Twilight of the Valkyries: A 20 July Plot TL (Redux)

which claims that German Communists and/or Jews were responsible for the German Empire's downfall during World War I (which is of course an exaggeration at best and a half-truth at worst [italics added —Ed.) since it ignores the fact that one of the reasons why Germany lost World War I was due to the United States' intervention

What role did those two groups play in the downfall of the Prussian Empire? Because as I understand it the answer is nil, lol, given the failure of the military dictatorship running the country.

Ficboy

Banned
What role did those two groups play in the downfall of the Prussian Empire? Because as I understand it the answer is nil, lol, given the failure of the military dictatorship running the country.
It had something to do with the whole failed German Revolution of 1918-1919 which had both Jewish and non-Jewish communists involved as well as mutinous soldiers and sailors in Kiel. What I've said about this myth is that it is a distorted version of world history.

Last edited:

Ficboy

Banned
As I said, the entire explanation will be the Valkyrie bunch were a bunch of Jewish patsies who were funded by something-something Illuminatis-Rothchild-Lizard People. The fact that no Jews were ever actually involved is irrelevant: their involvement will just be bullshitted in to the Anti-Semites narrative.
Well the more level-headed and "rational" types will realize that the Operation Valkyrie plotters had zero Jewish involvement whatsoever and thus the anti-Semites, neo-Nazis and Holocaust deniers are going to have to find some other way to handwave why these ethnic Germans destroyed Nazi Germany on July 20, 1944.

The clean Wehrmacht stuff is going to be way more prominent in TTL's post-Nazi era Germany especially with the 20th July plot's success. There are even going to be monuments related to Wehrmacht soldiers and/or the 20 July plotters.
Maybe some of them will even pass themselves off as the liberators of the camps, the officers and soldiers who shut down the gas chambers and saved a number of Jews from certain death. The fact a number of them were either active participants to war crimes or knew about it and did nothing, and they are still going to use Jews as slave labor, will be irrelevant to that narrative.

Yeah but @Ficboy you understand why they picked their version and didn’t care about the USA as you went on about right? It had nothing to do with who was really to blame, which is why the USA wasn’t mentioned.

It wasn’t a half truth or exaggeration—it was just a Big Lie. So any myth about the coup will almost certainly be a Big Lie, rather than having any factual basis

Ficboy

Banned
Yeah but @Ficboy you understand why they picked their version and didn’t care about the USA as you went on about right? It had nothing to do with who was really to blame, which is why the USA wasn’t mentioned.

It wasn’t a half truth or exaggeration—it was just a Big Lie. So any myth about the coup will almost certainly be a Big Lie, rather than having any factual basis
Of course it was a myth.

Ficboy

Banned
Maybe some of them will even pass themselves off as the liberators of the camps, the officers and soldiers who shut down the gas chambers and saved a number of Jews from certain death. The fact a number of them were either active participants to war crimes or knew about it and did nothing, and they are still going to use Jews as slave labor, will be irrelevant to that narrative.
Yeah. Everything I've just said will happen because of Operation Valkyrie's success in TTL.

Ficboy

Banned
A good portion of the July 20/Operation Valkyrie plotters were either averse to Nazism or outright hated it and disgusted at what they were doing towards certain groups in Eastern Europe. Some like Claus von Stauffenberg were originally supportive of these genocidal measures until they realized how bad it really was and changed their minds.

A good portion of the July 20/Operation Valkyrie plotters were either averse to Nazism or outright hated it and disgusted at what they were doing towards certain groups in Eastern Europe. Some like Claus von Stauffenberg were originally supportive of these genocidal measures until they realized how bad it really was and changed their minds.
I wasn't talking about the Valkyrie plotters, I was talking about the current regime in Germany, top leadership downwards, which doesn't exactly view the July 20 coup members in a favorable light. While the current regime is going to put a stop to the genocide, many of them were pretty ok with it before and they're still going to use Jews as slave labor.

Much of it tends to revolve blaming certain groups of people collectively for this or that because some of their own did something bad in their point of view. Since Operation Valkyrie succeeds in TTL and no Jews were ever involved in it they're going to have to find another way to handwave why ethnic Germans overthrew Nazi Germany and the Nazi Party without any supposed Jewish manipulation.

I dont think conspiracy theorists (especially ones based on racism) need much logic to fester sadly. Those that want to deny the holocaust will do so regardless of facts or figures :(

Where is Hitler buried ITTL?

It's funny, I hadn't even realized I never touched upon Hitler's funeral, which is sort of baffling in retrospect. I better touch upon that subject the next time we visit Speer or Eva Braun (thanks for bringing it up!), but my guess is a temporary burial in Berlin at a suitable location, to be followed by an enormous memorial designed by President Speer.

Wouldn't Rommel have been brought back by now?

It's only been a month since Rommel was heavily injured at an allied air raid, and though he's made near miraculous progress - just like in OTL, where he wasn't even expected to survive the first few days - a long period of convalescence awaits him. Sources indicate that he was mostly well by OTL September and practically recovered in October, so it will be a while before we see Rommel play an active role.

It's funny, I hadn't even realized I never touched upon Hitler's funeral, which is sort of baffling in retrospect. I better touch upon that subject the next time we visit Speer or Eva Braun (thanks for bringing it up!), but my guess is a temporary burial in Berlin at a suitable location, to be followed by an enormous memorial designed by President Speer.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Soviets, when they reach Berlin, make it a point to completely destroy Hitler's burial place, maybe even exhume him just to burn the corpse into ashes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Soviets, when they reach Berlin, make it a point to completely destroy Hitler's burial place, maybe even exhume him just to burn the corpse into ashes.
From what I understand and I could be wrong, Stalin ordered Hitler's remains buried in some woods in Austria.
EDIT: It must've been East Germany, not Austria.

Last edited: