Under Center: The NFL In The New Millennium

Chapter Sixteen, Part Six: Houston Rises, The Foundation Begins, The Dungy Inquiry, Acquisitions Meet Acquiescence, Apollos Rise Above, & Invincible
June 5, 2016: On Federal Football Primetime on CBS, the Houston Roughnecks (3-1) defeat the New York Knights (2-2), 33-21, as Lamar Jackson passes for two touchdowns, 298 yards, and an interception, while he rushes for another two touchdowns and 130 yards. Dwayne Haskins struggles mightily, passing for one touchdown and two interceptions, while Tyreek Hill rushes for a touchdown, 87 yards, and manages to nab the interception thrown by Lamar Jackson. Despite the general lack of competitiveness on the Knights’ side, the game is the highest viewed of the year, owing to the Knights’ popularity in the massive New York market, and Lamar Jackson’s promise, on the Wednesday before the game, to “light up the east coast”, energizes the Houston fanbase.

June 8, 2016: It is announced that the Philadelphia Eagles will not have any games shown on national television for the 2016 NFL Season, as further punishment for Red Sunday. In addition, it is announced that both the Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers will have a portion of their home game revenues donated to the “Red Sunday Foundation”, benefiting the victims of the event, and the rebuilding of the heavily affected areas of Philadelphia.

June 10, 2016: A formal inquiry regarding Red Sunday is opened by the NFL, and officially put in cooperation with the already existent police inquiry. Chaired by Hall of Famer Tony Dungy, it will attempt to find the systemic causes of the events, changes that could be implemented, and possible further punishments for both teams involved.

June 12, 2016: In the FFL bye week, little of consequence happens relating to on-field matters, a stark contrast to the previous two years, but a credit to the drafting and development by each team. It is, however, a big week for the NFL-FFL talks, as it is announced that any purchase would be to make the FFL a minor league, without any new teams being added to the top-flight NFL.

June 19, 2016: On Federal Football Primetime on CBS, the Atlanta Apollos (3-2) defeat the Halifax Sailors (1-4), 25-14, as Davis Webb passes for two touchdowns and 294 yards, while Kyle Lauletta passes for one touchdown, 178 yards, and three interceptions.

June 19, 2016: The Los Angeles Lakers defeat the New York Knicks, 121-120, in overtime of game seven of the NBA Finals, as LeBron James puts up 38 points, 17 assists, and 13 rebounds, on road to being named Finals MVP. James Harden puts up 44 points, 12 assists, and 15 rebounds, although he is haunted by the inability to hit what would have been a game-winning shot in the dying seconds of regulation time. The Finals end what many hoped could be the Knicks team to break the Lakers dynasty, and further cement the league-wide consensus that LeBron’s Lakers are more or less invincible.

As always, please comment your thoughts on the latest events, and feel free to DM me about your thoughts, ideas, or random musings. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think John Madden is the right person for this. He already hit the 80 mark. In OTL he retired from color commentator in 08, so he has been out of it for eight years more or likely ITL. Its likely they get someone who is more modern. Maybe Tony Dungy or Herm Edwards?

Honestly I don't think John Madden is the right person for this. He already hit the 80 mark. In OTL he retired from color commentator in 08, so he has been out of it for eight years more or likely ITL. Its likely they get someone who is more modern. Maybe Tony Dungy or Herm Edwards?

Thank god... I had no idea who to put into there so I looked through several lists of influential NFL figures and thought Madden would be the most convenient. Tony Dungy it is.

Thank god... I had no idea who to put into there so I looked through several lists of influential NFL figures and thought Madden would be the most convenient. Tony Dungy it is.
Yeah I just think Madden is too old, and been out of the game too long for something like this. Dungy is just as well respected as Madden but is still in the loop even if its doing TV instead of coaching. He is a good choice for this inquiry.

Yeah I just think Madden is too old, and been out of the game too long for something like this. Dungy is just as well respected as Madden but is still in the loop even if its doing TV instead of coaching. He is a good choice for this inquiry.

Seriously, thank you, I didn't really know who to ask, so I went with the easiest option in Madden, who is too old and has been too removed from the game, just as you said. Dungy is a much better option.

Chapter Sixteen, Part Seven: Bull Darnold, THE TANK ON THE TANK, Paganout, Trumissky, It's Happening, & Wow Wow Webb
June 25, 2016: With the #3 overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, the Chicago Bulls select PG Sam Darnold out of San Clemente High School. Darnold, also a football player, is the most promising high school prospect in the country and is praised for his quick style of play and silent leadership. He worries some commentators due to his startling turnover rate, and developing footwork. The Bulls, who saw a late-season surge after a sluggish beginning to the year, came up lucky with the high lottery number, and hope to rebuild so they can challenge the Pacers in their division.

