Under Center: The NFL In The New Millennium

Chapter Sixteen, Part Twelve: Mike Goes Off, Two Suitors Leave, & Trubisky Goes Limp
September 25, 2016: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeat the New Orleans Saints, 24-0, as Michael Vick passes for two touchdowns, 283 yards, rushing for an additional touchdown and 49 yards. AJ McCarron passes for three interceptions and 192 yards and is benched in the fourth quarter in favor of backup Terrell Pryor. Pryor, in turn, passes for 48 yards in the dying minutes of the game, mostly handing the ball off to RB David Johnson. The Saints fall to 0-3 and become the betting favorite for the #1 overall pick, overtaking the surprisingly 2-1 Cincinnati Bengals.

September 27, 2016: Within an hour of one another, both the Baltimore Ravens and Dallas Cowboys announce to the press that they will not pursue Antonio Brown, Baltimore citing a lack of cap space, Dallas the distaste for a deal with the rival 49ers.

September 30, 2016: St. Louis Stars QB Mitch Trubisky announces he will void the rest of his FFL contract and instead declare for the 2017 NFL Draft. Trubisky is expected to be a mid-first round to mid-second round pick, possibly going to the Mexico City Aztecs or Indianapolis Colts.

As always, please comment your thoughts on the latest events, and feel free to DM me about your thoughts, ideas, or random musings. Thanks for reading.

Chapter Sixteen, Part Thirteen: Kingmaker, Trade-O-Mania, Wilson Wins, Lamar's League, & Trubustky
October 1, 2016: Texas QB Patrick Mahomes has nine total touchdowns and 716 total yards against #19 ranked Oklahoma State, leading the #7 Longhorns to a 73-31 victory. Mahomes is considered, along with the #3 Miami Hurricanes QB Baker Mayfield and #1 Tennessee QB Josh Rosen, to be the top contenders for the Heisman trophy. Mahomes will make the cover of Time Magazine for the month of October, as the example of why college athletes should be allowed to profit off of their images, and Sports Illustrated, under the headline “Kingmaker: How Mahomes Could Break the NFL”.

October 3, 2016: It becomes public knowledge that both the Steelers and Raiders attempted to trade for Antonio Brown between September 29-October 1. A leak from within the Steelers organization alleged that the team put two second-rounders and their backup quarterback, rookie Jacoby Brissett, on the table. The Raiders, meanwhile, purportedly offered their 2017 first-rounder along with an anonymous defensive player, speculated to be CB Malcolm Jenkins.

October 9, 2016: The Miami Dolphins defeat the Toronto Stallions, 42-27, as Russell Wilson passes for five touchdowns and rushes for an additional one, passing for 408 yards and rushing for an additional 123 yards, along with a perfect passer rating against the stout Canadian defense. Wilson, an MVP hopeful, gathers hype from many around the league for his understated talent and lack of attitude. He is discussed in the media as the possible “face of the league”, a successor to Drew Brees & Aaron Rodgers, and a contemporary to Andrew Luck and Matt Ryan.

October 13, 2016: After weeks of mounting media suspicion, Lamar Jackson announces that he will stay in the FFL for the foreseeable future, saying:

“So, well, a lot of people have been talking bout this, asking me what I plan on doing. Um, I think that, after talking with my family, my agent, my friends and everyone in my life, I’ve make my decision. I want to stay here in Houston, in the Federal League, and keep lighting up the field out here. I don’t see myself going to the NFL yet, and maybe I just won’t, because right now where I’m at is where I want to be.”

October 15, 2016: Mitch Trubisky becomes the subject of media scrutiny after Colin Cowherd features a reel of Trubisky being unable to throw accurately to his left side. His value as a first-round pick is further questioned after the strength of the 2017 class, which will likely include Patrick Mahomes, Oklahoma’s Deshaun Watson, and Michigan State’s Carson Wentz, is reevaluated, as he lands as the fourth-best quarterback on various draft boards. Mel Kiper Jr., in an appearance on ESPN, puts it as “he simply does not have the Hall of Fame upside of Mahomes, the proven talent of Watson, or the size and mental grit of Wentz. If I had to predict where he would be in five years, I would say either starting for a run-heavy team or playing backup for a northern franchise with an established quarterback.”

As always, please comment your thoughts on the latest events, and feel free to DM me about your thoughts, ideas, or random musings. Thanks for reading.

Ace's Summary
Re-read the TL and thought I'd put together some Super Bowl stats.

