huard, who himself had been picked up again with the Dolphins a year ago, in training camp. Leaf's leadership in the locker room and hard playing attitude led to a Super Bowl appearance and a season that produced 31 touchdowns and 17 interceptions, along with NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors.

4. The USC Dynasty defeats Texas, and the win emboldens Matt Leinart, who begins to believe that he is a megastar and should be treated as such. This results in a sense of entitlement that bogs him down in the NFL, and leads to an even larger feeling of inadequacy when he fails to produce at the same level he is accustomed to, which begins the usage of steroids and adderall, along with the partying to feed the ever-growing ego. This results in the Leinart you see.

5. To me, the biggest missed opportunity was Jim Druckenmiller, supposed to be Steve Young's successor as 49ers starting quarterback, he became a spectacular bust. He would have fit perfectly into this timeline as I could have made him an average quarterback, and most likely pass up the entire possibility of Aaron Rodgers and the 49ers. Instead, I gave you Jason Campbell's combine. I'm sorry.

6. Speaking of the 2005 NFL Draft, Alex Smith ends up as a mediocre starter for the Redskins (who, spoiler alert, I plan to change the name of), held back by strong play in the division and the ownership's lack of competence. Smith is not considered a draft bust per se, but more along the lines of a draft disappointment.

7. Yes, I will have more player v. player rivalries. Rodgers v. Roethlisberger is the beginning of a trend I've been wanting to try out.

As a Niners fan I think it be ASB to fix Drunkenmiller and 6 ugh Smith Deserves so much more..

As a Niners fan I think it be ASB to fix Drunkenmiller and 6 ugh Smith Deserves so much more..

Druckenmiller won't be fixed here, I'm just saying he could have been a great way of avoiding the scenario I found myself in. Smith never had the ability to deliver, he would make an average team above average but a bad team only marginally better. I'm just showing the fact that under Dan Snyder, nobody is too good to fail.

Druckenmiller won't be fixed here, I'm just saying he could have been a great way of avoiding the scenario I found myself in. Smith never had the ability to deliver, he would make an average team above average but a bad team only marginally better. I'm just showing the fact that under Dan Snyder, nobody is too good to fail.
I disagree on Smith, He was screwed in SF being he had way to many offensive changes on some really bad teams in our time line.

I disagree on Smith, He was screwed in SF being he had way to many offensive changes on some really bad teams in our time line.

While he was screwed over IOTL, I still believe that no matter the circumstances, Dan Synder and the Redskins can always find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Would the New England Patriots Dynasty still take place ?

No. Belichick delivers less than stellar results in his second year and, without his great success, his relationship with Bob Kraft sours. He is fired from the job and replaced by Bill Parcells. Belichick then goes to Jacksonville, where he creates a great defense but leaves that job when he is pressured by ownership into trading away players he thinks still show potential. He then goes to the Raiders, where he drafts Aaron Rodgers and... here we are. Tom Brady is on the Cowboys (a major POD is his being drafted by the Cowboys 180th overall), but they never really accomplish much except for a good 2004 (I believe) season, where he once passed for seven touchdowns and had an epic feud with the Giants and Drew Brees, whom he lost against in the playoffs. He was then sacked by Robert Mathis, his leg blew up, and he came back from injury ahead of schedule, but the Cowboys wouldn't start him, so he requested (and got) a trade, to the New York Jets, where he plays under coach Norv Turner, and is currently in the middle of a rough 1-3 start to the NFL season.

Chapter Nine, Part Four: Rodgers-Roethlisberger, Tommy's Tummy, & The Western Showdown
September 25, 2009: Aaron Rodgers responded to Ben Roethlisberger’s comments, saying: “You gotta ask why the press isn’t on his side, I mean, this isn’t a one-way street… but that’s beside the point… Ben has to watch himself, stop acting so high and mighty about that ring, we all know it wasn’t him who won the game. Either way, the Raiders are getting one of those soon, I see a Super Bowl title in LA within the next three years.”

September 26, 2009: When reached for comment, Ben Roethlisberger says “Well Aaron’s got one thing right, for sure, the Los Angeles Rams look like they have a very bright future.”

October 1, 2009: Tom Brady is knocked out of a game against the New England Patriots after taking a visibly mild hit to the gut. It is found that Brady had developed severe diverticulitis, and due to the hit and the illness, he will miss six weeks, with hospital time.

October 6, 2009: In the lead-up to the Raiders v. Broncos Game on Monday Night Football, Aaron Rodgers appears on The Tonight Show With Conan O’Brien, where he does some trash talking, saying “Ben can run his mouth off all his wants, but the big thing he needs to look out for is this game. We can argue about who’s better, but the verdict is about to return- though I don't doubt his experience with verdicts being returned.” The cheap shot would garner a hugely positive reaction from the audience, and would contribute to the hype leading up to the media-billed “Western Showdown”.

