Una diferente ‘Plus Ultra’ - the Avís-Trastámara Kings of All Spain and the Indies (Updated 11/7)

I see comparisons between this TL and the TL Portuguese America and Southern Africa the Redux. A very good TL about Spain doing much better than last time.

I also have some questions that I thought of:

1. What will be the Spanish policy towards Korea and the countries of mainland Southeast Asia (AKA Thailand, Vietnam, Kampuchea, etc.)?
  2. Without being dragged in constant wars in Germany and Italy and whatnot, will Spain be there to support the Knights of Rhodes and Malta from Ottoman attacks?
  3. Have the Ottomans thought about going to war against Spain over the latter's North African conquests?
  4. Do the Ottomans have plans to invade Venice's Greek possessions? And if they do would Spain do anything to prevent them from falling into Ottoman hands?
  5. Speaking of North Africa what's the status of Libya?
  6. Do the Habsburgs have any plans to sack Rome like OTL?
  7. If Portugal and Castille have their own colonies, will Aragon be able to have their own as well?
  8. Even without the Spanish in control, will England still interfere in the Netherlands?
  9. Will Spain be able to establish colonies in northern North America this time without the English, French, and Dutch doing so?
  10. Will Poland-Lithuania be performing better in this TL?
  11. Will the Habsburgs be forced to seek to control land through marriage in the rest of Germany (like what they did to Spain in OTL) since they don't have Spain?
  12. What's the status of Switzerland?
  13. How will Venice be fairing in this TL?
  14. Will a Scandinavian Union be able to form in this TL?
  15. What's the African slave trade like right now?
  16. Will Spain be going after territory in the southern Arabian Peninsula and Persian Gulf like what Portugal did in OTL?
  17. Will the French Wars of Religion happen like in OTL? What should we expect from it?
  18. Should we expect serious religious conflict in the British Isles?
  19. What's Ireland going to be like ITTL?
  20. As the religious wars tear across Western Europe, will Spain use this as a way to attract Catholic refugees and others to North Africa? How many can we expect to come?
  21. Why didn't the Ottomans invade Hungary earlier like it did in OTL under Suleiman?

1. Roughly the same as OTL Portugal: IDK about Korea but there is a friendly trading relationship with Siam (unlikely to change), and very little official contact with the rulers of Dai Viet and Kampuchea although private traders and missionaries are active in those regions.

2. Spain will be more active in its naval conflict with the Ottomans over mastery of the Mediterranean, yes. Whether or not this means they will be more successful (at least initially) is hard to tell right now, because without OTL Habsburg rule in Spain they're going to have some trouble getting the HRE Habsburgs to coordinate the war effort and vice versa.

3. Yes, the complaints of numerous North African princes have not fallen on deaf ears with the Sultan. However, the main impetus for Turkish aggression against Spain in the Mediterranean is centered on mastery of the Central/Eastern Mediterranean and over Italy. There is also a desire to break out of the containment placed on them by the Portuguese in the Red Sea and branch out into the Indian Ocean.

4. Right now Venice is in an awkward state of appeasement with the Ottomans in return for continued control of its Mediterranean possessions, which has made them almost universally hated by the Christian world. A growing plurality of Venetians are becoming increasingly unsettled with this arrangement (as are a great many Turks), so it's only a matter of time before Venice is forced into the camp of the inevitable Holy League. The question remains, however: how much is Venice going to lose before it receives assistance from its contemptuous fellow Christians?

5. Libya right now is fairly lawless, divided between desert tribes and corsair-controlled ports (Misrata, Sirte, and Tripoli) which are more or less within Ottoman suzerainty.

6. Seeing as the OTL 1527 Sack of Rome was basically an accident, and a massive embarrassment to Charles V, I doubt the Habsburgs would willingly sack Rome ITTL (although something similar might happen if the pro-Italian/anti-Imperial faction within the curia takes over again).

7. I think it's more likely that the Aragonese will be allowed to participate to a greater extent in Castile and Portugal's colonies, although some cities/regions in Algeria and Tunisia might be made exclusive Aragonese colonies.

8. I think so, yes. The Netherlands are extremely important to nearly all of Europe for trade, especially to Northern Europe, and especially to England. Since England had its Pale of Calais expanded ITTL (as opposed to wiped out entirely as IOTL), they might be content to maintain and solidify what they already have on the continent, or they might see it as a proper springboard to involve themselves more directly in Dutch domestic affairs.

9. They might try, but, as in OTL, they are stretched very thin and North America possesses few attractive reasons for intensive settlement at the moment. The Spanish (at least on a private level) are invested in the Northwestern Atlantic, however, because of the Grand Banks fisheries, and they might butt heads with other Atlantic powers over rights to these rich waters.

10. I'm floating a few ideas about what to do with Poland-Lithuania. As @Jan Olbracht pointed out the circumstances ITTL make a full union between Poland and Lithuania akin to the OTL Union of Lublin unlikely. So with a more separate Poland and Lithuania, a weaker Russia (at least for now), stronger/more numerous cossacks, a weaker Crimean khanate, and other relevant factors, it's all kind of up in the air for right now.

11. I imagine they will, although inheriting some of these states will be difficult due to Salic law.

12. One of the major PODs of this TL is that the Swabian War of 1499 ends in a surprise victory for the Habsburgs, crippling the Swiss Confederacy early on. When the Swiss again attempted to rise against Habsburg overlordship from 1514-1520, they were defeated in what became known as the Fällkrieg, resulting in the annexation of the Three Leagues of the Grisons being annexed into Further Austria and further chastening the Swiss city states. Protestantism in Switzerland therefore is not nearly as comfortable as it was IOTL.

13. You'll find out in the next few updates ;)

14. The lines are being drawn pretty solidly between Sweden and Denmark right now, and as long as that balanced rivalry persists, a Scandinavian Union is unlikely.

