Votes: 14 13.2%
  • British SAS

Votes: 78 73.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Both sides wiped out

Votes: 5 4.7%

• Total voters
The raw material tells the whole story- the SAS is more likely to have a greater proportion of recruits who have been glassing people in bar brawls since the age of 12.

And of course, thanks to British Licensing laws (compared to US ones), the SAS have more experience of being in bars - and more experience in holding their drink.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Riain

Banned
Flocc, I can only repeat what I've read in a number of scattered sources. I did hear one Aussie clearence diver who was in Iraq in 1991 say that the SEALs methods didn't impress him even if their equipment did.

That said, I'm sure they do a great job, but at the most elite level I don't think they're the best is all.

Rifles- to me! Stand fast, South Essex!
Actually, hell, in a bar fight I'd say Wellington's Peninsular Army takes all comers. Helped by the fact that Sharpe would quite happily bring a cannon to a bar brawl, if possible.

If we are going to talk about past generations then the guys from 1914-18 would in all likelihood would undoubtedly be near the top of the barroom brawl league and so come to that would the archers of the 100 year war.

If we are going to talk about past generations then the guys from 1914-18 would in all likelihood would undoubtedly be near the top of the barroom brawl league and so come to that would the archers of the 100 year war.

The archers would be at the top I'd say - the Old Contemptibles and other relatively recent sorts would have the enthusiasm, but being able to use a 150 lb draw weight longbow properly requires *serious* upper body strength. Those guys would be able to punch your face through the back of your skull...

SAS delay SEALS until the Gurkhas arrive and let them take over...

...following day there is a hell of a lot of cheap American pork on sale at the local butchers...

Better make that the Australian guys from WWI. :D

So now the thread is successfully hijacked to a barroom brawl league, RESULT!:cool:

Better make that the Australian guys from WWI. :D

I wouldn't argue with that.:eek:

RPW@CY said:
The archers would be at the top I'd say - the Old Contemptibles and other relatively recent sorts would have the enthusiasm, but being able to use a 150 lb draw weight longbow properly requires *serious* upper body strength. Those guys would be able to punch your face through the back of your skull...

or that.:cool:

Last edited:
This is a very difficult one. The SAS have never faced an emeny special forces unit equivelent to the US Navy Seals. But my money would be on the SAS because they are more experienced and have a significantly higher ratio of successes to failures compared to US special forces.
Also, most nations regard the SAS as the world's most elite special forces unit.

In a battle between a U.S. Navy SEAL tema (i.e. 120 men) against a comparatively-sized force of British SAS, who would emerge the victor? Both are armed and equipped in their respective fashion and the battle takes place in... well, wherever.

A US Navy Seal Team is 120 man-strong?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
A US Navy Seal Team is 120 man-strong?

SEAL teams operate as boat crews (7 men, the number that will fit into a semi rigid inflatable raft), normally in pairs (14 men) depending on the mission. A full Seal Team is much larger than 120 men (right now the Teams are around 2,500 men, in 8-9 teams). SAS numbers are a bit more difficult to figure out (rather like the U.S. Delta detachment or one of the even more shadowy U.S. SPECOPS units).

Is it true that US Navy Seals are trained by by Royal Marines?

This suggests that despite being a special forces unit they are at the top of the tree the way the SAS or Delta Force are.

Is it true that US Navy Seals are trained by by Royal Marines?
They might train with them, but I doubt they're trained by them.

You might be thinking of the SBS, but again, the SEALs probably train with them rather than are trained by them.

I'd like to throw Huscarls into the mix, anyone who couild swing a daneaxe and not only make it (alledgedly) go throw the next of a horse but also through the chainmail of the rider and stop in his spine has to be considered.

They might train with them, but I doubt they're trained by them.

You might be thinking of the SBS, but again, the SEALs probably train with them rather than are trained by them.

Well, you see, that's what I would have thought, that is why it stood out when someone told me that SEALs were trained by RMs - the guy was suggesting that SEAL capabilities or different to how they are sometimes presented.

A quick web hunt reveals that this SEAL vs SAS question has been asked before.

Well, you see, that's what I would have thought, that is why it stood out when someone told me that SEALs were trained by RMs - the guy was suggesting that SEAL capabilities or different to how they are sometimes presented.

A quick web hunt reveals that this SEAL vs SAS question has been asked before.

No, the SEALs are not trained by the Royal Marines or any British special forces unit. The training program SEALs go through is called BUD/S, and recruits are trained by former SEALs turned instructors. Kind of like boot camp from hell; I suppose they call don't call it Hell Week for nothin'.

However, the SEALs do train with both the SAS and the SBS (Special Boat Service). Cross-training between US and UK special forces teams is quite common ... I've even heard of the USCG AST teams cross-training with their UK counterparts.

Yes, with their gigantic overdeveloped drawing arms :D

I'd like to throw Huscarls into the mix, anyone who couild swing a daneaxe and not only make it (alledgedly) go throw the next of a horse but also through the chainmail of the rider and stop in his spine has to be considered.

True- assuming you're referring to the huscarls of the Anglo-Saxon kings, or the Varangian Guard who performed pretty much the same function. The Anglo-Saxon huscarls also seem to have been more disciplined than most mediaeval infantry.

Who would be refereeing the international hardest bar fighters of all time comntest? Some kind of unholy international union of barkeeps and landlords? 'cos if not my money is on them... or pirates. 90% of pirates are weened straight off breast milk and on to rum and fighting.