October 7, 2009: Ben Roethlisberger responds to Aaron Rodgers’ comment, saying “Good thing the verdict has always gone my way… steer clear of the low blow next time AR.”

October 10, 2009: On Monday Night Football, the Los Angeles Raiders defeat the Denver Broncos, 38-35, in overtime, as Aaron Rodgers passes for 5 touchdowns and 457 yards, and Ben Roethlisberger tosses 4 touchdowns and 463 yards along with one costly overtime interception on the Raiders’ one-yard line. With 31 seconds on the clock in overtime, Aaron Rodgers threw a 48-yard bullet pass to Marshawn Lynch, his running back who was not known for his catching prowess, setting up a field goal attempt. The game-sealing field goal, made from 52 yards out in the last seconds of overtime by Sebastian Janikowski, is hailed as one of the most impressive and suspenseful of all time. When analyzed, the film shows that Janikowski’s field goal could have still been made, with the same force, angle, and velocity, from 69 yards out. The game is hailed as one of the greatest ever to air on Monday Night Football, and one of the greatest non-playoff games ever played in the NFL.

I guess the Raiders moved back when they failed to produce a Super Bowl in the early 2000s in Oakland, but when did the Rams move back? Or was that just part of the joke, as if to say that "he doesn't even know the Rams are in St. Louis." I could have easily skimmed over the move back to L.A>, though.

I guess the Raiders moved back when they failed to produce a Super Bowl in the early 2000s in Oakland, but when did the Rams move back? Or was that just part of the joke, as if to say that "he doesn't even know the Rams are in St. Louis." I could have easily skimmed over the move back to L.A>, though.

The Rams moved back at the same time as the Raiders, after a more pronounced drop in viewership. In this timeline, due to butterflies, the St. Louis Cardinals have more of a dynasty in the 2000s, causing less attention to be given to the Rams, and, on top of that, the Rams failed to field a very competitive team during that period. Part of the joke was the fact that the Rams were actually doing quite well, under head coach Pete Carroll and second-year QB Matt Ryan.

Chapter Nine, Part Five: The Latter Season, Tom Stays Down, The 2009-10 Playoffs, NFL Honors, Super Bowl XLIV, & The 2009 NFL Season Standings
October 11, 2009: Ben Roethlisberger says that the game “was disappointing. But it’s not like we don’t have another game later this year. And it’s not like we won’t have another two for the rest of my career. I would like to point out that it was Sebastian Janikowski who won this game for them, not anyone else. He kicked a miracle, and without that, it would probably have been a tie game.”

October 25, 2009: Peyton Manning makes a bold statement about his expectations, saying “If there is not a Super Bowl parade in Indianapolis this February, I will be sorely disappointed.” He says this after a 5-1 start to the season, with the only loss coming to the red-hot Raiders squad in week two.

November 22, 2009: Tom Brady is ruled out from competition again after the diverticulitis worsened and required surgery. He is ruled out for the rest of the season.

January 9, 2010: The Denver Broncos defeat the Cleveland Browns, 31-14, as Ben Roethlisberger slings 3 touchdowns and 334 yards.

January 10, 2010: The Los Angeles Raiders defeat the Buffalo Bills, 21-7 as Aaron Rodgers throws for 2 touchdowns and 302 yards.

January 16, 2010: The Los Angeles Raiders defeat the New England Patriots, 45-10, as Aaron Rodgers throws 450 yards and 4 touchdowns.

January 17, 2010: The Indianapolis Colts defeat the Denver Broncos, 33-17, as Ben Roethlisberger throws three interceptions, two touchdowns, and 268 yards, and Peyton Manning throws for three touchdowns and 404 yards.

January 24, 2010: The Indianapolis Colts defeat the Los Angeles Raiders, 24-23, as Peyton Manning throws for three touchdowns and 382 yards, while Aaron Rodgers throws for two touchdowns and 314 yards. The Colts will go onto face the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLIV.

February 6, 2010: Aaron Rodgers is named NFL MVP (1) and wins the Joe Montana Award (2). Bill Belichick of the Los Angeles Raiders wins the Coach of the Year Award (1).

February 7, 2010: The Indianapolis Colts win Super Bowl XLIV over the Seattle Seahawks, 52-21. QB Peyton Manning is named Super Bowl MVP, after passing for a record-tying six touchdown passes and a Super Bowl-record 511 yards.

