Twilight of the Red Tsar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Son: “Dad! We’ve been discriminated against for thousands of years, been persecuted in almost every country we’ve ever been in, hated, insulted, shot at and got two Holocausts within the space of ten years!”

Rabbi: “Exactly! The fact there’s any of us left proves that God’s got to exist!”
My dad says something similar about jews, and we're not even jewish.

Son: “Dad! We’ve been discriminated against for thousands of years, been persecuted in almost every country we’ve ever been in, hated, insulted, shot at and got two Holocausts within the space of ten years!”

Rabbi: “Exactly! The fact there’s any of us left proves that God’s got to exist!”

My dad says something similar about jews, and we're not even jewish.

In the words of Reb Tevye, "I know, I know. We are Your chosen people. But, once in a while, can't You choose someone else?"

But more seriously, a lot of theodicies are going to come out of the Soviet Pogrom.

As a Jew, I kind of agree with that statement, but personally I consider myself a deist: I don't think God favors anybody.

Given the more Objectivist tendencies of the GOP, how this will play with the Religious Right? Will the Democratic Party become the populist party, representating the unions and the dixiecrats, along with some evangelical (see OTL Carter)?

I strongly doubt that given how the Religious Right are devout followers of Social Conservatism and following traditional values, which would clash fiercely with the Objectivist mentality of throwing those values to the wind. This will could have the positive consequence of keeping them out of politics and create a secular socially liberal political right more willing to embrace social change.

Not to speak for Lost Freeway, but me for myself I still can't believe any neo-Nazis are true believers. Racists ass-holes wearing the skin of a dead movement, sure, but real classical 'Jews are evil illuminati communist witches'? Original Nazi thought is just too alien a concept to really believe for a modern people I think. 'Nazi' just has great brand recognition.
Not all of them, but I have met quite a few who truly believe everything that Adolf Hitler said about the Jews.

One of the obvious brights of this TL, which I talk about against the backdrop of recent tensions, is Korea's reunification. It is interesting that North Korea couldn't really establish itself as a state. Kim Il Sung was tossed from power, preventing North Koreans from having a larger than life leader. The country was pummeled by the Red Army. I believe reunification will be a lot easier, because North Koreans never had the environment to consolidate their nation and build a seperate identity.

One of the obvious brights of this TL, which I talk about against the backdrop of recent tensions, is Korea's reunification. It is interesting that North Korea couldn't really establish itself as a state. Kim Il Sung was tossed from power, preventing North Koreans from having a larger than life leader. The country was pummeled by the Red Army. I believe reunification will be a lot easier, because North Koreans never had the environment to consolidate their nation and build a seperate identity.

That is true, though I wonder if Vietnam will fill that role in this timeline by remaining divided.

Plus they saw what being Communist and Russian brought 'em.

Plus they saw what being Communist and Russian brought 'em.

Yes, along with Jews and Chinese, former North Koreans, stung by treachery, are going to be some of the most rabidly anti-left people imaginable.

In fact, once Korea liberalizes, there will be a lot of literature about how miserable North Korea was to live in.

I wonder how South Africa has been influenced by all the chaos that has happened.

I think it would be too simplistic to say "apartheid is under less scrutiny".

Yes, the US would increase its ties to South Africa, as would the rest of the West.

But I think there could be significant changes beyond that.

1) Remember, the officials who supported apartheid often held Nazi sympathies. Since the Soviet Pogrom, anti-semitism is considered the most appalling attitude to have. So would the most blatant apartheid racists be rendered unpopular, leading to some of the worst aspects of apartheid being moderated?

2) How has South Africa's Jewish community changed politically? Many South African Jews played a role in the anti-apartheid movement. Joe Slovo, who was Jewish, was a prominent Communist. Has the revelation of the Soviet Pogrom not only pushed them to the right, but made them give on anti-apartheid altogether, and adopt the siege mentality of Afrikaners?

3) Are ties between South Africa and Israel stronger then ever?

4) What have Nelson Mandela and other ANC leaders done? Like the Civil Rights Movement, have they pushed out the Communist Party, realizing how toxic the label is now? Have they also chosen syndicalism as an ideology?

5) Since the Cold War is now ending early, will there be a backlash against apartheid in the West?

On a related note, what has happened in Rhodesia ITTL?

I wonder how South Africa has been influenced by all the chaos that has happened

I believe Napoleon said that France and Great Britain feel more secure about their colonial empires thanks to the Suez Crisis going the other way, it butterflied Macmillan's "Winds of Change" speech and prevent the Union of South Africa from leaving the commonwealth to become a Republic like OTL. Which could mean a more developed economy and slowing down the implementation of Apartheid when news of the Second Holocaust.

I believe Napoleon said that France and Great Britain feel more secure about their colonial empires thanks to the Suez Crisis going the other way, it butterflied Macmillan's "Winds of Change" speech and prevent the Union of South Africa from leaving the commonwealth to become a Republic like OTL. Which could mean a more developed economy and slowing down the implementation of Apartheid when news of the Second Holocaust.

So you think the Afrikaners would have enough self awareness to draw comparisons between the policies of Hitler and Stalin, and themselves and not go full throttle? I doubt that.

But then again, a non-dysfunctional democratic South Africa that eases its way into multiracial suffrage could be a positive that results from the TL.

So you think the Afrikaners would have enough self awareness to draw comparisons between the policies of Hitler and Stalin, and themselves and not go full throttle? I doubt that.
Here's the thing. Going full Stalin is how you wind up with a US CVN group off your coast, going "Yo, we heard you went Stalin. Have some Freedom!"

Especially since here, they saw what happened when you don't act in time.

But then again, a non-dysfunctional democratic South Africa that eases its way into multiracial suffrage could be a positive that results from the TL.

No I damn don't if i'm being honest. Though they may benefit by being allowed to fully incorporate Namibia in the future

Here's the thing. Going full Stalin is how you wind up with a US CVN group off your coast, going "Yo, we heard you went Stalin. Have some Freedom!"

Especially since here, they saw what happened when you don't act in time.

I don't think that would happen. But I do believe that, with the Cold War ending, Knowland may be less tolerant of apartheid, having just expanded civil rights at home.

No I damn don't if i'm being honest. Though they may benefit by being allowed to fully incorporate Namibia in the future

They would, but not the Namibians.

I don't think that would happen. But I do believe that, with the Cold War ending, Knowland may be less tolerant of apartheid, having just expanded civil rights at home.
Not really, not acting against South Africa is how you wind up being compared to Stalin. That's a bad thing in the US, because that's how you lose elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.