15. Sort of similar to OTL, although virtually no slaves are being taken from OTL Senegal and various other places in Africa. The demand for slaves in the Caribbean and Brazil is pretty steep, so even though the Spanish crown and church (and most of the Spanish intelligentsia) might oppose the slave trade, it is still very difficult to enforce any restrictions overseas.

16. Afonso de Albuquerque subjugated Ormus and Muscat like IOTL, and also Aden (which he failed to take IOTL).

17. They are more or less underway as of the mid 1560s. However, TTL's equivalent of the French Wars of Religion is a little different, as the Protestants have consolidated their forces and administration primarily around the Massif Central, and the royal government is significantly less equipped to dislodge them.

18. Without spoiling anything - yes.

19. The English are still going to try and keep it under their control as IOTL, although the fact that England is still Catholic changes the dynamic a bit. I think a lot of people have a tendency to overstate Irish resistance to English occupation as one of the main reasons they remained Catholic IOTL, and fail to realize that their resistance to English occupation was partly fueled by their resistance to Protestantism, not the other way around.

20. I can see the Spanish monarchy inviting Catholic refugees from Northern Europe in, given that Isabel of Castile IOTL and ITTL was keen on settling her kingdom with Flemings and Dutchmen to invigorate the textile industry.

21. They did, in the 1530s. The reason it took longer than IOTL is because the house of Osman was going through yet another succession crisis after the death of Selim (Suleiman the Magnificent also died in 1514 at Chaldiran ITTL), and got reinvested in Hungary due to John Zapolya's request for help in pressing his claim against Charles V. The campaign resulted in the capture of Belgrade and much of the Banat was laid waste, but the Ottomans withdrew from central Hungary due to the difficulty in maintaining supply lines and because of distractions elsewhere. They'll be back soon, however.

I apologize for taking so long with the next update - I've been significantly slowed down by a workplace accident where I fractured my skull and my collarbone. I'm getting close to complete recovery now however, so expect another update soon.

I apologize for taking so long with the next update - I've been significantly slowed down by a workplace accident where I fractured my skull and my collarbone. I'm getting close to complete recovery now however, so expect another update soon.
Holy shit that sounds bad. Just focus on getting better my dude.

You have nothing to apologize for Torbald, your health should definitely come before this.

The timeline will always here man. It's no good to yourself if you're still injured, and it's no good to us to see you working on a TL while you're still injured.

Take your time, once you're at 100% (or feel you're at 100%, these injuries and not a fun time, I've seen this before, so I know.) then you can come to work on it again.

We're a patient folk, we can wait a little longer. :)

We all want you to get better dude. Focus on that. We’ve lost too many people from this site already.

39. The Great Turkish War - Part I: El Reino de África
~ The Great Turkish War ~
Part I:
- El Reino de África -

StraitsOfGibraltar.png

Africa as seen from Gibraltar

After the fall of Granada in 1492, the realms of Spain found themselves in a position to turn the tables on the Islamic powers of North Africa, and by the early 1520s had turned all of their newfound energy towards subduing the Barbary Coast. The combined strength of Portugal, Castile, and Aragon came down on the Western Maghreb at a critical moment, when the decadence, stagnation, and overall debility afflicting the native dynasties had reached its height. The resulting collapse of Wattasid rule in Morocco and Ziyyanid rule in Tlemcen accelerated the downward spiral, and the crisis that developed came close to mirroring the full-scale societal disintegration that occurred after Spanish conquest in the Mesoamerican realms on the other side of the Atlantic. Apart from the depredations of rampaging soldiers and underpaid mercenaries, the downfall of the standing political order led to a disruption of the food supply, causing frequent famines, while surges of refugees in crowded urban centers brought devastating waves of pestilence. It is estimated that - after the battle of Mequínez in 1524 - the population of Morocco declined by as much as a third within two decades.

But the Maghreb was by no means conquered, and the Spanish monarchy exercised little control over North Africa beyond the coastal pale or outside the walls of its ports. The Rif in particular posed more than one obstacle to Spanish involvement in Morocco: apart from the ruggedness of their terrain, the mountains also hosted a high concentration of exiled Mudéjares, renegade Moriscos, and their descendants and Berber allies. For instance, the two principal Riffian cities - Tetuán and Chefchauen - were both refounded in the late 15th century by refugees from the Sultanate of Granada. The Riffians were therefore the closest and most hostile of any of Spain’s enemies, and did not let their proximity to Spanish power cow them into pacifism. Much of the Rif had largely been bypassed by Spanish forces during the Moroccan campaign of Miguel da Paz in 1522-1528 (primarily due to its insignificance), and consequently it had absorbed a substantial number of refugees from elsewhere in Morocco, enlarging its towns and transforming the region into a center of resistance and piracy.

Tetuán especially had become prominent in this regard: it was close enough to the sea to harbor corsairs, but far enough inland to remain out of reach of any Spanish fleet that wished to bombard the city. Tetuán had become a major center of corsair activity and the trading of Christian slaves (with a system of caves in the nearby hills acting as slave pens), and was ruled by a zealous and strong-willed pirate queen, Sayyida al Hurra, who had fled to Morocco with her family after the fall of Granada (and whose father had founded Chefchauen). The plague of Riffian pirates became enough of a nuisance that one of Juan Pelayo’s first actions as king was to give his approval to fortify numerous locales along the Andalucian coast. The port of Almería - devastated by an earthquake in 1522 - was rebuilt with drydocks protected by walled quays and gun batteries, and other seaside towns - namely Málaga, Almuñécar, Torremolinos, Motril, Marbella, Fuengirola, Nerja, Estepona, Roquetas de Mar, Abdera, and Vélez-Málaga - were all re-fortified to deal with the return of Barbary piracy to the Alborán Sea. Gibraltar was also given a new defensive curtain wall after an attack by the Sicilian renegade Ali Hamet captured many of the town’s leading citizens.

