Two of a Kind - A Syd Barrett Timeline

Is a Pink Floyd Triple album plausible? (Information below)

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you read my profile, you'll see that I am addicted to Pink Floyd, am I right? ABSOLUTELY YES!!!
(Inspired on my old Pink Floyd/Syd Barrett alternate history on Wikia, An Alternate Pink Floyd. I don't like that much.)

2448922.jpg

Syd Barrett.

Hello, and this is a Syd Barrett timeline that I'll take that obvious PoD, "What would happen if Syd Barrett hadn't stopped to make music?". These are the steps that I'll take:

1. The main PoD would be in 1968, The Pink Floyd still remains with Syd Barrett until 1970.

Obviously, I'll have to make fake songs to Syd Barrett. (unfortunately, I hate to do it)

3. I'll try to be plausible as possible. (plus Also try to make Syd famous)

4. Divide Syd Barrett timeline in four eras (Late 60's and the Early 70's/Late 70's/The 80's/Contemporary Barrett)

5. Barrett won't die in 2006 as IOTL.

Late 60's/1968-1970: We can repeat twice! (Part One)

pink001.jpg

The Pink Floyd in 1967.
Success

Syd Barrett and The Pink Floyd were happy with the success of their debut album, 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn'. The album peaked at #6 in UK Album Charts and #131 at the Billboard 200. The band was also looking for the future, with new songs written and ready to record, such as 'Apples and Oranges', by Syd Barrett, 'Remember a Day', by Richard Wright, and 'Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun', by Roger Waters. Originally, Set the Controls was purposed to appear at The Piper, but the idea was discarded, because the album was almost finished.

In November 1967, The Pink Floyd made their first tour in the United States. The songs, in order, were 'Arnold Layne', 'Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun', 'Matilda Mother', 'Pow R. Toc H.', 'Flaming', 'The Gnome', 'Chapter 24', 'Remember a Day', 'Apples and Oranges', 'Reaction in G', and the last song was 'Scream Thy Last Scream'. The encore was 'See Emily Play'. The band appeared at the American Bandstand, playing 'Apples and Oranges' and 'See Emily Play'.

"[...] And we are looking forward to our next album...", Syd Barrett. "...some songs of our setlist aren't on 'The Piper', we are deciding between release them as singles or make an album." (American Bandstand, 1967)

Otherwise, the American tour was short, lasting for one week (4-12 November). The Pink Floyd would return and start the production to their second studio album.

Apples and Oranges (single)
ApplesandOranges.jpg

Cover of the single.

The Pink Floyd would re-work into a studio version of the song and release as a single. Wright opted to hold his song, 'Paintbox', to another opportunity. "Maybe an album. The song would fit well on an album, not as a single.", Richard Wright. With Rick denying 'Paintbox' to a possible B-side, the band had nothing else but choose a song from their album. 'Matilda Mother' was the chosen one for its success at the band's concerts.

The single was issued, mixed, and released as stereo, and made a certain success, somewhat less than 'Arnold Layne' or 'See Emily Play', boosted by its B side. Apples and Oranges peaked at #11 at the UK single charts.¹

We need another guitarist

Roger Waters and Syd Barrett, the "leaders" of The Pink Floyd, were thinking on a new guitarist. During a concert, Nick Mason approached a young guitarist called David Gilmour, asking "If he didn't want to join the band, when possible?".² They had an idea to invite Jeff Beck but it was eventually discarded. After all, in the early 1968, Gilmour was called at the EMI Studios to do some auditions to join the band.

"He had a different style of playing the guitar than Syd, but was also a great singer. While Syd how to make a free-form presentation, Gilmour was, technically, very precise. But he knew how to play 'Interstellar Overdrive' or 'Set the Controls', that was what mattered at the moment.", Nick Mason. David's guitar was another bridge between Barrett's experimental works and Wright's organ.

David's works were with his Cambridge band, 'Joker's Wild', which recorded an EP, and as a session musician, working with Michael Magne to his film, 'A Coeur Joie' (Two Weeks in September), singing two tracks.

Slowly getting away

"During the recording sessions, Barrett was doing a good job as always.", Mason. "But, lately, he was quiet. Syd is pretty talkative, especially with Roger or Rick. Even with Dave he's talking well again.". Despite of work with his friends, Syd was stressed of the success and fame of their singles and debut album, and etc. He was planning to left The Pink Floyd after their next tour.