XXXVI- St Louis Rams- 42, Pittsburgh Steelers- 38
XXXVII- Pittsburgh Steelers- 28, St Louis Rams- 16
XXXVIII- Indianapolis Colts- 27, Green Bay Packers- 24
XXXIX- New York Giants- 33, Miami Dolphins- 19
XL- Denver Broncos- 51, Philadelphia Eagles- 14
XLI- New York Giants- 21, New England Patriots- 17
XLII- Indianapolis Colts (19-0)- 44, Seattle Seahawks- 41 OT
XLIII- New England Patriots- 36, Green Bay Packers- 27
XLIV- Indianapolis Colts- 52, Seattle Seahawks- 21
XLV- Los Angeles Raiders- 28, Green Bay Packers- 24
XLVI- New York Giants- 41, Toronto Stallions- 38 OTx2
XLVII- New York Giants- 37, Indianapolis Colts- 35
XLVIII- Indianapolis Colts- ?, San Francisco 49ers- ?
XLIX- Los Angeles Rams- 51, Denver Broncos- 21
50- Los Angeles Rams- 31, Toronto Stallions- 27
LI- TBD!

# of championships (Bold indicates a deviation from OTL)

6: Giants (6-1)
5: 49ers (5-1), Cowboys (5-3), Steelers (5-2), Colts (5-2)
4: Raiders (4-1), Rams (4-2)
3: Washington FC (3-2), Broncos (3-5), Packers (3-4)
2: Dolphins (2-4)
1: Jets (1-0), Chiefs (1-1), Bears (1-0), Ravens (1-0), Patriots (1-3)

And as a bonus here's a small timeline of significant events to happen in the League.
  • 2005- New Orleans Saints displaced due to Hurricane Katrina (OTL)
  • 2006- Steve Young is named NFL Commissioner, replacing Paul Tagliabue
  • 2006/07- RoethlisbergerGate
  • 2008- Super Bowl XLII is played in Toronto
    • The Rams and Raiders relocate back to Los Angeles after being away for only 14 years each.
  • 2009- The “Fuck Goodell” Bills relocation controversy ends with the Bills moving and becoming the Toronto Stallions.
  • 2010- The “Express Route Into Hell” Chargers relocation controversy ends with the State of California seizing the team by eminent domain, but later making a Browns-Ravens deal to set up a Las Vegas Express expansion team with the materials and personnel from the Chargers.
  • 2011- SnyderGate leads Dan Snyder to be forced to sell the Washington Redskins, who change their name to (the uninspiring and European) Washington F.C.
    • RoethlisbergerGate II.
    • NFL Labor Dispute of 2011 leads to a late start of the season.
    • Giants and Jets “relocate” back to NYC.
  • 2013- Federal Football League starts up.
    • The NFL eliminates the kickoff.
  • 2014- “Canadian Football Protection & Cultural Preservation Bill of 2014” introduced to preserve the CFL, it fails.
  • 2015- RoethlisbergerGate III.
    • Super Bowl XLIX is played in London.
    • “Red Sunday” in Philly.
  • 2016- London Monarchs and Mexico City Aztecs are expansions added to the NFL, necessitating a conference realignment.
    • NFL begins talks of a buyout of the FFL.
  • 2017- Arizona Cardinals plan to relocate to Calgary, AB
  • 201X?- Likely RoethlisbergerGate IV

1 Year Anniversary Post
Re-read the TL and thought I'd put together some Super Bowl stats.

XXXVI- St Louis Rams- 42, Pittsburgh Steelers- 38
XXXVII- Pittsburgh Steelers- 28, St Louis Rams- 16
XXXVIII- Indianapolis Colts- 27, Green Bay Packers- 24
XXXIX- New York Giants- 33, Miami Dolphins- 19
XL- Denver Broncos- 51, Philadelphia Eagles- 14
XLI- New York Giants- 21, New England Patriots- 17
XLII- Indianapolis Colts (19-0)- 44, Seattle Seahawks- 41 OT
XLIII- New England Patriots- 36, Green Bay Packers- 27
XLIV- Indianapolis Colts- 52, Seattle Seahawks- 21
XLV- Los Angeles Raiders- 28, Green Bay Packers- 24
XLVI- New York Giants- 41, Toronto Stallions- 38 OTx2
XLVII- New York Giants- 37, Indianapolis Colts- 35
XLVIII- Indianapolis Colts- ?, San Francisco 49ers- ?
XLIX- Los Angeles Rams- 51, Denver Broncos- 21
50- Los Angeles Rams- 31, Toronto Stallions- 27
LI- TBD!