As the anticipated Ottoman campaign against Egypt had not yet materialized, Juan Pelayo and his Council of State resolved to expend some of the realm’s pent-up crusading zeal on a cheaper and less daunting undertaking. A strongly worded ultimatum was sent to Sayyida al-Hurra in mid 1540, demanding she release her Christian slaves, surrender the corsairs that were under her protection, and agree to an annual tribute of 80,000 ducats per annum. Confident in the unassailable position of her city and the roughness of the Riffian countryside, Sayyida tore up the ultimatum and sent a letter of her own to the governor of Ceuta, threatening to behead each and every Christian within the walls of Tetuán if the Spanish king attempted to enforce his demands. This would prove to be overconfidence on the pirate queen’s part, having mistaken the past inaction of the Spanish towards the Riffian corsairs as inability.

Rif.png

The Rif

The expedition to Tetuán was quickly turning into a grand affair, pulling in the services of many hidalgos filled with zeal for cruzada y oro. This included the illustrious Hernán Cortés, who - despite being 56 years old - had made an Atlantic crossing to participate in the campaign (hoping to curry royal consideration for the position of viceroy of Nueva Castilla). The number of troops needed to punish a middling corsair port well within range of Spain was never more than a few thousand, but the army being sent to Tetuán eventually numbered more than 15,000. The Crown was conscious that military intervention in the Maghreb was extremely risky business, and even the indomitable Spanish war machine could yet only claim mixed results from its endeavors there. Additionally, the campaign against the free Rif was intended to not just overwhelm a single troublesome port, but rather to drub the entire region and brutalize more than one target in order to properly send a message to the Maghrebi resistance.

The young Juan Pelayo chose to accompany Beltrán de la Cueva, Duke of Alburquerque, and Teodósio I, Duke of Bragança, and these 15,000 troops (4,500 Portuguese, 8,000 Castilians, 1,000 Aragonese, and 1,500 Italian mercenaries) as they were unloaded on the beaches south of Cabo Negro in the fall of 1542 while a squadron of galleons pulverized the defenses set up at the mouth of the Río Martín, effectively cutting off Tetuán from the sea. Al-Hurra had plenty of spies operating on both sides of the Strait of Gibraltar, and had been aware of the magnitude of the Spanish army for many months. The queen scuttled her ships and moved the powder kegs within the city walls, while thousands of able bodied Jebala Berbers converged on Tetuán to help drive back the intrusive infidel. Some 8,000 men and women committed themselves to Tetuán’s defense, but the Spanish were not keen on staying through the winter. A massive ring of gabions were piled up quickly in order to deny the defenders any potshots and to allow the close positioning of dozens of bronze cannons specially forged in Granada and Lisbon. Virtually the entirety of Tetuán’s fortifications were pulverized within 2 weeks, and the inhabitants were unable to flee before Albuquerque and Bragança ordered their men to offer no quarter as they flooded the city. Two and a half days of pillaging were allowed before the Spanish troops were ordered to stand down, and after another week the army continued southeast while 1,200 Portuguese soldiers were stationed in Tetuán indefinitely. Much to the dissatisfaction of the Spaniards, Sayyida al-Hurra evaded capture, and would never be seen again.

The path to Chefchauen was significantly more difficult than that to Tetuán. Although there were only 65 kilometers to cross (roughly 2 to 4 days’ distance for foot soldiers), the Spanish did not reach Chefchauen until 9 days had passed due to the harsh Riffian hill country and its hostile native populace. Between the two towns, the elevation varied between less than 10 and more than 500 meters above the ocean, and the Jebala mountain tribes harassed the Spanish rearguard relentlessly, leading to the retaliatory destruction of the towns of Zinat and Talambote along the way. The Spanish military had extensive experience with such terrain and with hit-and-run struggles, but it was impossible to circumvent the associated damage to morale and timeliness. Luckily, Chefchauen was a much smaller settlement than the previous target, and although the hakim of the kasbah refused to negotiate with the Spanish after learning of the cruelty shown to Tetuán, the walls were penetrated after 3 weeks and the city was fully occupied by 2,000 Portuguese troops before November. As would become common practice, the Christian slaves freed during this campaign would be offered property within or around the settlements in which they were formerly enslaved. This was done as a means of both indemnifying the freed slaves and of populating subjugated Islamic towns with grateful Christian subjects (without the pains of having to ship them over from Spain).

The Spanish-held ports of Morocco would be re-garrisoned and numerous intimidation campaigns were mounted in the following months, directed primarily at the tributary villages in the vicinity of Tangier, Ceuta, Alcácer-Ceguer, Arzila, and Melilla. Intending to get the most out of the shockwaves sent through Northern Morocco by the sacking of Tetuán and Chefchauen, Spanish detachments of varying sizes were also sent to Uxda, Taza, Uezán and Alcácer-Quibir to ensure their continued subservience. The Crown had clearly gotten its point across, as each city allowed the Spanish troops to enter and leave without offering any resistance.

Chefchauen.png

Chefchauen

The decision to garrison Chefchauen - rather than merely pillage it and prop up a compliant local ruler (as was the usual course of action with cities of the North African interior) - marked the first conscious step towards the actual conquest, rather than containment, of the Maghreb. After 1541, the Crown began to make serious, albeit sporadic efforts to sow Christian settlers in its North African possessions. While it was easy enough to induce Spaniards to set up shop within the walls of North African port cities, establishing thriving - or even stable - Christian farming and fishing communities was incredibly onerous, owed primarily to the tendency of mountain-dwelling Berber tribesmen to descend into the valleys and coastal plains to wipe out these intruders, returning to their rugged strongholds before the Spanish had time to organize a response. Consequently, a great deal of importance was placed on establishing new fortifications in the more defensible locations in the interior and appropriating existing kasbahs, in order that Christian fishermen, herdsmen, and cultivators might have a refuge nearby where they might evade marauding locals in a timely manner. An added difficulty came with the fact that the lands most suitable to agriculture and settlement were usually already densely populated with native Muslims, although the populations of many of these regions had certainly been thinned out by decades of warfare and instability.

