Twilight of the Red Tsar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck Islamism and Islamists.

Great update. Very realistic and could easily see it happening. In fact, it is happening irl - many shades of Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Taliban Afghanistan there.

Last edited:
The Muslim Brotherhood is thinking about reintroducing slavery in Egypt? Okay, what the actual fuck.

The Muslim Brotherhood ITTL is under the control of Qutbists, the dominant ideology of Al Qaeda and a popular ideology amongst those in Daesh as well. They are utterly amoral and utterly opposed to anything that doesn't subscribe to their incredibly narrow interpretation of Sunni Islam, as such I wouldn't put it past them to start debating whether or not slavery is consistent with their views.

The real problem is that they're so terrible at actual governance that it's hard to imagine them running a country as large as Egypt for any long period of time. Even if the way things are portrayed in the update seems to indicate that they're on their way out.

The Muslim Brotherhood ITTL is under the control of Qutbists, the dominant ideology of Al Qaeda and a popular ideology amongst those in Daesh as well. They are utterly amoral and utterly opposed to anything that doesn't subscribe to their incredibly narrow interpretation of Sunni Islam, as such I wouldn't put it past them to start debating whether or not slavery is consistent with their views.

The real problem is that they're so terrible at actual governance that it's hard to imagine them running a country as large as Egypt for any long period of time. Even if the way things are portrayed in the update seems to indicate that they're on their way out.

I hope so, if they won't be kicked out of power with extreme prejudice they'll start thinking about turning Egypt's archaeological and historical heritage into a pile of dust, because that's how Al Qaeda and ISIS roll.

And they'll probably start thinking about genociding the Copts, too.

This is a pretty dark update. I do think it demonstrates that, IOTL, Islamism was the result of the failure of Nasserism, and so with Nasserism failing earlier, Islamism rises earlier.

This is a pretty dark update. I do think it demonstrates that, IOTL, Islamism was the result of the failure of Nasserism, and so with Nasserism failing earlier, Islamism rises earlier.

But it appears Islamism itself is beginning to teeter. As the update indicated, people are getting tired of the poverty and the oppression, and the thought of "retaking the Sinai" is becoming less and less useful as a rallying cry.

The only saving grace here is that destroying a Pyramid would take considerably more explosive than blowing up a Statue of a Buddha. (I think that's one of the destructions in Afghanistan)

The only saving grace here is that destroying a Pyramid would take considerably more explosive than blowing up a Statue of a Buddha. (I think that's one of the destructions in Afghanistan)

if they indeed blow up any ancient Egyptian sites aside from the Pyramids, I would imagine the international community howling at the destruction of heritage sites.

if they indeed blow up any ancient Egyptian sites aside from the Pyramids, I would imagine the international community howling at the destruction of heritage sites.

I'm not sure that there would be much of a difference in the international reaction to blowing up the Great Pyramid at Giza and blowing up the Sphinx. (In fact blowing up the Sphinx seems more likely than not iTTL.) :(

But it appears Islamism itself is beginning to teeter. As the update indicated, people are getting tired of the poverty and the oppression, and the thought of "retaking the Sinai" is becoming less and less useful as a rallying cry.

Islamism in Egypt is less of a rallying cry. But Islamism elsewhere will continue to grow, as Arab countries follow the leader.

Islamism in Egypt is less of a rallying cry. But Islamism elsewhere will continue to grow, as Arab countries follow the leader.

And Iran could fall to Shia Islamism just like IOTL, but this time in response to rising Sunni radicalism in the Arab world.

Can't the Shah survive and become the only sane man besides Israel and a source of stability in the Middle East?

Depends if he continued his same policies like OTL. And it also depends on how useful the US finds him as an ally now that the Soviets are finished as a world power.

If his reforms didn't work, and he remained an oppressive jerk, than most likely he won't survive.

Depends if he continued his same policies like OTL. And it also depends on how useful the US finds him as an ally now that the Soviets are finished as a world power.

If his reforms didn't work, and he remained an oppressive jerk, than most likely he won't survive.

If the rest of the Arab world really goes off the deep end as it seems, then the US would find Iran to be a very useful ally in the region.

(And keep things on order while the USSR to the north of them clash and burns.)

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Fuck Islamism and Islamists.

Great update. Very realistic and could easily see it happening. In fact, it is happening irl - many shades of Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Taliban Afghanistan there.
Really?

So very much out of line.

No expenses paid week on the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.