June 26, 2016: On Federal Football Primetime on CBS, the San Diego Chargers (2-4) defeat the Denver Diggers (2-4), 31-22, as Nathan “The Tank” Peterman passes for three touchdowns and 302 yards, while Matt Simms passes for one touchdown and 234 yards. The Tank’s performance, while for a team that has been losing for most of the season, is praised, due to his patience in the pocket and strong arm.

June 30, 2016: Chuck Pagano, the Head Coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, announces that he will be forced to take a diminished role in the team due to his ongoing struggle with cancer. Defensive Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach Vic Fangio is announced as new “Deputy Head Coach”, a position essentially giving him the powers and authority of a head coach without depriving Pagano, the de jure Head Coach, of his job. Fangio, who was hired before the 2015 season, helped bring the Jaguars to life on the field, instituting a defense not seen by the franchise since Bill Belichick led them in the early 2000s. He hopes to soon establish the team as a true playoff contender.

July 3, 2016: On Federal Football Primetime on CBS, the Salt Lake Legion (5-2) defeat the St. Louis Stars (3-4), 27-23, as Dak Prescott passes for two touchdowns and 349 yards, fumbling once, and Mitch Trubisky passes for one touchdown and 175 yards, in a performance that earns him the nickname “Trumissky”.

July 4, 2016: The FFL announces it will continue negotiating with the NFL through at least September, adding that talks were “very, very promising” and that the league would “love to join the family of the world’s premier gridiron football league.” It’s One Vanderbilt Tower headquarters, one of the most desired office spaces in New York, would most likely see itself divided up and partially leased, with the new minor league FFL requiring smaller office space as much of its workforce would be either let go or moved to the main NFL headquarters on Park Avenue.

July 10, 2016: On Federal Football Primetime on CBS, the Atlanta Apollos (6-2) defeat the New York Knights (4-4), 31-18, as Davis Webb passes for three touchdowns and 378 yards, while Dwayne Haskins passes for one touchdown, 238 yards, and two interceptions.

As always, please comment your thoughts on the latest events, and feel free to DM me about your thoughts, ideas, or random musings. Thanks for reading.

Chapter Sixteen, Part Eight: Last Week, Championships, Jimmy G Does Jacksonville, & The Jays Go Goodell
July 17, 2016: On Federal Football Primetime on CBS, the Houston Roughnecks (7-2) defeat the Salt Lake Legion (7-2), 22-17, as Lamar Jackson passes for 216 yards and one touchdown, rushing for 106 yards and an additional touchdown. Dak Prescott passes for two touchdowns, and the game-sealing interception, which left the Roughnecks with the win and thus the best record in the Western Conference, at 8-2, to the Legion’s 7-3.

July 24, 2016: In the Eastern Conference Championship game, the Atlanta Apollos (8-2) defeat the Buffalo Mountainmen (7-3), 33-14, as Davis Webb overwhelms the vaunted “Buffalo Beasts”, throwing for four touchdowns and 327 yards. Brian Hoyer passes for one touchdown, 276 yards, and an interception. In the Western Conference Championship game, the Salt Lake Legion (7-3) defeat the Houston Roughnecks (8-2), 24-20, as Dak Prescott passes for two touchdowns, 312 yards, and one interception, while Lamar Jackson passes for 190 yards, one touchdown, and rushes for 126 yards, one touchdown.

July 26, 2016: The Jacksonville Jaguars announce that Jimmy Garoppolo will be their starting quarterback for the 2016 season. With this development, most betting lines in Vegas show that the favorites for Offensive Rookie of the Year are Ezekiel Elliott, Garoppolo (Elliott and Garoppolo are tied), then Jared Goff.

August 1, 2016: Toronto Stallions owner Roger Goodell announces his purchase of the Toronto Blue Jays, effective November 1, 2018. In the time between, a transition team will be brought together, and Goodell will gradually gain more control before fully taking over the franchise.

Chapter Sixteen, Part Nine: Federal Bowl 2016, Death Penalty, & FFL Finale (?)
August 7, 2016: In the Federal Bowl, the Salt Lake Legion (8-3) defeat the Atlanta Apollos (9-2), 56-50, as Dak Prescott passes for six touchdowns, 483 yards, and fumbles twice, while Davis Webb passes for five touchdowns, 504 yards, and an interception. The game is marked by a series of would-be endings, culminating in a last-second touchdown from Prescott that left the score tied 47-47, although when the extra point was snapped, their holder bobbled the ball as time expired, leaving it to go to overtime. In overtime, Webb led his team to a field goal, which was tied by another field goal by the Legion, after a massive run downfield. In the second overtime, Webb was picked off at the goal line, allowing Prescott to go downfield and, through a trick play, pass the game-winning touchdown. Prescott is named Federal Bowl MVP.

August 10, 2016: It is announced that, due to violations with recruiting and eligibility from 2008-2015, #9 Mississippi State will be receiving the “death penalty” from the NCAA, and will be forced to suspend its football program for the two years after the 2016 season.

August 14, 2016: In the annual FFL All-Star weekend flag football game, the Western Conference defeats the Eastern Conference, 23-17. The award winners for the 2016 season were also named, and were follows:

FFL MVP: QB Lamar Jackson, Houston Roughnecks
-16 Passing Touchdowns (7 Interceptions)
-2,033 Passing Yards, 1,416 Rushing Yards
-10 Rushing Touchdowns

FFL Offensive Player of the Year: WR/RB/CB Tyreek “The Freak” Hill
-15 Total Offensive Touchdowns (9 Rushing, 6 Receiving)
-876 Rushing Yards
-939 Receiving Yards

FFL Defensive Player of the Year: LB Joe Schobert, Houston Roughnecks
-13 Sacks
-5 Forced Fumbles, 2 Fumble Recoveries
-2 Interceptions
-2 Total Touchdowns

FFL Quarterback of the Year: Lamar Jackson, Houston Roughnecks

FFL Rookie of the Year: OLB Montez Sweat, Atlanta Apollos
-9.5 Sacks
-2 Forced Fumbles, 1 Fumble Recovery
-1 Interception

FFL Coach of the Year: Marty Schottenheimer, Atlanta Apollos
-2016 Season: 8-2 Regular Season Record
-2016 Eastern Conference Champion
-Federal Bowl Berth

It is announced soon after that there will not be a 2016 FFL Draft due to uncertainties regarding the league’s status the following year.

Last edited:
Honestly I think at this point the FFL would be viewed by the NFL as a buyable minor league system. And given that its a spring league it will not fuck with NFL prime. So I can see the FFL merging into the NFL with a system of getting players who need a bit more seasoning ready before they could hit the big time.

The player's union would be the biggest blocker of this. The NFL would have to give up something big. I would assume it would be increase salary cap, a player only being able to tagged once by a team before they can become a free agent or sign a long term till. More guarantee money with injuries getting the full value of the contact to cover the time they can't play. More veterans on teams. Stop testing for Mary Jane.

The NFL might have to rework the salary cap to get this to work. But if the FFL has enough in the green I can see the NFL buying out the FFL.

Honestly I think at this point the FFL would be viewed by the NFL as a buyable minor league system. And given that its a spring league it will not fuck with NFL prime. So I can see the FFL merging into the NFL with a system of getting players who need a bit more seasoning ready before they could hit the big time.

The player's union would be the biggest blocker of this. The NFL would have to give up something big. I would assume it would be increase salary cap, a player only being able to tagged once by a team before they can become a free agent or sign a long term till. More guarantee money with injuries getting the full value of the contact to cover the time they can't play. More veterans on teams. Stop testing for Mary Jane.

The NFL might have to rework the salary cap to get this to work. But if the FFL has enough in the green I can see the NFL buying out the FFL.

I haven't yet found what they would give up if the purchase were to occur (I haven't even totally made up my mind about that yet), but some of those would definitely find their way into the agreement. Plus, it would be better for veterans to have a fallback, a minor league that could take them as placeholders, coaches, and backups when their careers go south.

Chapter Sixteen, Part Ten: Strike One, Kirk Keeps It, & Opening Day 2016
August 20, 2016: Bill James and the James Inquiry announce that they will force the Yankees to forfeit any first- and second-round drafts pick they possess or may possess in the 2017 MLB Draft. In addition, Yankees GM Brian Cashman will be forcibly suspended until the 2017 All-Star break, with a reduced rate of pay, for his role in the tampering scandal. They also announce that further results of the Inquiry will be released over the following months, with a planned report to end the inquiry expected by the Winter Meetings.

August 26, 2016: Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones announces that, after an extended quarterback controversy, incumbent starter Kirk Cousins will keep his job, beating out promising backup Brock Osweiler. Cousins, called “American’s Quarterback” by Jones, is acknowledged to have shown flashes of brilliance, although consistency has escaped him. Soon after the announcement, it is reported that Osweiler demanded a trade, sick of being a backup.