This intensification of Spain’s involvement in North Africa was not simply the product of religious militancy and lust for plunder. While the North African Muslim was perhaps the common Spaniard’s most hated enemy, there is little to suggest that extermination of the natives of the Maghreb was ever seriously considered to be an ideal outcome. As the Spanish Crown had suddenly found itself ward and suzerain of hundreds of thousands of Muslims (and as thousands of Spaniards were now neighbors to said Muslims), an approach different to that previously employed in European Spain had to be made in regards to governing these nonconformists. Consequently, despite centuries of ill will between Spanish Christians and Maghrebi Muslims, the situation in Spanish North Africa gradually came to reflect not that of 16th century Metropolitan Spain, but rather that of 13th century Iberia: most mosques were left untouched and no attempts at forced conversion were made, relatively peaceful trade relations were established between Spanish settlements and the semi-autonomous Muslim principalities, and negotiation - rather than fogo e sangue - became the norm in resolving potentially violent private disputes between local Christians and Muslims.

NorthAfrica-Spain2.png

Spanish North Africa, c. 1550
(Not shown: Tabarca, Bizerta, and Tunis)

Beyond the cruzado-minded garrison troops or members of the Órdenes Militantes, the Christian inhabitants of North Africa were comparatively impartial in their opinion of their Muslim neighbors, and, despite the frequent religious confrontations, both parties mostly wanted to live in peace. In 1566, the Crown ordered the expulsion of all Muslim inhabitants - whether free or enslaved - of Tangier, Ceuta, and Alcácer-Ceguer. Yet such extreme measures taken against the potential insurrection of Muslims in the Maghreb not only undermined the commercial value of Spanish North Africa, but also threatened the invaluable and constantly delicate continuation of peace between millions of native Muslims and their Spanish hegemons. The general relationship between the Christian and Muslim inhabitants of these ports was so benign, in fact, that many Spanish residents moved elsewhere (such as Arzila or Casabranca) so that they might keep their Islamic servants and maintain their profitable trade arrangements with the Islamic interior.

- Çapraz ve Hilal -

However, all was not well in North Africa, and every blow delivered by the Spanish only reheated the billowing indignation of the non-Christian natives. The chastening of the Rif - while largely successful - was one of the last operations of its kind for many years. Any tangible gains to be made sending thousands of soldiers into rough terrain filled with a hostile populace for the sole purpose of punishing recalcitrance were meager compared to the cost in lives and reales. The sheer expense and trouble involved with squashing two minor targets so close to Spain dissuaded the Avís-Trastámaras from pursuing large-scale conquests in North Africa (and likewise delayed their entry into the 20 Years War until 1545). Additionally, there remained one worrisome obstacle to a fully pacified Morocco. After the dramatic downfall of the Wattasid dynasty, the powerful sharifs of the Saadi dynasty represented the last hope for a united, sovereign Morocco. After the death of Abu Abdallah al-Qaim, head of the Saadian family, at the battle of Mequínez in 1524, their familial holdings in the Sus predictably descended into chaos, but returned to reasonable normalcy in the 1540s under the leadership of Abdallah al-Ghalib. The downfall of Tetuán and Chefchauen had once again intensely soured the attitude of most Moroccans towards the presence of Spaniards in their homeland, and galvanized them into throwing their support behind whomever possessed the strength to liberate them. The Saadians quickly presented themselves as the obvious choice in this regard after conquering the city of Tarudante in 1549, thus disposing its emir, who was a Portuguese puppet.

The fall of Tarudante was disquieting for the Portuguese operating on Morocco's Atlantic Coast, as the Sus had previously been occupied by numerous tribes whose rivalries were exploited by the Spanish in Cabo de Gué in order to acquire cheap prices for the region's grain supply. The tables had suddenly turned to the south of the High Atlas mountains: the important Spanish-held port of Agadir (Santa Cruz to the Portuguese) was obviously the next target for Abdallah al-Ghalib, who had made it clear that after its inevitable fall he would march for Marrakesh and claim the sultanate of Morocco for himself and his successors. The emirs of Marrakesh and Fes - both tributaries of the Spanish crown - had long been seen as obsequious grovelers to the king of Spain, and although Miguel da Paz had promised that his subjects would never enter their domains while armed in their accession treaty in 1530, this guarantee had to be abruptly nullified when numerous attempts on their lives (one of which successfully killed the elderly emir of Fes by poison in 1551) required Spanish intervention.

Beyond Morocco, the other Spanish exclaves were beset by similar anxiety towards their subservient Maghrebi states. After 1546, Ahmad III, the Hafsid ruler of Tunisia, had to deal with a pretender to his throne who claimed to be the real Ahmad (after he seized the city of Kairouan), and who promised his followers that he would personally expel the Spanish from La Goletta. The two Kabyle Berber kingdoms of Kuku and Ait Abbas had likewise begun to turn their eyes to the chronically undermanned Spanish garrisons in Bugia and Algiers. This fearlessness did not materialize out of nowhere, however. Turkish emissaries had in fact been received by Abdallah al-Ghalib, Ahmad the Pretender, and Abdelaziz Labes (sultan of Ait Abbas) in 1553, 1548, and 1556 respectively.

PiriReis.png

Piri Reis' map of the Mediterranean

The Turks had previously invested themselves in the Maghreb in the 1510s, a development which plunged the nascent Spanish presence in North Africa into dire peril. The arrival of Turkish corsairs in the Central and Western Mediterranean brought a wave of unprecedented devastation to Christian shores, spearheaded by the brothers Oruç and Hayreddin Barbarossa. This period had come to a head in 1534, when a coordinated invasion of Turkish and Barbary corsairs came ashore in Puglia and was repulsed by the Spanish in 1534, and a truce with the Ottoman Sultan was secured in January of 1535. The Spanish monarchy had considerable difficulty in stamping out this particular influx of marauding Turkish mariners, only achieving a return to relative normalcy in the Western Mediterranean only after 25 years of carnage and despoliation. The reign of corsairs such as the Barbarossas would have lasted much longer in the Western Mediterranean had Spain not so strongly inserted itself into the Maghreb several years prior.