# of championships (Bold indicates a deviation from OTL)

6: Giants (6-1)
5: 49ers (5-1), Cowboys (5-3), Steelers (5-2), Colts (5-2)
4: Raiders (4-1), Rams (4-2)
3: Washington FC (3-2), Broncos (3-5), Packers (3-4)
2: Dolphins (2-4)
1: Jets (1-0), Chiefs (1-1), Bears (1-0), Ravens (1-0), Patriots (1-3)

And as a bonus here's a small timeline of significant events to happen in the League.
  • 2005- New Orleans Saints displaced due to Hurricane Katrina (OTL)
  • 2006- Steve Young is named NFL Commissioner, replacing Paul Tagliabue
  • 2006/07- RoethlisbergerGate
  • 2008- Super Bowl XLII is played in Toronto
    • The Rams and Raiders relocate back to Los Angeles after being away for only 14 years each.
  • 2009- The “Fuck Goodell” Bills relocation controversy ends with the Bills moving and becoming the Toronto Stallions.
  • 2010- The “Express Route Into Hell” Chargers relocation controversy ends with the State of California seizing the team by eminent domain, but later making a Browns-Ravens deal to set up a Las Vegas Express expansion team with the materials and personnel from the Chargers.
  • 2011- SnyderGate leads Dan Snyder to be forced to sell the Washington Redskins, who change their name to (the uninspiring and European) Washington F.C.
    • RoethlisbergerGate II.
    • NFL Labor Dispute of 2011 leads to a late start of the season.
    • Giants and Jets “relocate” back to NYC.
  • 2013- Federal Football League starts up.
    • The NFL eliminates the kickoff.
  • 2014- “Canadian Football Protection & Cultural Preservation Bill of 2014” introduced to preserve the CFL, it fails.
  • 2015- RoethlisbergerGate III.
    • Super Bowl XLIX is played in London.
    • “Red Sunday” in Philly.
  • 2016- London Monarchs and Mexico City Aztecs are expansions added to the NFL, necessitating a conference realignment.
    • NFL begins talks of a buyout of the FFL.
  • 2017- Arizona Cardinals plan to relocate to Calgary, AB
  • 201X?- Likely RoethlisbergerGate IV

Wow... never thought about things in that way. I thought I gave the Steelers six (I'm wrong), and I never realize how much I fall back on the trope of "Ben is stupid". Also, I was thinking of calling the "RoethlisbergerGates" something along the lines of "The Denver Disgraces" or something like that, although RoethlisbergerGate is strong itself. Also, looking through the master version of it (all 145 pages), it seems that Super Bowl XL was Broncos-Bears, although the score is accurate, while XXVII is Steelers over Bucs, again, the score is good.

I am truly shocked, as I have been in the past, that my writing has caused others to put in the effort to catalog it, many of you who do comment, do follow it actively, make me so happy that I have and I do write this because you all put in more thought then I did when I started. Originally, when I began typing a year and a half ago, it was a wank of the Manning-Elway Broncos. I had another idea, roughly sketched out, of Ryan Leaf not busting, but instead leaving the Chargers in free agency after his rookie deal expired, signing with the Pats because Bledsoe's injury was butterflied away and replaced with a trade (what's to say that him staying for the 2001 season wouldn't lead to another failure, causing BB to sour on him), and then becoming a megastar in the Belichick system. As it all morphed and combined together, it became this. A year ago today, I posted an admittedly poor initial comment and a boring Q&A explaining what I hoped it would be. Now, there are 36k views on it and we're in the year 2016. So, thank you, everybody, for supporting me, throughout the hiatus and the rocky beginning (and, middle, and everything else). I'll keep on writing this thing.

while XXVII is Steelers over Bucs, again, the score is good.
I think that a Steelers/Rams rematch makes more sense because you have the Greatest Show on Turf going for a third win in four years to cement dynasty status, only to falter and lead to a collapse so severe that the team bolts back to LA before the decade is out.

Just realized you kinda predicted the new Redskins name. I think you had Washington Football Club?

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Pretty cool that this coincidence worked itself out, although, like the real team, I think I’ve already announced the change of that name because it’s pretty bland.

I would like to add that I haven’t forgotten about this TL, I’m just short on inspiration, and I’m currently attempting to refine my writing style and the story going forward. While re-reading this TL, I realized I haven’t followed much of a generalized story at all. Things sort of just happen (not unlike real life, I suppose), and I don’t give too much of a background nor consistent ramifications. Going forward, I’ll try to remedy that, if possible, but it may be a difficult process.

