Status
Not open for further replies.
And yeah, I agree with The Congressman. No way they could win in '72 unless the Reps choose an absolute shit candidate and the Constitution Party remains to be... the Constitution Party.
The Republicans are heavily favoured in 1972. The main candidate as of 1969 seems to be George Romney. That being said Romney was known for his gaffes so it’s really anyone’s game

Update 77: Department of Community and Rural Development & John G. Crommelin
One of the least controversial moves in Lyndon B. Johnson's second term was the creation of the Department of Community & Rural Development. Following Bryan Dorn's election to the senate, one of his main goals was to push for a federal department that would supply better housing for rural regions. During the mid 1960s, many people migrated from the rust belt and northeast to the job-heavy Coal Belt states of Arkansas, West Virginia, and Kentucky. With this came a housing crisis, and it began to affect those states economies. In Dorn's home state of South Carolina, rural areas had suffered from undeveloped housing for years. This was also an issue in much of the Deep South, and with this, Dorn's plan became quite popular. Notably, senators from across all parties in the senate (minus the New York Liberal Party) supported the idea. However, the department gained opposition from a few politicians in plains states. One of the more famous politicians to do so was Glen Taylor, who opposed the creation of the department on the grounds that it would lead to too much industrial destruction of the local environment. The biggest supporter of Taylor's actions became Ted Kaczynski, who ended up moving to Idaho to work on Taylor's unsuccessful re-election campaign and would end up becoming quite influential in Idaho's politics (and a continuous supporter of the destruction of the Department of Community & Rural Development)[1].

The man to be chosen for the position became quite obvious. John G. Crommelin was a former Admiral and white supremacist. However, in 1954, he ran for senate as an independent candidate, but faced an assassination attempt from a white liberal protester. Following his near death experience, Crommelin began to move against his old ideas. In the coming years, Crommelin faced attacks from former white supremacists and supported George Wallace in 1958. During the Alabama "Klan-Corruption" trials, Crommelin outed many of his former supporters who were members of the KKK. Following this, Crommelin ended up growing in popularity and worked with the Alabama black community to push for civil rights. Crommelin ended up getting pushed into running for Lt. Governor despite some of his feelings against running for elected office. Crommelin ended up working surprisingly close with several federal government officials and became close with Johnson. As Crommelin had pushed for an improvement of rural housing as Lt. Governor, he quickly shot up the lists for Secretary of Community & Rural Development.

After being nominated, Crommelin was easily approved by congress. Even Southern congresspeople, who may have problems with Crommelin's (new) more racially progressive views, supported putting a southerner in a position that would mainly affect the South. After being appointed, Crommelin helped created more and more housing throughout rural areas across the United States. With this, Crommelin became quite popular throughout the South, and was pushed to run for president in 1972. Despite this, Crommelin refused to run for president or accept any other positions
jSqxZiM.png
[2]
[1] Let's reform two IOTL terrible people in one update! Kaczynski/Gravel 1972!
[2] J U D D I S B A C K

Awesome. I'm glad to see efforts being taken to help out rural regions proving that TTL is not a complete disaster for all involved. But this update is quite telling, namely that to the absolute surprise of no one, the Republicans win the '72 election.

Awesome. I'm glad to see efforts being taken to help out rural regions proving that TTL is not a complete disaster for all involved. But this update is quite telling, namely that to the absolute surprise of no one, the Republicans win the '72 election.
You do know Judd is Ambassador to the PRC under (checks political party list) Democrat Lyndon B. Johnson right

You do know Judd is Ambassador to the PRC under (checks political party list) Democrat Lyndon B. Johnson right

I had not realized that, but I find it hilarious that LBJ chose to make him Ambassador to the PRC given his OTL persuasions. However, my assumption was that he would be made a full on secretary by a fellow Republican.

I had not realized that, but I find it hilarious that LBJ chose to make him Ambassador to the PRC given his OTL persuasions. However, my assumption was that he would be made a full on secretary by a fellow Republican.
Speaking of Republicans and 1972, here are the potential candidates for all three major parties in 1972! If you want I can set up a straw poll
UK01ePj.png

KFmiwao.png

b1VvtS5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.