This conclusion was certainly not the end of Ottoman interest in North Africa. With the whirlwind conquest of the entire Levant and Egypt by 1548, the Ottoman sultan had attained undeniable supremacy amongst his fellow Sunni princes. A war against the Ottomans was no longer just a war against a Turkish state, but was now a war against the entire Dar al-Sunnah. From the Atlantic coast of Morocco all the way to the Straits of Malaca, the Sunni world was finding itself progressively inclined to acknowledge the suzerainty of the Ottoman Empire, and - although the Relics of Muhammad and all the caliphal authority bound up in them had escaped across the Red Sea - the Ottoman Padishah had come to be regarded as the Caliph in all but name. The confidence of the Ottoman Turks under Sultan Mehmet III was beyond staggering, and consequently a new aggression was boldly pursued in nearly every direction - particularly in the Mediterranean. The Ottoman court had become so confident that the Spanish could easily be shaken out of North Africa that in 1555 the grand vizier Rüstem Pasha informed his liege that “the king of Spain has so many commitments, my sovereign, and the province of Africa gives him so much trouble, that it is beyond any doubt that he would surely withdraw his armies from those ports if tested.”

There were numerous vulnerabilities within Spanish society that could also be taken advantage of, the most appealing of which was the presence of hundreds of thousands of Moriscos still living in Spain. Miguel da Paz had attempted to encourage the Moriscos to settle in the cities of Spanish North Africa in order to distance them from the Iberian Peninsula and thereby prevent them from sowing dissent close to the heart of Spain, but eventually an opposite approach had to be undertaken as episodes of Moriscos turning renegade and joining Islamic insurgents in the Maghreb became more common. It was implicitly understood that a large share of Moriscos were only nominally Christian, and a significant percentage of them still practiced their old faith in private. To many Spaniards, such surreptitious activity was proof that the Moriscos had been subdued but not entirely defeated, and that they would need to be kept in line with an iron rod. A more astute observation, however, would reveal the actual culprit behind the Moriscos’ lackluster response to Christianization to be an increasingly superficial catechesis and rampant suspicion and prejudice among the clergy. As the Holy Office of the Inquisition only had jurisdiction over those of the Christian faith, Moriscos were therefore much easier to harass within the confines of the law than Moors, despite being baptized. A Morisco by the name of Francisco Núñez Muley recounted the agitation felt by the Moriscos of Granada in the 1560s: "Day by day our situation worsens, we are maltreated in every way; and this is done by judges and officials… How can people be deprived of their own language, with which they were born and brought up? In Egypt, Syria, Malta and elsewhere there are people like us who speak, read and write in Arabic, and they are Christians like us.”

Moriscos4.png

Moriscos

The misery of many Moriscos who refused to either openly or privately accept Christianity drove them to depart Spain entirely, often bringing with them valuable wealth and expertise and swelling the manpower of Spain's Islamic enemies. It was partially for this reason that the new fortifications constructed in the ports of the Alborán Sea were constructed prior to the conquest of Tetuán - when it came to undermining the nefarious Barbary pirates, it was equally important to prevent their communication with the Moriscos of Spain and restrict the latter's outflow as it was to take direct military action against corsair harbors in North Africa. Relations between the two dominant powers of the Mediterranean were therefore worsened by large numbers of refugees with anti-Spanish leanings that the Ottoman state had absorbed, as a significant portion of the Jews that had been expelled and crypto-Muslims that had emigrated from Spain were ferried east by Turkish galleys to be resettled under the auspices of the High Porte. Just as dangerous to Spain's power projection in the Mediterranean was the persistent tether in which it was held by the Republic of Genoa, and consequently the Ottomans took their first movement against Spain in 1552, with the invasion of the Genoese island of Chios.

As the huge influx of liquid assets available to the Spanish crown in the mid 16th century had allowed the royal treasury almost complete independence from its Italian creditors, the Genoese banking families were poised to lose their preeminence in the financial sector of Spain (and possibly Europe), and consequently had become hell-bent on infiltrating or manipulating the Casa de Prestación in whatever way they could. The Spanish monarchy’s insistence on handpicking its bureaucrats prevented the inclusion of foreigners in the offices of the Casa, meaning that directly controlling royal credit was an impossibility, but the tight commercial links between Genoa and the Spanish merchant class meant that a significant amount of pressure could be placed on the Casa to better serve Genoese interests. What this meant for the Genoese was large concessions in Spanish North Africa, where Italians were rapidly entrenching themselves. The nebulous legal standing of Spanish North Africa east of the Rif - a property of the Spanish monarchy under the administration of the Órdenes Militantes, belonging to neither the crown of Aragon, Castile, or Portugal - allowed an opening for Northern Italian merchants, mercenaries, and settlers that had been shut to them in European Spain, leading to the creation of Italian urban communities that were further augmented by Southern Italians from Spanish Naples and Sicily. In this way, the cities of Bugia, Algiers, Tunis, and the isles of Tabarca and Djerba were essentially Italian colonies under Spanish rule.

For this reason, the Ottoman campaign against Genoa was not merely a long overdue mopping-up of foreign-held islands in the Eastern Mediterranean, but was a deliberate attempt to hack off the grasping fingertips of the Hispano-Genoese maritime conglomerate, drawing it into a naval war that would strain its resources and allow the Turks to assume overlordship of the disgruntled Maghreb and from there take aim at the ultimate target: Rome. The desire of the High Porte to provoke Spain and Genoa into conflict was made clear right away, when Sultan Mehmet III ordered his Kapudan Pasha, Piyale, to seize the isle of Chios (the last major Genoese colony) without any ultimatum issued to the Genoese - an unusual break from Ottoman warmaking protocol. While the Genoese garrison surrendered without resistance, their compatriots at home took this unlawful seizure as a declaration of war, and prepared accordingly. While Juan Pelayo had made the first steps towards reforming the navies of the Spanish realms at the behest of his father’s confidant, Martim Branco da Grândola, in 1545, by 1553 the Spanish navy was still hampered by overreliance on the services of Italian admirals, in particular the Genoese condottiero Andrea Doria.

Castelnuovo.png

Castelnuovo

Hoping to keep the burden of naval warfare equal between Spain and Genoa and nervous about withdrawing ships from Spanish North Africa, Juan Pelayo restrained from taking the fight to the Eastern Mediterranean and instead ordered his galleys to protect Tunis and patrol the Strait of Sicily. The initial encounters with the Turkish corsairs were neither excellent nor hopeless. While one Ottoman fleet was routed near the isle of Lampedusa in 1553, another was able to pass right through the Strait of Messina and ransack the Aeolian Islands, enslaving more than half of its populace. Juan Pelayo eventually yielded to the suggestion of the General-Captain of the Galleys of Spain, Álvaro de Bazán (the Elder), to organize a large fleet to deliver a critical injury to the Ottoman navy when news arrived that the Spanish-garrisoned port of Castelnuovo had been encircled by 50,000 Turkish troops. Castelnuovo allowed the Spanish a presence on the Balkans, and therefore represented a significant shield against an Ottoman invasion of Southern Italy. Meeting with Genoese and Spanish ambassadors from at the Pontifical Palace in August of 1553, Pope Ignatius I agreed to join the warships of the Papal States to those of Genoa and Spain as part of a Holy League against the Turks. Giovanni Battista Doria, the 84 year old Doge of Genoa, appointed his son, Nicolò, to lead 50 Genoese galleys to Naples, where they would be joined by another 40 galleys from Spain and 20 galleys from the Pope, after which the fleet of the Holy League would proceed eastward to the Strait of Otranto to intercept 95 Ottoman galleys reported to be rounding the Peloponnese on its way to encircle Castelnuovo.

However, the galleys flying the banners of the Ottoman Sultan were no longer the disorderly vultures that once sailed under the Barbarossas. Since the completion of Sultan Musa’s Imperial Arsenal in Konstantiniyye, the Ottoman navy had been transformed into a disciplined and deadly fighting force under the guidance of accomplished admirals such as Dragut, Piali Pasha, and Piri Reis. The corsair Sinan Reis was chosen to lead the Ottoman fleet - a solid choice, as Sinan was born into a family of Sephardi Jews who had been expelled from Spain by the Alhambra Decree, and was therefore especially resentful towards the Spaniards. Misfortune in Italy also hampered the Holy League from the very beginning. Unexpectedly, Pope Ignatius I passed away at the age of 62 in February of 1554, and the papacy was once again seized by a group of cardinals who were long-embittered over the perceived interference of foreign powers and the rigid anti-corruption of Reform Catholicism. This reactionary faction was able to successfully outmaneuver the Spanish and Imperial factions by capitalizing on their disagreement over candidates and their bad luck in nomination. For Charles von Hapsburg, he was unable to convince his first candidate, Cristoforo Madruzzo, Prince-Bishop of Trent, to give up his prince-bishopric and his second candidate, Joris van Egmont, Bishop of Utrecht, was unpopular with his fellow cardinals. For Juan Pelayo, his favored cardinal, Bartolomé Carranza, Archbishop of Toledo, had become entangled in controversy in 1553 when he was investigated by the Inquisition for sympathy with Martin Luther. The conclave ultimately chose as Pope Paul IV the Neapolitan cardinal Gian Pietro Carafa, who had been bishop in multiple locations in Lazio and was mentored by his relative, Cardinal Oliviero Carafa, an old school Italian Renaissance churchman determined to keep the papacy in Roman hands. This election was untimely for Spain and Genoa, who found the new pope disinclined to dispense funding from the papal treasury.

PopePaulIV.png

Pope Paul IV

This led to mixed orders for the leader of the Papal fleet, Giovanni Grimani, which in turn led to heated arguments between the leaders of the Holy League’s armada at Naples. Exasperated with the change in Papal management and impatient to relieve Castelnuovo, the Spanish and Genoese ships departed without their allies and succeeded in catching Sinan Pasha as his fleet collected freshwater off the isle of Vido on the 27th of September in 1554. The battle unfolded predictably, but soon the inequality between the combatants became apparent. Unlike the leadership of the Holy League, the Turkish fleet was under the sole command of Sinan, who easily utilized the discrepancy between his many different opposing admirals, who hesitated to engage the Ottoman center and had decided to advance before the wind was in their favor. By the time Nicolò Doria sounded the retreat, 45 ships had been destroyed or captured by the Ottomans, who had lost only 5 galleys of their own. To add insult to injury, the Christian fleet was gruesomely demolished within sight of the port of Corfu, where the Christian Venetians sat by in their neutrality. Despite having inflicted thousands of casualties on the Turks more than 300 kilometers away, the Spanish garrison in Castelnuovo numbered only 600 when word arrived of the disaster at Vido. The remaining Spaniards chose to sally forth from the fort and make their last stand. There were no survivors.

With Spain and Genoa sent reeling from the Eastern Mediterranean after Vido, the black hulls of corsair ships began to appear regularly off the coast of Southern Italy. Further east, Mehmet III left behind the old Ottoman support of John Zápolya’s ambition for the Hungarian throne and acknowledged the legitimacy of Charles V’s claim to Hungary, while simultaneously assembling a massive army to enter the Pannonian Basin from Belgrade. The Ottoman threat was not solely felt by Europe, however, and to the east the Turks were likewise in contest with the Safavid Shahs over ownership of the Fertile Crescent. With access to the Red Sea via Egypt, the High Porte had become keen on entering the politics and trade routes of the Indian Ocean in order to pry at least a small part of the lucrative spice trade from the Portuguese, and there were plenty of local Muslim polities (the sultanates of Ahmadnagar, Bijapur, and Gujarat in particular) who were more than happy to assist. The long anticipated conflict between the great powers of Christendom and the Ottoman-led Sunni world had finally begun in earnest, but it arrived with an acute sense of foreboding for the Christians.