September 8, 2016: The Los Angeles Rams defeat the Calgary Cardinals, 27-13, as Matt Ryan passes for two touchdowns, 316 yards, while Robert Griffin III passes for no touchdowns, 216 yards, and one interception, rushing for one touchdown and 94 yards. Jim Harbaugh, in his first regular-season game as Calgary’s head coach, calls the loss “the perfect learning opportunity” in a post-game press conference. Griffin’s lack of passing success is attributed to the work of dynamic Rams cornerbacks Richard Sherman and Aqib Talib, who force him to rely on his legs in the otherwise pass-happy Harbaugh offense. The Rams’ still explosive team raises concerns in the league, as talk of a possible three-peat takes over sports columns and television shows.

Great job making this timeline. It’s really good and believable.

The Rams’ still explosive team raises concerns in the league, as talk of a possible three-peat takes over sports columns and television shows.

So the Rams ITTL are basically the Patriots IOTL. I wonder how the league will keep parity, if that even ends up happening.

Last edited:
Great job making this timeline. It’s really good and believable.

So the Rams ITTL are basically the Patriots IOTL. I wonder how the league will keep parity, if that even ends up happening.

Thanks, it's been hard to do sometimes, but it is really a passion project, pure and simple.

I wouldn't say that exactly. The Patriots of this TL may be the Colts or the Giants, although the Colts are going through a lull, and the Giants haven't had the same playoff success. The Rams just happen to be the team of the decade, in many ways. They have some of the best players, one of the best coaches, they just happen to play in a venue that allows them to foster a strong offense, with a defense built to combat the pass.

Chapter Sixteen, Part Eleven: Ringing A Bell, Ben Beats Himself, Jags Join In, & AB Aborts
September 11, 2016: The Kansas City Chiefs defeat the Denver Broncos, 31-14, as the previously struggling Johnny Manziel throws two touchdowns, 298 yards, and rushes for an additional touchdown and 65 yards. Ben Roethlisberger throws just one touchdown, 224 yards, and three interceptions, in a much-covered collapsed, which sees him get into verbal altercations with several coaches on the sidelines, as well as call several audibles late in the game.

September 18, 2016: The Atlanta Falcons defeat the Denver Broncos, 42-3, in a Sunday Night Football game widely discussed in sports media. Andrew Luck passes for four touchdowns, 456 yards while rushing for another touchdown and 46 yards on the ground. Ben Roethlisberger passes for a whopping four interceptions, fumbling once as well, all in all only accumulating 116 yards passing, without any touchdowns. The back-to-back blowouts against the Broncos are widely seen as the signals that an era in the organization may be over, with the man who carried them to much success, Big Ben, finding himself with the label of “washed up”.

September 19, 2016: The Jacksonville Jaguars defeat the New Orleans Saints, 28-14, as Jimmy Garoppolo passes for three touchdowns, 319 yards, and an interception, while AJ McCarron passes for one touchdown, two interceptions, and 217 yards.

September 22, 2016: It is revealed to the media that San Fransisco 49ers WR Antonio Brown requested a trade as soon as possible, citing a deteriorating relationship with the San Fransisco media, and a lack of enthusiasm to the Niners’ lack of playoff success. Teams rumored to be interested include the Pittsburgh Steelers, Los Angeles Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, London Monarchs, and Baltimore Ravens.

Last edited:
It is revealed to the media that San Fransisco 49ers WR Antonio Brown requested a trade as soon as possible, citing a deteriorating relationship with the San Fransisco media, and a lack of enthusiasm to the Niners’ lack of success. Teams rumored to be interested include the Pittsburgh Steelers, Los Angeles Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, London Monarchs, and Baltimore Ravens.
That would be the ultimate irony :p

Ricobirch

Monthly Donor
September 18, 2016: The Atlanta Falcons defeat the Denver Broncos, 42-3, in a Sunday Night Football game widely discussed in sports media. Andrew Luck passes for four touchdowns, 456 yards while rushing for another touchdown and 46 yards on the ground. Ben Roethlisberger passes for a whopping four interceptions, fumbling once as well, all in all only accumulating 116 yards passing, without any touchdowns. The back-to-back blowouts against the Broncos are widely seen as the signals that an era in the organization may be over, with the man who carried them to much success, Big Ben, finding himself with the label of “washed up”.

Well it was a good run.

Taking a look a the 2017 QB draft class.....can't wait for that post.