Improving the songwriting skills

On their debut album, 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn', from eleven songs, ten were written or co-written by Syd Barrett. This would change insanely on their next album. Roger and Rick were also writing their songs, besides Set the Controls or Remember a Day. This does not mean that Barrett stopped to write new songs: 'Vegetable Man' and 'Jugband Blues' were ready. One was a acid song, with heavy experimental passages, and the other a pastoral/folk song.

Notes:
[¹] Apples and Oranges in OTL was released as mono, and failed to break into the UK charts.
[²] IOTL This happened, but the purpose would be for Gilmour to gradually replace Syd.

Last edited:
I'm keen to see what wonders this timeline will produce, and will be following it avidly.
I would love to see a collaboration with Robyn Hitchcock at some stage but will wait and let you tell the story.
Thank you.

Well, posted a poll. I'm very undecided if I really would do this, because I think it would come out a bit from the context of the band, so I need your help. Should The Pink Floyd attend Woodstock?

Late 60's/1968-1970: Breaking in the UK (Part Two)

More experimental, more psychedelic

17934484_598695107002143_8699801951375720448_n.jpg

Syd Barrett (left) and Roger Waters (right), the minds of The Pink Floyd.

The Pink Floyd were producing their second studio album, and Richard Wright brought his unreleased song, 'Paintbox', to mix. "Roger came to me and asked if we couldn't put Paintbox in the album. It was an opportunity to have another song in the album so, why not?", Richard Wright. Norman Smith, was also helping the band, providing arrangements, backing vocals, and even played the drums at 'Remember a Day'.

The studio became agitated when Syd brought sort of strange noises. This thing was called 'John Latham', a 30-minute instrumental piece, which was divided into nine parts. "I became confused while I was listening that. I was thinking: "What the hell is this? It had to be his [Syd] thing.", Norman Smith. Anyway, the band reworked and mixed the 30-minute piece and used only two parts of it. It would become one of the famous avant-garde/electronic music songs.

An overflowing number of songs

d72179a2ea1ae303a95ade031bcba5ad--xmas-music-music-studios.jpg

The Pink Floyd at the recording studio without David Gilmour.

Album's recording sessions were almost over. But the number of songs written were just overflowing. "We had a lot of songs. We could release them as singles, or record the new songs and make a double album.", Syd Barrett. Eventually, the idea of a double album was discarded due to the wear and fatigue of subsequent recordings (After record 'The Piper', the band already started to produce their second studio album, which was more work accumulated in the back of the Floyd.).

Problems with the tracklist

The Pink Floyd had recorded thirteen songs at the total. The problem would be that the tracks would exceed the limit that one side of the vinyl can handle. So some tracks they had to leave out. Initally, Syd Barrett, Roger Waters and Richard Wright proposed a tracklist each other.

TRACKLIST PROPOSED BY SYD BARRETT

1. Let There Be More Light
2. Vegetable Man
3. Scream Thy Last Scream
4. One In a Million
5. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
6. Paintbox/John Latham
7. Apples and Oranges
8. Remember a Day
9. In the Beechwoods
10. Jugband Blues

TRACKLIST PROPOSED BY ROGER WATERS

1. Vegetable Man
2. Let There Be More Light
3. Julia Dream
4. One In a Million/Corporal Clegg
5. John Latham
6. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
7. Paintbox
8. Remember a Day
9. In the Beechwoods
10. Jugband Blues

TRACKLIST PROPOSED BY RICHARD WRIGHT

1. Vegetable Man
3. Apples and Oranges
4. One in a Million
5. In the Beechwoods
6. John Latham
7. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
8. Paintbox/Remember a Day
9. Jugband Blues

In the end, Norman Smith proposed two versions, influenced by the three proposes, which was modified several times. 'John Latham', was divided into two parts again. Eventually, 'Scream Thy Last Scream', 'See-Saw' (a Pop-psychedelic song by Rick Wright), and 'Julia Dream', were excluded from the album, but appearing at the next one, 'Dreamboat Queen'. Requested by Roger Waters, One in a Million and Corporal Clegg would be merged together. "I accepted Roger's request because the two songs [One in a Million/Corporal Clegg] have a similar tone, and the riffs as well. I think that would combine with the end of the side A.", Norman Smith.