Chapter Sixteen, Part Fourteen: Matthews & Trubisky Speaks
October 16, 2016: The Las Vegas Express defeat the Denver Broncos, 21-10, in a game that sees Ben Roethlisberger injured for the duration of the season. Big Ben injures his elbow due to a Casey Matthews sack while attempting to move out of the pocket. The issue leaves a certifiable “injury-prone” mark on him and creates a situation that leads bookmakers to give -140 odds that Roethlisberger will be playing in another uniform come August 2017. In Roethlisberger’s place, Chad Henne is made the starter.

October 18, 2016: Mitch Trubisky has an interview with ESPN pundit Chris Berman, in response to public ridicule directed at him. The interview, while not garnering ratings generally expected of major sports segments, is positively received, due to Trubisky’s level-headed answers and believable explanations. He stresses the understanding of his own flaws but talks at length about his commitment to continued development. His on-and-off streaks in the FFL come under fire as well, although he says that he made a tough decision to skip much of college, and he suffered in the short term because of it. “Ultimately,” said Trubisky, “I feel like it will, and has, paid off. When I was with Ohio, I was not challenged the same way I was when I was in the FFL. My performance did suffer during the jump because I was playing against more skilled players in a tougher system, and I wasn’t ready early on. But I have what not a lot of quarterback prospects do, and that’s serious experience in a pro league where I’m the starter and I have to take responsibility.”

Last edited:
Chapter Sixteen, Part Fifteen: Saints Snap, Washy Washington, Mahomes Makes It, Takeover, & Beltran Bows Out
October 23, 2016: The New Orleans Saints defeat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 35-6, as AJ McCarron passes for two touchdowns, 274 yards, and Michael Vick passes for one touchdown, 198 yards, and one interception. RB David Johnson of the Saints rushes for 152 yards and three touchdowns. The game marks the Saints’ first win of the season, after going 0-6. Despite the win, they remain the betting favorites for the first overall pick. Commentators remark on the possible blueprint the tough-defense and primarily rushing offense could provide for the Saints if they hope to salvage the season in any way.

October 24, 2016: The New York Giants defeat the Washington Football Club, 42-17, as Drew Brees passes for 401 yards and four touchdowns, to John David Booty’s touchdown, 203 yards, and two interceptions. Before the game, it is announced by Washington that they plan to change their name, with the rebranding being completed by the start of the 2017 season. Official naming options aren’t announced, but possibilities are rumored to include the “Washington Nationals”, the “Washington Hogs”, the “Washington Redtails”, and the “Washington Generals”.

October 29, 2016: Patrick Mahomes bookends a career month by leading #2 Texas to a 38-21 win over #10 Texas A&M, passing for four touchdowns and 433 yards, along with a perfect passer rating. His draft stock rises exponentially, and he is ranked as the #1 quarterback on most draft boards, with a few listing him among the top three players, along with Myles Garrett and Jamal Adams.

October 31, 2016: Donald Trump launches a takeover of the Madison Square Garden company, with the support of Knicks co-owner Michael Bloomberg and his partners in the “Five Boroughs Group” (FBG). The MSG company, which owns both the famous arena and the New York Rangers hockey team, is under the direct ownership of James L. Dolan, former owner of the Knicks and reviled figure in New York sports. The takeover earns public approval, spurned by the already successful tenure the FBG while they oversee the Knicks.

November 2, 2016: New York Mets star Carlos Beltran, the former World Series MVP, one-time home run champion, and one-time NL MVP, famous for his clutch postseason moments, announces his retirement from baseball, following the Mets’ World Series win. First coming to the forefront of the MLB after his 1999 rookie campaign with the Royals, for which he won Rookie of the Year, he would be traded to the Boston Red Sox in 2002, winning the World Series with the team the following year. He would be traded by the Red Sox after the 2003 season, to the St. Louis Cardinals. With the Cardinals, he would appear in three straight World Series from 2007-2009, winning back-to-back in 08-09, and being named World Series MVP in 2008 after hitting the deciding home run in Game Five against the Red Sox. During this time, he would grow into a perennial All-Star, winning several awards for both his batting and fielding, which would lead into a lucrative endorsement deal with Under Armour in 2009. In 2011, he led the National League in home runs and stolen bases, winning the NL MVP Award in a landslide, leading the Albert Pujols-less Cardinals (Pujols had suffered an injury in mid-June forcing him to miss the rest of the season) to the NLCS, where they eventually lost to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Beltran would play a crucial part in the run up to the 2012 World Series, where the Cardinals lost to the Seattle Mariners in six games. In the ensuing offseason, Beltran would sign a four-year contract with the New York Mets, beginning a fruitful late stage of his career that saw him nab All-Star selections each year, punctuated by a World Series win in 2014, and another, in 2016. Beltran is considered a strong Hall of Fame candidate, is listed among the best centerfielders of the 2000s, and of his generation in general.