BattleOfPreveza.jpg

The Battle of Vido

Last edited:
I hope that this epic, global-spanning conflict between the Spanish and Ottoman empires - will result in Spain becoming the premier ground-based and naval military power in the world.

So the Vido naval battle could be considered as an reverse Lepanto?
Also seems that battle would have been only the first major battle of the seems would be a war that would be fought from Gibraltar and the Rif mountains to the Indian ocean and the India...

Last edited:
So nice to see this back!! I really liked the mention of Hernán Cortés... didn't expect to see him mentioned again. I love the map of Spanish North Africa and am really interested in the future development of demographics (with all those Italians settling there and whatnot) of the region.

I wonder if the Ottomans are preparing for an invasion of Spanish North Africa through Egypt. That’s be one hell of a colossal war there.
I don't think that they would want or need to will do it in this way... I guess that given the logistics and the help of the locals inhabitants that would be ready to rebel would be more easy to isolate the outposts/cities garrisons through a navy blockade and then supporting the locals rebels disembark theirs troops and siege/assault the Spanish positions... Of course to do it they would need that their fleet defeat and/or dissuade the Spanish and Genoans fleets attempting to broken the blockade to try to help/relieve the siege to their isolated garrisons...

I don't think that they would want or need to will do it in this way... I guess that given the logistics and the help of the locals inhabitants that would be ready to rebel would be more easy to isolate the outposts/cities garrisons through a navy blockade and then supporting the locals rebels disembark theirs troops and siege/assault the Spanish positions... Of course to do it they would need that their fleet defeat and/or dissuade the Spanish and Genoans fleets attempting to broken the blockade to try to help/relieve the siege to their isolated garrisons...

They could also take the land route through Egypt and Libya to reach the Spanish possessions.

The chief logistical issue I believe is actually that it would probably be more efficient to move ottoman troops by sea rather than by land for even if the local population of North Africa is friendly to the Ottomans it's still a very long distance to be marching troops overland.

Very nice, just as I catch up with this timeline it starts updating again. Maybe it was my like bombardment as I went through it that helped a bit :p Love the timeline needless to say, here are some thoughts I have on my mind right now, more to follow later:

-Seems Juan Pelayo's heir has no heirs of his own. Does this mean a potential female inheritance or will Juan's brother or his kid come to rule?

-De Medici seem to be still scoring good matches, I see them in the Spanish bloodline even now. I thought they lost their city to Cesare? How are they still relevant?

-I think this is a great timeline overall but if I have any complaints it is you are too afraid to really follow where your story takes you. This empowered Spain, and you have improved them in every way that I can see, should be having an even bigger impact on the world. They should get more of NA than historically, maybe try to get a better trade position in the low countries, Protestantism seems to be having more success rather than less... I am gonna guess you maybe plan to have them suffer a decline in the following two centuries as they did to English and Dutch historically? But a Spain, at least the one you show us should not be having a decline, rather the opposite since most systemic faults have been fixed. It should be like the British Empire if it had a head start, less competition and more luck. If you have built up a Spain that is bigger, healthier and so on, then follow through and let it have an appropriately sized impact on the world.
Related to this, your butterflies seem to be crippled. Fairly little has changed decades into the TL. But more importantly how unlikely is it that the same kinds of people are being born years after POD. Maybe historical/family inertia would give them the same name but how likely is it that a particular sperm meets a particular egg even with a POD as minor as the wind blowing the other way in Hawaii 3 months ago... point I am trying to make such delicate processes would quickly get thrown off course which would throw off bigger events and so on. Those people should have wildly different personalities and motivations even if named the same.
While this is unscientific I get why some authors would do this. By leaning on actual history and changing it only slightly you can spare yourself a lot of work of thinking up whole new people, events and whole new cultures for every part of the world. So if this is a stylistic choice then fine, but I felt to bring it up in case it wasn't.

-TTL Spain is coming together painfully slow, but I suppose if it is done with a minimum of force it will be a better union than the one that happened OTL where even to this day we are seeing the repercussions of the Iberian Wedding in the daily news. My gut feeling is that Spain TTL will be a lot like Britain is OTL, biggest empire ever that was largely given up peacefully and is now one of the leading countries of the world despite being a shadow of what it was. Not a bad outcome at all, though I personally would prefer if they found a way to integrate their colonies and keep them in the modern era

Great timeline once again. Very well written. Very detailed... perhaps too detailed :p I fear with this level of focus it will take you years to reach 1650 let alone more ;) Either way I love it and I can't wait for more. Great job @Torbald

Very nice, just as I catch up with this timeline it starts updating again. Maybe it was my like bombardment as I went through it that helped a bit :p Love the timeline needless to say, here are some thoughts I have on my mind right now, more to follow later:

-Seems Juan Pelayo's heir has no heirs of his own. Does this mean a potential female inheritance or will Juan's brother or his kid come to rule?

Thank you very much :)

The Infante Gabriel indeed has no sons, and (spoiler) will not have any in the future. His younger brother, Miguel Alfonso, however, does have a son. In the interest of keeping things within the family, there is more than likely going to be a marriage arranged between Juan Alfonso and his first cousin Micaela.

-De Medici seem to be still scoring good matches, I see them in the Spanish bloodline even now. I thought they lost their city to Cesare? How are they still relevant?

The Medicis may have been booted from Florence (they relocated to Naples due to the friendliness of Infante Fernando de Portugal), but they still have property in Tuscany and Lazio, a number of strategic marriages, and the prestige of having once held the papacy. They're holding on to these facets to remain as relevant as possible, although they've entered into their gradual decline and the marriages you see between them and the Avis-Trastamaras are most likely the last interactions between them and the real power brokers of Europe.