Announcement

To the happiness of their growing fanbase, The Pink Floyd announces their second studio album, '
Remember a Day'. The Piper was just the preparation for Remember a Day, which would be denominated the kick-off of the 'Space rock' genre, popularized by band such as The Pink Floyd themselves, Hawkwind and even The Beatles, and would influence artists like Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, and the early Barrett's solo career.

Last edited:
REMEMBER A DAY

Remember a Day is the second studio album by the psychedelic/space rock band, The Pink Floyd. It was released by EMI Columbia in the UK at 29 June 1968 and by Tower Records at 18 July 1968 in the US. It is the first album featuring the guitarist David Gilmour.

After the short US tour plus the presentation at the American Bandstand, The Pink Floyd returns to England to start the production of their second studio album, under the name of 'Apples and Oranges', the same name of the single which was released in the late 1967. In the early 1968, the musician David Gilmour (Barrett's old school friend) became the second guitarist of the band, which also co-led vocals at some tracks, such as 'Let There Be More Light' and 'One in a Million/Corporal Clegg'. As the previous album, the album was produced by Norman Smith.

Unlike 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn', Remember a Day have various compositions and vast styles encompassing psychedelic culture. It is considered the album that kicked off the 'Space rock' genre. The main single, 'Apples and Oranges', was released six months earlier and was included in the album, and like the title track, Remember a Day, and the song 'Set the Controls to the Heart of the Sun', the three songs were played live in Pink Floyd's last tours. The main track, Remember a Day, was released as single with 'Paintbox'. Both songs are credited to the keyboardist Richard Wright. The album peaked the #8 position at the UK album charts and #95 at the Billboard 200. In Europe, the album entered the Top 10 at the charts.

pinkfloydremember a day400.png

PINK FLOYD - REMEMBER A DAY (1968)
Genre: Psychedelic rock, space rock, experimental
Total: 48:54

Side A - 26:19
1. "Vegetable Man" (Barrett) - 2:31
2. "Let There Be More Light" (Waters, Wright) - 5:38
3. "Apples and Oranges" (Barrett) - 3:04
4. "Remember a Day" (Wright) - 4:33
5. "One in a Million/Corporal Clegg" (Waters) - 10:33

Side B - 22:35
6. "In the Beechwoods" (Barrett) - 4:43
7. "John Latham I"¹ (Barrett, Waters, Wright, Mason, Gilmour) - 2:47
8. "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" (Waters) - 5:27
9. "John Latham II"¹ (Barrett, Waters, Wright, Mason, Gilmour) - 2:49
10. "Paintbox" (Wright) - 3:47
11. "Jugband Blues" (Barrett) - 3:02
Personnel
Pink Floyd
Roger Waters - bass guitar; vocals [1], [5], [8]; backing vocals
Syd Barrett - lead guitar; acoustic guitar/slide guitar [4]; vocals [1], [3], [11]; backing vocals, mellotron
Richard Wright - vocals [2], [4], [5], [10]; backing vocals; piano; Farfisa organ; Hammond organ; mellotron
David Gilmour - guitars; vocals [2], [5]; backing vocals; kazoo
Nick Mason - drums; percussion; vocals [5]

Additional musicians
Norman Smith - producer; backing vocals; voice [5]
The Salvation Army on 'Jugband Blues'

Notes:
[¹] 'John Latham I' and 'John Latham II' are OTL 'John Latham Version 5' and 'John Latham Version 8', respectively.

Last edited:
REMEMBER A DAY

Remember a Day is the second studio album by the psychedelic/space rock band, The Pink Floyd. It was released by EMI Columbia in the UK at 29 June 1968 and by Tower Records at 18 July 1968 in the US. It is the first album featuring the guitarist David Gilmour.

After the short US tour plus the presentation at the American Bandstand, The Pink Floyd returns to England to start the production of their second studio album, under the name of 'Apples and Oranges', the same name of the single which was released in the late 1967. In the early 1968, the musician David Gilmour (Barrett's old school friend) became the second guitarist of the band, which also co-led vocals at some tracks, such as 'Let There Be More Light' and 'One in a Million/Corporal Clegg'. As the previous album, the album was produced by Norman Smith.

Unlike 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn', Remember a Day have various compositions and vast styles encompassing psychedelic culture. It is considered the album that kicked off the 'Space rock' genre. The main single, 'Apples and Oranges', was released six months earlier and was included in the album, and like the title track, Remember a Day, and the song 'Set the Controls to the Heart of the Sun', the three songs were played live in Pink Floyd's last tours. The main track, Remember a Day, was released as single with 'Paintbox'. Both songs are credited to the keyboardist Richard Wright. The album peaked the #8 position at the UK album charts and #95 at the Billboard 200. In Europe, the album entered the Top 10 at the charts.

