Una diferente ‘Plus Ultra’ - the Avís-Trastámara Kings of All Spain and the Indies (Updated 11/7)

Btw, would it not make better sense to name Miguel Juan/Joao? That way he could be Juan III of both Castile and Aragon as well as Joao III of Portugal. It would really cement the point of all three kingdoms being under one king.

Btw, would it not make better sense to name Miguel Juan/Joao? That way he could be Juan III of both Castile and Aragon as well as Joao III of Portugal. It would really cement the point of all three kingdoms being under one king.
I know nothing of how sensitive the iberians of the time were about the subject (I guess a lot), but that looks like propaganda gold: Juan/Joao III regardless from which of the kingdoms the speaker comes from. Numeral controversy cancelled at once.

Yes, that was the point, he's the ruler of all of them. It would make the union perhaps less controversial given Aragon and Castile was to become one and also now their neightbour Portugal. If Juan/Joao/Miguel takes special care to merge Aragon with Castile we won't end up with the Aragonese independence tension that Charles V ended up doing.

The key is to crack Aragon for Isabella II and Manuel because they are gonna be less inclined to be ruled by either a woman or a foreinger. That's why it's smarter to kill of Isabella I in 1503, she has already laid the groundwork for her daughter to suceed her and let Ferdinand live a little longer to make sure Juan/Joao/Miguel establishes a powerbase in Aragon (and also to ensure taxes run smoothly, evidently for the hapsburgs Castile bore the brunt of taxation) with his grandfather as a tutor. He has little he needs to learn from his grandmother, his own mother can supply what he needs.

- “Tra Scilla e Cariddi” -

View attachment 310400
Fernando y Luís XII

"Increíble. Carlos se queda en Nápoles por una temporada, y después de diez años Luís piensa que es suya."
- Fernando of Aragon, 1499 (possibly apocryphal)

-Snip-

But the real question is... where's Cesare Borgia?

No but seriously, great job. I wish I had the pictures and the simple yet perfect formatting you do mate.

I don't see why there's any reason for the name to be changed; the boy was in the same situation OTL, and he was named Manuel.

Don't forget that in Aragon he would be named in Catalan, he would be Juan III of Castile, Joan III of Aragon and João III of Portugal.

Charles V is definitely going to be born ITTL, and with all the fabulous genetics that made him both hilarious to look at and incredibly quick-minded as he was OTL. I'm currently mulling over just how Burgundy (read: Netherlands) centric Charles' personal demesne and domestic/foreign policy are going to be, but we'll see the Empire hedged in at nearly all sides by Charles and his inevitable Hapsburg brothers.

Without having to manage the Spanish overseas empire and only having one front to focus on in the war against the Turk, I hope Charles V is remembered more fondly than as simply a failure. Karl V Augustus! :p