-I think this is a great timeline overall but if I have any complaints it is you are too afraid to really follow where your story takes you. This empowered Spain, and you have improved them in every way that I can see, should be having an even bigger impact on the world. They should get more of NA than historically, maybe try to get a better trade position in the low countries, Protestantism seems to be having more success rather than less... I am gonna guess you maybe plan to have them suffer a decline in the following two centuries as they did to English and Dutch historically? But a Spain, at least the one you show us should not be having a decline, rather the opposite since most systemic faults have been fixed. It should be like the British Empire if it had a head start, less competition and more luck. If you have built up a Spain that is bigger, healthier and so on, then follow through and let it have an appropriately sized impact on the world.

I never intended to make this TL a Spain-wank (not that that's what you're suggesting I do), and consequently I feel I must keep certain things realistic in regards to the foresight or intelligence of the Spanish leadership. I have noticed in OTL history that - more often than not - the wisest initiatives simply fall by the wayside and the luckiest outcomes tend not to be followed upon. Spain ITTL may have been saved from being financially wrung out by the 80 Years War and other similar escapades in North/Central Europe, but with this all this money now free to use, we have to ask ourselves: where would a 16th century Iberian Union use it? Obviously more of it would be spent on actually beneficial programs, such as roads, hospitals, irrigation, art/culture, etc. However, 16th century Spain and Portugal were highly militarized societies, and their monarchs and nobles were enticed by the idea of waging holy war. Without most of the OTL distractions of war in Europe, Spain needs a place to direct its aggressive energy - which in this scenario is most likely going to be in North Africa and in the overseas colonies.

I think it goes without saying that attempting to dominate North Africa while also projecting power in regions thousands of miles away are both programs that could easily turn out be just as expensive as the 80 Years War + the Italian Wars. While Spain will be much more successful in North Africa and overseas than IOTL, it is unlikely that this success won't come at a serious cost. Similarly, while the kings of Spain ITTL may be able to pay more attention to reforming Spain than they were IOTL, there are certain obstacles - such as a largely un-taxable nobility, preference shown to the wool industry at the expense of the farming industry, and inviolable separation between the three Spanish crowns - that the Spanish monarchy cannot find the motivation or rational to promptly fix (at least, not without serious resistance).

In regards to a decline of Spain - don't expect anything as catastrophic as what happened to Spain or Portugal IOTL. However, declines are simply a fact of life for empires (although Spain's decline ITTL will be closer to that of the OTL British Empire, as you said), and the incoming chaos of the price revolution is still going to happen (albeit not as severely for Spain due to bureaucratic innovations such as the Casa de Prestacion). In regards to colonizing North America, it makes more sense to the Spanish to more fully develop the possessions they already have (the Caribbean, Central & South America, etc. already need more settlers due to the chronically decreasing native populations) while also consolidating their control on strategic locations (particularly in Asia and Africa) in order to protect their trade routes, rather than spread themselves even more thinly in a region where there is little apparent economical opportunity (North America is not a very profitable investment at this point without a large settler population, control of the fur trade, or a strain of tobacco that can grow in the Southeast).

All this being said, don't worry, Spain ITTL will have the appropriately sized impact on the world that you mention :)

Related to this, your butterflies seem to be crippled. Fairly little has changed decades into the TL. But more importantly how unlikely is it that the same kinds of people are being born years after POD. Maybe historical/family inertia would give them the same name but how likely is it that a particular sperm meets a particular egg even with a POD as minor as the wind blowing the other way in Hawaii 3 months ago... point I am trying to make such delicate processes would quickly get thrown off course which would throw off bigger events and so on. Those people should have wildly different personalities and motivations even if named the same.
While this is unscientific I get why some authors would do this. By leaning on actual history and changing it only slightly you can spare yourself a lot of work of thinking up whole new people, events and whole new cultures for every part of the world. So if this is a stylistic choice then fine, but I felt to bring it up in case it wasn't.

It takes a while for the butterflies to really turn things upside down - TTL's 16th century will have a lot of similarities to that of OTL, but TTL's 19th century will be virtually unrecognizable. There have been a lot of opinions about whether or not PoDs in this TL should affect whether or not a certain OTL figure is born (Lajos II of Hungary in particular), but most of the OTL figures have ceased being born/been replaced by different fictional figures at this point in the TL. My occasional reliance on some OTL figures and OTL events is due to (A) their existing documentation, which allows me to go into greater detail, (B) the need to keep things somewhat tethered to OTL history until the butterflies erase most of it, and (C) saving time so that I can put out updates faster, simply put.

-TTL Spain is coming together painfully slow, but I suppose if it is done with a minimum of force it will be a better union than the one that happened OTL where even to this day we are seeing the repercussions of the Iberian Wedding in the daily news. My gut feeling is that Spain TTL will be a lot like Britain is OTL, biggest empire ever that was largely given up peacefully and is now one of the leading countries of the world despite being a shadow of what it was. Not a bad outcome at all, though I personally would prefer if they found a way to integrate their colonies and keep them in the modern era

Great timeline once again. Very well written. Very detailed... perhaps too detailed :p I fear with this level of focus it will take you years to reach 1650 let alone more ;) Either way I love it and I can't wait for more. Great job @Torbald

Nation-states that are made up of a union of different cultures tend to have a lot of difficulty keeping everyone compliant. Even when considering the union of Great Britain, it took centuries of violence and intrigue to firmly bind Scotland to England, and even today there is considerable support for independence. OTL Spain in fact made very little effort to meld the legal/cultural makeup of Castile and Aragon until another foreign dynasty (the Bourbons) came to power, so the same approach is mostly being followed ITTL as well. Also, the Avis-Trastamaras may bear the name of both their Portuguese and Castilian ancestors, but they are a distinctly Portuguese dynasty for the first couple generations (While Miguel da Paz and Juan Pelayo were both required to be multilingual, Portuguese was still their first language). This is another facet that (combined with Castile's superior population size) adds to the confusion as to which culture/language should be made dominant in Spain.

You are right that there will be a resemblance to the OTL British Empire for TTL Spain, especially considering the greater focus on naval superiority due to the inclusion of Portugal within the union. Likewise, there will be certain overseas possessions that are held by Spain in the modern era (not specifying which, though).

And thank you again :)