View attachment 340304

PINK FLOYD - REMEMBER A DAY (1968)
Genre: Psychedelic rock, space rock, experimental
Total: 53:36

Side A - 26:19
1. "Vegetable Man" (Barrett) - 2:31
2. "Let There Be More Light" (Waters, Wright) - 5:38
3. "Apples and Oranges" (Barrett) - 3:04
4. "Remember a Day" (Wright) - 4:33
5. "One in a Million/Corporal Clegg" (Waters) - 10:33

Side B - 27:17
6. "In the Beechwoods" (Barrett) - 4:43
7. "John Latham I"¹ (Barrett, Waters, Wright, Mason, Gilmour) - 2:47
8. "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" (Waters) - 5:27
9. "John Latham II"¹ (Barrett, Waters, Wright, Mason, Gilmour) - 2:49
10. "Paintbox" (Wright) - 3:47
11. "Jugband Blues" (Barrett) - 3:02
Personnel
Pink Floyd
Roger Waters - bass guitar; vocals [1], [5], [8]; backing vocals
Syd Barrett - lead guitar; acoustic guitar/slide guitar [4]; vocals [1], [3], [11]; backing vocals, mellotron
Richard Wright - vocals [2], [4], [5], [10]; backing vocals; piano; Farfisa organ; Hammond organ; mellotron
David Gilmour - guitars; vocals [2], [5]; backing vocals; kazoo
Nick Mason - drums; percussion; vocals [5]

Additional musicians
Norman Smith - producer; backing vocals; voice [5]
The Salvation Army on 'Jugband Blues'

Notes:
[¹] 'John Latham I' and 'John Latham II' are OTL 'John Latham Version 5' and 'John Latham Version 8', respectively.
I feel like the album should be around the 40 minute range

Late 60's/1968-1970: Breaking in the UK and Europe (Part Three)
1247571083_0f4f2d181c.jpg

Hyde Park's free concert.
The Pink Floyd would play at larger venues than the last tours, such as on Europe and the UK, where they became a hit. In the United States, where they also toured, they had their fame, but not like in the other continent. In the same tour they would perform at the Hyde Park's Free Concert, the same day that the album was released in the UK and continental Europe, 29 June 1968. They would also appear at Netherlander, French and Belgian TV channels, and so the Top Gear and Radio One on England.

The Pink Floyd World Tour 1968
Typical setlist
1. Pow R. Toc H.
3. Astronomy Domine
4. Interstellar Overdrive
5. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
6. Vegetable Man/Scream Thy Last Scream
7. The Massed Gadgets of Hercules (early version of 'The End of the Beginning')
8. Remember a Day
9. Keep Smiling People (early version of 'Careful With That Axe, Eugene')
10. Jugband Blues
11. It Would Be So Nice (first performed on Summer 1968)

Occasional songs
a. Paintbox (once performed on 6 May 1968)
b. See Emily Play (once performed on 11 May 1968 and 26 July 1968)
c. Arnold Layne (once performed on 28 December 1968)

Recovering

"The tour made me feel great again!", Syd Barrett. "I had some good times with the guys, with Dave smoking a joint after the concerts, maybe.". The last gig of the Pink Floyd was in Utrecht, on 28 December 1968. On this occasion, Arnold Layne was played as an 15-minute encore, with Gilmour and Barrett singing in a duet. The band would still make some appearances at some TV channels in Europe and at the BBC Sessions, which they presented a new song called 'The Embryo'. After an exhaustive year, the members would finally, take some vacations. Syd still had the idea of leave Pink Floyd, but not after the tour as he expected. Barrett started to write songs to an eventual solo album, but he still was considering a member of Pink Floyd/gradually moving away.

BBC Session - 30 December 1968

Pink Floyd played their last BBC Session of 1968 one day before the New Year's Eve. Two new songs were performed, but 'Point Me At The Sky' was already known by some fans. The session would be released as many unofficial bootlegs, until the band official release in late 1969.