2009 NFL Season Standings

NFC East
Giants: 13-3
Eagles: 9-6-1
Redskins: 6-9-1
Cowboys: 3-13

AFC East
Patriots: 13-2-1
Bills: 10-6
Dolphins: 3-13
Jets: 1-15

NFC North
Packers: 11-5
Vikings: 10-6
Lions: 6-10
Bears: 3-13

AFC North
Browns: 10-6
Ravens: 9-7
Steelers: 6-10
Bengals: 1-15

NFC South
Saints: 10-6
Panthers: 8-7-1
Buccaneers: 4-12
Falcons: 3-12-1

AFC South
Colts: 13-3
Titans: 10-6
Jaguars: 5-11
Texans: 2-14

NFC West
Seahawks: 10-6
Rams: 9-7
49ers: 6-10
Cardinals: 2-14

AFC West
Raiders: 11-5
Broncos: 11-5
Chargers: 5-11
Chiefs: 3-13

Even though there was a team in between, the cold still went 13 and 3 the previous year. And, the team that beat them was one that could be called a team of Destiny, with Bludso's and Belichick retiring. I wonder, are the Colts with that undefeated season and now this Super Bowl team considered the greatest of all time? I would have to go back and see if they won Super Bowls before this, and maybe they need a repeat to really secure that position, but they have to be considered near the top.

Even though there was a team in between, the cold still went 13 and 3 the previous year. And, the team that beat them was one that could be called a team of Destiny, with Bludso's and Belichick retiring. I wonder, are the Colts with that undefeated season and now this Super Bowl team considered the greatest of all time? I would have to go back and see if they won Super Bowls before this, and maybe they need a repeat to really secure that position, but they have to be considered near the top.

Well, Belichick didn’t retire, Parcells did, and so far they’ve won three titles. The only thing to compare them to, the 49ers from 1980 to the early 90s, are still arguably better with 5, but the argument comes from the seasons before the Super Bowls. The Colts, with an undefeated record in one season and a continuous stream of over 11-win seasons, are more accomplished in the regular season.

Thanks, yeah the two Bills got me confused since I am so used to thinking of Belichick with the Patriots.

Bill Parcells will not have to wait to get into the Hall of Fame near as long as he did in our timeline.

Chapter Ten, Part One: Last Bullet Fired, The Lion Returns, A New Look, The 2010 NFL Draft, & The Vegas Gamble
February 10, 2010: Brett Favre announces his second retirement after 18 seasons.

February 16, 2010: Matt Leinart announces his comeback to the NFL, after a dominant season in the CFL, that saw him pass for 28 touchdowns and only five interceptions, along with 4,266 yards. He volunteers to take regular drug tests and is known for a newly rigorous workout regime that is based upon those of Olympians.

February 18, 2010: Matt Leinart begins speaking with the New Orleans Saints.

February 23, 2010: Matt Leinart signs with the New Orleans Saints.

March 4, 2010: Spiral, a television show on HBO about a fictional renowned football family is announced. It stars Armie Hammer as Jack Newell, newly drafted quarterback for the San Fransisco 49ers, David Hasselhoff as Benedict Newell IV, his former Pro Bowler father who won the Super Bowl with the Ravens in 2000 (taking the place of the real Trent Dilfer in this timeline) and now manages him and his brothers, older half-brother Benedict Samson “Rocky” Newell V, a Defensive End for the Los Angeles Raiders, played by Rob Archer, and twin brother Adam Newell, an undrafted wide receiver just signed by the 49ers, played by Chris Evans. Also starring in it are Nathan Stewart-Jarrett as Jack Newell’s teammate Amos Merryweather and Hector Elizondo as Victor DeRosa, the fictional 49ers head coach.

April 22-24, 2010: With the #1 overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select RB Tim Tebow of UCF. (Tim Tebow commits to UCF and is made a running back when considering transferring, he consults a local reverend, who tells him “Son, God’s given you His directions. He wants you to run. It’s up to you to listen to your lord.”) With the #2 overall pick, the Cincinnati Bengals select LB Ronaldo McClain of Ole Miss. With the #3 overall pick, the Houston Texans select QB Mark Sanchez of USC. With the #4 overall pick, the Atlanta Falcons select S Earl Thomas of Texas. With the #18 overall pick, the Los Angeles Rams select DT Ndamukong Suh of Miami. With the #28 overall pick, the Toronto Stallions (from New York Giants) select S Kam Chancellor of Virginia. With the #29 overall pick, the Green Bay Packers select TE Rob Gronkowski of Arizona State. With the #30 overall pick, the Los Angeles Raiders select WR Dez Bryant of Oklahoma State. With the #31 overall pick, the Seattle Seahawks select WR Demaryius Thomas of Georgia. With the #32 overall pick, the Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis) select DE Jason Pierre-Paul out of Florida State. With the #135 overall pick, the Los Angeles Rams select CB Richard Sherman of California.

May 3, 2010: The San Diego Chargers announce their intention to move to Las Vegas, and take the name “Las Vegas Express”. Fearing the blowback faced by the Bills, they announce that in the 2011 NFL Season, they will move to Sam Boyd Stadium, home of the UNLV Rebels, and they plan to complete a stadium in Las Vegas by the 2015 NFL Season.