Two Deaths at Bosworth

Who becomes King?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

krieger

Banned
This is true, that's going to be a fascinating thing to observe. Edward growing up, and Elizabeth having to be his wife/pseudo mother figure.

I think she could manipulate her husband and be one calling the shots under his rule.

krieger

Banned
You think so? Everything I've read about her doesn't suggest she was very political.

She was smart, and without her husband being an skillful adult man and without despotic mother-in-law she has plenty of political space to express herself.

If Jasper doesn't survive, than Parliament will decide who will be next king with no doubt. Despite all of this, we don't know who would they choose, but for me it'd be either Edward Stafford, John/Henry Holland (if they're alive) or Edward of Warwick. I think that Elizabeth of York as a Queen Regnant with foreign consort would not gather significant following among MPs.

Was Parliament sitting at the time Bosworth was fought?

Even if it was, Richard's death would automatically dissolve it. And only the King could summon a new one, so somebody would have to have already been proclaimed KIng in order to do so.

VVD0D95

Banned

Even if it was, Richard's death would automatically dissolve it. And only the King could summon a new one, so somebody would have to have already been proclaimed KIng in order to do so.

This is very true, in which case the stalemate continues until one of the factions finds a King to proclaim. I think @krieger and I were talking abotu Warwick being proclaimed King and married to Elizabeth of York.

She was smart, and without her husband being an skillful adult man and without despotic mother-in-law she has plenty of political space to express herself.

And Elizabeth Woodville's daughter is likely to be quite a tough cookie.

I suspect EoY was a bit like Catherine of Braganza. As wife of Charles II she was utterly insignificant, but after his death she did a perfectly competent job as Regent of Portugal. Had EoY been widowed while her sons were still young, it might well have been the same for her.

VVD0D95

Banned
And Elizabeth Woodville's daughter is likely to be quite a tough cookie.

I suspect she was a bit like Catherine of Braganza. As wife of Charles II she was utterly insignificant, but after his death she did a perfectly competent job as Regent of Portugal. Had EoY been widowed while her sons were still young, it might well have been the same for her.

So, likely she will be running the ship for a few years during Edward of Warwick's regency and perhaps dictating terms behind the scenes once he's of age.

I am late to the party but, in a scenario where everything goes like in OTL except for Henry Tudor's death, what about a succession to Edward Stafford, OTL Duke of Buckingham? From the perspective of the Oxford, Northumberland, Jasper Tudor and the Stanleys he essentially provide all the advantages coming with the Earl of Warwick.

Moreover, he also happen to not be a Yorkist prince who might one day decide to turn toward the Ricardian Yorkists, he is half-Woodville and therefore probably a relatively reassuring figures to the supporters of Edward IV's children's and he has Lancastrian blood through his grandmother Margaret Beaufort.

Their age difference would make it a bit of a stretch but a marriage with Elizabeth of York wouldn't be completely impossible either.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
I am late to the party but, in a scenario where everything goes like in OTL except for Henry Tudor's death, what about a succession to Edward Stafford, OTL Duke of Buckingham? From the perspective of the Oxford, Northumberland, Jasper Tudor and the Stanleys he essentially provide all the advantages coming with the Earl of Warwick.

Moreover, he also happen to not be a Yorkist prince who might one day decide to turn toward the Ricardian Yorkists, he is half-Woodville and therefore probably a relatively reassuring figures to the supporters of Edward IV's childrens and while not a Lancastrian in the strictest sense he would arguably be the next in line in their line of succession (with anybody from Yorkists descent being disqualified due to attainder bills).

Their age difference would make it a bit of a stretch but a marriage with Elizabeth of York wouldn't be completely impossible either.

Possible, though his father was recently attainted for treason, and as long as Warwick's around there are going to be people pushing for him, no?

Possible, though his father was recently attainted for treason, and as long as Warwick's around there are going to be people pushing for him, no?
For treason against Richard III, that would be more of a positive point for him in the eyes of the Lancastrian-Stanleys-Northumberland then anything else at this point.

As for Warwick, yes that's quite possible but it was also true in OTL for Henry VII.

Mind you, technically and upon further research Eleanor Beaufort would technically come before the Staffords but I simply don't see king Robert and the Royal House of Spencer being well accepted with the overall feudal snobbery of the time and with the Woodvilles as a precedent.

VVD0D95

Banned
For treason against Richard III, that would be more of a positive point for him in the eyes of the Lancastrian-Stanleys-Northumberland then anything else at this point.

As for Warwick, yes that's quite possible but it was also true in OTL for Henry VII.