Tracklist:
1. Let There Be More Light
2. Julia Dream
3. Point Me At the Sky
4. Matilda Mother
5. Remember a Day
6. Baby Blue¹ (extract of 'The End of the Beginning')
7. The Embryo

Kevin Ayers

Syd Barrett met Kevin Ayers personally at the Hyde Park concert. They would develop a friendship during the 70's and both would help in the production of each other's albums. In early 1969, coincidentally, they met again on a trip that Syd was doing. Kevin gave to Syd an idea of a collaborative album, but it was eventually forgotten... until May of the same year.

Another album? Already?

Again, Pink Floyd would reunite at the EMI/Abbey Road Studios to produce their third studio album. It would be easier, some songs discarded from the previous album were needing to be overdubbed and remixed. Three songs from the tour were also planned to be on the album, 'Careful With That Axe, Eugene', 'The End of the Beginning', and 'It Would Be So Nice'. "When Rick came with that song here, I heard the demo and thought "Why do we need another pop song? See Emily Play is enough, why another 'poppish' song?", Roger Waters.

One day, David Gilmour entered the studio with a song. "We were a bit surprised.", Waters, "Well, Dave wrote a song without nobody knowing about it? That's new.". Actually, the song that Dave came into the studio was written by Michael Magne, and recorded to his film, 'A Coeur Joie'. "I talked to Magne and asked if I could rework the song into a track of Pink Floyd's new album that I was working. Surprisingly he let me use the song, and the guys also approved. Oh, well.", David Gilmour.

I really love you, and I mean you...
mig

Syd Barrett and Lindsay Korner, late 1968.

"
While the band was mixing their songs, I was writing another couple of songs for a projected solo album. One of the songs was for Lindsay [Korner], called 'Terrapin'.", Syd Barrett. They've needed another song to fill the album and Syd brought his "lovely" song. Pink Floyd would initially excel in the music world because of the length of their albums, which were slightly above average. Despite of it, the people would still buy their albums. A spectre of Syd Barrett's gradual detachment from his band was his musical contributions. While in 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' he practically dominated the entire album, in 'Dreamboat Queen' he contributed only one new song, already quoted, 'Terrapin' (though Scream Thy Last Scream was also included in the album, the song was already well known by the fans of the band).

Reminiscence of 1967

'Scream Thy Last Scream' was first performed in 1967, and was discarded of the 'Remember a Day' tracklist. Still, the song was played at the Pink Floyd's World Tour with 'Vegetable Man'. The song was issued as a potential single to promote Pink Floyd's tour, but they held the song to the album. Scream Thy Last Scream was the last song ever sung by the drummer Nick Mason, which his voice would appear again in 'Atom Heart Mother Suite', and 'One of These Days'.

From now on, the votes won't count anymore (accidentally put the wrong date, it should end on Friday). So, okay, the Pink Floyd will attend the Woodstock festival.

Late 60's/1968-1970: Another album, Syd and Ayers (short Part Four)

Almost there

A magazine leaked false rumours that the next Pink Floyd album would be a double album, one with a live side, and the other with new studio material, called Point Me At The Sky, and would be Syd's last work with The Pink Floyd. These rumours vanished away when the band announced the album, completely different of what the magazine proposed. "That was funny. Rog came with that "magazine leak" and when we saw it, the whole studio was full of laughters, and then, we've decided to announce the album as Dreamboat Queen.", David Gilmour. "But that idea of an album with a live side and a studio side was good that we've used that on Blackhill [the next album]."

Pink Floyd was mixing their newest album, announced as 'Dreamboat Queen', title extracted of the chorus of 'Julia Dream'. A week before, the band released 'It Would Be So Nice', a pop-psychedelic song by Richard Wright, with 'Scream Thy Last Scream', the famous unreleased Syd Barrett song, as B-side. "We've issued Point Me At The Sky, but Norman [Smith] suggested to hold the new material to the release of the album. So we chose Scream Thy Last Scream, since our fans already knew about that song.", Roger Waters.

Raising as manager
tumblr_nelnwmskH81s8ir5qo1_500.jpg

Pink Floyd (w/o Syd Barrett) with Steve O'Rourke

Steve O'Rourke's task was book the Pink Floyd gigs, but eventually, he started to gain some status on the Blackhill Enterprises, the management company founded by the Pink Floyd members with their managers, Peter Jenner and Andrew King, until he had turn into the third manager of Blackhill. The first task of O'Rourke as a manager was help Syd Barrett and Kevin Ayers on their sessions for a new album, despite still working with Pink Floyd's concert schedules.