Chapter Sixteen, Part Sixteen: Adios AB, Adams Is Out, Washington Weakens, Senator Manning, & The Jags Explode
November 2, 2016: Antonio Brown of the San Fransisco 49ers is traded to the London Monarchs for a 2017 second-round draft pick, a 2018 third-round draft pick, and CB Janoris Jenkins. The trade comes just minutes before the deadline, and allows the disgruntled Brown, compared in both temperament and talent to Terrell Owens, to move on from his career team.

November 5, 2016: S Jamal Adams of Tennessee is officially announced as having an injured hand, out for at least a month and a half. Adams, a top prospect in the 2017 Draft, is also a pivotal part on the #1-ranked Tennessee Volunteers. His absence could put their status as national champion-presumptive in jeopardy.

November 7, 2016: The Dallas Cowboys defeat Washington F.C., 27-3, as Kirk Cousins passes for two touchdowns, 263 yards, and an interception, while John David Booty passes for 212 yards and three interceptions. Cowboys’ backup Brock Osweiler, who competed with Cousins for the starter role months earlier, narrowly losing out, is rumored to be speaking with Washington about a possible offseason move to the team once his contract ends. The result, if superstition is to be believed, shows that the incumbent Democratic Party is likely to lose the Presidential Election to be held the following day.

November 8, 2016: Republican Peyton Manning wins the U.S. Senate election for Indiana, defeating Democratic former Senator Evan Bayh, 56.3%-41.7%. Manning follows the tradition of former President Gerald Ford and former Vice Presidential nominee Jack Kemp as football players to pursue (and gain) political office.

November 10, 2016: The Jacksonville Jaguars defeat the Tennessee Titans, 42-0, as Jimmy Garoppolo passes for three touchdowns, 345 yards, and an interception, and Josh McCown passes for four interceptions and 225 yards. The loss underlines the Titans’ fall from playoff contender to mid-level-at-best team, as Josh McCown becomes more and more obviously a game manager, in a transitional period.

Who wins the presidential election? Trump obviously is trying to become a bigger mogul and isn't doing anything political, and I don't see how Hillary Clinton wouldn't be the Democratic nominee still.

Chapter Sixteen, Part Seventeen: Cutler v. Bears, Indianapolis Clowns, & In Memorium
November 10, 2016: On Thursday Night Football, the Green Bay Packers defeat the Chicago Bears, 30-27. Jay Cutler of the Packers passes for two touchdowns and 329 yards, while the Bears’ Robby Bortles passes for two touchdowns, 300 yards (his first career 300-yard passing game) and an interception. The game, considered a top NFC North battle, comes down to an overtime matchup, were the Bears scored a field goal to put themselves ahead 27-24, only to be topped by a Cutler pass, 33 yards downfield, to Calvin Johnson for a game winning touchdown.

November 13, 2016: The New Orleans Saints defeat the Indianapolis Colts, 17-10, in a game that sees AJ McCarron pass for one touchdown, 240 yards, and two interceptions, while Jason Campbell passes for one touchdown and 202 yards, throwing one interception and fumbling twice. The win pulls the Saints further out of the hole, allowing them to climb to 3-6 (3-0 since October 16), before their bye week. The Colts, however, fall to being 2-6, pushing themselves further into the allegations that the team is “wasting” star defensive players, All-Pro Khalil Mack and presumptive Defensive Rookie of the Year Joe Bosa, with little effort put into a stalling offense headed by a badly aged Jason Campbell. The game results in the Colts’ Super Bowl winning head coach, Jim Caldwell, being fired after seven years, interim Head Coach Jim Bob Cooter being installed, and the Colts becoming Vegas’ choice for the #1 overall pick.

November 15, 2016: A league, and very much nation wide tribute to those lost and effected by the Red Sunday is undertaken, to mark the one year anniversary of the event. Among the mourners are Senator-elect Manning, Commissioner Young, Bob Costas, Steelers QB Derek Carr, Eagles QB Ryan Tannehill, the Steelers-owning Rooney Family, President-elect Thune and Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie. Outside of Lincoln Financial Field, a plaque is revealed, along with a small memorial, the memorial carrying the names of those who died in the Red Sunday riots, and the plaque saying the following:

“Here, on November 15, 2015, a football game turned into a tragedy. Never shall we, and never should we, forget or repeat these events, or the loss of life that we carry with us every day. May those who left us find peace in their eternal rest.”