Mind you, technically and upon further research Eleanor Beaufort would technically come before the Staffords but I simply don't see king Robert and the Royal House of Spencer being well accepted with the overall feudal snobbery of the time and with the Woodvilles as a precedent.

Don't think Eleanor would count would she? She's from an illegitimate line after all, and if we're counting the Beauforts, Margaret would probably be before her, coming from the senior male line.

Don't think Eleanor would count would she? She's from an illegitimate line after all, and if we're counting the Beauforts, Margaret would probably be before her, coming from the senior male line.
That's actually a rather common misconception: English common-law at the time held that childrens where to be deemed legitimate if their parents latter married. As such, Jpohn of Gaunt marriage with Katherine Swynford made the Beauforts legitimate in the legal sense of the term, tough still coming after John's other legitimate descendants who might have claims.

Henry IV did proclaim that they couldn't inherit the crown but that tend to strike me as a two weights two measures from a legal standpoint: the guy used an act of parliament to justify deposing Richard II and succeeding him over the heirs both Richard's and normal succession procedures designated. As such, the very idea of a king unilaterally changing the order of succession with parliamentary ascent essentially goes against the very precedent he used to justify his kingship.

VVD0D95

Banned
That's actually a rather common misconception: English common-law at the time held that childrens where to be deemed legitimate if their parents latter married. As such, Jpohn of Gaunt marriage with Katherine Swynford made the Beauforts legitimate in the legal sense of the term, tough still coming after John's other legitimate descendants who might have claims.

Henry IV did proclaim that they couldn't inherit the crown but that tend to strike me as a two weights two measures from a legal standpoint: the guy used an act of parliament to justify deposing Richard II and succeeding him over the heirs both Richard's and normal succession procedures designated. As such, the very idea of a king unilaterally changing the order of succession with parliamentary ascent essentially goes against the very precedent he used to justify his kingship.

So, would they be considered valid in the line of succession? And if so, would they be behind the York dynasty?

So, would they be considered valid in the line of succession? And if so, would they be behind the York dynasty?
By blood and common law yes, completely. As for being behind the Yorkists, if you by pure primogeniture they would be behind them but legally speaking the whole Lancastrian claim was based on the idea parliament could change that so they would be put above the Yorks, as per the decision of the Parliament of 1399. Moreover, you can always resort to the good old having attainders being passed against them.

The one claimant who might maybe go for the Lancastrian succession over them would be the Marquess of Dorset, as descendant of Elizabeth of Lancaster. That one would essentially depend which one would prevail between children who where born legitimate get priority over those legitimated by subsequent marriage vs sons come before daughters in the succession order. I admit I don't know that much on 15th century English Common law :p

VVD0D95

Banned
By blood and common law yes, completely. As for being behind the Yorkists, if you by pure primogeniture they would be behind them but legally speaking the whole Lancastrian claim was based on the idea parliament could change that so they would be put above the Yorks, as per the decision of the Parliament of 1399. Moreover, you can always resort to the good old having attainders being passed against them.

The one claimant who might maybe go for the Lancastrian succession over them would be the Marquess of Dorset, as descendant of Elizabeth of Lancaster. That one would essentially depend which one would prevail between children who where born legitimate get priority over those legitimated by subsequent marriage vs sons come before daughters in the succession order. I admit I don't know that much on 15th century English Common law :p

Lol fair. Tbf, I could see Elizabeth Woodville wanting her daughter to be Queen regardless of who is her husband.

Indeed. Though if Thomas Stanley has any power in the new court her OTL mother-in-law will be present!

Were the Lancastrians counting via daughters of daughters though? Sons of daughters seemed a big enough stretch considering their original son lines only idea.
This way they're moving towards son lines first then grandson lines.
Lol fair. Tbf, I could see Elizabeth Woodville wanting her daughter to be Queen regardless of who is her husband.
Indeed. Lol.

On the whole I think Stanley would promote Elizabeth marrying the leading male claimant (whoever that is) and Jasper would promote his stepson Stafford as next of the Beaufort descendants. The Wodevilles would push for Elizabeth too.
So I'm coming round to Stafford having the attainder on Buckingham removed and married to Elizabeth. Stanley and Jasper as "regents" for Stafford, probably with Stanley as Lord Protector. Much talk will be had about Elizabeth's role and her mother, especially whether Elizabeth could hold any regnant powers.

krieger

Banned

It always could gather illegally, no problem.

Indeed. Though if Thomas Stanley has any power in the new court her OTL mother-in-law will be present!

She would be present, but nowhere near OTL level of influence.