Collaborative album

One day, Syd called Kevin Ayers to remind and propose the idea of a collaborative album. Ayers was planning to abandon the music world, until Jimi Hendrix give a guitar to him and say to don't stop to make music. The sessions would start slowly in May 1969 because Syd was busy with the Pink Floyd's album and pause during the Woodstock festival which Syd was going with Pink Floyd (Ayers was also invited, playing with the band). Both have written a considerable number of songs, and put into the desk to record them.

In June, the band scheduled two gigs, one at the Mothers Club in Birmingham, and another at the College of Commerce in Manchester. With the idea of that false leak, the band would create a double album, one side with the recordings of the performances and the other side with new material. After the release of the album, the band made a short tour in July between France, Netherlands, West Germany and, England (entitled Pink Floyd Summer Tour). Syd would not participate of the Summer tour, busy recording his album (despite he would participate of the Mothers Club, College of Commerce gigs plus Woodstock).

DREAMBOAT QUEEN

Dreamboat Queen is the third studio album by the Progressive/space rock band, Pink Floyd. It was released by the EMI/Columbia in the UK/continental Europe in 13 June 1969, and by the Tower Records (subsidiary of Capitol Records) in the US. It was produced by Norman Smith and James Guthrie.

With the increasing success, and recognition on the underground scene, the Pink Floyd starts their World Tour (UK, Europe and North America). The most famous appearance was at the Hyde Park's free concert, playing tunes from their debut album (The Piper at the Gates of Dawn), and their second album (Remember a Day) and even some unreleased songs at the time, which appeared at the album. Hyping a new album, the growing fan base of the band was demanding new material by the band. Some songs were performed at the BBC Session in 30 December 1968. Differently of Syd contributions, which predomined their debut album (10 out of 11 tracks), on their third album, Syd just wrote two songs, and co-wrote an instrumental, singing just one song, leaving the other song to Nick Mason (3 out of 11 tracks). As the previous album, Dreamboat Queen would experiment different styles united by the psychedelic culture, such as the progressive rock of 'The End of The Beginning', the pop-psychedelia of 'See Saw', and the folk of 'Terrapin'. With this album, Pink Floyd would be also known by their long-length albums.

The album peaked at #3 for three weeks at the UK Albums Chart, a new record for the Pink Floyd, and briefly rose at #70 at the Billboard 200, where the Pink Floyd cult was starting to grow up. In the continental Europe, the album topped in Netherlands for one month, and France, for two weeks. Pink Floyd released a week before the single "It Would Be So Nice/Scream Thy Last Scream", and one month later, "Point Me At The Sky/Julia Dream". The cover of the album was made by Storm Thorgherson, of Hipgnosis.

dreamboatqueencover400.png

PINK FLOYD - DREAMBOAT QUEEN (1969)
Genre: Progressive rock, psychedelic rock, space rock
Total: 55:52

Side A - 27:28
1. "Scream Thy Last Scream" (Barrett, Mason) - 4:42
2. "Julia Dream" (Waters)¹ - 2:34
3. "Point Me at the Sky" (Gilmour, Waters)¹ - 4:24
4. "The End of the Beginning" (Barrett, Waters, Wright, Mason, Gilmour) - 15:48
a. "Richard's Rave-Up" (Wright)² - 4:00
b. "Baby Blue" (Barrett, Mason, Gilmour)³ - 3:58
c. "Lady Divine" (Waters)
4 - 4:35
d. "Celestial Voices" (Wright) - 3:14

Side B - 28:24
5. "See-Saw" (Wright) - 4:38
6. "Pink Committee" (Barrett, Waters, Wright)
5 - 3:24
7. "It Would Be So Nice" (Wright) - 3:46
8. "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" (Waters) - 5:45
9. "Do You Want To Marry Me?" (Magne, Gilmour) - 2:35
10. "Terrapin" (Barrett) - 5:04
11. "Embryo" (Gilmour, Waters)¹ - 3:12
Personnel
Pink Floyd
David Gilmour - lead vocals [2], [3], [4.d], [9], [11]; backing vocals; guitars [2], [3], [4], [7], [8], [9], [11]
Roger Waters - lead vocals [3], [4.c], [8]; backing vocals; bass guitar
Syd Barrett - lead vocals [10]; backing vocals; guitars [1], [4], [5], [6], [9], [10]
Richard Wright - lead vocals [4.d], [5], [7]; backing vocals; keyboards; piano; Hammond organ; Farfisa organ; Mellotron; xylophone; vibraphone
Nick Mason - lead vocals [1]; drums; percussion

Additional personnel
Norman Smith - producer
James Guthrie - engineer

Notes:
[1] OTL BBC Session versions
[2] OTL Something Else, from A Saucerful of Secrets
[3] Baby Blue Shuffle in D Major
[4] Roger's Boogie
[5] Music from The Committee No. 2

One day, Syd called Kevin Ayers to remind and propose the idea of a collaborative album. Ayers was planning to abandon the music world, until Jimi Hendrix give a guitar to him and say to don't stop to make music. The sessions would start slowly in May 1969 because Syd was busy with the Pink Floyd's album and pause during the Woodstock festival which Syd was going with Pink Floyd (Ayers was also invited, playing with the band). Both have written a considerable number of songs, and put into the desk to record them.

I'm looking forward to seeing a tracklist for a Barrett/Ayers album from this timeline - I've had an idea for a while of a timeline where Syd, Kevin, and Richard Wright form a band circa 1969 - Maybe with Mike Oldfield in the mix as well, as he was in Kevin's "the Whole World" band in OTL

It'll be interesting to see what this all means for Tyrannosaurus Rex too, as Marc Bolan's pre-Glam material had a lot of similarities to the eccentric psychedelia that Syd & Kevin wrote at the time.

I've had an idea for a while of a timeline where Syd, Kevin, and Richard Wright form a band circa 1969 - Maybe with Mike Oldfield in the mix as well, as he was in Kevin's "the Whole World" band in OTL

I'd love to see how this could develop. Since Rick is my favourite member, I'd like to see an Ayers/Barrett/Wright album.

It'll be interesting to see what this all means for Tyrannosaurus Rex too, as Marc Bolan's pre-Glam material had a lot of similarities to the eccentric psychedelia that Syd & Kevin wrote at the time.

I don't like to be so much focused on Pink Floyd, I really need to listen to other contemporary Early 60's bands. T. Rex is one of these bands. Maybe I can try to make something with them, or with Bolan on the timeline.

I don't like to be so much focused on Pink Floyd, I really need to listen to other contemporary Early 60's bands. T. Rex is one of these bands. Maybe I can try to make something with them, or with Bolan on the timeline.

It really depends what aspect of Syd's songwriting you want amplified in the 1970s - if it's the whimsical side, Ayers is a good collaborator - if you are thinking of him going towards glam, T-Rex is the best fit.. The Tyrannosaurus Rex song 'Elemental Child' has a huge Syd-like jam at the end.

Another option is the spiky-end of art-rock, collaborating with Brian Eno once Eno leaves Roxy Music - maybe Syd becomes Eno's guitarist of choice instead of Robert Fripp.. or maybe he appears on some of John Cale's unhinged mid-'70s albums.

I do have a feeling that if Pink Floyd keep their Syd influence, Roger Waters will be tempted to go his own way to pursue his vision (basically the sort of progressive-blues that Pink Floyd mastered in OTL) by the mid 1970s.

Last edited:
if it's the whimsical side, Ayers is a good collaborator - if you are thinking of him going towards glam, T-Rex is the best fit..

The idea of Ayers being a songwriting contributor to Syd on the Early 70's is great, thank you! (Also, I really don't know how to express my gratitude to everyone, I always just say 'thank you', I'm looking like a robot, lol.)

And let me share a little spoiler (I really hope it doesn't affect your reading, as well as that of many who appreciate the timeline, but I'm sure that won't affect anything)
The Early 70's Syd's solo career gradual progression: Psychedelic, Progressive, and then, Glam Syd. This is my idea since the start of the timeline.

I do have a feeling that if Pink Floyd keep their Syd influence, Roger Waters will be tempted to go his own way to pursue his vision (basically the sort of progressive-blues that Pink Floyd mastered in OTL) by the mid 1970s.

I think that Syd's influence IOTL is heard on their pre-Dark Side albums, even more in pastoral and some electric songs of Atom Heart Mother (If/Fat Old Sun/Rise and Shine), Meddle (Fearless) and Obscured by Clouds (Obscured by Clouds-When You're In/Wot's... Uh the Deal/Free Four). Basically, yes, I assume that the post-Syd Pink Floyd will follow as OTL, maybe I'll change something there, or else... (When Syd leaves definitely from Pink Floyd, I will have, like, 90% focus on him and his solo career than in the band.)